HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:43 PM

My intention is not to start a city vs. city debate, but, now that the skyline has grown, if a foreign visitor were to come to California and visit both LA and SF and not know anything about either before arriving, they would think that SF was by far the bigger city, not knowing that LA has FIVE times the population! SF is more crammed and there is a more bustling vibe in the traffic (not freeway traffic but actual city traffic) and the streetscape, and now the skyline is taller and much more dense.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 5:50 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsayh1 View Post
Great pics of the central subway progress. Amazing how large some of those spaces are.

I can't believe that don't have this running all the way to north beach though. Seems short sighted considering how many tourists stay down that way near fisherman's wharf and they like to go to union square and vice versa. Not that I wouldn't recommend a stroll through chinatown to get there but from a mass transit point of view it seems strange to stop it where they are.
Many of us think it will eventually be extended to the Wharf (and perhaps beyond to the Marina Green via an unused railroad tunnel under Ft. Mason). It would greatly help if we had a national administration that was actually into building things to benefit masses of people.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 9:04 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Many of us think it will eventually be extended to the Wharf (and perhaps beyond to the Marina Green via an unused railroad tunnel under Ft. Mason). It would greatly help if we had a national administration that was actually into building things to benefit masses of people.
Despite Van Ness BRT, I am holding out for the Central Subway to extend up to Fisherman's Wharf and down Van Ness to intersect with Market & Van Ness, creating a loop when merged with Muni there (in public transit, loops are far more beneficial than spokes). At the very least it could meet where the Van Ness BRT starts to create a subway/bus loop.

Still though, a second transbay tunnel should have the highest priority in SF public transit after DTX is funded.

I live about two blocks from the new Chinatown station, they seem to be working 24/7 on this project, which is great.

Old Posted May 6, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
I have a feeling that 325 Fremont might break ground soon.

Just this week it received the last of its needed permits. It now has building, shoring, and excavation permits in hand.

We should keep an eye on the site for any signs of movement.

http://www.handelarchitects.com/proj...mont-main.html
Looks like the official groundbreaking happened while weren't looking.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slock View Post
Looks like the official groundbreaking happened while weren't looking.

Sorry, I don't think construction is starting any time soon. They have an approved "site permit", which is for the general architectural drawings, but they also need approval for all the so-called "addenda", most of which haven't even been filed yet. These are the detailed structural, mechanical, engineering, etc., plans.

There is a shoring permit, but the status says "complete", so this is apparently for work previously done.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 5:46 AM

San Francisco
by Davor Desancic, on Flickr

Great shot showing the current skyline silhouette from the south.

Really shows how Oceanwide Center and Parcel F (left of the SFT) are going to complete the 'Transbay peak'.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsayh1 View Post
Great pics of the central subway progress. Amazing how large some of those spaces are.

I can't believe that don't have this running all the way to north beach though. Seems short sighted considering how many tourists stay down that way near fisherman's wharf and they like to go to union square and vice versa. Not that I wouldn't recommend a stroll through chinatown to get there but from a mass transit point of view it seems strange to stop it where they are.
I'm sure it will eventually run to North Beach and there are proosals to run it through Ft. Mason to the Marina. But right now it's a question of money. The Subway itself was essentially a payoff to Chinatown political leadership by Willie Brown to support the demolition of the Embaracadero Freeway which they believed brought tourists and customers to Chinatown itself so Chinatown was the essential destination. But it can easily be extended when mony can be obtained (next Democratic administation?), probably on the surface, not underground though.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
a second transbay tunnel should have the highest priority in SF public transit after DTX is funded.
Highest BAY AREA priority probably but not necessarily SF. These decisions are now made area-wide though.

In SF itself, I'd argue a Geary metro line (subway as far as Webster or Fillmore) should be priority.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 9:14 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post

San Francisco
by Davor Desancic, on Flickr

Great shot showing the current skyline silhouette from the south.

Really shows how Oceanwide Center and Parcel F (left of the SFT) are going to complete the 'Transbay peak'.
HOLY SMOKES!!! WOW!!! What a beautiful scene!

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I'm sure it will eventually run to North Beach and there are proosals to run it through Ft. Mason to the Marina. But right now it's a question of money. The Subway itself was essentially a payoff to Chinatown political leadership by Willie Brown to support the demolition of the Embaracadero Freeway which they believed brought tourists and customers to Chinatown itself so Chinatown was the essential destination. But it can easily be extended when mony can be obtained (next Democratic administation?), probably on the surface, not underground though.
I think it would be far more likely for the F line vintage trolley cars to extend through aquatic park and under fort mason to the marina. From a cost perspective it would make far more sense not to mention being so visible the vintage trolley cars are certainly more charming to be running along the waterfront. Just my opinion though.

I also be the city gave up a prime station option for the central subway to private development near washington square park.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:01 AM
heavy user of walkability

Dogpatch area...

AbacaSF, the project at Third and 23rd St, has shed more scaffolding. here is the Third St side

and the back along Tennessee, which we had a glimpse of last week. the style is not my cup of tea, but happy to have the housing next to a streetcar stop where there was none before

sidewalks around KnoxSF, a block up from the 22nd St Caltrain station, are finally open

Avalon project on Indiana. looking north

south

from the west

815 Tennessee coming along slowly

'The Martin' on Third and about 18th

this is across Mariposa from UCSF's hospital. not sure what is going on here

small project at the foot of Potrero Hill

some shots of the early work at Crane Cove Park

I wasn't sure what the 'RH' stood for in this new fencing banner on the Union Ironworks office building in Pier 70, so I looked it up and found this

Last edited by timbad; May 8, 2017 at 5:14 AM. Reason: added Crane Cove stuff

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 5:03 AM

not great shots, but the little park at 17th and Folsom

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
this is across Mariposa from UCSF's hospital. not sure what is going on here

It's a 20-unit condo building.

http://sfmea.sfplanning.org/2014.1579E_CPE.pdf

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Dogpatch area...
Wow. It's really incredible how much the Dogpatch has changed, even from when I moved to SF almost seven years ago. If I saw these pictures and you told me it that would be the Dogpatch, I honestly wouldn't have believed you.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishhead View Post
Wow. It's really incredible how much the Dogpatch has changed, even from when I moved to SF almost seven years ago. If I saw these pictures and you told me it that would be the Dogpatch, I honestly wouldn't have believed you.
If you had told me that many people wanted to live next to an elevated double deck freeway, I wouldn't have believed you.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
If you had told me that many people wanted to live next to an elevated double deck freeway, I wouldn't have believed you.
Yeah. It's not double deck there, but I get what you're saying. It is not all that appealing from the freeway either. A number of the buildings have (what I presume to be) blind walls there to muffle the sound, and nobody wants everyone on the freeway to be able to see right into their bedroom.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
thanks as always. I like that one, looks good and nice fit.

an aside: as much as is going on in Dogpatch these days, it also seems like there are as many projects there we have been hearing about for years that haven't started yet. I get impatient!

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 4:48 PM

Fog City Redux by Wilson Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted May 10, 2017, 8:41 PM

Beautoxic!

Old Posted May 15, 2017, 7:34 AM

Quote:
initial work does seem to be underway at Crane Cove Park...

it appears the work will include demolition of this small wood building along Illinois St, so this is something of a 'before' pic

and, it's gone:

it seems another structure was also taken out just to its south, but I already forget what was there.

wider look

further south, they have removed the cabs from the tops of the mobile crane platforms on either side of the slipway, and uncovered the tracks for at least one of them. I seem to recall that one of the cranes is to be moved closer to the water, so it may be this one.

and while we're in Dogpatch, another look at AbacaSF on Third

and the skyline from 20th St

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations