HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 8:17 PM

The buses I see definitely have more usage in the last week or so. Seeing some buses with upwards of 10 people on them now.

Again, I only see them at Carvolth, so there is usage in Abbotsford / Chilliwack I'm not visualizing.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:07 AM
Rational urbanist

Apparently the FVX is recording an average of 6 passengers a day.

"In its first eight months of operation, the transit line saw a total revenue of $155,599 through 41,749 rides.

A survey conducted by BC Transit suggests many riders were still learning about the service by word of mouth, and that among those who didn’t use the service, 30% said the reason was they’d never heard of it.

Among the concerns received by BC Transit was how traffic disruptions could significantly affect service along the Highway 1 route — Newlove said BC Transit is working with the ministry to establish bus-lanes.

The transit authority also plans an anniversary marketing campaign for the new route’s one-year milestone."

"Ridership/revenue by month:

April $3,383/$14,057

May $4,567/$17,224

June $4,645/$18,492

July 4,809/$18,475

August 5,382/$20,430

September 6,397/$23,052

October 5,813/$21,198

November 6,753/$22,671"

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2016/03/03...valley-express

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Hopefully they don't give up on this route any time soon, as it does serve an important service, even if it's not being utilized yet.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:09 AM

Low numbers Probably has to do with the inability to transfer to CFV, Chilliwack, and Translink using the same fare.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:12 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
Low numbers Probably has to do with the inability to transfer to CFV, Chilliwack, and Translink using the same fare.
That's a good point. I'd be surprised if anybody's trip originated and ended within the vicinity of its stops. Add the other fares on top of it and it gets pretty steep, not to mention inconvenient. It's something they need to work on. With the amount this thing is losing though, it's hard to imagine an integration scenario where it wouldn't lose more though.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Apparently the FVX is recording an average of 6 passengers a day.

"In its first eight months of operation, the transit line saw a total revenue of $155,599 through 41,749 rides.

A survey conducted by BC Transit suggests many riders were still learning about the service by word of mouth, and that among those who didn’t use the service, 30% said the reason was they’d never heard of it.

Among the concerns received by BC Transit was how traffic disruptions could significantly affect service along the Highway 1 route — Newlove said BC Transit is working with the ministry to establish bus-lanes.

The transit authority also plans an anniversary marketing campaign for the new route’s one-year milestone."

"Ridership/revenue by month:

April $3,383/$14,057

May $4,567/$17,224

June $4,645/$18,492

July 4,809/$18,475

August 5,382/$20,430

September 6,397/$23,052

October 5,813/$21,198

November 6,753/$22,671"

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2016/03/03...valley-express

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Hopefully they don't give up on this route any time soon, as it does serve an important service, even if it's not being utilized yet.
Does it really make sense to build bus lanes (i'm assuming all the way from chilliwack to abbotsford) for 150 passengers a day? Also only maybe 6 trips of the 17 weekday trips are during a time when it is likely that the buses would run into slowdown due to traffic. So I'm just gonna estimate that they are suggesting building bus lanes for maybe 100 people (thats being generous) a day. That seems like a colossal waste of money in my opinion. I think if they would just build three general purpose lanes over the same route it would get rid of bus delaying traffic jams, and be a much, much better return on investment, and something that should have been done a decade ago.

Yes I know buses are good, single occupancy cars are bad, but sometimes things have to be kept in perspective. In my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Does it really make sense to build bus lanes (i'm assuming all the way from chilliwack to abbotsford) for 150 passengers a day? Also only maybe 6 trips of the 17 weekday trips are during a time when it is likely that the buses would run into slowdown due to traffic. So I'm just gonna estimate that they are suggesting building bus lanes for maybe 100 people (thats being generous) a day. That seems like a colossal waste of money in my opinion. I think if they would just build three general purpose lanes over the same route it would get rid of bus delaying traffic jams, and be a much, much better return on investment.

Yes I know buses are good, single occupancy cars are bad, but sometimes things have to be kept in perspective. In my opinion.
They'd probably be bus / HOV lanes. Yes, they are needed.

I see a few buses a day since I transit through Carvolth. Yes, it is during the peak periods, but it has continually got busier as time goes on.

Oh, and BC Transit is happy with the service. Outperformed expectations: http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/371101001.html

AND.. Summary report: http://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Services/D...mary%20WEB.pdf

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 5:50 AM

^They would be HOV lanes, not actual bus only lanes.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
They'd probably be bus / HOV lanes. Yes, they are needed.

I see a few buses a day since I transit through Carvolth. Yes, it is during the peak periods, but it has continually got busier as time goes on.

Oh, and BC Transit is happy with the service. Outperformed expectations: http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news/371101001.html

AND.. Summary report: http://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Services/D...mary%20WEB.pdf
Interesting to hear that it's outperformed expectations... guess that's what happens when you set them low.

Anyways, I rode the 66 occasionally during the first 3 months of service when I was still working to avoid driving if I was too tired. HOV Lanes and the completion of the eastbound on/offramps at 202nd Street would help immensely -- particularly to make the travel time about equal to driving during rush hour traffic. This would make me want to ride it more often when I get back to working in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 4:38 PM
loafing in lotusland

These aren't full-sized buses, are they? I would hope they would be community-shuttle-like buses.

In reality, with that few passengers, 12-passenger vans would probably suffice ( and be more comfortable ).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
These aren't full-sized buses, are they? I would hope they would be community-shuttle-like buses.

In reality, with that few passengers, 12-passenger vans would probably suffice ( and be more comfortable ).
The FVX uses full sized 40 foot buses. Standard transit seating feels unsuitable for long highway runs. Hopefully they have the chance to bring in more suburban-like equipment - similar to the buses they use on the 555. Would help for the route's appeal.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 9:34 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
The FVX uses full sized 40 foot buses. Standard transit seating feels unsuitable for long highway runs. Hopefully they have the chance to bring in more suburban-like equipment - similar to the buses they use on the 555. Would help for the route's appeal.
No kidding. If the used coaches from White Rock to downtown, you'd think they'd use it on the Freeway in the Fraser Valley.

Does anyone know what they use on the intercity public transit buses between Bellingham and Seattle. I know there are intercity public transit services there which are super reasonable. Saw a blog post once where someone went all the way to Seattle from Vancouver via public transit.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
No kidding. If the used coaches from White Rock to downtown, you'd think they'd use it on the Freeway in the Fraser Valley.

Does anyone know what they use on the intercity public transit buses between Bellingham and Seattle. I know there are intercity public transit services there which are super reasonable. Saw a blog post once where someone went all the way to Seattle from Vancouver via public transit.
Sound Transit Express (STEX) and Community Transit (CT) use standard low floor buses fitted with more comfortable suburban upholstery for their routes along Interstate 5. Theyre comfier than what translink uses for their 620.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 3:20 AM
Rational urbanist

Does BC Transit Fraser Valley even have suburban coach buses? For such a low budget provider, buying a couple wouldn't be an insignificant cost.

I've taken the 66 once before for fun, and I thought the seats were fine for the ride. Though I take the suburban coach buses every day and I hate them compared to city buses so I'm probably unique in that regard.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 3:27 AM

BC transit has 10 suburban LFS, all are either running on the commuter routes up in Pemberton or in Cowichan Valley.

Problems with Translink commuter buses are that they get quite squishy and that there is no leg room, especially for the taller people. STEX and CT solve this problem by preserving the seating layout of a city bus but use commuter seats instead.

(Credits to original posters)
https://flic.kr/p/bMNSPP
https://flic.kr/p/cz7gLd
https://flic.kr/p/8UpH8r

Last edited by Express691; Mar 11, 2016 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 7:27 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

thanks for posting the numbers. I am happy with them also they look encouraging for sure.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Problems with Translink commuter buses are that they get quite squishy and that there is no leg room, especially for the taller people.
That's for sure. I had to take the 555 to and from work and unless I got one of the front area seats it was a painful ride. Pretty sure that's what contributed to my back/leg problems. When I get back to working in Metro Vancouver I'll probably opt for a different route, even if it takes a little longer.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 3:21 AM

Was this on the commuter coaches or the urban buses?

I wonder when in the next few years the Orions will get replaced. Maybe we'll see some real commuter coaches then. Having said that, TransLink does appear to want to standardize on urban transit equipment, so it might end up looking rather different.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Was this on the commuter coaches or the urban buses?

I wonder when in the next few years the Orions will get replaced. Maybe we'll see some real commuter coaches then. Having said that, TransLink does appear to want to standardize on urban transit equipment, so it might end up looking rather different.
Yes, it was on the P92xx Orions (suburban configuration is the official name of their seating config). I think I speak for many others (including drivers apparently) when I say that their replacement will not come soon enough (should have been done already).

I'm personally very happy that BC Transit went with the Nova buses (and they have for some time with their fleets in Chilliwack, Abbotsford, on Vancouver Island, etc.) with standard layouts.

Last edited by sweetnhappy; Mar 17, 2016 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:02 AM
Rational urbanist

Another nice (longer) document analysing ridership patterns and reviewing the schedule design and fare structure:

http://bctransit.com/servlet/documents/1403645673072

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 9:11 AM

I thought the urban buses were the problem. Interesting. I guess a better seating product for longer trips is required then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure