HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:19 PM

baggab is correct on the express buses. Bus route profitability is based on passenger turnover, which is one reason why they'll be "forcing" express bus users onto the Canada Line. Those routes are very expensive for Translink.

And abolishing fare zones in the interim would actually be a step away from distance-based pricing, since it would be less price discriminatory.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:38 PM

There was an article in the Province today that Translink is studying the smart cards. The bus fare boxes are compatible.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 11:48 PM

it made the noon news today

they say if it does happen it should be implemented in 2010 or by 2010 - so its a few years off still

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 2:24 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by argon007 View Post
how about abolishing the fare zones?

people in vancouver and richmond who can use $2.25 to go to Delta and Surrey...

my idea is too much... and it is not impossible...lol
That would be a good way of encouraging transit use. Personally, I'd also like to see free transit in downtown and U-Pass type passes for all high school and post-secondary students.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmorek View Post
That would be a good way of encouraging transit use. Personally, I'd also like to see free transit in downtown and U-Pass type passes for all high school and post-secondary students.
They want to do that, but can't because of the stress SFU and UBC is already putting on the system. It'll be quite a while before the system will be ready to new additions. After the Shuttle plan comes in to full fruition, maybe then they'll have enough of the 40ft buses freed to increase services to post secondary and High Schools.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:59 AM

^ that's a great idea but yea, i couldn't imagine seeing even more people on the already saturated transit system. we'd need a lot more buses, on top of what we have ordered.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2007, 7:01 PM
senior something

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggab View Post
They want to do that, but can't because of the stress SFU and UBC is already putting on the system. It'll be quite a while before the system will be ready to new additions. After the Shuttle plan comes in to full fruition, maybe then they'll have enough of the 40ft buses freed to increase services to post secondary and High Schools.
I don't think highschools would cause too much of a problem; they're usually close by so most people walk. Also, given that there are so many of them scattered about, rather than having two places everyone has to go (UBC + SFU), so you probably wont have such overcrowding on a few routes. This means that you may not even need to add new buses, as many of the ones going past highschools likely already have enough capacity.

Colleges and whatnot would pose a problem though; I expect they would see a huge hike in ridership (for comparison purposes, UBC's transit ridership is 2.5x what it was pre-Upass.

I'm not the guy from Subway.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 9:21 AM

They can try creating a off peak hour pass for college students where it will cost less but be only valid during off peak times and upgradable to a full pass if the student chooses to upgrade for a fee. Say 1000-1400 and 1800-0600. This way they dont overburden the system but rather make better use of it during off peak hours, its not perfect but its a decent temporary solution.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 10:25 PM

Skytrain says it was time for a 'cold boot'
Feb, 06 2007 - 11:40 PM

BURNABY/CKNW(AM980) - Skytrain officials hope new software will solve an on-going problem.

For the last few months there have been problems off and on with the Skytrain ticketing machines failing to accept debit and credit cards.
Spokesperson Drew Snider says hopefully with the installation of new software, these problems are over, "It's one of these things with technology when you offer people, you know with so many options for paying, there are times when some of these options go sideways on you."

Snider says if this does happen to Skytrain riders who don't have cash on hand, get a-hold of a Skytrain attendent who will fill out a fare deferrial to avoid any penalties.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2007, 10:00 PM

sort of related news:

Quote:
U-Passes won’t go to college students

By Jeff Nagel
Black Press
Feb 09 2007

TransLink is giving up for now on any move to extend its cheap U-Pass transit system to the region’s colleges.

Students at the colleges have demanded they get the same deal enjoyed by area university students, who pay less than $25 per month for the mandatory passes that give them full transit access.

But TransLink, which maintains any extension of U-Pass must be revenue-neutral, came up with prices last fall ranging from $34 to $50 per month for college students, depending on which institutions signed on.

Officials promised to start negotiations this year if enough colleges and student bodies expressed interest.

But TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie said none of the student societies are willing to put a U-Pass offer to a referendum unless they get the same rate as UBC students. In addition, administrators at all colleges except Langara weren’t willing to run the program.

“At this point, no expansion is on the horizon,” Hardie said.

Even if all colleges and their students were on board, TransLink would be hard pressed to handle the increased ridership that would flow from a U-Pass expansion.

“The program drives up ridership and requires more buses and operators,” Hardie said. “We can’t proceed on the basis of higher costs and higher fare subsidies.”

Colleges like Kwantlen, with far-flung dispersed campuses in Surrey. Richmond and Langley would be outright impossible to serve right now, Hardie said.

“We would simply not have the transit capacity available to provide service to the Langley campus or to deal with any significant lift in demand for the Surrey campus,” he said.

College students had also hoped UBC and SFU might agree to redraw their own deals in order to aid the colleges.

But UBC student leaders have said they won’t consider any changes to their U-Pass agreement before it expires in 2008.

U-Passes are a compulsory student transit pass that students pay for along with their fees. They provide transit access at a fraction of the cost of a regular $69 pass.

TransLink had envisioned extending U-Passes to one to three colleges, starting in the fall of 2007.

Hardie said it’s impossible to tell when the idea might be revisited again.
http://www.langleytimes.com/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 7:08 AM

yea, i dont really feel like spreading the costs of the colleges' upass fees on my sfu upass amount. I quite like playing $98 a semester for unlimited transit.
hey, i spent 4 semesters at kwantlen for my AA paying $67 month for my 1 zone pass (with a fast trax sticker), so i've paid my dues.

Besides, translink can't handle the additional demand the students would place on the system. Can u imagine the #41 going to langara without having students waiting for the next empty bus? no, they will always be full. and most of the people who live in surrey/langley and go to Kwantlen surrey/langley dont even have good transit access as it is.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 9:59 PM
loafing in lotusland

Rates for U-Pass for UBC and SFU will probably go up in 2008, and Translink will promise more service. It's a good compromise.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinium View Post
Rates for U-Pass for UBC and SFU will probably go up in 2008, and Translink will promise more service. It's a good compromise.
Well, they've got no choice. It's mandatory anyway. :p

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
Can u imagine the #41 going to langara without having students waiting for the next empty bus?
It is #49, not #41...

Well, I think Vancouver traffic capacity is full...when my friend goes to bcit, the willingdon avenue is getting full...

so.. the vancouver traffic capacity won't be better in the few years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure