HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgt92 View Post
The most "depressing" book I own is a book of photography called "Atlanta Then and Now" by Michael Rose. It has page after page of Atlanta buildings from the first part of the 20th Century, most of which do not exist anymore, and the same location today (well actually 2001). It's amazing what Atlantans tore down in the name of progress. The two buildings in this thread are included in this book.
I have that book as well, and it makes me sick to look at it. Please people of color do not take this the wrong way, but it seems like the administration was mostly black at the time when these structures were razed, Do you think they did it out of spite from the old days that reminded them of segregation?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
I have that book as well, and it makes me sick to look at it. Please people of color do not take this the wrong way, but it seems like the administration was mostly black at the time when these structures were razed, Do you think they did it out of spite from the old days that reminded them of segregation?
I've lived in Atlanta since the 1979. The changes to the historic fiber of the city had nothing to do with city government. Atlanta's economy has always been driven by development. It the 70's it was all about downtown. To make money after the hwys went thru you wanted to develope down in NE section. Atlanta had big city asperations. It wanted new and tall. Portman gave it to them on Peachtree while the hwys allowed people to move north outside the perimeter and drive to work downtown forcing the need for massive parking areas. Thus the demise of the other historic buildings. Other big cities have gone thru this same thing, but at different times. Look at the architectural history of Paris, New York, Chicago. They each tore down their cities to create what they have today. We're kind of doing that in Midtown and Buckhead today. Hopefully we get it right.
Look at this site if you want to get an idea of where Atlanta has been in it's past. It's Amazing, but I think we're going to be more so in the future.
http://atlantatimemachine.com/downtown/list.htm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
I don't take offense, it's a legit thought. If you ask many "people of color" (Isn't white a color?), we often wonder why America didn't preserve the deep dark history of America.   I think it's plausible that white folk tore down and got rid of history that told the story of what was actually done to black people. All in the name of the Lord. And help create a distortion of American history.   My 2 cents is just my opinion and not factual.   

From what I know (which is limited and probably could be explained by more seasoned people on here) The administrations that were ran by black folk were focused on creating a fair playing ground for city contracts,  Fair housing Schools.  And all the other stuff we take for granted today.  

Last edited by ATLontheRISE; Mar 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:53 PM

Anyone have info on this project off Ellesworth and Huff. Down from Top Golf. It's in a very Interesting location for $ 300,000 town homes.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Most of these structures were torn down in the 1960's and 1970's during "white flight". The mayors that allowed the destruction were all white- not black including William B. Hartsfield (1942-62) Ivan Allen Jr (1962-70), and Sam Massell (1970-74).

Maynard Jackson was the first African- American to be elected mayor in 1973- well after most of the structures were razed. The Atlanta Preservation Center was founded in 1980 - which was during his first term as mayor. It took until 1989 before preservation was in the city ordinances.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLontheRISE View Post
Anyone have info on this project off Ellesworth and Huff. Down from Top Golf. It's in a very Interesting location for $ 300,000 town homes.
There was a PR recently about the project.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/02/prweb14030697.htm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:17 PM

Construction update 3/3/17. Left to right: NCR Phase II, NCR Phase I, Modera Midtown, Hanover West Peachtree.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Most of these structures were torn down in the 1960's and 1970's during "white flight". The mayors that allowed the destruction were all white- not black including William B. Hartsfield (1942-62) Ivan Allen Jr (1962-70), and Sam Massell (1970-74).

Maynard Jackson was the first African- American to be elected mayor in 1973- well after most of the structures were razed. The Atlanta Preservation Center was founded in 1980 - which was during his first term as mayor. It took until 1989 before preservation was in the city ordinances.
Perhaps city administrations of both races were over-eager to tear down the old and build the new to emphasize the "forward looking, business-minded New South" image that they thought, in many cases correctly, would bring new business to city. Either way, it's awful to know that all of these beautiful buildings are lost and gone forever.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:10 PM

NCR is absolutely blazing. I wouldn't be surprised if phase 2 finished this year.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
NCR is absolutely blazing. I wouldn't be surprised if phase 2 finished this year.
I have all but confirmed that NCR phase 1 has to be completed at least in some capacity by October this year as the building I work in has a new tenant and we have to be out of the building by October so they have time to restore the building for the new tenant. I'm excited because I'm sick of the long commute from Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post

Of course, looks like people are trying to blame black people for something yet again. The ignorance is astounding. Most disinvestment of American cities occured because white people fled for the burbs.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Of course, looks like people are trying to blame black people for something yet again. The ignorance is astounding. Most disinvestment of American cities occured because white people fled for the burbs.
... because they were afraid of black people, or something ?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:41 PM

Maybe i noticed it wrong, but it appears AMLI Arts Center, Apogee Midtown, Post Millennium, Modera Midtown, and NCR Phase 1 are all topped out. 1280 Spring street is on it's second or third story. I haven't been around Ascent lately, but wondering how far along that is.

Anyone familiar with where that large black crane went to last week? Anything up at the Standard?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
I have all but confirmed that NCR phase 1 has to be completed at least in some capacity by October this year as the building I work in has a new tenant and we have to be out of the building by October so they have time to restore the building for the new tenant. I'm excited because I'm sick of the long commute from Midtown.
Awesome tidbit, thank you! You work for NCR?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
... because they were afraid of black people, or something ?
Well they're clearly not afraid now given the sweeping evidence of "gentrification" seen in multiple cities across the country.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:33 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrptree View Post
Although it's butt ugly....they need to move the cauldron to Centennial Park from it's current location, or move back to Turner Field (as part of GSU stadium) as that's where it was originally. Sad it's ugly, but even worse we have neglected it so badly since it's one of the most iconic pieces of any Olympic Games....imo.
I kind of like the actual cauldron portion but the 'erector set' base, that is a completely different style, is what I find ugly. It doesn't appear at all neglected to me...I think it was all recently repainted and when driving by looks to be in good condition.
Was it really moved from the Turner Field area? I thought it was always in this exact location.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:49 PM

Is the site for the once proposed Centennial Hill Tower still vacant? Also, any news of when 12 Centennial Park Tower II might get off the ground?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
I kind of like the actual cauldron portion but the 'erector set' base, that is a completely different style, is what I find ugly. It doesn't appear at all neglected to me...I think it was all recently repainted and when driving by looks to be in good condition.
Was it really moved from the Turner Field area? I thought it was always in this exact location.
When Turner Field was converted they moved the cauldron from the stadium to the current corner.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Maybe i noticed it wrong, but it appears AMLI Arts Center, Apogee Midtown, Post Millennium, Modera Midtown, and NCR Phase 1 are all topped out. 1280 Spring street is on it's second or third story. I haven't been around Ascent lately, but wondering how far along that is.

Anyone familiar with where that large black crane went to last week? Anything up at the Standard?
AMLI has definitely topped out for sure. It's shaped up nicely- just wish it were taller to make a bigger impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 9:38 PM
Born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post

Apogee Midtown is nowhere close to being topped out, it still has about 14 stories to go. It's suppose to be 501 feet tall according to Emporis. Ascent is on the second floor. Seems like they're moving at a snail's pace. But all the buildings this cycle seem to be taking much longer to build than what we're use to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations