HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Mississippi (Tunica) might be gearing up for a brand new water park

http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-stor...park/649372507

I don't think too many people know the news on this. I haven't seen any local news articles mention it, or post it.
If it wasn't for me coming home and catching the end of the news I wouldn't known it, or heard anything else from it.
But long time coming.

I always felt that Tunica should have had an amusement park type of attraction down there,
especially when I hear the word "Resort" in their marketing.
A Six flags type of thing. (Six Flags over Mid-South or Delta)

The Gaming industry isn't the same as it was in the 90's down there, but bringing other things like this to their market
can definitely boost that and other developments in Tunica.
I just always thought Tunica should have capitalized more other than Gaming. While it's still one of the largest
gambling districts in the country, it could build around still today.

A park almost happened from what I found. There's a few online pieces on that. I wasn't aware of development news then,
but I wonder what kept this one from going? (http://msbusiness.com/2000/06/rumors...desoto-county/)

This recent news link touches on Tunica's push to strive more years.... http://wreg.com/2017/11/14/tunica-th...ars-to-return/

I once posted how Disney should start riverboat cruises and how this property could have been a A Disney resort/DVC property complete with a very large retractable roof Tom and Huck themed water park for year round , 365 a day use and a Downtown Disney area. Disney also has a problem in that Universal still has the theme park rights east of the Mississippi for the vast majority of Marvel movies that Disney makes thanks to having them pre sale.

I would propose that Disney had set up shop at the Harrah's resort with the waterpark and privately fund building a bridge to the Arkansas side of the river for a Marvel theme park. The bridge would be tolled but connect I-40 west of West Memphis to I-69 there in Tunica. They'd get tolls from through traffic and folks either staying at the resort coming from the west and going to the Resort coming from the east. The bridge would also be a crossing for a Disney Monorail. Connecting the resort to the theme park. The Bridge would feature a hidden mouse in the superstructure that would be lighted at night. Disney now has parks in Tokyo and Paris that have winter weather and they don't miss a beat. Neither would this one. Most of the newer Disney attrations are indoor anyways.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:55 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
I fully support the idea of an aquarium on Mud Island (and more attractions as mentioned above). But I really don't like this structure. At least in this location. I'm generally a proponent of modernist/"out-there" architecture, but something like that belongs in the skyline or on the bluff. Nothing on Mud Island should detract from the river, and that, IMO, is exactly what this does.

Mud Island does not need a statement piece.
(outsider's perspective) but I completely agree. This seems completely out of context.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I once posted how Disney should start riverboat cruises and how this property could have been a A Disney resort/DVC property complete with a very large retractable roof Tom and Huck themed water park for year round , 365 a day use and a Downtown Disney area. Disney also has a problem in that Universal still has the theme park rights east of the Mississippi for the vast majority of Marvel movies that Disney makes thanks to having them pre sale.

I would propose that Disney had set up shop at the Harrah's resort with the waterpark and privately fund building a bridge to the Arkansas side of the river for a Marvel theme park. The bridge would be tolled but connect I-40 west of West Memphis to I-69 there in Tunica. They'd get tolls from through traffic and folks either staying at the resort coming from the west and going to the Resort coming from the east. The bridge would also be a crossing for a Disney Monorail. Connecting the resort to the theme park. The Bridge would feature a hidden mouse in the superstructure that would be lighted at night. Disney now has parks in Tokyo and Paris that have winter weather and they don't miss a beat. Neither would this one. Most of the newer Disney attrations are indoor anyways.
It's needed imo. This region of the country could use a regional draw. From New Orleans, parts of southern Mississippi, south eastern Arkansas, and west Alabama, There's no real Amusement park. Memphis, New Orleans, and Jackson, MS would be the direct cities to market, and maybe more.

I almost forgot that the Six Flags in New Orleans was closed back in 2005, because of Katrina. So it's really nothing like that in the Delta, Deep southern region areas of that magnitude.

Last edited by TheKernel91; Nov 29, 2017 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
It's needed imo. This region of the country could use a regional draw. From New Orleans, parts of southern Mississippi, south eastern Arkansas, and west Alabama, There's no real Amusement park. Memphis, New Orleans, and Jackson, MS would be the direct cities to market, and maybe more.

I almost forgot that the Six Flags in New Orleans was closed back in 2005, because of Katrina. So it's really nothing like that in the Delta, Deep southern region areas of that magnitude.
Well, there's Magic Springs.

We tend to stop at Wild river Country on the way back to NWA from Memphis once a year for the kids. The North Little Rock water always has Tenn tags in the lot and I meet them isnide as well. The park itself is nothing to write home about.

Magic Springs in Hot Springs has as surprisingly good water park. The fact is that there's as bit of a void smack dab in the mid of the Mid South. The loss of Libertyland stands out but the void was even greater with Opryland(which was profitable) closed. The Gaylord clan have as much as admitted it was a mistake.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
Well, there's Magic Springs.

We tend to stop at Wild river Country on the way back to NWA from Memphis once a year for the kids. The North Little Rock water always has Tenn tags in the lot and I meet them isnide as well. The park itself is nothing to write home about.

Magic Springs in Hot Springs has as surprisingly good water park. The fact is that there's as bit of a void smack dab in the mid of the Mid South. The loss of Libertyland stands out but the void was even greater with Opryland(which was profitable) closed. The Gaylord clan have as much as admitted it was a mistake.
Speaking of Libertyland, there's a new book about the history of the park: https://www.coaster101.com/shop/libe...-america-book/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 1:38 AM

Memphis Theological Seminary building new chapel in Midtown
Michael Waddell | High Ground News

Quote:
The Hamiltons subsequently gifted $3 million to MTS for the construction of a new chapel. “The chapel that we have currently will not even seat the whole student body,” said Keith Gaskin, MTS vice president of advancement. “We were already thinking of campus expansion and had been buying some of the homes behind us on Union Avenue.” The new 300-seat chapel will become the new home for the Seminary’s weekly chapel services. “However, it will be more than just a chapel. It’s going to be a learning space. It will be open for community use for public forums and lecture series in areas like social justice, and it can be used for musical events,” said Gaskin. “It will also be another revenue source for us for renting out for weddings and other special events.”
http://www.highgroundnews.com/devnew...InMidtown.aspx

Artist Rendering

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 1:46 AM

Rhodes College unveils cutting-edge science facilities

Quote:
Rhodes College has opened Robertson Hall, a $34 million, 54,674-square-foot home for biology and chemistry research. A recent grand opening ceremony also included the debut of the newly renovated Briggs Hall and the Bill & Carole Troutt Quadrangle... Over the last five years, the college has opened up new facilities in environmental studies, neuroscience, physics. The latest addition will benefit those studying computer science, biology and chemistry.
http://www.highgroundnews.com/devnew...acilities.aspx

HGN

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 1:54 AM

Agricenter ShowPlace Arena ready for modern-day makeover

Quote:
“Over the past three years, we were able to get an additional $3 million from the State of Tennessee, so now we’re ready to start the first phases of $17 million in improvements to the facility,” said Wilson. The approximate cost of the Phase I is $6 million. Work on the warm-up arena is expected to take six months while the main arena will take 18 months. Features of the warm-up arena will include a completely new exterior skin, along with new office space, meeting rooms, restrooms and showers and a patio and entryway gate. Fleming Architects created the designs, and F & F Construction is the general contractor. Work on the ShowPlace Main Arena includes bringing the whole building up to code including ADA compliance, seating, new and larger concession areas, and restroom improvements.
http://www.highgroundnews.com/devnew...yMakeover.aspx

Fleming Architects

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 2:03 AM

City tables Coliseum repurposing, presents sports complex in latest Fairgrounds plan
Aisling Maki | High Ground News

Quote:
A city spokesperson said that they’d instead prefer to invest $40 million on projects that could benefit the surrounding neighborhoods and community at large.
http://www.highgroundnews.com/featur...tscomplex.aspx

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:13 AM

Construction Projects Flourishing Throughout Mid-South
By Patrick Lantrip/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
With $11 billion spread out among more than 300 active projects in the Memphis area, according to data from brokerage firm Cushman & Wakefield/ Commercial Advisors, it’s safe to say business in the region is good. While Memphis proper still remains the epicenter for new developments, each area of the Mid-South brings something to the table that helps the region as a whole flourish.
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...iece-by-piece/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Dec 10, 2017 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 3:20 AM

Memphis to Byhalia nonstop: I-269 and I-22 now intersect
The Commercial Appeal/ Tom Bailey, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee

Quote:
The $76 million project stretches from Miss. 305 at Lewisburg to Miss. 302 east of Olive Branch, where the new highway connects with an existing I-269 segment that ties into Tenn. 385 at Collierville... Mississippi is ahead of Tennessee in construction. The only segment of I-69 under construction in Tennessee is a 45-mile section from the Kentucky line to Dyersburg. State officials have said construction from Dyersburg to Memphis won't occur until more federal money is available... By next fall, Mississippi highway officials expect I-269's last leg – from Miss. 305 to I-55 at Hernando – to be completed.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ect/930196001/

MDOT

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Dec 10, 2017 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:35 PM

Don't Give Up Hope Guys.

High-profile real estate firm enters massive One Beale project with optimism

The Memphis Business Journal:
Quote:
There have been few updates in 2017 related to Carlisle Corp.'s proposed $160 million tower development on the Mississippi River front, One Beale.

It has left some in the development community to question whether One Beale had stalled.

Behind the scenes, though, Carlisle has been working out an agreement to bring onboard multiple partners, including one of Memphis' most respected office developers.

Publicly traded Highwoods Properties — primarily through its Memphis division vice president Steve Guinn — is now working with Carlisle to make the massive project a reality.

"Downtown has been of interest for a while," Guinn said. "Specifically, the site the Carlisles have is I think the best office site in Shelby County. … It’s got river views, it’s got the amenities of Beale Street and is near both the existing office area and the burgeoning multifamily area farther south."

One Beale is set to include a hotel, apartments and office space, but Highwoods is only involved in the proposed office tower, Guinn said. The real estate firm will be primarily responsible for developing, financing and leasing the office development, said Carlisle president Chance Carlisle.

The company is planning to make a series of announcements relatively soon regarding separate hotel and multifamily partners, Carlisle said, though he declined to discuss the nature of these partnerships.

Highwoods' experience has Carlisle believing the development's prospects of coming to fruition "are extremely good … subject to landing an anchor tenant," he said.

Guinn struck a similar chord, saying the project all depends on whether or not they can find an anchor tenant willing to pay rents high enough to be "commensurate with the size of the building."

"There won’t be any speculative space in the building," Guinn said. "It is totally contingent on finding a good user to go in there. [If we can], I think we’re comfortable in the fact we have a good plan that can work."

Highwoods' agreement with Carlisle gives Guinn plenty of time to find such a user, which he said could take less than six months or more than three years.

If he lands that tenant, Guinn said the office portion of the project could move forward regardless of the status of the hotel and multifamily aspects — though each of those, especially the hotel, would be great for the office project.

As a whole, the project has been changing in recent years, Guinn said, and therefore would look significantly different than the above renderings, which Carlisle submitted to the Downtown Memphis Commission's Design Review Board in 2015.

The office building itself would be located at the southwest corner of Beale Street and Wagner Place. Multiple designs and sizes for that building are still possible, depending on its leasing, Guinn said.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:25 AM

Well, that's...something? Ha.. I've really started giving up on this and have been hoping for any kind of positive news.

"The company is planning to make a series of announcements relatively soon regarding separate hotel and multifamily partners, Carlisle said, though he declined to discuss the nature of these partnerships." - I think that is a good sign..I've been hoping anything as far as even we plan this to be a __ hotel.

"Highwoods' agreement with Carlisle gives Guinn plenty of time to find such a user, which he said could take less than six months or more than three years."-- This is about as vague as one could be on a timeline.. but at least it's another big company involved now, the office portion has seem to be off and on, glad to see something happening.

All in all thanks for the summary..saw the article online earlier but couldn't get past the paywall.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:28 AM

One Beale has been an embarrassingly drawn out saga. I'm at the point where any mention in the paper just gets an eye roll. What's different this time? From the last time, from the time before that...and the time before that?

Until the building is completed and welcoming tenants (see: Horizon tower), I'm not getting my hopes up.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 10:41 PM

Man I hate to say, but I was still in High School when One Beale was announced in 2005/06 and I remember following that and the Horizon condo tower then. I still want to see this project take off, but I'm over the excitement.
If we had a faster growing market with skyscrapers this one would be forgotten about.

Sound like there will be some new renderings as well. Hopefully taller towers, but I'm not holding my breathe. I know all year they tore down those buildings near by that they bought to make space for the project, so who knows.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:36 AM

Small Construction Update

Union & McLean

Methodist Tower (sorry it's big)

Hilton Garden Inn Downtown

https://vimeo.com/245401790

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 6:25 PM

Permit filed for Fairfield Inn & Suites

Memphis Business Journal:
Quote:
A building permit was recently filed for the former Downtown Benchmark Hotel.

On Dec. 15, a permit valued at $600,000 was filed for MNR Hospitality for renovations to the existing hotel at 164 Union Ave.

MNR Hospitality is affiliated with Goodlettsville, Tennessee-based Epiq Hotels, which bought the hotel for $3.2 million in 2012 and previously selected Atlanta-based Hotel Equities to manage the property after it's converted into a 128-room Fairfield Inn & Suites.
The hotel's owner began demolition of the property in 2016, but the project was delayed after renovation costs were higher than anticipated.

According to previous MBJ estimates, that conversion could cost around $15.3 million.

The Benchmark Hotel has been closed since 2010, after being shut down by St. Louis-based Roberts Companies.
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/...ark-hotel.html

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:25 AM

more info about convention center renovation

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:27 AM

Mclean/Union mixed-use project has groundbreaking Thursday and a name- The Citizen

http://www.commercialappeal.com/stor...ean/997322001/

Midtown mixed-use development named 'The Citizen'
Tom Bailey, USA TODAY NETWORK – Tennessee Published 3:30 p.m. CT Jan. 2, 2018 | Updated 3:32 p.m. CT Jan. 2, 2018

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 12:41 AM

Cook Convention Center permit filed

Memphis Business Journal:
Quote:
A permit valued at $137 million was filed for "modernization of the exterior and interior of existing space" of the building located at 255 Main St.Memphis-based Looney Ricks Kiss (LRK) and Atlanta-based Tvsdesign are the project architects. General contractors will be chosen in the spring after a competitive bidding process.

The project, which is being funded through Downtown Tourism Development Zone (TDZ) revenue and the hotel/motel tax, is expected to include 52 meeting rooms, glass-enclosed concourses and meeting spaces with river and skyline views and outdoor terraces. A "strong public art component" has also been planned for the building.

The work is expected to be completed in late 2019, during the city's bicentennial.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations