HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime View Post
yes, the southern route was to send a statement to the US that Canada had full intention of not lettimng the US expand north.

The connection the Klondike is vastly over estimated.

I would imagine that Edmonton being thge larger center up until the arrival of the RR was due to trading. The surrounding forest could support a much higher denisty of trapping thus you needed more support services. As a new settler from Europe given a plot of land it would make more sense to go to an area where more services existed, thus continueing the cycle. ....Just my theory.
Wasn't the 'old' Fort Edmonton used by fur trappers destroyed and located a considerable distance away?

I thought the 'new' Edmonton was more or less the same age as Calgary and built from scratch at that time, where-as Calgary had a very small but still existant fur trapper population base because it had not been destroyed? Maybe i am accelerating my timelines?

Claeren.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Historian Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-71).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton