HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiMan View Post

as far as a zoo there is plenty of land just north of the city and again Miami, jacksonville, tampa, new orleans(under sea level) all have zoos and we are further above sea level then they are, so dont say it cant or shouldnt be done its being done
and they all have ships, trains, cars, actually more of those things than we have
new yorks central park and brooklyn ny zoos having the most noise)))

(((we have been using horse drawn carriages for hundreads of years they are fine and its not cruel)))
horses shouldnt have to walk around busy downtown streets on hard asphalt with cars speeding by them. its just not a humane thing to do an theres no way you can argue that it is safe for the animals.
it also isnt pleasant for people walking around the streets to come across a pile of dung left by a horse.

i'm all for a zoo if its done with research in mind.

Just not downtown

photo cred: http://flickr.com/photos/au_tiger01/110282425 au_tiger01 on flickr (i think they were originally from the press-register)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:01 AM

Not sure what the point of those pictures was. I'm guessing it was to point out the danger of storm surge, but animals can be moved. It's done all the time at a # of locations around the US. What you depict is a rare occurrence and, when you get right down to it, flooding is a potential danger in most of our largest cities, actually.... a legacy of humanity's tendency to locate near bodies of water.

As I don't believe there's sufficient land to make a truly exemplary zoo downtown, then I would rather other entertainments that can be more compact be put there. I think the only adjustment that needs to be made for those handful of blocks downtown that would be most affected by a storm surge is that an effort be made to put things on the bottom floor that are least able to be damaged (or most easily evacuated). Many businesses in the area put their lobby's convention spaces, etc. on the lower floors while protecting the more sensitive parts in the upper stories. I don't think it's that big of an impactor on aquaria.

If a person is stuck on the idea of a zoo downtown there is the option of smaller zoo-like attractions which can be done in raised platforms. An Alligator enclosure, Reptile House, Black Bear habitat, etc.... It's local fauna, but it's interesting enough to locals and different enough for tourists that it might be an interesting option. I maintain that the best option for the zoo enthusiasts is either in Midtown, near Pritchard, or somewhere just south of the main mass of town.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 4:28 PM
Closed account

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 4:37 PM

I went to the Baybears game last night and was really depressed. I know we have not been all that good for the last coupl of years, but I have seen bigger crowds at little league games. There might have been 250-500 people there. We went on free tickets my fiancee got from work. They announced all the groups that were in attendance (including her work). I promise you there were not 15 people there who had not come on a free/discounted ticket with a group. I'm sure they draw a little better crowd on the weekend, but still. We had this discussion a while back, but personally I think a better stadium in a more unique enviroment would thrive. They also do not do enough advertising. They do a thirsty thursday with cheap beer that I have never heard about. I would go for a live black bear mascot if that was possible as well.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 4:46 PM
Closed account

I agree, they need to spice it up a bit and maybe a better coach!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:04 PM

Bay Bears...is having a bear in a pool for a mascot humane? Miami used to have a Dolphin swimming in the Orange Bowl end zone in the '70's. Might not work as good with a bear though. I really don't think the location of your park is all that bad and you can't locate everything downtown on the Bay, especially considering your needs for waterfront industrial space. Anywho...at least you guys actually built a stadium at some point. P'cola is on track to get theirs done in 2084 (same year Robotrons take over the earth---according to my favorite video game when I was young).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 6:29 PM

Black Bears seem to love water. I remember when I lived in Gatlinburg how the cabin rental companies were always fielding calls from folk who had black bears pulling the lid off their hot tubs so as to get in.

I think doing anything w/ a live mascot would be a lot of trouble for very little gain re: a minor league baseball team.

I do think marketing in general is just an issue in Mobile. We have tons of activities available, but folks just don't know about most of them. I refer to the fact that Mobile already has a zoo, but it's almost completely unknown.

http://www.walkaboutcity.com/mobile/zoo/

Seriously... "Old West"??? This is pretty much THE prototypical Southern city and they put up an "Old West" town? Who was the genius who came up w/ that? This ain't the 50's anymore (thank God) & that kind of thing ain't popular anymore..... and who was possessed of the brilliance to put it in WILMER?!?!?! I understand the need to put a zoo in an area that's got plenty of room, but really?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:00 PM

Economy and the distance most people have to travel makes it harder to go to a minor league baseball game these days. Especially when they are a sub-par team this year, though only 8 games out of first.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogue View Post
..... and who was possessed of the brilliance to put it in WILMER?!?!?! I understand the need to put a zoo in an area that's got plenty of room, but really?
Isn't that the truth. It might as well be called "The Mississippi Zoo!"

We are lucky in Montgomery that Riverwalk Stadium (our Minor League Baseball Park) was built as part of a downtown revitalization effort. Our stadium sits adjacent to the Alabama River and has incorporated offices and a long wing from a former railroad depot into its design. It has a very nostalgic feel and really works well together.

Here are a couple of shots from the Montgomery Biscuit's web site www.biscuitsbaseball.com:

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:15 PM
Closed account

I was just checking out the real estate in the business district and I found this place. I would love to buy it.

http://www.dauphinrealty.com/Conception/listings.shtml

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:20 PM

Riverwalk Stadium is amazing for a AA stadium. Best one I have ever seen. You guys are really lucky.
For all of you in town this weekend try to make it out to the LODA International Beer Festival downtown. Most of the bars and restaurants downtown will have a beer or two that you may not be able to get all the time. You pay a fee for a ticket and then wonder around downtown tasting 70-something beers. I was pissed to find out we have to go to a wedding this weekend. Should be a really good time and an active night downtown. Tickets are available through downtown buisnesses, lagniappe, and several other places. Last year they sold out so go early.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Tim) View Post
I was just checking out the real estate in the business district and I found this place. I would love to buy it.

http://www.dauphinrealty.com/Conception/listings.shtml
Those are above the new home and garden store downtown whose name escapes me at the moment. My fiancee and I went in their at Artwalk and it was really nice. The downtown mobile alliance also provides real estate listings (some rentals too) on their site( http://www.downtownmobile.org/real_estate.php )

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 11:14 PM

^It's Parkside

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:29 PM
<- My idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimsjus View Post
Riverwalk Stadium is amazing for a AA stadium. Best one I have ever seen. You guys are really lucky.
For all of you in town this weekend try to make it out to the LODA International Beer Festival downtown. Most of the bars and restaurants downtown will have a beer or two that you may not be able to get all the time. You pay a fee for a ticket and then wonder around downtown tasting 70-something beers. I was pissed to find out we have to go to a wedding this weekend. Should be a really good time and an active night downtown. Tickets are available through downtown buisnesses, lagniappe, and several other places. Last year they sold out so go early.
Beerfest is one of the city's best event. Anyone on here that is old enough should go.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:59 PM
Closed account

I could handle a zoo, that would be nice to have in the business district.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 6:39 PM

I just went back and reviewed the development plan (linked a few pages back). Never realized there was quite that much land available on the northside of downtown. It's always seemed so much smaller when driving by.

Since this is the first time I really got to take my time and look it over: Here are a few things I like/concerns I have.

I particularly like the mixed office/retail focus on the north end of Water St. That seems like the best part of the whole scheme, IMO. The interior parking decks to support the parking for the structures are interesting as well, though I think it's worth pointing out that people hate to pay to park to visit a retail structure. Great long-term idea, IMO, but may be a while. I know we've beaten the horse to death on parks but the small square linking those two development blocks (replacing the post office) is also something I like. Partly b/c it also links them w/ a row of multi-family housing.

I completely dislike plan two's proposed use for the Civic Center property. I think putting a ton of new single-family housing would detract from gentrification efforts elsewhere in Midtown more than it would attract totally new residents. There are still plenty of houses that can be purchased relatively cheaply and renovated so as to preserve our architectural heritage.

Putting an entertainment district in Spanish Plaza so close to the current entertainment district around Dauphin seems also a bit overkill right now. There's no entertainment anchor in that area right now once you remove the Civic Center itself & it's kind of distant from the hotels.

I do think w/ all the tourists in the area that focusing on the Ft. Conde area may be worthwhile in the near-term & I really love the alternate version. That area already has access to a # of entertainment options and is convenient to the cruise terminal & downtown hotels. I love that they re-make the interstate on-ramps in that area in that plan as well. That loop interchange that has almost no merge lane right before you get into the tunnel is a road hazard. This plan also makes the cruise terminal part of downtown & brings attention to a neighborhood w/ some beautiful architecture. It also gives a larger potential for bringing in more young professionals by zoning for more condo units available close to downtown. It's ambitious, but has a much higher potential.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:56 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogue View Post
I do think w/ all the tourists in the area that focusing on the Ft. Conde area may be worthwhile in the near-term & I really love the alternate version. That area already has access to a # of entertainment options and is convenient to the cruise terminal & downtown hotels. I love that they re-make the interstate on-ramps in that area in that plan as well. That loop interchange that has almost no merge lane right before you get into the tunnel is a road hazard. This plan also makes the cruise terminal part of downtown & brings attention to a neighborhood w/ some beautiful architecture. It also gives a larger potential for bringing in more young professionals by zoning for more condo units available close to downtown. It's ambitious, but has a much higher potential.

You are absolutely right. In a strange way, I think it's reminiscent of what NOLA has with the French Quarter. Although nowhere near as expansive, it's the same general idea. People, tourists (or anyone who comes DT) wants to be surrounded in an atmosphere that is UNIQUE to that particular area and city. If you were having a random conversation with some one and they said Greenwhich (sp?) Village or the French Quarter, you'd know what they were talking about. Even though I'm sure there are several "French Quarters" and "GVillages..."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 6:16 PM

I think that would very much depend on architecture and activities that located in the area as to how it was perceived. If they stuck a bunch of generic structures up that look like the thousands of contemporary shopping centers popping up througout the Sunbelt then it wouldn't really have that... however, I think there are a few shopping center styles that might work beautifully in that area (since we're talking about retail and restaurants). A few of the buildings at The Summit in Birmingham w/ their Italianate ornamentation (the tiled roofs, stucco in varying shades, window and door decoration, domes, etc.) would mesh very well in a Gulf Coast setting. Sort of a continuation on a theme set by local landmarks like the GM&O & the Beehive. I think using that architectural style and complimenting it w/ a very lush tropical planting scheme w/ lots of flowering plants, climbing vines (perhaps bougainvillea or wisteria?), and tons of camellia's (an important flower in the city's history... time to bring back an emphasis there, IMO.) would be very attractive and play to the city's history. Do it in raised planters throughout the neighborhood in the areas that appear to be pedestrian-oriented. Flowering vine-covered arbors over the sidewalks would provide shade while still being a "different" take on the traditional awnings of many stores & would allow some outdoor seating at restaurants.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 7:43 PM

http://www.al.com/business/press-reg...650.xml&coll=3

Another potential $250mill investment in steel production in Mobile County. Mobile vs. Iowa for this one. Decision expected at end of this month. Keep the roll going Mobile!!

Last edited by Muskavon; Aug 23, 2008 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 1:03 AM

Did anyone make it to beerfest this weekend? Just curious how the crowd/event were with the ominous weather predictions that never came to pass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast