HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 4:52 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Council Keeps Southbrook Mall Renovation Alive
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...ovation-alive/

Quote:
Memphis City Council members voted Tuesday, Nov. 5, to start over again in plans to find a legal use for city funds in renovating the Southbrook Mall in Whitehaven.

And the administration of Memphis Mayor A C Wharton Jr. gave a qualified endorsement through what amounts to a new feasibility study on the mall due before the council in a month.

The council approved $1.5 million in funding in October for general renovation of the mall contingent on a legal opinion about whether the funding would be for an illegal private use.

The funding would have come from state and federal money for improvements to the Elvis Presley Boulevard streetscape that will not be spent this year. But if the funding had been used for what federal officials later determined was a private use, it would have endangered the larger amount of federal funding for the streetscape improvements as well.
Quote:
Meanwhile, the council approved $7.5 million in capital funding for initial project work on a redevelopment of the Raleigh Springs Mall. The money from the city’s Division of Housing and Community Development is a transfer from a line item that was to go to building a new Memphis Police traffic precinct near the mall. The city has tentative plans to relocate the traffic precinct to the footprint of the mall.

The council also approved on the second of three readings an ordinance that would establish a retirement supplement for city sanitation workers of up to $1,000 per worker per year. The supplement is to be funded with savings from an overhaul of sanitation services that the council is scheduled to vote on next month.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 9:42 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I can't remember the name of this development at Florida St. and W. Georgia Ave, but it's coming along nicely. Does anyone have the article from the Business Journal that they can repost?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:03 PM

Would those be the South Junction apartments?

http://www.gosouthmain.com/new-projects.html

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:18 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Yeah, those are the right ones. I didn't think that they would make a huge difference at street level as far as density, but the street wall that they're forming is pretty impressive (the cell phone photos don't do much justice). Hopefully eventually there will be some proposals for solid commercial and entertainment space.

Here's the article if anyone wants to read it.

Turley, Orgel partners in planned South Main apartment project
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n....html?page=all

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:21 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
^Yeah, those are the right ones. I didn't think that they would make a huge difference at street level as far as density, but the street wall that they're forming is pretty impressive (the cell phone photos don't do much justice). Hopefully eventually there will be some proposals for solid commercial and entertainment space.

Here's the article if anyone wants to read it.

Turley, Orgel partners in planned South Main apartment project
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n....html?page=all
So what's the deal with the opposite corner from South Junction- is that more apartments as well?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 10:34 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^I'm guessing there will be some apartments or condos built there eventually. I want to know what the plan is for the lot that is directly to the east of where the apartments are being built now.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 12:33 AM

along w/ the jackson apts density, you have a fairly significant the first development of the crescent bluff apts, located in the same general area. in addition to those, there is an approved project at crump and tn?, the community bordering crump, which is part of the hope grant. the master plan for memphis, which i reviewed yesterday, has the entire south main and heritage development planned. the area includes a green grocer and other retail covering approximately 3.7 acres. the old mental health hospital will be developed for apts for the elderly or independent living. the point is, however, that the development is geared for the black community. it is hoped that the loraine hotel, soulsville, stax museum, beale street, and the forum will generate a good deal of street traffic. it seems that there is a plan for approximately 78,000 sq ft of retail space. two other attractions, which i inadvertently left out, are clayborn temple and the chisca hotel. the aim, again, is to frame the entire district as a historic district, which showcases the contributions of blacks to memphis through music, politics, leadership, and the civil rights history of the 1960's.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 1:22 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
along w/ the jackson apts density, you have a fairly significant the first development of the crescent bluff apts, located in the same general area. in addition to those, there is an approved project at crump and tn?, the community bordering crump, which is part of the hope grant. the master plan for memphis, which i reviewed yesterday, has the entire south main and heritage development planned. the area includes a green grocer and other retail covering approximately 3.7 acres. the old mental health hospital will be developed for apts for the elderly or independent living. the point is, however, that the development is geared for the black community. it is hoped that the loraine hotel, soulsville, stax museum, beale street, and the forum will generate a good deal of street traffic. it seems that there is a plan for approximately 78,000 sq ft of retail space. two other attractions, which i inadvertently left out, are clayborn temple and the chisca hotel. the aim, again, is to frame the entire district as a historic district, which showcases the contributions of blacks to memphis through music, politics, leadership, and the civil rights history of the 1960's.
South Main has done a good job as marketing itself as somewhat of an arts district, which is good, but I think a push toward marketing the area around the Lorraine Motel as an African American heritage district is a strong idea. The history that is present in that area with Beale and the National Civil Rights Museum is something that I think has much more potential than it currently shows. I wouldn't mind seeing a small blues museum as well.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 6:51 AM

This is a cool concept and design:

Midtown eatery would blend restaurant, food trucks and shipping containers

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...rant-food-and/

Quote:
A new kind of place to eat — a hybrid comprising a permanent restaurant and food trucks — is headed for a prominent Midtown corner.

While some use metal structures to build on the cheap, the concept here involves high design by the firm brg3s architects, the high symbolism with the adjacent L&N Railroad and Memphis’s role for intermodal distribution, and higher project costs.

The containers will be welded together, cut, painted, stacked atop each other, stood on end, and even offset to let in more natural light.

Documents filed with City Hall include a rendering of a sleek, modern two-story building of corrugated metal standing at 2120 Central, at the northwest corner of Central and Cooper where Midtown Nursery now operates.

Conceived as family friendly, The Food Truck will offer be a bar inside for adults and a fenced-in play area outside for children.

Diners will go into the restaurant or its patio and have a variety of choices to give the server. They can order from any of the food trucks on site that day or from the restaurant’s permanent kitchen that will make complementary items such as appetizers of dessert.

The development will need to be granted zoning exceptions from the Board of Adjustment, which will consider the request on Nov. 20.

There is supposed to be a 20-foot setback from Cooper, but because of the lot’s small size, the food trucks would have to encroach on that space by about four feet.

The plan includes running electricity to the food trucks so they don’t have to use their loud generators.

The partners also seek permission to erect a building of metal, a veneer usually frowned on in such neighborhoods. “The nature of the food truck business and the proximity to the railway support the creative use of metal at this location,” the letter states, noting, “the creative use of metal at this location works well.”

Construction could start as early as late winter or early spring and be completed as soon as mid-summer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 4:26 AM

I recently overheard a conversation about a Cheesecake Factory possibly opening in East Memphis near International Paper HQ. Has anyone heard anything about this? There is that plot open where Cozymel's used to stand.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
I recently overheard a conversation about a Cheesecake Factory possibly opening in East Memphis near International Paper HQ. Has anyone heard anything about this? There is that plot open where Cozymel's used to stand.
The last thing I heard in regards to the old Cozymel's site was that a three-story structure was supposed to go there with ground-level retail at the bottom and offices at the top. No telling how much those plans have changed since then, especially with two new restaurants going up at the Crescent Center (Seasons 52 and The Capital Grille) and land being a hot commodity along Poplar.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
South Main has done a good job as marketing itself as somewhat of an arts district, which is good, but I think a push toward marketing the area around the Lorraine Motel as an African American heritage district is a strong idea. The history that is present in that area with Beale and the National Civil Rights Museum is something that I think has much more potential than it currently shows. I wouldn't mind seeing a small blues museum as well.
The old historic district south of FedExForum is an eye sore with blight. Why the city has allowed that to deteriorate like it has is beyond me. That would be a great location to build a new convention center and develop an entertainment complex around it like what Gibson Guitar Factory was once planning for that area (as seen below). Maybe place the future Memphis Music Hall Of Fame Museum there, too. They could also include a separate Blues Museum as mentioned in your post. Some great possibilities for that part of downtown. Memphis needs to start taking more advantage of the Elvis tourism. This would be a great way to do that.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 5:58 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^^^To an extent there's not much the city could have done then to keep the area from declining...it happened most places. I think the city is doing a fairly decent job of providing a spark to bring people back to the South Main area, but for the most part we're going to have to rely on private developers to really get the ball rolling. When the Chisca's rehab is complete that will provide somewhat of a connecting piece to North Main and South Main. There's quite a few residential units that are under construction or currently planned for South Main. The biggest think that the neighborhood is missing is commercial space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
The last thing I heard in regards to the old Cozymel's site was that a three-story structure was supposed to go there with ground-level retail at the bottom and offices at the top. No telling how much those plans have changed since then, especially with two new restaurants going up at the Crescent Center (Seasons 52 and The Capital Grille) and land being a hot commodity along Poplar.
I'm curious to see what the lot will evolve to be. I had expected to see another article or something along the lines of what was announced in May or June, but like you said with that property being in the location it is, the developer should be able to do quite a bit there in terms of mixed us.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:11 AM

I'm surprised that they used wood studs instead of metal ones. I can't remember ever seeing such a big complex built with a wooden frame.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Memphis football, the SHC, and the Liberty Bowl wouldn't be enough to support at potentially $300Million stadium. Adding some D2 and D3 games would probably cost more money to promote and actually play than they would actually generate.

San Antonio also built the Alamo Dome to attract an NFL team. That's not a goal of Memphis.
Memphis should pursue an MLS team. If done right, I believe that it would be extremely successful. Memphis is in that sweet spot size that the MLS should be targeting. (Mid-sized city with no NFL team)

If the MLS targeted cities like Birmingham, Memphis, OKC, Portland, etc. they would be a lot more successful than competing for people's time in large cities with multiple pro franchises.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooper_rebel View Post
II can't remember ever seeing such a big complex built with a wooden frame.
I've seen this quite a bit in places like Atlanta, Houston, and New Orleans. Some of these complexes are ginormous to say the least, usually 4-5 floors and multiple blocks in area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
The old historic district south of FedExForum is an eye sore with blight. Why the city has allowed that to deteriorate like it has is beyond me. That would be a great location to build a new convention center and develop an entertainment complex around it like what Gibson Guitar Factory was once planning for that area (as seen below). Maybe place the future Memphis Music Hall Of Fame Museum there, too. They could also include a separate Blues Museum as mentioned in your post. Some great possibilities for that part of downtown. Memphis needs to start taking more advantage of the Elvis tourism. This would be a great way to do that.

Wow, what area is this? Is this something that will actually come to fruition or just a proposal?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 4:44 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Wow, what area is this? Is this something that will actually come to fruition or just a proposal?
That was part of the master plan for Gibson that Haizlip Studios did a while back. Here's the link for a few more rendering and some information.

http://haizlipstudio.com/haizlip-stu...+Memphis%2C+TN

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 5:07 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Agreement reached for city to buy AutoZone Park, Cardinals to buy Redbirds, awaits Dec. 3 council approval
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ark-cardinals/

Quote:
The Memphis Redbirds will be acquired by the St. Louis Cardinals and AutoZone Park will be acquired by the City of Memphis under an agreement announced this morning by the Memphis Redbirds Baseball Foundation.

Under the agreement, which will be presented to the City Council for approval on Dec. 3, the Redbirds would enter into a "long-term lease agreement" with the city, according to a news release.

In the news release, Memphis Mayor A C Wharton called the agreement "a major victory for our city" and encouraged the City Council to approve it. "We have done our homework and believe that it is in the best long-term interests of the city and its residents to move forward with this transaction," Wharton said.
Quote:
“We are thrilled that we are in a position to return the stadium back to the people of Memphis,” John Pontius, treasurer for the Memphis Redbirds Baseball Foundation, said in the news release. “Our team will benefit from best-in-class leadership of the Cardinals. We want to thank everyone involved, and look forward to a bright future ahead as a part of this world-class organization.”

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 6:48 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Plough makes $1M pledge to Harahan Bridge
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...on-pledge.html

Quote:
The transformation of the Harahan Bridge into a pedestrian and bike boardwalk is a step closer today after a $1 million pledge by the Plough Foundation.
The bridge is part of a larger $37.3 million project, the Main to Main Multi-Modal Connector Project, to connect Uptown Memphis with West Memphis. For more on the project, check out our series here.
Plough's commitment will go toward filling a gap between the price tag and government funding.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2013, 8:17 PM

There is DEFINITELY something going on with 100 N Main. Normally there is less than 20 windows lit up on this building at night (reflecting it's low occupancy rate) But last night, it was lit up like a CHRISTMAS TREE! Remodeling maybe? New Lease?

[IMG][/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations