HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 4:42 AM

Arrow CTV Vancouver 2010 Anthem Music Video during Superbowl Half-Time

If you missed it today:
Video Link

And there's also the torch relay video:
Video Link

And the French version of the torch relay:
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:30 AM

I hope that only played on Canadian networks, because that video sucks in showing anything unique about our games, Vancouver, BC or even Canada in general.

Most videos I have liked so far, but that seemed more like fluff than anything else IMO.

Its ok if it were just shown to a Canadian audience, but if this video was at all international I would rather they played the BC loop video, that is being showed at the skytrain stations currently, than this!

(talking about the first video)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:38 AM

Of course it was only shown to Canadians. It is, after-all, the CTV theme (and it says CTV and Canada all over the video), and the Superbowl was not on NBC.

And a 2:30 Superbowl ad would have cost $21 million

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:41 AM

Thanks for the link. Good song.
There is also an Instrumental version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT_B3_d8ZeA&NR=1, just music. Not bad.

The song is CTV's own creation. So most likely it will only be used by the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Consortium. Other foreign media networks may choose to use it if they want and can work out a deal with CTV. NBC used Sarah's song "One Dream" in their runup broadcast of the game.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:53 AM

around :34, shake...and lights exploded go off...man, what kind of idea...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Of course it was only shown to Canadians. It is, after-all, the CTV theme (and it says CTV and Canada all over the video), and the Superbowl was not on NBC.

And a 2:30 Superbowl ad would have cost $21 million
That was also what i was thinking. Would have been one hell of a price tag! hehe.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:17 AM

loll....$21-million x ## times the video was showed. Apparently, from what I've heard, they played the video during every commercial period. It wasn't just half-time.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
loll....$21-million x ## times the video was showed. Apparently, from what I've heard, they played the video during every commercial period. It wasn't just half-time.
That particular video was played twice. Halftime, and after.

However, at least twice per commercial break they had an "Olympic feature" with the song paying in the background.

Talking about Patrick Chan, Speed Skaters, Skiers, Hockey, etc. "Who will be the first Canadian to win Gold on home turf "

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:52 AM
Hello World

Hmmm ? I thought that first "I Believe" video is nice. I am happy to see that played on the big stage such as at the Superbowl Half-Time.

However, I'm a bigger fan of Puppy Bowl and the Kitty Half-Time show Animal Planet are geniuses with that !

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 3:14 PM

Great ad. I hope that pumped up the rest of the country. Not that they need it, apparently BC/Vancouver is in need of the most spirit. I agree that there are all of the "normal" shots, but what else do you want?

I was looking into the future on my TV schedule, the amount of coverage from CTV/TSN/TSN2/etc looks awesome. Multiple HD feeds 24hrs/day, it should be great!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 5:55 PM

Quote:
That particular video was played twice. Halftime, and after.

However, at least twice per commercial break they had an "Olympic feature" with the song paying in the background.

Talking about Patrick Chan, Speed Skaters, Skiers, Hockey, etc. "Who will be the first Canadian to win Gold on home turf "
Here's a dirty little secret of our Canadian TV systems:
The CRTC has mandated since 1972 that when a Canadian station and an American station are airing the same program at the same time (aka simulcasting) on cable or satellite, the American station's signal has to be replaced with the Canadian station's signal.

ie: Sunday's superbowl was broadcast by CBS (KIRO Seattle -- Shaw cable channel 15 in Vancouver) and by CTV (CIVT Vancouver -- Shaw cable channel 9) at the same time. Therefore under the CRTC mandate, Shaw cable must substitute the CTV/CIVT signal on channel 15 in Vancouver (replacing the CBS/KIRO signal with CTV/CIVT's signal). This is better known in the business as "Simultaneous substitution", "simsubbing" or "signal substitution".

That means that regardless of which channel on Shaw cable you are watching the superbowl, you are watching the Canadianized version - and the Canadian commercials sold by CTV. We may have seen Olympic ads here, but that means we were NOT seeing the American superbowl ads that everyone is talking about on Monday morning. The ads shown on CTV (and simsubbed on Shaw cable 15) were bought with Canadian dollars by a Canadian company to be viewed by Canadian eyeballs.

I think CTV would be ecstatic if they were able sell Superbowl ad space for $2.5 Million / 30 Seconds like CBS did.

This is such a common practice on all programs that are simulcast by US and Canadian TV stations, I'm used to seeing the bad simsub cut-over by Shaw / Rogers when a program starts.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Great ad. I hope that pumped up the rest of the country. Not that they need it, apparently BC/Vancouver is in need of the most spirit. I agree that there are all of the "normal" shots, but what else do you want?

I was looking into the future on my TV schedule, the amount of coverage from CTV/TSN/TSN2/etc looks awesome. Multiple HD feeds 24hrs/day, it should be great!
A friend of mine saw a news story that CTV et.al. will be showing over 4,500 hours of Olympic coverage on basic (over the air) TV, cable, satellite and internet. Which is a lot when you realize that a normal full-time 8 hour/day job means you work 2,000 hours per year.

So the CTV Olympic coverage would take over 2 working years to watch.

Oh, yeah by the way: Everyone is losing money on this because the ad revenue isn't what they expected. Rumors are that NBC spent around $800 million for the TV rights to Vancouver 2010, has spent another $100 million to set up shop in Vancouver & may lose over $200 million because ad sales are awful.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Here's a dirty little secret of our Canadian TV systems:
The CRTC has mandated since 1972 that when a Canadian station and an American station are airing the same program at the same time (aka simulcasting) on cable or satellite, the American station's signal has to be replaced with the Canadian station's signal.

ie: Sunday's superbowl was broadcast by CBS (KIRO Seattle -- Shaw cable channel 15 in Vancouver) and by CTV (CIVT Vancouver -- Shaw cable channel 9) at the same time. Therefore under the CRTC mandate, Shaw cable must substitute the CTV/CIVT signal on channel 15 in Vancouver (replacing the CBS/KIRO signal with CTV/CIVT's signal). This is better known in the business as "Simultaneous substitution", "simsubbing" or "signal substitution".

That means that regardless of which channel on Shaw cable you are watching the superbowl, you are watching the Canadianized version - and the Canadian commercials sold by CTV. We may have seen Olympic ads here, but that means we were NOT seeing the American superbowl ads that everyone is talking about on Monday morning. The ads shown on CTV (and simsubbed on Shaw cable 15) were bought with Canadian dollars by a Canadian company to be viewed by Canadian eyeballs.

I think CTV would be ecstatic if they were able sell Superbowl ad space for $2.5 Million / 30 Seconds like CBS did.

This is such a common practice on all programs that are simulcast by US and Canadian TV stations, I'm used to seeing the bad simsub cut-over by Shaw / Rogers when a program starts.
It's not really a dirty little secret when everybody knows that. Unless, you happen to think that CBS or FOX plays your CTV (or Global) local news info-bites.

Or, don't notice the CTV logo positioned almost (but not really) over top of the CBS logo... but enough of the CBS logo still shows that you can tell it says CBS.

We did get some of the American commercials. Budweiser, for one, advertises in both USA and Canada. The rest you can watch online at http://www.youtube.com/adblitz if you are that desperate to be advertised to.

Except the anti-abortion ad Youtube seems a bit to PC to put that up.

Last edited by Yume-sama; Feb 8, 2010 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:50 AM

According to CTV, Olympic theme song I Believe is an iTunes hit http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=37552.html

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 7:53 AM

Well, it is #1 on the iTunes Canada charts right now. Surprisingly, actually

Old Posted Feb 11, 2010, 8:41 AM

Quote:
It's not really a dirty little secret when everybody knows that. Unless, you happen to think that CBS or FOX plays your CTV (or Global) local news info-bites.

Or, don't notice the CTV logo positioned almost (but not really) over top of the CBS logo... but enough of the CBS logo still shows that you can tell it says CBS.

We did get some of the American commercials. Budweiser, for one, advertises in both USA and Canada. The rest you can watch online at http://www.youtube.com/adblitz if you are that desperate to be advertised to.

Except the anti-abortion ad Youtube seems a bit to PC to put that up.
And the gay dating site got more free publicity (and viewings of the ad on CNN and other news programs and websites) because CBS killed the ad, than they would have gotten if the ad snuck through as part of a regular commercial break.

Ogilvy would be laughing at this.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]