HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 15, 2017, 10:35 PM
HVAC guru

^ lol, no not offended in the least, it is coincidental that I'm also a dumb HVAC guy

And yes I know plenty of un-savvy folks who just sat on property and let it gain significant equity, but if the dude was buying up property in Kits and Shaunessey back in the day I'd give him a little credit for at least having a pretty decent idea where to park his money

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Padmapper's not really all that reliable of a barometer for this type of thing. The majority of Vancouver's listings are on craigslist and padmapper doesn't track those, so a large chunk of data is unaccounted for. I'm only speaking for Vancouver because that is what I know, but it wouldn't surprise me if similar logic applied to other cities featured in this image.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:44 AM

For the only market I'm somewhat familiar with (Montreal), they seem totally off. Everyone I know pays significantly less than that, and they usually have 2-br apts.

Montrealers - is the average/typical 3 1/2 on the island really $1,080 a month nowadays?!? Looks like a high end price to me.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
For the only market I'm somewhat familiar with (Montreal), they seem totally off. Everyone I know pays significantly less than that, and they usually have 2-br apts.

Montrealers - is the average/typical 3 1/2 on the island really $1,080 a month nowadays?!? Looks like a high end price to me.
That IS ridiculous. I'm currently paying $500 a month, next to the metro and Jean Talon Market, for a 2 1/2. I don't know of anybody around here who is paying close to $1000 for a 3 1/2, although prices are definitely on the upswing.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:22 AM

Montreal should be closer to $750. I recall rents there were a steal.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 5:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I imagine you've been rubbed the wrong way by that "dumb blue-collar HVAC type of guy" comment but let's face it, it's very true that dumb people can easily end up significantly wealthy.

Even in a non-bubbly market like Sherbrooke, QC I personally know a few uneducated, not-particularly-bright older people who ended up with at least a couple million in net worth just thanks to real estate. Typically, the type is construction guys with no education or culture who also are quasi-slumlords.

You really have to screw up (or take risks) to NOT end up with at the very least a couple million by the time you're old if you're in a typical market of the last half-century.

And taking risks, well, often the dumb ones don't really know or care to do such things - it requires effort and thinking. The path of least resistance is inertia/conservatism, so the trade off is that they end up less wealthy than they could have, but they statistically reliably do end up reasonably wealthy in any case.
What is it with our current, douchebag, culture that people feel the need to constantly denigrate the people who actually work for a living?

This represents a societal sea change from admiring the people who produce things to admiring people who do nothing, produce nothing, yet somehow profit from their complete uselessness.

We get it. You lucked out. You happened to own property (or more likely, your Mommy or Daddy owned property) while an unsustainable real estate bubble occurred.

Flip/spec/profit, contribute nothing..

This is why a complete idiot like Trump was elected.

Do you not think that a guy who works construction all day may also enjoy the opera?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
That IS ridiculous. I'm currently paying $500 a month, next to the metro and Jean Talon Market, for a 2 1/2. I don't know of anybody around here who is paying close to $1000 for a 3 1/2, although prices are definitely on the upswing.
Yeah, no kidding. Way off. I rent a two-storey, 4 bedrooms, renovated house with a backyard in south Rosemont for 1800$.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Yeah, no kidding. Way off. I rent a two-storey, 4 bedrooms, renovated house with a backyard in south Rosemont for 1800$.
I don't find the amount to be far fetched. I used to rent a small studio for $1100 a month and a friend is renting one bedroom in Griffintown for $1600 a month.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
I don't find the amount to be far fetched. I used to rent a small studio for $1100 a month and a friend is renting one bedroom in Griffintown for $1600 a month.
I can see that for a downtown place in a new building (probably with services like a gym a pool a doorman, etc), but not median price for the whole city.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:00 PM

Quote:
What is it with our current, douchebag, culture that people feel the need to constantly denigrate the people who actually work for a living?

This represents a societal sea change from admiring the people who produce things to admiring people who do nothing, produce nothing, yet somehow profit from their complete uselessness.
???

When did I do that?

All I said was acknowledge that there are uneducated, not-very-bright people out there. Sorry if we're supposed to censor that fact to spare your sensitivity...

Quote:
We get it. You lucked out. You happened to own property (or more likely, your Mommy or Daddy owned property) while an unsustainable real estate bubble occurred.

Flip/spec/profit, contribute nothing..
You really don't get it. Stop making assumptions, and in case you happen to want to reply to what I've written, please do just that.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I can see that for a downtown place in a new building (probably with services like a gym a pool a doorman, etc), but not median price for the whole city.
They probably had a really bad sample, and half of it happened to be brand new luxury units with services.

As someone else pointed out, if you just stick to what's advertised on one given site, you'll miss a lot of stuff. Plus, what's advertised - at those prices - is, generally speaking, what's NOT getting rented. So there's a bit of an upward skew there anyway.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 2:59 PM

Padmapper used to hear and I used it twice to find apartments. It used to truly aggregate Craigslist and Kijiji but no longer does this. These days Padmapper just has crappy big copy apartments and has turned into a better looking version of Viewit.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
They probably had a really bad sample, and half of it happened to be brand new luxury units with services.

As someone else pointed out, if you just stick to what's advertised on one given site, you'll miss a lot of stuff. Plus, what's advertised - at those prices - is, generally speaking, what's NOT getting rented. So there's a bit of an upward skew there anyway.
Yeah, makes sense.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:43 PM

Today Toronto is now called a buyers market according to the CREA.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:59 PM

in the suburbs, you will find many great appartments for less than $1000. Montréal is as cheap as Quebec City.

Last edited by GreaterMontréal; Jul 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it seems way off, I have a friend who lives near MTL Nord/St. Leo and his 3 bedrooms, good condition is $750/M. Near transport (not metro tho) near shopping, Walmart, services etc... maybe this list is for downtown areas?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:06 AM

I just moved to MTL, and that was not the price range that existed when I was searching...also the Vancouver number is too high. I left a quite new 1 bdrm in Olympic Village, larger than most 1 bdrms and when I left they put it on the market for $1700, there is no way that was lower than average considering all of the suites in homes and older apartment buildings in Van.

Padmapper is not an accurate source for rental prices in any city.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
I just moved to MTL, and that was not the price range that existed when I was searching...also the Vancouver number is too high. I left a quite new 1 bdrm in Olympic Village, larger than most 1 bdrms and when I left they put it on the market for $1700, there is no way that was lower than average considering all of the suites in homes and older apartment buildings in Van.

Padmapper is not an accurate source for rental prices in any city.
I'm renting out my 1 bedroom (near Waterfront) for 2250 and the building is over 20 years old. Semi furnished though.

I think the average for a non-furnished 1 bedroom is somewhere around 1500-1600. That's what I was told when I was trying to come up with a price for my unit.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:45 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
I wasn't denigrating anyone besides my father in law, and not because he did HVAC. It's because he actually is really, really dumb, but also filthy rich thanks to the real estate bubble. I only mentioned he was an HVAC guy to show how your job was irrelevant if you bought places before the 90s. Those who actually followed the conversation would understand this.

I am also blue collar. Get off the soapbox.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 5:13 PM

Toronto home sales drop 40% compared with a year ago

Average selling price of all homes in GTA was $746,218, up 5% from a year ago

The Canadian Press Posted: Aug 03, 2017 7:24 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 03, 2017 8:54 AM ET

Home sales in the Greater Toronto Area tanked last month and prices continued to recede, the city's real estate board said Thursday, further evidence that provincial measures aimed at cooling one of the hottest housing markets in North America may be working.

The number of transactions fell 40.4 per cent in July compared to the same month last year, driven by fewer sales of detached homes in Toronto and its surrounding areas.

Home sales in Greater Toronto Area plunged 37.3% last month
Toronto housing market downturn to be short-lived, federal housing agency says
The average selling price of all homes in the Greater Toronto Area was $746,218, up five per cent from a year ago.

However, it's the third consecutive monthly decline and the average price down nearly $175,000 since April, when the Ontario government introduced more than a dozen changes — including a 15 per cent tax on foreign buyers — in an effort to stabilize prices that were spiralling out of reach for many homebuyers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...july-1.4233295

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada