HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:52 PM
Midrise

LOL at "HUNG LONG" on the sign in that photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
“I am indeed well aware of the history of Conventional (sic) Hall, both globally and locally, and can assure you that we are carefully exploring avenues for its future.” -- Penn President Amy Gutmann 5 days before demolition began.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 2:58 PM

These photos are amazing; absolutely splendid!

I've never noticed how vertically challenged Philadelphia is; when you think about the height of these buildings; Comcast Tech, Comcast, and Liberty One, I have to wonder if they would stand out in other skylines. Is our skyline short in general or are these buildings just so tall that they stand out so well.

For many years my generation has wanted to see Philadelphia have a striking; before Liberty One and Two didn't have much of one; now its striking but I wonder how much this city was held back in the 1940 - 1960's?

Thankfully we are making up for this now!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I said before I'd estimate it at around the height of the Chrysler Building at 1,046, which means we passed Houston and Atlanta for sure. I don't know how long it'll be before the spire is extended, but it won't be long before we catch San Fran, and then maybe a few days before we claim the title.

I know. I'll never forget it. But I hadn't heard of the curse until before they won.

500 posts!
We've past Houston and Atlanta in height; so its now safe to say that Philadelphia has the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago east of the Rockies.

Soon we'll have the tallest building outside of New York and Chicago in the Western Hemisphere.

I'm already looking to see what building will be built in Philadelphia taller this this. A lot of the people in the office where I work are as excited as I am. One guy put his hands up and started yelling bonsai. I don't know about that dude sometimes but I like his energy.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:31 PM

[QUOTE=JohnIII;7978650]

I'm already looking to see what building will be built in Philadelphia taller this this. A lot of the people in the office where I work are as excited as I am.

I think it is probably safe to say a lot of people in your office may hit retirement before anything taller
than CITC is built / completed , in Philly .
Not against going higher , just would like to see a shit load of surface lots hit 400/500/600 ' before thinking about
anything 1095' or 1200' scraping the skyline .

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:13 PM

Skyline by George Kurzik, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:50 PM

[QUOTE=Gonzo the Great;7978733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post

I'm already looking to see what building will be built in Philadelphia taller this this. A lot of the people in the office where I work are as excited as I am.

I think it is probably safe to say a lot of people in your office may hit retirement before anything taller
Not against going higher , just would like to see a shit load of surface lots hit 400/500/600 ' before thinking about

I'm sure many people would have said the same thing back in 2007-8 when the original Comcast Center was close to completion, and here we are less than 10 years later. I don't think it's safe to say it will be that long before we get a new king. Liberty Place took the crown for 21 years, then the Comcast will had it for 9. I'd split the different and take the under that we have a new tallest in 15 years.

And that 15 years could be much closer to 5-10 if a certain Fortune 15 company or two (or three if they were publicly traded) sauntered on over from Seattle/Conshy/Malvern.

And even if they don't, don't discount the momentum building organically in University City and the continued ambitions of the development community (ok, mostly just Liberty and Brandywine) to reach for the sky.

I think you're retirement line might work better for a fully residential building reaching the heights of CTC, but I'd be disappointed if this is our pinnacle before my almost 2 year old is able to get his drivers license*.

*Assumes autonomous vehicles haven't become such a thing that drivers licenses for kids are obsolete by then.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:14 PM
Dev Nerd

Anyone have a link to a webcam other than the NBC10 cam which I can't seem to get to work?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:10 PM

Carry on.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
I have to wonder if they would stand out in other skylines. Is our skyline short in general or are these buildings just so tall that they stand out so well.
No need to wonder, you can see exactly that here on this website. Venture from the forums over to the diagrams and use the advanced form field to do just that:

Combine cities, compare against other continents, restrict by year built, etc. It's a very powerful tool, and you can see how vertically challenged we are:

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:11 PM

I'm ambivalent about the building, but am waiting until the "stick" is installed before forming a final opinion. If you want to see a gimmick, look no further than One WTC. Same concept: The top floor is lower than the roofline of other buildings in town (and I think lower than the top floor of that new Park Ave residential stick). Counting the mast makes it officially the tallest, but the low roofline height is always distracting when I visit NYC. At least the "stick" on CTC seems somewhat integrated and less of an afterthought.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:16 PM

These buildings - Comcast Tech, Comcast Center, One Liberty, Two Liberty, BNY Mellon, Three Logan and FMC - would ABSOLUTELY make a dramatic impact on any US skyline you put them in not named Chicago and NYC. They are all very tall - and aside from FMC - cluttered together... which makes everything else around them seem less tall.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I'm ambivalent about the building, but am waiting until the "stick" is installed before forming a final opinion. If you want to see a gimmick, look no further than One WTC. Same concept: The top floor is lower than the roofline of other buildings in town (and I think lower than the top floor of that new Park Ave residential stick). Counting the mast makes it officially the tallest, but the low roofline height is always distracting when I visit NYC. At least the "stick" on CTC seems somewhat integrated and less of an afterthought.
Just to be clear, the highest occupied floor of CTC is higher than Comcast I. The rest of the height of both buildings is non-occupied utility space. Another good example is Salesforce. The top floor of that building is about the same height as CTC's, it just depends on how much you want to split hairs on what you want to call the top or the roof of the building.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
These buildings - Comcast Tech, Comcast Center, One Liberty, Two Liberty, BNY Mellon, Three Logan and FMC - would ABSOLUTELY make a dramatic impact on any US skyline you put them in not named Chicago and NYC. They are all very tall - and aside from FMC - cluttered together... which makes everything else around them seem less tall.
please tell me you meant to say "clustered" together, not "cluttered." you might lose admin privileges on this board if you think they are cluttered.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Just to be clear, the highest occupied floor of CTC is higher than Comcast I. The rest of the height of both buildings is non-occupied utility space. Another good example is Salesforce. The top floor of that building is about the same height as CTC's, it just depends on how much you want to split hairs on what you want to call the top or the roof of the building.
I'm aware that the Four Seasons sky lobby will be higher than Brian Roberts' office. Despite veiling the HVAC equipment and damper, the top portion of the CC is integral to the design, not a mere appendage (like the One WTC "mast"). As I said, I'm waiting to see how/if the "lantern" on CTC works to distract from the obvious fact that its roofline is lower than CC's. I'm hopeful that it will not look like an afterthought (but I think it will from most angles). I'm excited to have this new tower in town, but that doesn't mean that I have to fall in love with it. I just can't. Comcast has provided height on the skyline (and interesting lobbies), but I think their design taste favors clunky structures.

Last edited by Knight Hospitaller; Nov 7, 2017 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
please tell me you meant to say "clustered" together, not "cluttered." you might lose admin privileges on this board if you think they are cluttered.
Yes, haha! Clustered. Simple typo.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:10 PM

[QUOTE=Gonzo the Great;7978733]
Quote:

Yeah I'd like to see a steady stream of 400'-600' buildings as well. Philly is pretty low in this category and the gap continues to grow compared to other cities. This, along with the fact that our top 5 or 6 buildings are actually quite impressive and clustered together makes our skyline have a steep drop-off, especially in certain sight lines.
Ultimately, though, buildings are dictated by market trends so most of all I'm hoping the city continues to take positive steps forward and fix some of the ills that have plagued it over time. That's how construction really takes off.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:39 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

You know, I'm really glad you said that; not only because it cleared up what I was thinking; but I pondered this. The buildings we have would make a huge impact on any American skyline other than New York City and Chicago and in fact; its possible to include New York and Chicago and here is why I'll included those cities.

Comcast Tech is only a few feet shorter then Hancock Tower in Chicago; I think its about 6' or something like that. Of Comcast Tech were in Chicago it would be the 5th tallest with 2 others within 20' taller; so I considered it well. If Comcast Tech were in a skyline like Chicago; the impact would be about like the Mellon building is to our city; very noticeable. You are right!

If Philadelphia continues to grow as it can; we can have a skyline that is the envy of this nation because so many of our buildings have a sense of class and style; and its not just that; their placement in the Business District is very well thought out which is unique because when building a building the city is so well laid out; one really has to consider the genius of William Penn to a degree because though he didn't live to see skyscrapers his planning affects them here so well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 9:40 PM

^ That huge gap between Downtown and Midtown Manhattan would be vastly improved by a building like CTC

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
You know, I'm really glad you said that; not only because it cleared up what I was thinking; but I pondered this. The buildings we have would make a huge impact on any American skyline other than New York City and Chicago and in fact; its possible to include New York and Chicago and here is why I'll included those cities.

Comcast Tech is only a few feet shorter then Hancock Tower in Chicago; I think its about 6' or something like that. Of Comcast Tech were in Chicago it would be the 5th tallest with 2 others within 20' taller; so I considered it well. If Comcast Tech were in a skyline like Chicago; the impact would be about like the Mellon building is to our city; very noticeable. You are right!

If Philadelphia continues to grow as it can; we can have a skyline that is the envy of this nation because so many of our buildings have a sense of class and style; and its not just that; their placement in the Business District is very well thought out which is unique because when building a building the city is so well laid out; one really has to consider the genius of William Penn to a degree because though he didn't live to see skyscrapers his planning affects them here so well.
You know, after visiting London this year, I came to realize how little a large skyline actually matters. I would much prefer to have a well integrated and active street level, than a massive sprawling skyline.

London's skyline is much smaller than Chicago, Miami, Houston, Atlanta... hell, even San Francisco, but it far exceeds every single one of those cities combined as an interesting and exciting city to explore. I may even put London over NYC for it's human scale and easy navigability. You could walk for literal miles on end in each direction in London and not run out of interesting things to explore. It's really remarkable.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 11:39 PM

We are somewhere in the middle as far as our high-rises being interesting in design and looks. Not fair to compare to NYC-Manhattan. Seems like anybody who is somebody wants to have the name associated with Manhattan by building bigger, better, or bolder. And, not fair to compare to other international cities as well. However, I do believe we have a chance to have more interesting and bold designs in the shape and looks of future buildings. Take Schuykill Yards as an example of bolder designs. If things every come to fruition there, I think we should see a few buildings that could be in any alpha cities as trophy/landmark type buildings that should be different than any of the current building stock we have.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Nov 7, 2017 at 11:50 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction