HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 7:56 AM
A before E

This is really becoming an I'll believe it when I see it project. I feel like all that we keep hearing from this is planning stage after planning stage.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 6:51 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...625&j=82816061

Quote:
For OMSI's 18-acre campus, a prominent Portland developer will shape an ambitious plan
By Jon Bell – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
4 hours ago

The developer behind iconic Portland projects like the Brewery Blocks, Wieden + Kennedy's flagship office and the OHSU Center for Heath and Healing will lend its eye for development to the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry.

OMSI has selected Gerding Edlen, the Portland firm founded by Bob Gerding and Mark Edlen in 1996, to serve as the master developer for its 18-acre riverfront campus. Ultimately, OMSI envisions developing its property into a "center of excellence and sustainability" and a hub for the so-called Innovation Quadrant.

Long-term development will likely include facilities for education, research and job creation. OMSI also foresees more access to the Willamette River.

About 11 of OMSI's 18 acres are undeveloped.

“We are very excited to begin this partnership with OMSI,” said Jill Sherman, partner at Gerding Edlen, in a release. “Our team has been truly energized by OMSI’s vision and the opportunity to participate in the creation of a new, innovative and sustainable district that will benefit the wider community and enhance OMSI’s mission.”
...(continues)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 10:47 PM

Any progress on this. I always imagined that the Ross Island Cement Company would finally phase out operations and their control hub would be converted into an activity center (Climbing, biking, paddling, canoeing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohiker View Post
Plans for new Portland Boathouse on OMSI Development site

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenbyDesign View Post
Any progress on this. I always imagined that the Ross Island Cement Company would finally phase out operations and their control hub would be converted into an activity center (Climbing, biking, paddling, canoeing)
Unfortunately, according to their Facebook page, a change to the Central City Plan has made development on the greenway more restrictive, and this kind of facility won't work under the new standards:

"As a supporter of the Portland River Center, you are aware that the member organizations of the Portland Boathouse have been pursuing the development of the River Center on the northern edge of OMSI’s campus. This is an exciting vision for the future of not just our clubs but for the City of Portland as a whole.

While we believe that the OMSI site is ideal for our proposed facility, we have recently learned that OMSI is not willing to support any formal actions by us to move the project forward at this time. Within a few months, the zoning on this site will change, making our project infeasible. As a result, we are sorry to report that we need to find another site for the facility.

The good news is that we have been looking at sites along the river for many years and have deep knowledge of our options. We will revisit those options, meet with those property owners and proceed on another site. We remain confident that we will find a home for the world class facility needed to serve our community for generations to come.

The loss of the OMSI site is obviously a setback but we remain committed to this vision and believe that this project has broad support throughout this city. We will continue to update all of our supporters on our progress on a new site and look forward to the day when we will be operating out of our new home.

Thanks for your continued support."

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 8:17 AM

Unfortunate. I found the seemingly unused Ski-doo or Polaris? property just north of the Ross Island Br to be ideal for this purpose. It has a put in and a former bridgehead? Amazing space. I am unsure if they even use it.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:01 PM

Design Advice Drawings [72 MB]

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 5:12 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Design Advice Drawings [72 MB]
I was just wondering where they were with this, and based on this it looks kind of disappointing. It seems like this is just a plan to redevelop the land around OMSI rather than any real expansion of OMSI.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:24 PM

So, this effort now supersedes the somewhat recent Snohetta masterplan for OMSI? James Beard Public Market etc?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
OMSI proposes up to 2 million square feet of development in Portland’s Central Eastside

The Oregon Museum of Science & Industry is planning for as much as 2 million square feet of new development on its vacant Central Eastside land.

That’s the building area equivalent of two U.S. Bancorp Towers.

The museum, which is working with the Portland developer Gerding Edlen, hasn’t determined what the configuration of buildings might look like.

But OMSI’s redevelopment plan, in the works for years, is expected to include office space, retail storefronts at ground level, a hotel and as many as 500 apartments. A portion of the apartments would have restricted rents in accordance with the city’s inclusionary zoning mandate, which requires affordable units in large residential developments.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:03 PM
A before E

It would become its own pocket neighborhood if it gets built like this. I am really hoping this project actually happens and works out, it would create a unique area by the river.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 12:27 AM

DAR #1 Summary Memo

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 6:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Very good review of all the problems from the commissioners, hopefully OMSI comes back with something that addresses each of these issues. I am really hoping we get something really beneficial to Portland in the end.

Though I keep hoping OMSI will be expanding in the process or building a new addition for science, but at this point I am just expecting apartments and office space.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 12:48 AM

DAR #2 Drawings [58 MB]

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 5:22 PM

So this new Masterplan from G/E and ZGF is apparently an adaptation of Snohetta's 2017 plan, taking into account the 2035 Cental City code updates. Snohetta's plan was a much more comprehensive piece of work so I'm wondering why OMSI wouldn't have let them take the ball and run at this point? I for one would be much more confident in their ability to create a successful environment in that area, and produce interesting architecture in the process.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:46 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
So this new Masterplan from G/E and ZGF is apparently an adaptation of Snohetta's 2017 plan, taking into account the 2035 Cental City code updates. Snohetta's plan was a much more comprehensive piece of work so I'm wondering why OMSI wouldn't have let them take the ball and run at this point? I for one would be much more confident in their ability to create a successful environment in that area, and produce interesting architecture in the process.
My guess is that it is easier to use a local firm for the masterplan process, though I am hopeful that the actual architecture will be designed by Snohetta because it would be a huge letdown if they were nothing more than a teaser.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
My guess is that it is easier to use a local firm for the masterplan process, though I am hopeful that the actual architecture will be designed by Snohetta because it would be a huge letdown if they were nothing more than a teaser.
I doubt that will be the case with ZGF being involved. That being the case I wonder if Snohetta was paid for any of their work on this - as well as the James Beard Market plan as envisioned at the Morrison Bridgehead - or did they participate on a purely speculative basis? When the Morrison plan fell through it seemed as though the JB public market concept remained a central feature of the OMSI plan, but neither the Snohetta or G/E plans make any mention of it that I can see. ?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 8:00 PM

The James Beard Public Market may very well have been a pro-bono effort for Snøhetta, but I'm pretty sure the OMSI masterplan was paid work for them.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 6:03 PM

New Pre-Application Conference scheduled:

Quote:
Central City Master Plan for redevelopment of multiple properties into pedestrian- and transit-oriented district along the Willamette River in the Central Eastside. Stormwater disposal will be a combination of public and private facilities.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2021, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... what could this be about?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonLT5 View Post
Hmmm... what could this be about?
If it moves anything like the post office site nothing lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland