HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:34 PM

This is true.

I'm just thinking if they need to get across traffic from left lane on WB Pioneer to the right curb lane on SB Main St. for example. Depending on how the lanes come off the transitway. I could picture a ramp coming down from trasnitway onto the lot between Pioneer and Will Steph.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:49 PM

Honestly I think the easiest, cheapest, and likely best option would to be to just add a (transit-controlled) light at Wesley and have the ramp come down either on Wesley or jsut north of it in that lot. That would easily allow NB buses to cut across main to turn left onto Graham, and SB to turn left at Wesley onto the transitway.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:57 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 4:22 PM

Not sure if this has come up on here yet, but does anyone know what's going on where all those "townhouses" were torn down on Harkness & Mayfair? Not the MYS building on the river side, but the ones in the link. Demolition is done and there's construction fencing up but no clue as to what will replace it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88305...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 10:51 PM

I asked about those a while ago. I think they might be building new public housing, which would kind of be a shame. That's prime real estate, close as it is to downtown, the Forks and Osborne, but the public housing made it really grim and sketchy. I'm all for rebuilding affordable housing in the area, but it should be part of a mixed-income development.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:42 AM

^Agreed. And add in some more height and a few CRUs.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:29 PM
Spiritual

http://www.cjob.com/2016/07/15/clout...but-on-budget/
Quote:
CJOB.com
July 15, 2016

Cloutier: Women’s Hospital Delayed but on Budget

It’s on budget but not at all on time.

The Women’s Hospital at Health Sciences Centre will cost $265 million but will be almost two years late. Construction delays and alterations to the design are mainly to blame. I will spare you the overdue baby metaphors but once operational, the 170 bed hospital will have several new services for expectant moms.

The building is breathtaking. There’s an open atrium, outdoor patio and rooftop garden. The design is mindful of the needs of families joyful about a birth while others with early or complicated arrivals will need family space to wait, pray and grieve.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 4:02 PM

I'm not a construction expert, but would this imply that the province had a contract with the builder that would put overruns on the builder? I just don't know how a project can take 2 years longer than expected and not have extreme labour cost overruns.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
So, over in the Provincial economy thread, it came up that Winnipeg has some of the lowest office vacancy rates in the country at 9%. Looking at the stats, the vacancy rate actually went down between Q3 and Q4 2015.
Oil and Gas have crushed provinces that normally outperform ours... All eastern provinces, Sask and Alb will hurt.

Despite modest vacancy, Vancouver and BC are economically leading Canada. Toronto is Toronto and getting 100,000 new people every year so that can't be topped.

In normal circumstances we'd be at 7 or 8, but the aforementioned resource provinces would be lower.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 10:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'm not a construction expert, but would this imply that the province had a contract with the builder that would put overruns on the builder? I just don't know how a project can take 2 years longer than expected and not have extreme labour cost overruns.
the shoring caved in at one point

prolly kepted costs in controll by limiting overtime

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:05 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's interesting, considering it's the same general contractor who worked on the new airport terminal, which was also two years behind from scheduled opening. Go figure...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 12:35 PM

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 2:50 PM

The Winnipeg Firewalled Press has an article today about MLLC to the Medical Arts. The article cities several anonymous industry sources about their already being a surplus of downtown office space. That is before True North Square, SkyCity and 300 Main come on line. Definitely going to be some rocky times ahead for downtown.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Here's what it looks like now.

Diagnostic Center of Excellence across the street which is also a year or 2 past due from opening.

Helli Pad on top

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:15 PM

They really do look incredible. It's a shame there's likely no room for trees on Sherbrook there, because some real trees along with the image on the side would look pretty cool.

Speaking of tree "images" — what's happening at BGBX? Are they (still) building phase 2? I'm never in that area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The Winnipeg Firewalled Press has an article today about MLLC to the Medical Arts. The article cities several anonymous industry sources about their already being a surplus of downtown office space. That is before True North Square, SkyCity and 300 Main come on line. Definitely going to be some rocky times ahead for downtown.
If so, I guess it will be balanced somewhat by increasing numbers of residential and smaller businesses, like restaurants, coming downtown, as noted in the FP's article on the progress report.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 4:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Diagnostic Center of Excellence across the street which is also a year or 2 past due from opening.
The building is finished but from the beginning there was no plan as to what to put in it. So, there it sits.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:27 PM

our department of 15 wanted in there but we were denied as there is no space, its all spoken for.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 6:10 PM
Starring as himself

Just what is a "diagnostic centre of excellence"? Sounds like something someone came up with using those fridge magnets with words on them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 6:29 PM

its a place with state of the art DI equipment/professionals all located in one location. Patients are not competing for wait times throughout the hospital yadda yadda yadd

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan