HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 9:26 PM

Land Development Code Rewrite/CodeNEXT

I think this is potentially one of the most important endeavors the city can embark on and could (depending on what results) have important ramifications for how the City of Austin develops over the next 50 years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...l?iana=ind_cre

The city council has made its first nominations for the committee that will help craft the initial draft of the land development code.

The following were named to the committee:
Will Herring, appointed by Mayor Lee Leffingwell
Stephen Oliver, by Councilman Chris Riley
Chris Bradford, by Mayor Pro Tem Sheryl Cole
Jim Duncan, appointed by Councilwoman Laura Morrison
Jeff Jack, by Councilwoman Kathie Tovo
Brian Reis, by Councilman Mike Martinez

Councilman Bill Spelman asked for an extension on his nomination.
Spelman would have appointed Michele Rogerson-Lynch of Metcalfe Wolff Stuart & Williams LLP but she was disqualified by rules preventing lobbyists from participating on the committee. He asked for a couple of weeks to come up with a new selection.

I like the appointments of Stephen Oliver and Chris Bradford. The appointment of Jeff Jack was entirely unsurprising.

Anyway, I thought it'd be appropriate to keep track of the process and progress on this board.

Last edited by Komeht; Feb 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 10:49 PM

If we actually go to a form based code, that would be huge. Can't see Jeff Jack going for that, though.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
If we actually go to a form based code, that would be huge. Can't see Jeff Jack going for that, though.
If Miami can do it, I don't see why Austin can't. I would hope, expect, even demand that at the very least a close look at and discussion of Miami 21 be part of the mix.

Of course, Austin doesn't have Andres Duany to champion a form based code. I could see Chris Bradford and Stephen Oliver as being receptive to the idea - not sure about the others.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:08 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

While I am not really a fan of lobbyists, I agree with Spelman that if you are going to do a process like this, you really should not leave anybody out of the conversation. I feel that the NIMBY's are pushing pretty hard to get their way and people like Laura Morrison and Kathie Tovo are right in the middle of it.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
While I am not really a fan of lobbyists, I agree with Spelman that if you are going to do a process like this, you really should not leave anybody out of the conversation. I feel that the NIMBY's are pushing pretty hard to get their way and people like Laura Morrison and Kathie Tovo are right in the middle of it.
I'm not sure I understand why a paid representative of the developer community isn't welcome but professional neighborhood activists are. I'm less concerned with the exclusion of lobbyist than the inclusion of someone who is on-record opposed to VMU on obvious corridors where it is desired and needed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 3:08 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I actually don't even agree with them using the term lobbyists. Its a word that they used to specifically scare the public. We are talking about Realtor's, development companies ect. Not fat cats who work backroom deals with lawmakers in the government. It's ridiculous and absurd to say we will only allow neighborhood activists decide what kind of zoning and development we should have with no say from those who actually know a thing or two about zoning and development.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:20 AM

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/a...clearin/nWMFB/

“I’m blaming (the backlog) on all of us (council members), because the real problem is the complexity of the code … that we, in large part, put in place,” Leffingwell said.
That opinion mirrors Guernsey’s assessment that city development rules are so complex that sometimes his staff cannot review applications in a timely fashion. In late January, Guernsey told the council that the staff still have not cleared remodeling applications filed in October for houses in parts of the city with additional rules restricting the height and shape of houses.
The city will soon start a complete rewrite of the development code, which will likely take years. Guernsey is also considering a few ways to relax the review process, such as giving only a cursory examination to plans filed by licensed professionals. In exchange, those professionals would agree to correct any problems that arise during subsequent inspections of the work — even if it means tearing out the problem portions and starting over.
But Leffingwell said those steps may not be adequate and said the city staff should consider other major changes, including as significant as repealing the rules about home size, which apply to a wide swath of the city and were designed to prevent large homes being built on smaller lots. In response, City Manager Marc Ott said the staff may be coming forward with some “radical” changes for the council to consider, later adding, “When I said it may entail things that are in some people’s view radical, I mean exactly that, given the intensity I’ve heard today and before.”
That intensity will likely cut both ways. When the mayor mentioned the rules regarding home sizes, Morrison groaned — one of her main constituencies is the neighborhood groups who pushed for those rules — and Council Member Kathie Tovo quickly replied, “Starting to willy-nilly throw out pieces of the code is not something I could support.”
To which Leffingwell replied, “It might be with some of us.”

Interesting. . .is McMansion on the chopping block as well? I can't imagine Morrison and Tovo choking down on that without a major fight.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 PM

Not part of the rewrite process of the LDC - but pretty important nevertheless and could remove a major impediment to development in the CBD:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...WPfukg0470a8fa

(Now if they could just start to work on all those one-way streets in the CBD they could be onto something)

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 5:38 AM

Two firms vying for rewrite:

http://impactnews.com/articles/counc...evision-firms/

Anyone know anything about these firms?

Looks like Opticos does form based codes (yes yes yes!)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:14 AM

http://www.bigreddog.com/guest-colum...affordability/

Every city counsel person should be forced to sit in a room for three days with nothing to do but read this article.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 5:29 AM

Great step - too bad the reporting was on the verge of panicked.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Ausitn-City...202608681.html

Love the conclusion (oh, btw, Austin has underutilized parking garages)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 1:23 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Every city counsel person should be forced to sit in a room for three days with nothing to do but read this article.
Why just one specifically on affordable housing?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Why just one specifically on affordable housing?
It's on the costs of layer upon layer of regulations and the real impact on housing costs. I would think a city that is concerned about "affordability" should understand the very real impact of each and every regulation and the cumulative cost to all of us. And since this thread is about the land use code re-write the city is currently undertaking I thought it was an appropriate and insightful article from a guy who knows exactly how this impacts housing costs in a town that is increasingly out of reach for most people.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 9:20 PM

BTW - this is somewhat old, but I didn't see it get any play in the local news - in April Opticos was awarded the rewrite of the Land Development Code - this bodes really well that the city is serious about taking a new direction.

http://opticosdesign.com/opticos-awa...elopment-code/

They've been tweeting here including this and that about Austin:

https://twitter.com/OpticosDesign

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:01 PM

http://www.austinpost.org/boom-town/...-old-land-code

http://austintexas.gov/event/public-...austin-project

We need to let the city hear from people who support urbanism. If you care about how this city evolves over the next 50 years - please consider offering your input.

This will have far greater consequences than any dispute over any particular building or tract - it's critical the city retool its land use codes to mesh with the desire to be a close, compact, connected, vital, livable, walkable, and lovable city.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 9:40 PM

Couldn't agree more. You should x-post this to the main forum.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 5:03 PM
Love Austin

This may be one of the single most important issues that the City deals with here in the coming years. I appreciate the Mayor’s comments about how our current LDC contains many band-aids layered upon even more band-aids. The Mayor Pro Tem likes to point out that if you show her a city’s LDC, she can pretty accurately tell you about that city’s affordability (or lack thereof). Our current LDC is a beast and a half!

I strongly encourage all of you to get involved in the process as residents of our great city. Here's how you may do so:

You're invited...
The Land Development Code Revision Advisory Group is hosting listening sessions to gather community input to inform this important project. We want to hear your experiences and stories about the places where you live, work and play. What is working and what could be improved? Join us to learn about CodeNEXT and share your ideas.

Monday, September 23
Bowie High School Cafeteria, 4103 W Slaughter Lane, Austin

Tuesday, September 24
Kealing Middle School Cafeteria, 1607 Pennsylvania Ave., Austin

Wednesday, September 25
Lanier High School Cafeteria, 1201 Payton Gin Road, Austin

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
This may be one of the single most important issues that the City deals with here in the coming years. I appreciate the Mayor’s comments about how our current LDC contains many band-aids layered upon even more band-aids. The Mayor Pro Tem likes to point out that if you show her a city’s LDC, she can pretty accurately tell you about that city’s affordability (or lack thereof). Our current LDC is a beast and a half!

I strongly encourage all of you to get involved in the process as residents of our great city. Here's how you may do so:

You're invited...
The Land Development Code Revision Advisory Group is hosting listening sessions to gather community input to inform this important project. We want to hear your experiences and stories about the places where you live, work and play. What is working and what could be improved? Join us to learn about CodeNEXT and share your ideas.

Monday, September 23
Bowie High School Cafeteria, 4103 W Slaughter Lane, Austin

Tuesday, September 24
Kealing Middle School Cafeteria, 1607 Pennsylvania Ave., Austin

Wednesday, September 25
Lanier High School Cafeteria, 1201 Payton Gin Road, Austin
Yes, follow and/or subscribe:

http://austintexas.gov/department/follow-imagineatx

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 3:55 AM

As a reminder - the LDC re-write listening sessions take place next week. The results of this process could not be more critical for the city. It trumps by several orders of magnitude any skirmish over the TacoPud or Plaza Loft Views or any of the hot button issues that garner a lot of attention. Even the urban rail issue is peanuts next to this.

The results of this process will govern the shape the city takes for the next 50 years - it's critical to get it right this time.

Austin is very fortunate that a few urbanist voices made their way onto the panel and, judging by the selection of Opticos, have been influential so far. One of the is Chris Bradford of Austin Contrarian.

Please read his latest post and then go to one of the meetings armed with your best suggestions as to what needs to change about the LDC. Chris Bradford suggests bringing in very specific ideas about the types of development you want to see, the type that you like, the stuff you can't stand and the type that isn't built here at all but you would like to have.

http://www.austincontrarian.com/aust...next-week.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 3:57 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin