HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 7:37 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
It would be an incredible addition to the Los Angeles skyline, if built.
I agree. The US in general need more supertalls and modern highrise architecture that provide modern office space to potential tenants. Its not only an architectural question, its also an economic question.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 11:34 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I think the concept of a spire on the side or corner of a building like that is kind of tacky. I'm excited at the real possibility of LA getting another supertall and a new tallest, but they can surely come up with a better top than that for such a massing.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 3:25 AM
Heavy User

^Even though I agree, I'm definitely in the "beggars can't be choosers" camp about this. Tiny little side spire be damned, I'd just be happy if this means the economic conditions in downtown LA have improved to the point where a project like this is viable.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 5:06 AM
Website Manager

really, I would rather see the office space in this tower split between two smaller towers, say in the 40 to 50 storey range. the downtown skyline doesn't need a new tallest, especially one as lumpy looking as this. Library Tower is just fine as the tallest building

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 5:15 AM

^ Why not have a new tallest? The US Bank is beautiful and all, but does it need to be the center of focus on Downtown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I think the concept of a spire on the side or corner of a building like that is kind of tacky. I'm excited at the real possibility of LA getting another supertall and a new tallest, but they can surely come up with a better top than that for such a massing.
One reason why I think the helipad ordinance pad should be removed.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 11:29 AM
Website Manager

Yes, the US Bank Tower should remain the tallest downtown, it is a very well designed tower. This new proposal isn't.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 8:16 PM
Heavy User

That tower is more than two decades old. I'm not one to quibble here. Wilshire Grand isn't ugly by any stretch and it's significantly taller than anything in the state (for now). Why not build it if the economic conditions justify it?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:35 AM

Does anyone know if the 1250 foot # is from the ground or above sea level?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:54 AM

its from the ground. Downtown LA is probably somewhere around 500 feet above sea level

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 9:28 AM

Google earth shows about 300 above sea level.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 8:08 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Does anyone know if the 1250 foot # is from the ground or above sea level?
Yeah..according to the diagrams a few pages back and a facts sheet from the city, the taller tower will rise to 1090' to the roofline. Then the parapet and spire will bring the overall height to 1250'. So its supertall no matter how its measured. US Bank will still have more floors, but structurally shorter on all counts. And I like that US Bank would have a counterpart anchoring the southern end of the skyline. Some of the most famous skylines have at least two large towers spaced apart, like sentinals. ESB and Chrysler, Sears Twr and John Hancock and, hell even Houston and Boston and Philly have a similar profile. And looking at pictures of how the skyline would be massed with the tower from many angles, it actually looks rather impressive. Not to mention we would finally be the third metropolis in the US with two or more supertalls. Then figure in the at least 4 more large towers proposed, and suddenly all the years of people trashing on our skyline would be hard pressed to say much.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 8:41 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Yeah..according to the diagrams a few pages back and a facts sheet from the city, the taller tower will rise to 1090' to the roofline. Then the parapet and spire will bring the overall height to 1250'. So its supertall no matter how its measured. US Bank will still have more floors, but structurally shorter on all counts. And I like that US Bank would have a counterpart anchoring the southern end of the skyline. Some of the most famous skylines have at least two large towers spaced apart, like sentinals. ESB and Chrysler, Sears Twr and John Hancock and, hell even Houston and Boston and Philly have a similar profile. And looking at pictures of how the skyline would be massed with the tower from many angles, it actually looks rather impressive. Not to mention we would finally be the third metropolis in the US with two or more supertalls. Then figure in the at least 4 more large towers proposed, and suddenly all the years of people trashing on our skyline would be hard pressed to say much.
The Wilshire Grand project would actually be on the western side of downtown. Right up against the 110 freeway.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Hey thanks: I just went back and looked at the diagrams 1090' above the ground roof. And 1250' above the ground total. WOW!.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 12:09 AM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://dlanc.com/planning/aa-hearing...grand-project/

AA Hearing Re: Wilshire Grand Project

WHERE: LA City Hall – 200 North Spring Street – Room 1020 – Los Angeles, CA 90012

WHEN: WEDNESDAY – NOVEMBER 3, 2010 – 10:00 AM

PUBLIC HEARING OF CITY PLANNING DEPARTMENT
ADVISORY AGENCY/HEARING OFFICER

PROJECT NAME: Wilshire Grand Redevelopment
So the public hearing for this was three weeks ago. Anyone go? Anyone have any news? I know there have been a few skyscrapers proposed for DTLA since I've been a member that never materialized (City House + The Olympic, Grand Ave, numerous others) but I'm excited about this one (Grand Ave too if it ever goes through).

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 1:46 AM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
The Wilshire Grand project would actually be on the western side of downtown. Right up against the 110 freeway.
You are very correct, I was refering to its greatest distance from the US Bank tower would be to the south/southwest. Seen from the east or west, it would prominantly jut into the sky towards the southern end of the primary massing of towers downtown.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
So the public hearing for this was three weeks ago. Anyone go? Anyone have any news?
I didn't go, but from what I understand, Korean Air/Thomas Properties is seeking a tax break for the project.

(look a little more than halfway through the article)
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/1...s_to_break.php

Quote:
I know there have been a few skyscrapers proposed for DTLA since I've been a member that never materialized (City House + The Olympic, Grand Ave, numerous others) but I'm excited about this one (Grand Ave too if it ever goes through).
City House + The Olympic/Titan Project and Grand Ave will probably happen, but I have a feeling they won't start until the economic downturn is behind us. Although getting Eli Broad to put his art collection across the street from the Walt Disney Hall isn't a bad start. Not to mention the Civic Park is already under-construction.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:59 PM
Heavy User

^Thanks for the links JDR. I'm a little surprised to hear your opinion over City House and The Olympic. My impression was that those were long dead, buried, exhumed, cremated, and then spread over the ocean.

They were an interesting pair at least.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 5:43 PM

I dunno about the design, I mean hopefully they alter it a little . In my opinion the tallest building in the city is more then likely going to be the iconic building for the city that is unless something taller gets built. New York City had 3 Empire State Bldg and the twins now 1wtc. I just feel if LA is going to get a new "supertall" it should be something that is at least a little bit more exciting . . . again just my opinion

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
The Wedbush building is in between the site and the 110, but this thing will dominate.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
^Thanks for the links JDR. I'm a little surprised to hear your opinion over City House and The Olympic. My impression was that those were long dead, buried, exhumed, cremated, and then spread over the ocean.

They were an interesting pair at least.
Well, so i've been told by LA forumers, the 62 and 49 story towers was the old design of the project. I think the new design calls for twin 60 story towers.

Link to developer's website (1st and 5th slides):

http://www.robertsonpartners.net/ResComMixUse.htm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive