HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 7:09 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
chicks maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

yes.
The seniors home would go WILD!

My Book

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
This is exactly my problem. These are the same talking points I hear from all these d-bags at school as soon as you tell them to switch up the music from some indie band when you're at a party. Or they see you drinking Busch instead of whatever $20 six-pack they bought. The hypocrisy of criticizing you for falling into mainstream, corporate, suburban culture when they're doing the exact same thing. I'll take juiced-up frat boys over that crowd any day.
This has nothing to do with the people in these photos.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 1:34 AM
3rd Coast King

^^^

This comment by suburb made me remember something from a party I went to once. I used to be real into metal and had lots of metalhead friends and they were throwing a party. Now death metal is cool but not really ideal for parties. So being the party dj sort of person I am I threw in my friends Dr. Dre cd he had in his case mixed in with all the metal. Within like 5 minutes so hoes walk in the door scantily dress They hear the beats and start dancing around. Then after about 20-30 minutes my friends roommate changes the music back to metal and within 5 minutes the hoes left.

The moral of the story here kids.....

Hoes like rap music

My Book

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskojoe View Post

The moral of the story here kids.....

Hoes like rap music
This... is probably very true.

One thing that baffles me in such conversations is that what appear to be minor cultural differences provoke such heated responses from people. "Hipster douchebag," "yuppy scum," I hear those often and I can't help but wonder what sort of identity politics are at play in creating such animosity.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Victor View Post
This... is probably very true.

One thing that baffles me in such conversations is that what appear to be minor cultural differences provoke such heated responses from people. "Hipster douchebag," "yuppy scum," I hear those often and I can't help but wonder what sort of identity politics are at play in creating such animosity.

If you deal with the hiring process of some of these people then you might see where it comes from....well, its where it comes from for me.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
This has nothing to do with the people in these photos.
I know, and I admit my perceptions about this particular crowd are skewed by unfortunate encounters with certain individuals. I try not to generalize entire groups (and they are a group, no different than the hippies of the 60's or "gangsta" culture that preceeded them) but it instantly screams pretentiousness to me.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:57 AM
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
How can some people look at these pictures, and have a negative view of the content?

What I see is a bustling street in the city centre filled with a diverse group of people; beautiful girls, artists of all types, interesting shops etc. Don't we always look to Europe and Asia, and wish we could have their well-used urban centres? And when there's photographical evidence of people doing just that here in NA, and it gets labeled as a hipster apocalypse.

And it's not just this thread. I've seen others where just because the people are your fixie bike-riding, banjo-playing, rolled cigarette-smoking twenty and thirty somethings, it's not a legitimate 'thing'.
Worth quoting again I feel like I've seen more culture in this thread than my entire life in Vancouver. Looks like a fun time.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I know, and I admit my perceptions about this particular crowd are skewed by unfortunate encounters with certain individuals. I try not to generalize entire groups (and they are a group, no different than the hippies of the 60's or "gangsta" culture that preceeded them) but it instantly screams pretentiousness to me.
Someone doesn't attire themselves to your suburban tastes makes them pretentious? What a load of codswallop.

Once again, an excellent set of photos from the talented flar!

Last edited by Jaborandi; Jul 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:03 PM

Thank you all

hopefully you've checked out my other recent Toronto set: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206718

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 9:35 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Kensington Market....hip-grunge heaven. Good post flar.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos