HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 6:47 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfreder View Post
Is there a reason why we don't have more arterials that have timed green lights? Seems like it could help congestion.
1) Congestion and bad drivers- There's just too much traffic along some arterials to get a free-flowing synced corridor. It takes 1 person to run a red or a person to make a sudden stop to screw everything up.

2) Costs- The cost to maintain synced or censored intersection has forced municipalities to simply installed timed lights on smaller streets (goes off at regular intervals even during rush hour).

3) Intentional planning - Planners in Vancouver have intentionally designed some arterials to ensure there's an even distribution of traffic so no choke points develop. Grandview Highway between Naniamo to Highway #1 is a documented example of minimizing and slowing down the flow to allow for a freer less congested merge.

There are obviously more cynical reasons. Surrey is actively trying to dissuade motorists from coming into the core by 'intentionally' creating chokepoints along KGB. They have done everything in that portion to frustrate motorists including adding unnecessary (and not synced) intersections along high traffic areas. This all circles back to what the planners and engineers stated circa 2013 where they stated their objective would be to force citizens out of their vehicles and onto....LRT. This sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory but you see the full scope of how convoluted this Surrey LRT project is once you have been in that madhouse.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2017, 7:58 PM

Coquitlam has my favorite green flows, makes it easier to avoid the narrow mess that is Lougheed.

Going through Surrey City Centre I try to stick to one of the ring roads

Ron.

Last edited by Tetsuo; Sep 17, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 3:58 AM

http://www.abbynews.com/news/more-th...angley-region/

If 16th Avenue ever gets done let's hope it's the same design standard as the Sea to Sky between Horseshoe Bay and Lions Bay.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2017, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
Going through Surrey City Centre I try to stick to one of the ring roads.
Just curious, what do you consider ring roads of Surrey Central?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:03 PM

My favourite green wave is on Robson. If I walk at the right speed I don't have to stop anywhere between Cambie and Granville. Georgia seems to have this too. It's great!

Or is that not the type of green wave y'all are talking about?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 4:23 PM

Lougheed Hwy on Coquitlam was timed too. When I rode my bike from Coquitlam Central Station, as soon as the light turned green at Pinetree, I had exactly 60 seconds to make it to Westwood before that light turned red.

If you're on a two way road, the timing will work against you going the other way. I hate riding my bike eastbound on Dunsmuir for this reason, hit a red light every second intersection.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If you're on a two way road, the timing will work against you going the other way. I hate riding my bike eastbound on Dunsmuir for this reason, hit a red light every second intersection.
Yeah, you have to alternate going like heck for a block and then crawling like a turtle for a block to "hit" all the lights going in that direction.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 5:55 AM

Anyone have any idea if KGB is gonna be finished off and 4 laned from 40th to Crescent Road. Seems kind of silly to just leave that rinky dink bridge there and that interchange to have only have only 2 through lanes when it's already 4 lanes. Or is this another project that will be done in 10 years?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:25 AM
Dahvie Fan

Say what you want about the liberals, they always had transportation projects on the go. I'm convinced the NDP's plan is to do absolutely nothing. Have we learned nothing???

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 7:13 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Say what you want about the liberals, they always had transportation projects on the go. I'm convinced the NDP's plan is to do absolutely nothing. Have we learned nothing???
My area has had no road infrastructure improvements since the 1960s. They're finally starting a half-assed improvement to hwy 1 which still isn't going to fix anything and won't be done until 2021. As far as I'm concerned both parties are incompetent when it comes to moving people around.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:38 PM

Quote:
not really, they still half-assed things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
My area has had no road infrastructure improvements since the 1960s. They're finally starting a half-assed improvement to hwy 1 which still isn't going to fix anything and won't be done until 2021. As far as I'm concerned both parties are incompetent when it comes to moving people around.
i would say only the So-Creds was the party of moving people around. from the highway system, to the SkyTrain system, to BC Rail, and to BC Ferries. they were the party that allowed the province to move if by wheels, rail, or sea.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:48 PM
Joshua B.

PMB HWY 1 backed up to 164th. 152nd on ramp backed up to Fergeson Diversion.

Patullo Bridge backing up on KGB and all feeder routes.

AFB and GMT are no better options.

Hello NDP?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post

Hello NDP?
NDP (with Wormwood Meggs whispering in their ear): "ride a bike".

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:48 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:

Hello NDP?
Why haven't they addressed any of these issues?? They have nothing on the horizon. Very troubling

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:18 AM

NDP: "We need to make sure that every option that the Liberals said that they studied is re-studied. Extensively. Now please stop questioning us."

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:

Hello NDP?
Here's an idea, stop having kids, ban foreign ownership, tell the immigrants metro vancouver is full.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:58 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
Here's an idea, stop having kids, ban foreign ownership, tell the immigrants metro vancouver is full.
Is this a joke? Or are you one of those social engineering nut bars?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Is this a joke? Or are you one of those social engineering nut bars?
It is a joke.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:38 AM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
It is a joke.

My sarcasm meter must need recalibrating... carry on

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:19 AM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Why haven't they addressed any of these issues?? They have nothing on the horizon. Very troubling
No infrastructure improvements looming aside from the Hwy 91 72nd Ave overpass. Commuters have complained about traffic for decades but this is really coming to the fore recently as congestion has worsened year by year and more people move into the region.

We're at the point where one accident or incident can entirely cripple 2+ municipalities as was the case this morning at the PMB where all arterial in Coquitlam and Lougheed were completely clogged due a multi-vehicle collusion near Brunette. Traffic on the PMB backed up to 176th St.

PM rush was no better with a minor accident on the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge lead to 3 other accidents which crippled Vancouver, Burnaby and North Vancouver.

Hwy 1:

Hwy 1 needs significant upgrades at the Cape Horn. Accidents are occurring at a frequent pace now because you have 3 major roads combining into 1.

HOV lanes throughout Highway #1 needed dedicated on and off ramps at most interchanges.

The Burnaby Lake stretch should have been designed to accommodate 10 lanes each way with a pull-in rest-stop each way to allow for stalling vehicles or pulled-over vehicles to exit.

Hwy 99:

Building the GMB and adding more crossings into Vancouver will solve all congestion issues in Delta/Queensborough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure