HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
The park fifth one is still active:
https://app.oxblue.com/open/macfarlane/437shill
That one's dissapointing because you can't see any other projects on it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:13 AM

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 6:03 AM

Question

Anybody else looking forward to the Hollywood destruction of what's currently completed/ under construction? Or am I the only psychotic one ? Its been a while since the last disaster flick, San Andreas ?, Now lets put the WG, Metropolis, Ocean wide and others to the test already ! Shake them, flood them, blow them up with aliens or tornados. Hell ill take Godzilla stomping around. GET IT DONE HOLLYWOOD !

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Anybody else looking forward to the Hollywood destruction of what's currently completed/ under construction? Or am I the only psychotic one ? Its been a while since the last disaster flick, San Andreas ?, Now lets put the WG, Metropolis, Ocean wide and others to the test already ! Shake them, flood them, blow them up with aliens or tornados. Hell ill take Godzilla stomping around. GET IT DONE HOLLYWOOD !
As long as it's not a future documentary about the "big one".
Hollywood got hit by "storm" Harvey, right?

I am so off-topic.. I have to mute myself.

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 7:03 PM

A social fashion startup called Cobird just leased the Million Dollar Theater and the adjacent shop spaces. I don't know what that means for the theater other than that they intend to "upgrade the theater and shops while honoring its historical integrity".

This makes me nervous. Can anyone get some more info here? Resident, maybe anyone on your Facebook group?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
A social fashion startup called Cobird just leased the Million Dollar Theater and the adjacent shop spaces. I don't know what that means for the theater other than that they intend to "upgrade the theater and shops while honoring its historical integrity".

This makes me nervous. Can anyone get some more info here? Resident, maybe anyone on your Facebook group?
source?
The million dollar theater is dead space tbh, sounds like good news to me if its reactivated

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
That one's dissapointing because you can't see any other projects on it.
Hope the Olympia towers (if it goes through) gets a cam. That will be a joy to watch.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 8:52 PM

Quote:
source?
The million dollar theater is dead space tbh, sounds like good news to me if its reactivated
CoStar article. Didn't link to it because you need a CoStar login to read it.

It's good if they reactivate it as a performance venue. Unequivocally terrible if they turn it into a retail space.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Hope the Olympia towers (if it goes through) gets a cam. That will be a joy to watch.
Olympia towers and 925 Fig are the two project I'm most excited to see break ground. Fingers crossed...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:35 AM

Quote:
CoStar article. Didn't link to it because you need a CoStar login to read it.

It's good if they reactivate it as a performance venue. Unequivocally terrible if they turn it into a retail space.
There's plenty of space for both.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
There's plenty of space for both.
No. Any alteration of one of LA's last and best gilded age theaters into a retail space is a travesty.

Is this theater not a designated a Historic-Cultural Monument? Hunter, Resident, blackcat, (Escott Norton if you're on here??) is there anything that can be done?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 11:15 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Nice 27-story tower planned to replace that ugly 3-story stucco horizontal skyscraper next to the Standard Oil Building. The single-story podium is a total waste of space, but this project could go a long way toward bridging the gap between the Financial District and South Park along another corridor besides Figueroa.

https://urbanize.la/post/forest-city...rand-hope-park

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
No. Any alteration of one of LA's last and best gilded age theaters into a retail space is a travesty.

Is this theater not a designated a Historic-Cultural Monument? Hunter, Resident, blackcat, (Escott Norton if you're on here??) is there anything that can be done?
Like I said on the Facebook page - Old timers in LA don't care because it isn't mid century, hipsters/DTLA urban enthusiasts don't care because it doesn't have a pair of painted wings or black ice cream involved.

No doubt it would be awful, but the group of us that care is so small. The Conservancy is the only group with enough power to stop something like that, and they don't go near theaters anymore because they believe the Historic Theater Foundation has things under control (not the case).

So we lost Rialto & Olympic to retail - OK, those were mostly gone already...

Now potentially Million Dollar. More than likely The Tower. Then Cameo, Roxie, Arcade will most certainly be retailed.

It just sucks. There is so much vacant retail & office space on Broadway, for the theaters to be butchered is a loss most won't realize for decades.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Like I said on the Facebook page - Old timers in LA don't care because it isn't mid century, hipsters/DTLA urban enthusiasts don't care because it doesn't have a pair of painted wings or black ice cream involved.

No doubt it would be awful, but the group of us that care is so small. The Conservancy is the only group with enough power to stop something like that, and they don't go near theaters anymore because they believe the Historic Theater Foundation has things under control (not the case).

Now potentially Million Dollar. More than likely The Tower. Then Cameo, Roxie, Arcade will most certainly be retailed.

It just sucks. There is so much vacant retail & office space on Broadway, for the theaters to be butchered is a loss most won't realize for decades.
After reading Escott's posts on the facebook page, I'm hopeful the Historic Theater Foundation can prevent damage from being done, even if the theater remains dramatically underutilized during Cobird's tenancy.

Anyone who doesn't see the importance of preserving these theaters needs to travel to NYC, Chicago, or London and see what a concentration of historic theaters can do for a city.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:

Thats true. The theatres can be used as performance spaces for shows and stand-up comedy or something. Symphonies, dance competitions, musical recitals, etc. Broadway needs more bars, maybe clubs if you really wanna activate the street.

Some of you may not like it because you wanna keep the charm of old Broadway and i have said this before, but Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego is a success story. Not only has the architecture been preserved but the streets are bustling with street activity every night. And because of flocks of people that come locally, out of state and internationally, the city decided to put more attention in developing and spending a lot of money in the area, like facade lighting and street banners. For those who have been there should know. There are nightclubs, restaurants, cafes, bars and lounges, galleries, shops, performance venues, hotels, offices, and residences all along the same district that activate the area.

Its like a mini and stubbier broadway district. Only thing we don't have that LA does is something like Grand Central Market or the Broadway Trade Center, which i think will do wonders for the area.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:

I agree with you. I would think more young people would be into the restoration of these old theaters, but maybe not. They're a different generation.

I'm a 47 year-old Gen-Xer; my friends and I totally were into these old movie theaters on Broadway even when we were in our teens and 20s. My friends and I would totally go downtown and walk around; it was fun also going with my friend's grandmother who remembered what stores were where, etc.

Before The Orpheum was full restored, I actually got to see a few old movies there on special nights. It's fun to watch old films like "Casablanca" and "Gone With the Wind" in old theaters like these, on screens that are in the proper aspect ratio (4:3, just like TV screens before even TVs became widescreen), instead of cropped at the top and bottom like some movie theaters would do with old movie re-releases. As an aside, my generation seems more open to watching black-and-white films than younger people. When I was a kid, I had no concept of what was old and new, and watching black-and-white movies/TV shows didn't faze me. Also, in the 1970s, growing up, my family had a big color TV and a little black-and-white TV, so sometimes my sister and I used to have to watch "Happy Days" in black-and-white while my dad watched the Dodgers or whatever in color on the big TV.

These old theaters could totally have old film revival series or something, and could be used as performance and conference spaces.

These Broadway theaters could totally be used for the LA Film Festival, too, if restored and modern projection equipment were installed.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Nice 27-story tower planned to replace that ugly 3-story stucco horizontal skyscraper next to the Standard Oil Building. The single-story podium is a total waste of space, but this project could go a long way toward bridging the gap between the Financial District and South Park along another corridor besides Figueroa.

https://urbanize.la/post/forest-city...rand-hope-park

Not ground breaking but THIS is what I have been waiting for, great infill. I actually used to live in the building next door on 9th. Now that the bigger parking lots are disappearing, smaller infill projects like this will start to rise which will help fill in the gaps and holes in the skyline. Another thing that's interesting. They plan on this thing being completed in 2020. We're already at the tail end of 2017. So this thing should be breaking ground next year? and it was barely proposed. We need more of THIS with great timelines attached to it. Not projects that are proposed today, get approved 2 years later and have a 4 year construction timeline. But its getting LEED certification. Can someone refresh my memory and others who I'm sure are scratching their heads on what that means again ? I mean I know it helps speed things along by why ? I forgot.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 5:28 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is a ratings system for environmental impact of buildings administered by the United States Green Building Council. It takes into account the measures taken to mitigate or save energy usage of the finished building, along with measures taken to reduce or mitigate environmental impacts during construction (like recycling building materials, use of "greener" building techniques, etc.).

It can be earned by new buildings or by existing buildings who make major renovations (like the Century Plaza Towers I work in), and once you score a LEED certification (Silver, Gold, Platinum), building owners and tenants have to continually maintain that certification through regular review.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Olympia towers and 925 Fig are the two project I'm most excited to see break ground. Fingers crossed...

The olympia proj is the most important since it will be seen by more ppl each day, driving by on the fwy.

However, the proj I'm most anxious to see break ground would be the apt tower proposed for 4th & Hill. That's cuz it's right above a red line station....so important for ppl using transit......& is near sites that are important to day trippers & tourists.

Angel's flight is across the street & grand central mkt is almost next door. The apt tower will also require the demolition of the eyesore known as Taco house #1.....that bldg & surrounding parking lots have dragged down that part of dtla for far too long.

The importance of the ridiculously long delayed grand ave proj from the related corp also goes without saying. The tinker toy parking structure where it will be located should have been flattened as long ago as what should have been done to taco house #1.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 12:10 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations