HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 3:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
It's a destination, and not a ride, for sure. I'm just emphasizing that if they're going to try to use other methods (like the proposed shopping destination) along with the wheel to attract people to the island, they should try to concentrate that flow of people to and not far from St.George.
Well, you are partially getting it. One thing, people already come, they just don't stay because there's nothing to do. There's already a captive market so to speak that Staten Island doesn't benefit from, and it's already popular among tourist, and that's the ferry itself. Now there will be a reason for tourist to "get off the boat" so to speak.

Quote:
I'm sure plenty of people from the Metro will come to the wheel within the first year or two, but like other tourist destinations in the city, I doubt it will generate a lot of interest from local people once it's been established.
Well, I disagree with you there. It will attract locals in the beginning, but that will only grow. New Yorkers or people from the area won't rush over just because its the "new thing to do". It's not a temporary attraction, it will be permanent one, and visitation will only increase in time. As a matter of fact, as is always the case, it will be an easier place to visit in the beginning because there will be less people.

Now, in addition to the regular riders and tourists on the ferry will be more tourists and new shoppers. I don't see how Staten Island can lose here, and I don't see your concerns.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects