HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 3:47 AM
Yippie Ka Yay!

The hottest Day ive ever felt was in Mid-May 2006 at the Phoenix AZ Zoo.
It was so hot, We had to stop and turn back at about 5 minutes of being there! (I'm guessing it was 115 degrees F.)

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:20 AM
Meh

The hottest I've ever been in was 115F in College Station, Texas. The humidity was about 10 percent. I'll never forget how that felt. It was 112F in Austin that day, too which is our current record. It's a strange feeling having air that hot all around you. I guess it would be sort of like if you were standing several hundred feet downwind from a jet on the tarmac. Just like with extreme cold, the extreme heat goes right through your clothes. It heats up your jeans and goes through your shirt. It's not exactly uncomfortable, since the humidity level was so low. I hate the humdity, even with temps in the 70s it's possible to break a sweat doing yard work or walking out in it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

last summer in winnipeg it hit +44 plus humididy............ your shoe souls start geting real soft.........

its hot as hell all i can say is ya don't wana be out in it if you don't have to be...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:42 AM
Hala Wal'la

More like 55 !

Yum

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 9:56 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Just curious if anyone here has experienced 50 deg C ( 122 deg F ) outdoors. What is that heat like? Does it feel like your pants are burning and shoes are frying? Describe that level of heat. Do you constantly need a shower? Does the wind burn your face?

Is it hot at night too?
Uh, yes. It sucks. I lived in Arizona, and it frequently got up that high... maybe 30+ days in a year.

Or, as I liked to put it, by April 1st, it was too hot to swim in an outdoor pool.

Basically, 50C temperature (with less than 1% humidity) is so damn hot that if you are out in the sun for over 45 minutes, you'll end likely end up in the hospital, because all the water in your body evaporates! You sweat - but you don't get wet, because it instantly evaporates and leaves you extremely hot and dry.

Walking outside of an air conditioned office set at 60F into 122F also creates a massive shock to your body... Which I found quite draining.

However, as long as you stay outside of the direct sun (and assuming you don't have much humidity - which make sit quite worse) than it isn't that bad if you aren't doing heavy physical labor. You can eat lunch, read a book, do some walking... but its the direct sun that'll literally give you a heat stroke if you aren't properly hydrated.

The other thing I remember about living there is that I didn't go outside much. Maybe from late November to early March, but then I was inside all day long, every day. We had a crappy apartment with 0 insulation; with 2 A/C units blasting, it lowered the temp to around 95F (!!). It was terrible. My girlfriend and I sat around in our underwear watching television... and that was about it. Around 11-12 at night we'd finally go out, cause it cooled off quite a lot, being in the high desert.

In the end, however, I moved back to Oregon. It rains, it never gets above 105F, there are rivers (with water in them!!!), lakes, trees, an ocean, and rain. Ooooh, the rain. Guess I'm one of those people who'd rather freeze to death than fry to death... and I've done both.

Last edited by zilfondel; Apr 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 10:35 PM
Ascension

Death Valley, California. Hell on earth. I remember last year, my friends and I drove there before going to Vegas (this was in July) just to experience how hot it was. We stopped at a hotel in Furnace Creek and walked around. The tempature was around 128F. You can't really describe heat like that. It's crippling. Plus Death Valley is alien. You really can't capture how martian it looks. It's eerily quiet, and it's hard to breathe as the air burns your lungs. It's so hot, rock's move:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 5:43 PM
nuttin

you soon learn what a siesta is all about

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:34 PM
Crane Goddess

This makes me wonder what I will do should I visit Dubai..I'm guessing ditch alot of my western clothes and pick up some of those traditional middle eastern robes- not the black wool chadors and abayas, but the lighter pants and tunic ensembles I see on alot of women from the middle east. That and drink LOTS of water.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 5:09 AM

The highest that I have ever felt was 54C. Insane. Everyone else pretty much has hit the target on the nose. Such heat feels as if you're being cooked alive. And that is just standing around in the shade....the sun makes it manyfold worse. Literally indescribable. Everything just hurts...your eyeballs can feel the heat sapping the moisture away as well. Again, a totally freaky experience.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:01 AM
Stay Thirsty.

I'm sure it's been said, but yes. 123 F (a bit over 50 Celcius) in Arizona. Feels like sticking your head by an oven when you open the door. Just a blast furnace of heat that you can't escape. Not painful or anything, just real unconfortable. After about ten minutes, you don't want to be in it anymore. Thank God for A/C.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2008, 8:41 PM
BANNED

the maximum i got was 45°C in Aswan Egypt.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:05 PM

Has Anyone experienced 122 deg F

I did, plenty of times in my home of SoCal.

And once, when I was vacationing out by "The River"(colorado river) it was nearly 130 F!!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 7:20 AM

hot in ships ER

In the Engine Room of the ships building the palm islands dubai, the temperature in summer are +65 degrees ! It's hot, but there is no alternative...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 2:18 PM

119 F in Phoenix AZ (USA) just last year.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 3:26 PM
Dbacks baby!

Hottest ever I have felt was 117 F...Buckeye, AZ (near Phoenix), June 2006. Unfortunately on the same day, a construction crew had accidently cut into a trunk line for a power company. It left us with no power or A/C for nearly 18 hours. Yikes.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
Booooring!

43C (109F) in Toronto is the hottest I've experienced. I think.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 6:40 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

I've experienced the following:

Death Valley, CA: 122 degrees F. You can experience heat stroke within 30mins by just standing outside. We walked up a sand dune in the evening an hour after the sun set and we started to experience all the signs of heat stroke and turned around just in time to make it back to the car and the 5mins drive to a general store with air conditioning. The store owner says people die out in the desert every other day in the summer. They take a short little walk in the desert, experience heat stroke, hallucinate, and can't find there way back to the car, within an hour they pass out, and subsequently die if not found within 12 hours.

When experiencing Heat Stroke you don't sweat because you are dehydrated to the point where your body chooses to retain the moisture rather than loose it through your skin. Your face/forehead turns red and is extremely hot to the touch because it is not being cooled by your sweat. You loose concentration, reasoning skills and begin to hallucinate.

Palm Springs, CA: 117 degrees F. Humidity was 5% or less. When you walk by a patch of green grass that has any residual moisture in it you can feel the mositure being sucked away from it. You feel patches of "humidity" surrounding any area that have a wee bit of water in them.

Phoenix, AZ: 116 degrees F. Oppressive radiating heat from all the concrete, asphalt, buildings. It feels much worse in the city, especially when nighttime temps stay in the high 90's for most of the night. The streets feel deserted because everyone stays inside.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2008, 9:48 PM
tilted & shifted

115-120F in Moab, UT - I was camping in Arches National Park. The heat felt like a weight, not in the way humid air does, but just an inescapable weight. It was so oppressively hot that we abandoned our planned hike and went into town in search of air conditioning. All we could do was go from one air conditioned spot--bar/pool hall/movie theater--to another until nightfall. We left at the absolute crack of dawn the next day, heading for relatively cooler weather in Colorado. When it's that hot, you only think about how hot it is and nothing else.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 11:44 PM

At my job, in Las Vegas, it gets to be over 120 degrees in July and August. I once left my thermometer outside my office, it wasn't on direct sunlight and it exploded... I was shocked. When you get back to your car, it probably get over 140 degrees, it's insane.
There was a water park in Las Vegas some years ago, Wet 'n Wild, and I remember the meter read 122 grades once I was there with my family... If you don't have A/C at home of car, daily life could turn into a nightmare in such temperatures...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 5:23 AM
SUSPENDED ANIMATION

48 in Las Vegas... but where I live it`s very common to feel temperatures up to the 50 because of the humidity.

cheers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa