HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
This $43.5 million development has 344 apartments, 5,000 square feet of retail (two retail spaces), a bicycle commuter center with bike storage and tools, a dog park and dog wash, a 6th floor entertainment space overlooking Bailey Park, a courtyard with a saltwater pool, fire pits and grilling stations, and a fitness center. It's also across from two parks: Bailey Park to the southeast and the Goler Arts Park to the west. This is downtown Winston-Salem's second Link Apartments branded development. Ground breaking is set for early 2017. The location is across the street from Bailey Power Plant Complex in downtown's IQ District.

Cor-ten steel and a nice corner light feature:

Credit: Grubb Properties

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 8:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 5:43 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
NOTICE: All new proposals will be posted individually. All completed buildings will be posted individually.

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

A new crane at the site on Monday (October 24):

Credit: pfcwintergreen

Credit: astudioartist

Credit: nan_larosee

Structural demolition completed on this corner:

Credit: andymorrissey

Credit: TWC News

Removal of two silos and cutting open two bricked-in window recesses:

Silos removed (Sunday, October 23):

Credit: martykotis

Bailey Power Plant Building 23-1: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)

This image shows the other hollow clay tile silo (only one still standing):

Credit: WFIQ

Morris Building: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
I don't see any construction fencing around it, so nothing is happening at this time? We will continue to watch the site, after seeing workers there in the previous update.

Credit: devinthomasburke

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:
We haven't seen an update on this project in a couple of weeks. Sadly, our update is a night photograph. It's from October 24.

Credit: olesyamironenko

AFAS Center for the Arts:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1025
Credit: David Rolfe | JournalNow

Credit: simplygypsy182

Burger Batch:
You said you wanted to see the small restaurant/retail openings in this thread: Burger Batch will open in Mid-November, with craft beer and... of course, burgers.

Credit: DWSP

Wise Man Brewing - Brewery, Office Space, & Music Venue:
Wood from the collapsed ceiling is being reused in the building's interior. A wall made from old window frames will allow you to see into the room where the beer is made. They will have 16 taps with a variety of different beer styles, but they may only have around 5 beers ready on opening day (including collaboration beers)? Their opening is now pushed back to Late November or December. They will also have an outdoor games area with a glass roll-up door, so those inside can join the fun and their glass roll-up doors will allow them to open the building to the outside on a nice weather day.

Wood reused from the collapsed ceiling:

Credit: wisemanbeer

Wall made from old window frames:

Credit: mdbeverly

One of the glass roll-up doors:

Credit: mdbeverly

A close look at one of the murals:

Credit: ncstreetart

Creative Ventures Fund:
This is a new downtown Winston-Salem-based fund for new creative businesses, expanding creative businesses, and even non-profits and hybrids. The fund has already funded two new Winston-Salem projects, including a movie filmed around Winston-Salem called "Abundant Acreage Available" with Martin Scorsese as executive producer. "We want to enable creative entrepreneurs to launch new ventures and build a working environment conducive to creative industry innovation."

Top Shelf Headquarters:
The office space is said to be on hold. However, the taco restaurant on the ground floor is very close to completion! Crafted: The Art of the Taco will open November 2. Yes, on Wednesday of next week!

Credit: eatatcrafted

Ground floor restaurant:

Credit: lchapman49

Ground floor restaurant:

Credit: lchapman49

Amazing view from the kitchen:

Credit: jakerperiod

Amazing food displayed in the window:

Credit: harrism484

Credit: mynameismaggiepie

credit: eatatcrafted

They are ready to open, next week!

Credit: jakerperiod

Quarry Park:
We haven't seen an update on this new Winston-Salem City Park in several weeks.

Credit: WayUpMedia

Central on 5th:

Credit: fcpubliclibrary

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

It appears as if they will leave this area, above the main entrance, open? It looks great! (Twin City Condos is on the right):

Credit: terrysuave

757 North Apartments:
POLITICO Magazine provides an update on this project. It was a story on Winston-Salem as one of the nation's greatest comeback stories and what ideas downtown Winston-Salem can offer for other cities. They credit Winston-Salem's arts and the nation's fastest growing innovation district (downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District) for Winston-Salem's amazing turn-around and rapid growth.

Credit: POLITICO Magazine

Convention Center Renovation:
Work is now completed on the lower floor and workers will now start work on the top floor and demolish the front of the 1960s building, to expand it to Fifth Street. For this reason, Fifth Street is now closed in front of the convention center and will likely remain closed until January 1. The tunnel to the convention center is also closed. Work on the top floor and the expansion will be completed May 1. This should be the most interesting part of the renovation, since it's clearly visible and should involve a crane and steel, as well as some recladding work. Below are a few photographs of workers finishing the lower level, last week.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=620

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

An update on the renovation of the old bridge structure, between these two buildings:

Credit: cate_carter.yoga

Off-Subject:

Learn What is Happening in the IQ:
Would you like to learn more about what is happening in downtown's IQ District? Attend this event and you could ask questions of Dr. Eric Tomlinson! You will hear updates on recently announced projects, including the redevelopment of the iconic Bailey Power Plant, new recreation and education programs, retail amenities, and residential development. The event is open to anyone and is scheduled for Thursday, November 17 at 5:30 p.m., in Biotech Place. It's free, but you must register to attend: http://events.innovationquarter.com/...rter-town-hall

TEDxWinstonSalemWomen:
TEDxWinstonSalemWomen is October 27. This event will bring people together for presentations by global thought leaders, focusing on this year’s national TEDWomen conference theme, “It’s About Time.” Speakers and attendees will explore the conventions and challenges of time, with a special focus on exploring time through the lenses of life, work, society, innovation, and the arts. Announcing a power-packed slate of over 30 talented and brilliant speakers and performers that will ignite Winston-Salem, our city will hear the eclectic voices of dynamic leaders, educators, creatives, and change-makers.

Hillary Clinton & Michelle Obama in Winston-Salem:
Are you still undecided? Hillary Clinton & Michelle Obama will have their first joint campaign appearance, in Winston-Salem. The announcement of this event made the national TV news. This is a chance to see Clinton and also hear one of the First Lady's amazing speeches, at the same event! This is a very important election for the future of the state and country. Don't forget to vote for Democrat Roy Cooper, to send a message to the GOP and help bring an end to HB2. If you're a Democrat, be sure to vote! Vote early! Clinton, Ross, and Cooper need your vote!

To attend, you will need to RSVP: www.hillaryclinton.com/events It will be held in Hearn Plaza (outdoor venue), which can seat around 12,500 to 15,000 people. The event is Thursday (this week) and starts at 2 p.m.,. Be sure to arrive early.

Random Photographs:

Hydro Transformer Station in downtown Winston-Salem, completed April 20, 1898:

Credit: wllsct

Credit: wayupmedia

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:31 PM

Amazing to see 450 apartments coming to Patterson Ave. The IQ is shaping up to be one of the best neighborhoods in the state.

One last property that I think should be added to the North District and thats The Nissen castle. Often forgotten about, yet a smaller historic gem that needs a proper use.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 4:51 AM
Fourth and Main

If I lived in Winston-Salem, I would seriously consider moving to Link Apartments Innovation Quarter. Patterson Avenue and Vine Street have likely seen the most construction and investment of any downtown streets in this development cycle? The difference from just a few years ago is really amazing. There are maybe 13 or 14 completed or proposed projects and 2 vision projects, in this cycle, within a 6 block stretch of Patterson Avenue. Now, the excitement and anticipation moves to Fourth & Patterson, where WFIQ would like to see apartments (one of the two vision projects for Patterson). Think of how amazing Bailey Park will be, once the Fourth & Patterson apartment and retail building is completed.

The old Nissen Wagon Works Castle is included in the IQ District. It's the headquarters for a creative company (Black Horse Studio) that was featured in one of their HUB articles. The building is also on their list of buildings in the IQ District. I think the building may have one or more condominiums on the top floor, but I'm really not sure? According to WFIQ, it was once a wagon showroom and a wagon repair facility (in the days before the automobile). I've heard the basement was a massive foundry, with multiple furnaces for metal work. This is a really awesome city.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
If I lived in Winston-Salem, I would seriously consider moving to Link Apartments Innovation Quarter. Patterson Avenue and Vine Street have likely seen the most construction and investment of any downtown streets in this development cycle? The difference from just a few years ago is really amazing. There are maybe 13 or 14 completed or proposed projects and 2 vision projects, in this cycle, within a 6 block stretch of Patterson Avenue. Now, the excitement and anticipation moves to Fourth & Patterson, where WFIQ would like to see apartments (one of the two vision projects for Patterson). Think of how amazing Bailey Park will be, once the Fourth & Patterson apartment and retail building is completed.

The old Nissen Wagon Works Castle is included in the IQ District. It's the headquarters for a creative company (Black Horse Studio) that was featured in one of their HUB articles. The building is also on their list of buildings in the IQ District. I think the building may have one or more condominiums on the top floor, but I'm really not sure? According to WFIQ, it was once a wagon showroom and a wagon repair facility (in the days before the automobile). I've heard the basement was a massive foundry, with multiple furnaces for metal work. This is a really awesome city.
Ok I see. I just wish it had a stronger presence. Maybe lighting or a ground floor business would do the trick.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Projects & Construction:

- Great image of Winston Tower. Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 5:36 AM
Fourth and Main

Way Up Media and Wings Over Winston both have amazing work.

On the subject of the Nissen Wagon Works Castle: From what I read in a HUB article, it appears as if the castle was recently renovated? They describe removing the 1980s office renovation and bringing it back to its industrial look for their creative company office. This could be a construction project this thread missed? If you see a project that is missing from this thread, please post on it! There may be a few projects I don't know about? The first post on the first page of this thread has a long list of construction projects we are following on this thread (in the five county Winston-Salem Metro Area) and it includes a list of projects in the Winston-Salem City Limits that are under construction.

Projects & Construction:

This work was completed a week or two ago:

Credit: twin_city_quarter

Finished Lower Level:

Credit: christmas4city

From last week, as workers demolish the Fifth Street facade for a new entrance:

Law Firm Opens In IQ District:
NK Patent Law has opened an office in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The intellectual property law firm opened the office to serve entrepreneurs and tech firms in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District, which is the nation's fastest growing innovation district. The firm will focus on providing patent and trademark legal services to early stage businesses and spin-out companies. Justin Nifong, who is relocating to Winston-Salem to open the office, said “We felt like there was an opportunity for a firm that brought the technical depth and experience that our firm has to go into Winston-Salem and really serve those entrepreneurs. You’ve got a lot of life sciences related companies coming out of that area, you’ve got a lot of computer-related bioinformatics work coming out of that area."

Top Shelf Headquarters:
Crafted: The Art of the Taco opens tomorrow on the ground floor. No information, at this time, on the arts/event space or the office space. Thank you, to those involved in the restaurant, for sharing your restaurant's progress.

Soft opening for friends & family:

Credit: svetlannah

Credit: twincityhive

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Credit: piedmonttriadliving

Bailey Power Plant - Building 23-1: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
It appears as if Greg Hatem / Empire Properties is looking at other buildings. Greg would like to open a restaurant or two in downtown Winston-Salem, but I don't think he wants to renovate and expand this large concrete structure? It's a very expensive building to renovate. So, look for Empire Eats to open a restaurant somewhere else in downtown and look for a new developer for this property. Likely a developer with deep pockets and experience working with these big concrete structures. I'm guessing Wexford Equities and Ventas REIT will likely renovate it for retail/restaurant uses with maybe tech company offices and/or conference space on the upper floor?

Credit: b_rowne

A look inside the power plant:

Credit: svv.photography

Hotel Indigo:
Asbestos removal is completed and interior demolition will be completed next week. The developers are preparing to repair the brick and terracotta on the facade and begin the hotel conversion. Since this includes exterior work, maybe we will see photographs of it? This adaptive-reuse project will be completed in September 2017.

Vince Giancarlo will be the executive chef of the Sir Winston in Hotel Indigo. Giancarlo is a New Jersey native and a graduate of Johnson & Wales University. He currently works at Melisse, a Michelin two-star restaurant in Los Angeles. Giancarlo said Sir Winston will have a contemporary Southern menu with playful interpretations of Southern classics. The restaurant will have a wood-fired grill and offer plenty of seafood. “The coast is why I have such a strong appreciation for fresh seafood. I’m obsessed!”

Credit: glennfulk

All tanks are now in place and the electricity is connected:

Credit: Wise Man Brewing

Ray (below) worked for Angelo Brothers for 40 years and painted the Angelo Brothers signs on the building, now used for Wise Man Brewing:

Science & Engineering Center:
These are old photographs. I think they are from 7 or 8 months ago, but I'm really not sure? They are still interesting and worth sharing. This building will be completed in the middle of next month.

Old photograph of interior construction:

Old photograph of interior construction:

Credit: matty.life

It appears almost completed on the front, but still has a crane and scaffolding on the back:

Credit: inchkachka

Quarry Park:
The BOOM observation pier at Quarry Park, as of October 28. This will become one of Winston-Salem's "must see" attractions, when they complete the park.

Credit: _nishamary

Credit: stimmelpa

This is below the observation pier:

This is below the observation pier:

Beautiful skyline view from the observation pier:

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
An opening to the alleyway was cut into the pizza restaurant. I'm guessing it will have outdoor dining in the alley?

Opening (door or window?) cut into pizza restaurant:

Credit: lukeisafinename

SciWorks Downtown:
Wow! We haven't seen an update on this project since the rendering was posted. The new merged downtown Winston-Salem museum will have a planetarium, large water play area, and space for indoor animals. They are preparing for a $10 million capital campaign to build exhibits in the proposed building. SciWorks' market is 38 counties in North Carolina and 4 counties in Virginia.

The O'Hanlon:

Credit: Andrew Moore

Rail Streetcar System & Light Rail:
This update, from the city planning department, is from October 26, 2016. (Very Current!) Yes, both projects are still active proposals. Construction on the Streetcar (Urban Circulator) will being in 3-5 years. I think it's expected to start in around 3½ years, due to the expressway closure? Light Rail (LRT) is at least 10 or more years away. They will complete a small segment of the Light Rail (LRT) project in downtown, as part of the High Line / Rails-to-Trails project, in Spring 2017, but no trains will use the segment until the entire system is completed. The IQ District is running shuttles and really needs the Streetcar (Urban Circulator). Demand will only grow. However, if you think 3½ years is a long time, this thread is around three years old. So, maybe it's not as long as you think? Until then, there are always new bike lanes, which are "Immediate" projects. This city is always adding bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure.

Urban Circulator is the Rail Streetcar System - Light Rail is a large regional transit system

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Off-Subject:

Random Photographs:

Credit: driveflow

Forsyth County Government Center (This was an adaptive reuse project of an old industrial building):

Credit: paula.katz

An interesting neon sign on Fifth Street:

Credit: kirstgray

Massive crowd for Hillary Clinton & Michelle Obama at the LJVM Coliseum in Winston-Salem: (Clinton's largest crowd in North Carolina)
Credit: Walt Unks | JournalNow

This was Hillary Clinton's largest North Carolina crowd and made the national news. It was the first time Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama appeared together on the same stage. ABC News reported from Smith Reynolds Airport, with the Winston-Salem skyline in the background.

Michelle Obama at the LJVM Coliseum in Winston-Salem:

Credit: agg.sivri

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 4:51 AM
Fourth and Main

Second Street Park:
Add another new park: The city of Winston-Salem plans to create a park on Second Street. Preliminary plans envision a landscaped “passive” park with benches and paths. The park site is the site of the spring Moravian settlers used in 1700s for the water system President George Washington visited Winston-Salem to see. It appears as if the park will have a history marker, describing the public water system from the 1700s.

Credit: stimmelpa

Last edited by Matthew; Nov 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:02 AM
Fourth and Main

AirType Headquarters: Built!
Do you remember this creative company's office building with apartments and retail space? This adaptive reuse project was completed a few weeks ago. We now have enough photographs to make a big photography post on it! This was originally The Charles Apartments building with retail space. The retail space was originally Dalton-Hege Radio Supply: Think home-made radios and vintage wood cabinet radios, during a time when TV didn't exist. This old apartment building was a victim of several bad renovations, over the years. It's great to see this beautiful historic building preserved. It appears as if this building was vacant or abandoned? As if everyone walked away from it over 30 years ago? Furniture, vintage clothing, and framed documents/art still where the last tenants placed it, decades ago. I'm guessing it was a very difficult renovation and I thank AirType for doing this! The renovated building mixes modern with historic. It's a perfect headquarters for a creative company.

We didn't see many renovation photographs, so I'll post it from interior demolition to construction to completion. We can watch it completely transform in this one post!

Credit: AirType

These were homes, many years ago:

Is that an original pendant light?

It looks as if everyone abandoned the building 30+ years ago:

The historic tin ceiling has faces stamped into the design:

Look at the ceiling in these old photographs:

A trip back in time to 1949 (Dalton-Hege Radio Supply):

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

Do you think young teens in the store turned-up "big band / swing music" on the speaker display back then?

A trip back in time to 1949 (Dalton-Hege Radio Supply):

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library

The address is 1004, so 1921 must be the year this building was built?

Clothing Store on the Ground Floor:

Some of the original tin ceiling was used above the entrance:

I like the floors in these Apartments:

Breakroom in the Office Building:

Thank you to everyone who rescues and restores this amazing city's beautiful historic buildings! The research, tech, and creative companies in Winston-Salem have restored so many of these buildings!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 6:53 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

640 West Fourth (Hotel?):
We finally have more details on this project, along downtown's Restaurant Row. It appears as if Center City West Associates will build a new multi-storey hotel on this downtown site. The hotel will use an existing parking deck. This building will be zero-lot-lined with Foothills Brewing and the parking deck. Looking at the nearby attractions and new office developments, it's a very good site for a hotel.

It appears as if Wise Man will have sours. The brewery will open around mid-December.

Hydrating the foeder:

Credit: wisemanbeer

Credit: mctobers_craft_beer_adventures

Sutton Sports Performance Center:
This building has a new name: Sutton Sports Performance Center. I will change the name on our first post list and use this name when talking about this project.

Construction will begin this month on the Sutton Sports Performance Center and the Basketball Player Development Center. The two projects will cost $50 million and take 18 months to complete. In addition to basketball courts, sports science, nutrition, hydrotherapy, cryotherapy, sports medicine, and strength and conditioning, the two building complex will also have 40,000 square feet of office space.

Basketball Player Development Center:

Credit: Walter Robbs

Sutton Sports Performance Center:

Credit: Walter Robbs

Should we post on these as two separate projects or one project? They are shown together and starting construction together, but appear to be separate projects? If you know of any college/university developments that aren't on our first page list and you think they should be, please post those projects on this thread. It is likely I missed a few.

Are they constructing something on the back side of the building, to allow upper roof access? I know the front of the building appears to be nearing completion, but the back side still has scaffolding? Maybe this explains it?

New steel framed structure on the roof:

Credit: Linville|Team

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

Another look at the top floor:

Credit: devin_purgason

Top Shelf Headquarters:
The restaurant & bar is now completed. Kris Fuller hopes to use this location as her creative outlet for future pop-ups and wine dinners. Since it's larger than her other location, this restaurant has a much larger menu with more options. This is a must visit restaurant, if you're in downtown Winston-Salem! Moving on to the office building part of the project: I was concerned the Top Shelf lease, I was told about, may not have worked-out? So, I checked to see if it was back on the market and the office space isn't available for lease? Maybe they are waiting until the restaurant is completed or waiting until the new year? This project will remain on our list of proposals and construction projects, until the office space and arts/event space is completed. It will remain as "Top Shelf Headquarters" until I hear otherwise. This is a beautiful restoration!

Credit: triadfoodies

Credit: mynameismaggiepie

1802 Vierling House Restoration:
They have finally painted the exterior and they are installing the shutters on this 214 year-old structure. This will be an amazing city biotech museum, when completed.

Credit: real_estate_by_anton

757 North Apartments:

Credit: reid_camelcity

Credit: jeremydinoro

Workers are installing the water and sewer connections on the Fifth Street side of the building.

Credit: emsrunninmo

Credit: niedzit

Salem Lake Marina:
This is another project we haven't seen any recent updates for. Steel is now rising. Yes, this is inside the Winston-Salem city limits, near downtown! The lake and park are connected to downtown by bike and walking paths.

Credit: edmcneal

Central on 5th:
The third floor, on this side, doesn't have many windows, compared to the other floors? I see the facade is different colors, too.

Credit: nan_larosee

Corpening Plaza Restoration:

Credit: vincerabil

Photograph from yesterday:

Transportation Infrastructure:

Creative Corridors Twin Arches Bridge:
All of the pieces arrived and workers are preparing the twin arches to be installed. If you would like to see the twin arches installed, attend the watch party on November 12, at 10 a.m., at 900 Free Street.

Credit: Creative Corridors

Off-Subject:

Vote for the Democrats Today:
When I first started following developments, I wasn't really into politics. And then I noticed Republicans were often the reason some of my favorite projects would scale-back, cancel, or remain delayed. Remember when state-level Republicans ended historic tax credits used for the IQ District? Remember when Republicans tried to bring an end to Central on 5th? Remember when the state banned road diets to create bike lanes on state roads? What about using state parks for automobile hill climbs? Forcing fracking on Davie and Stokes counties. They have made changes to local elections, including Winston-Salem's! Look at HB2! Some are questioning if HB2 could impact the cycling center or IQ District's second phase! HB2 has already cost the city sports events, convention business, and tourism. Remember the cuts to the biotech center! Remember when they took away funding at the state level from Creative Corridors? Some of Creative Corridors' ideas were cut and some ideas were value-engineered, because of this. These are projects we are talking about in this post! What about the state university system! And we know Republicans don't like rail transit. I've learned if you like cities, mass-transit, and downtown development, you vote for the Democrats. This is a very important election. Please vote for the Democrats at the local, state, and federal level, TODAY!

Polls open today at 6:30 a.m. and close at 7:30 p.m.,. If you are already in line, when the polls close, you can still vote. Please vote for the Democrats Today!

Semans Arts Library:
Artwork from artists such as Andy Warhol, Julian Schnabel, Robert Motherwell, Willem deKooning, Robert Rauschenberg, and Cy Twombly are now on display in the Arts Library. You can see these works for free at anytime. The Arts Library also has an amazing view of the Winston-Salem skyline.

These are two of the works on permanent display in the library:

Willem deKooning's Figures in Landscape VI:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...c7ff.image.jpg
Credit: JournalNow

Mick Jagger by Andy Warhol:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...3bcc.image.jpg

Winston-Salem has several nationally recognized art museums, with amazing rotating collections. However, Winston-Salem also has a large amount of artwork from famous artists you can view for free, at different locations around the city, with no tickets/admission/donations required. It keeps art accessible to everyone. So, be sure to visit some of these locations, in addition to the city's museums.

Random Photographs:

Sauratown Mountains:

Credit: katelouise06

A rainy night (appears to be after midnight, since One West Fourth's lights are off):

Credit: ink_love_xox

Fall street with houses from the mid-1700s:

Credit: lilywolfe

This is the oldest barber shop in Winston-Salem:

Credit: hawthorne_barber_shop

Old Posted Nov 13, 2016, 3:59 PM
Fourth and Main

Creative Corridors Twin Arches Bridge: Built!
Construction is now completed on the first of several proposed decorative bridges from Creative Corridors. I think they have plans to light the arch structure at night? There are also plans to convert this stretch of expressway into Interstate 285. It's interesting to see the John Gold Expressway with no traffic. Winston-Salem is a city with winter weather. I'm guessing any freezing rain or melting and refreezing snow would flow down the side of the steel structure and not create falling ice?

Video Link

When that song was on the charts, this expressway was lined with everything from steel plants to furniture factories to a fertilizer plant to a large Sears warehouse to the world's largest brewery, which was a tourist attraction with a Bavarian Beer Hall.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=650

Tim Bowman photographs the twin-arch construction using a vintage 8x10 View Camera:
http://i.imgur.com/ymHBSfI.jpg

The Salem Steel Building and Winston-Salem's interesting terrain:
http://i.imgur.com/hNwSUU6.jpg

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2016, 6:30 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
We have a BIG update this week!

Hotel Indigo:
It's rare to find any photographs of the construction at this hotel. Thankfully, Hotel Indigo was on the Veterans Day Parade route, so it's in the background of a few parade photographs. Workers should be finished with the demolition and ready to start actual construction.

Credit: winstonfactorylofts

Credit: 50westfourth

Second Street Park:
The park site was the site of the first public waterworks system in the American Colonies in 1778. It tapped into natural springs and used bored logs that were joined together and buried under-ground to deliver the water to Salem. George Washington stopped by the waterworks during a visit to the area in 1791. That history will be honored in the park with a colorful pathway denoting the waterworks along with log decorations.

Someone who works at WFIQ said a company that performs pharmaceutical clinical trials could be relocating to Winston-Salem and leasing office space in Bailey Power Plant's Bailey Business Center (Building 23-2). No real details at this time. Could this be the anchor tenant for the power plant project?

Credit: tyschwanger

Credit: zigzagaroundtheworld

A look through an alley at one of the rarely seen back sides of the building: (dark gray building with scaffolding, at the end of the alley)

Credit: timbowman

This project will be completed in the middle of next month. Yes, roughly 4-5 weeks from now.

Credit: wakedowntown

We have an aerial view of the hotel construction site, showing the new wall between the parking deck and hotel. I enlarged this, so please excuse the poor quality. The photograph is from yesterday, so it is recent.

Credit: morganbostgraphics

Bookmarks Headquarters & Downtown Bookstore:
We finally have a rendering and the name of the store part of the project. The retail space will be called Bookmarks Bookstore & Cafe. Since we are reporting on the entire project, I won't change the name on the first post. This is more than just an independent bookstore. This project also includes office space for the bookmarks organization and meeting/event space to bring authors to the building. Fulk Architecture Studio in Brooklyn, New York is the architect for this project.

We finally have a rendering:

U.S. Olympic Cycling Training Center:
Several changes to report on this project. The Women's National Association of Cycling will move their headquarters to this building. I'm not sure if this is part of USA Cycling or the WCA? The proposed apartments, on the top floor, will be replaced with office space for startup companies. The brewery is replaced with a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinic that will become a model for other U.S. Olympic Training Centers, in all sports, and it will be open to the public. The health food restaurant is still proposed for Liberty Street. I'm moving the opening date, on our first post list, to Late 2017.

Credit: NCC

Morris Building:
The street is closed in front of this building and there is heavy equipment around it.

Credit: krankiescoffee

Credit: smreilly85

West Salem Modern:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

New Headquarters:
RAI Trade Marketing Services is downtown Winston-Salem's newest corporate headquarters. The company will handle sales, distribution, and retail strategy for RAI. Mike Auger, president of RAI TMS, said the subsidiary will create a single point of contact for business partners and offer valuable guidance on business growth to retail partners.

NoTra Mixed-use Building:
We haven't seen an update on this office buliding/condo/retail project in a long time! We can see the steel frame rising in this photograph, below.

Did NoTra top-out? It appears topped-out?

Credit: winstonwatchman

Central on 5th:
Are you an artist? Would you like to make a large sculpture for a park at a downtown Winston-Salem building? The Public Art Commission has issued a call to artists, from anywhere in the world, to submit proposals for a permanent public art feature at this building! You have to submit your proposal before 5 p.m., on December 9 to Kelly Bennett, City-County Planning, P.O. Box 2511, Winston-Salem, NC 27102. Submissions may be emailed as a .zip file (10mb max) to kellyb@cityofws.org

Schedule:
December 9, 2016: Deadline for submission due at 5:00 p.m.,.
Week of December 12, 2016: Committee review and selection of finalists
Week of January 9, 2017: Presentations by finalists (in person)
Late spring, 2017: Fabrication and installation completed

It doesn't matter if you are in another country or another state or if you live downtown, if you are an artist, you can submit your proposal and receive up to $60,000 to make it. It must be a large work of art, to fill the large outdoor space and be highly visible. Since the building is under construction, there is flexibility in landscaping and lighting. Contract Kelly Bennett for more details.

Location of the Art and Measurements:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

I know there are many creative people here and we would love to see you submit a proposal! Maybe you know an artist who would be interested and can share this information with them? It's a great opportunity to make a large piece of public art in a sizable city and get paid for it.

Installing taps:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Aviation College:
You passed the bonds, so this project is now moving forward. Thank you for voting!

New FTCC Library:
You passed the $65 million FTCC Bond and now this project will move forward! Thank you for voting!

The wall is down and workers are ready to expand the convention center.

Workers will expand this side to the sidewalk:
[http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...pg?resize=1025
Credit: avid Rolfe | JournalNow

The back-lit polycarbonate cladding is now being installed. These panels will actually light-up at night.

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Back-lit polycarbonate cladding installation:

Credit: Mackenzie Cates-Allen

Quarry Park:

A great view from The BOOM observation Pier in Winston-Salem's newest park:

Credit: buckner_companies

An update on the cycling, walking, and future Light Rail (LRT) in an elevated park, that was once used for elevated freight rail lines. We don't see many updates on this project. TWC seems to provide most of the best updates.

Repairing Victorian Belgium-block Fogle Street below one of the project's historic bridges:

Work on the future Light Rail (LRT) rail lines: (We can see the railings, ramps, and steps to the project are installed at this location)

Future Light Rail (LRT) along the path:

I'm guessing these are rail crossings for bicycles and pedestrians:

Union Station & Streetcar Yard:
New Atlantic Contracting was hired for the second and final phase of renovation work. Work will be completed in June 2018.

Off-Subject:

Wake Forest University Soccer:
Wake Forest University won the 2016 ACC Soccer Championship and will likely be a top four seed in the NCAA Championships.

WSSU Football:
The 2016 CIAA Champion Winston-Salem State University football team was given a bid to the Division II playoffs.

Most Technology-advanced Cities:
For the 15th year in a row, Winston-Salem was among the top 10 most technology-advanced cities of its size in America.

Random Photographs:

This house was built in 1797:

Credit: valor_american_home

Winston Square Park & Amphitheatre:

Credit: Haley

Too narrow for cars:

Credit: phoebealicia1313

Salem Lake, near downtown:

Credit: alegriashoes

Election Protest: (Hotel Indigo construction in the background)

Credit: thedotmatrix

Election Protest:

Credit: its_jack_layer

Quote:
The protesters chanted a variety of slogans such as “black lives matter,” “Hispanic lives matter,” “trans lives matter,” “Muslim lives matter” and “love Trumps hate.”

As they walked on the sidewalks on Main and Fourth streets, the protesters’ voices reverberated off the downtown buildings. They chanted “We reject the president-elect,” “immigrants’ lives matter” and “refugees’ lives matter.”
Winston-Salem's election protests were reported internationally and continued for several nights.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 1:46 AM
Fourth and Main

411 West Fourth:
This mixed-use adaptive-reuse project has started interior demolition. It will be an office building with a ground-level restaurant and valet parking. The Chamber of Commerce appears to be an office tenant for the top floor? STITCH Design Shop is the architect. From the floor plan, it appears as if they will add-on to the back of the structure, including a new elevator lobby for the office space. No word on what is planned for the basement. I think the basement was entertainment & retail at one time? It was home to two or three dance clubs, in the 1980s and 1990s, and I think it was an Irish folk music venue until recently. If you would like to lease retail or office space in this development, call (336) 724-1715 and ask for more details on what space is available. This is a great location!

#CityOfAdaptiveReuse

Credit: Linville-Team

This building had an Art Deco movie theatre, at one time:

Credit: NC Room (1930s)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 4:46 PM

411's restaurant space looks huge! I'm loving this project as well as Bookmarks. Great use of existing buildings.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2016, 2:43 PM
Fourth and Main

We could have another big adaptive-reuse proposal on our list, soon. I need a few more details, before posting it here.

A fun video on downtown:
Video Link

Old Posted Nov 20, 2016, 3:21 AM

Quote:

Beautiful skyline view from the observation pier:

Credit: agg.sivri
- From the illustrations, I did not realize how far away downtown really is.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 6:44 AM
Fourth and Main

It's in Winston-Salem's Flat Rock Neighborhood, at the top of a volcanic ridge, which we can see rising in the photographs. I remember that neighborhood had nice views of Hanging Rock State Park and the Sauratown Mountains, from the higher elevations. When I was a teen, living in Arden (Henderson-Buncombe County Line), I remember visiting Winston-Salem with a friend from school who also liked photography and I had plans to photograph the site. It's an amazingly clear lake, with dramatic volcanic stone cliffs and skyline views from the top. The friend I was with said no, after looking at the fence around the site; so I changed my plans and visited Union Station instead. It was a cold winter day, with light snow flurries, around 12-13 years ago. Maybe I can visit the site when it opens as a new park, on a warm summer day, and not have to trespass / find an opening in a fence to do so.

I don't think I would do something like that, today? The beauty of the site has attracted many people to look for that fence opening, though. And that explains why the city is transforming it into a regional tourist attraction park.

Projects & Construction:

They are removing the corrugated metal panels and plywood from the exterior, opening-up the structure:

Credit: paintmonsters

Credit: checkybeckford

Credit: glenn511365

Smoke from the many wildfires in the North Carolina mountains:

Credit: dariawestervelt

The building will be expanded to the sidewalk:

Credit: CFTC

Quarry Park:

The handrails are now installed on The Boom observation Pier:

607 North Trade Building:
Workers have started demolition in this building for Miss Ora's Kitchen. The restaurant will cost a little under $500,000.

757 North Apartments:

Wood frame structure at the bottom:

Credit: leonardrydenburrrealestate

325 North Broad Street:
This mixed-use (condominiums - office space - retail - under-ground parking) building has acquired financing and that could be a sign this project is close to moving forward! At 9-storeys, on a high-elevation site, this building could have an impact on the skyline... if the design hasn't changed.

Maya Angelou Hall:
This building, on the campus of Wake Forest University, is now named for Maya Angelou. The famous poet moved to Winston-Salem after making many friends here on a visit. She taught at Wake Forest University. I love the idea of naming this building for her. It boasts energy efficient features, like touch screens in the hallways to monitor energy usage, high-efficiency double-paned aluminum windows, and thermostats that can be adjusted in individual rooms. I will change the name of this building on our first post list and use that name for future updates on this project. Completion is set for January. Yes, we are in the final weeks of construction for this project. Barbee Oakes said “Dr. Angelou opened her home to people from every nation. How fitting to name a residence hall after someone who embodied the courage to bridge divides and foster an appreciation for our shared humanity.”

Hotel Indigo:
The developers have acquired the 0.41 acre site to the south of this building. No details on their plans, but they did hire someone to perform soil testing on the site a couple months ago. I'm guessing they will build something there?

Credit: ecsolano

Inmar Acquires Collective Bias:
Tech company Inmar, headquartered in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ Distirct, has acquired Bentonville-based Collective Bias, a shopper-focused influencer marketing company. Collective Bias uses consumer recommendation and endorsement across thousands of websites and millions of social media connections to help brands promote retailer-specific initiatives. No word on how many jobs this could create in downtown Winston-Salem.

411 West Fourth:
Interior demolition has started for this office building with retail adaptive-reuse project.

Awesome!

New Jobs:
The Variable Ad Agency has grown by 20% and is hiring more employees at their downtown headquarters, in the IQ District.

We have an aerial view of the site from the 34-storey Wells Fargo Center.

It's on the bottom left corner... look for the dirt with concrete forms:

Credit: Unknown

Ballpark View Apartments:
A nice aerial view of the site. I don't think we've seen this view. Please excuse the low quality image. It was enlarged.

Credit: Linville Team

The bike and walking paths through the IQ District will be named Long Branch Trail. Long Branch was the name of the residential neighborhood in the far northeast corner of downtown in the mid-1800s. The neighborhood no longer exists, but this is a way to remember that history. Since we are talking about an elevated park that includes the trail, I will keep the name we are currently using and add the trail's new name in the description.

Progress update on Winston-Salem's High Line:

Credit: lostvestige

Off-Subject:

Old Salem's New President:
Well-known historian Franklin Vagnone was selected as Old Salem Museums & Gardens new president. He was co-author of “The Anarchist’s Guide to Historic House Museums" and has a master's degree in architecture from Columbia University. Vagnone said “We will be a national model for creative ways that heritage sites can remain central to our everyday lives. What I really like about Old Salem is that it is not simply a dead historic site; it is an active village. It has a bakery, tavern, cafe, people actually live here, and best of all, our dog Yogi will have new friends to play with.” Vagnone is known for his “One-Night Stand” series, during which he spends the night in a historic house museum. He plans to bring the series to Old Salem's Tavern on December 1. He is moving from New York City to Winston-Salem with his partner Johnny Yeagley and they will live in 438 S. Main Street, built in 1768. It's roughly 4 blocks south of the tallest skyscraper in Winston-Salem.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=380

He remembers visiting Winston-Salem's Old Salem National Landmark District when he was a kid.

Random Photographs:

Credit: dankerickson

Credit: danieldeceder

Skyline with smoke from forest fires:

Credit: bubbliblondgirl

This is a good time to thank all of the architects and developers who have brought back the city I love, through the projects discussed in this thread. Thanks to you, Winston-Salem is now receiving national attention as one of the nation's greatest comeback stories. Most of them are from the northeast and west coast. Trying to thank everyone individually would result in me missing someone. It really means a lot to me. It's great to see these old buildings rescued and to see the infill projects, too. I'm thankful for the many businesses that select downtown Winston-Salem and make many of these projects possible. I also want to thank the photographers and people who share updates used in this thread. I've talked with many of the photographers, as they find this thread, and they have all supported this. Without you, this thread wouldn't exist. I'm very thankful to everyone who approved the bonds and voted for downtown supporters. Also, I'm thankful for those who let me know someone out there is reading this by replying to the thread. You encourage me to continue doing this. Next Tuesday, we will reach the three year anniversary of this thread.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Jan 27, 2017 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 12:51 AM
Fourth and Main

I'm seeing exciting news on several new projects, including a new downtown bank headquarters and a new apartment building. I'll report on those when I have more information. Until then, this is an exciting adaptive reuse of a building from the 1700s.

1794 Boy's School Restoration:
Frank L. Blum Construction was selected as the General Contractor for this project that will restore one of nation's oldest public school buildings. It's also the oldest Moravian school building, at nearly 223 years old. When it originally opened, in 1794, it offered schooling for both boys and girls, which was rare in the United States at the time and shows how progressive Winston-Salem was in the late-1700s. The building will be restored as an interpretive museum, telling the story of education in the city's early days. It will also cover early American education. The museum will show visitors what students in the late-1700s in Winston-Salem would study and what career choices they had. Visitors and school groups will tour the building and be able to sit in school desks and participate in interactive historic activities. There will be hidden technology that will allow it to be used for teacher training workshops. It will also have the ability for distance learning for student groups that might be too far to visit. Construction starts in January and will be completed in Fall 2017. The restoration project has received a $150,000 federal grant from the Institute of Museum & Library Service in Washington, D.C., to help pay for some of the restoration and museum upfit costs. Forsyth County was asked to pay $1.5 million and the remaining amount will be raised from donors.

Credit: The Chronicle

#CityOfAdaptiveReuse
Did you know: This building was first used as a museum in 1897, when it was renovated into the Wachovia Museum. Sadly, the building closed six or seven years ago. It will be great to see it restored and reopen late next year!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 6:04 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Credit: josh_hudak122

AirType Headquarters: Built!
Yes, this project was completed (See more completion photographs in the November 7th post). However, I found more photographs of the completed interior I thought you may want to see. In the big November 7 completion photography post, I didn't have any photographs of the completed office space. Now I have two photographs of the completed office space, from the Journal.

Creative Company Office Space:

Employee Break Room:

HealthSouth Winston-Salem Hospital:
This proposed 68-bed hospital in Winston-Salem gained approval from state regulators. It will be HealthSouth's first hospital in North Carolina.

Credit: ianfowlermeh

Translucent panel installation:

Credit: Wise Man Beer

This building could be three weeks, maybe less, from completion?

Building in the middle:

Cambridge Innovation Center's Venture Café has confirmed they are opening in Bailey Power Plant's 20,030 square foot Innovation Center. Bailey Power Plant will also have retail stores, restaurants, and office space, with a pharmaceutical clinical trials company said to be interested in moving into the office space in this building. The developers in downtown's IQ District expect to bring 6,000 new jobs to the recent development projects they have started or are about to start.

Credit: twatson47

Credit: locarterr_

Piedmont Federal Mixed-use Building:
The developer of the Hotel Indigo may have entered an agreement to acquire a property in exchange for developing this mixed-use office building for Piedmont Federal Bank? The building will be completed on or before May 21, 2019.

Pike Electric Tech Center:
Remember this downtown project, in the One West Fourth skyscraper? It's almost completed. As you know, I love seeing the interior of these research & technology offices. As winter weather arrives, this is the local company that works with your electric company, across the United States, to restore electricity after storms. You will often see their trucks in your city, when the weather is bad. This downtown Winston-Salem office is the tech operations of the company.

Credit: angelodadamo

Credit: David Rolfe | JouralNow

Sandblasting a light tower at the former Piedmont Coal & Gas rail yard:
http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...jpg?resize=620

The light tower will be reused as part of the elevated bike & walking path.

Fogle Street Entry Plaza and Former Piedmont Coal & Gas Light Tower:
http://i.imgur.com/OelCYtK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AvDVMMp.jpg

Off-Subject:

Visiting Winston-Salem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Buckhead
With a history that dates back to 1753, Winston-Salem has spent the last two centuries growing into a city rich in diversity, both in arts and business. The numerous attractions make it a more than worthwhile 5-hour drive from Buckhead. Here, we share an itinerary jam-packed with arts and culinary highlights. We dare you to keep up with the pace.
Plan your three-day visit: http://simplybuckhead.com/winston-salem-whirlwind

Random Photographs:

Credit: virchowous

Movie Studio Lot:

Credit: ianfowlermeh

North Carolina's oldest steel-framed skyscraper:

Fall in Winston-Salem (houses from the mid-1700s):

Credit: em.brooke_

Credit: lostvestige

The view from inside North Carolina's oldest steel-framed skyscraper:

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 29, 2017 at 8:53 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:11 AM
Fourth and Main

The brewery boom continues...

New Brewery:
The newest brewery on our construction list is "Have Another! Brewing Company." Yes, it is currently under construction. Their opening is set for May 2017. They are working on ten recipes, which will include a vanilla bourbon porter, a wheat beer with a little rye, an amber ale, and a golden ale. They have a building and are currently applying for their commercial brewers permit.

I think there are four or five breweries on our Projects & Construction list?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations