HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:37 AM

CHICAGO | 375 East Wacker (Arquitectonica Tower) | 840 FT / 256 M | 76 FLOORS | PRO

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-utl

INSIDE COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Unique opening planned for Lakeshore East mixed-use building

BY SUSAN DIESENHOUSE
Published May 9, 2007

A $400-million, 76-story mixed-use tower is being planned for Lakeshore East by Magellan Development LLC.

The striking design by Miami-based Arquitectonica features a 20-story opening through the building's midsection. The tower, which will rise at 375 E. Wacker Dr., has two intersecting components programmed to house a five-star hotel with 224 suites, as many as 671 condominiums and six stories of underground parking.

The sale of condominiums, priced from $500,000 to about $3 million, will start in August. By mid-2008, construction will get under way. The first residents are expected to move in two years later, said Jim Loewenberg, co-chief executive of Magellan.

So far at Lakeshore East, seven buildings with about 2,500 residential units have been built or are in construction. In total, the developer might put up 16 major buildings with about 5,000 units, Loewenberg said.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Dec 15, 2008 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-utl

INSIDE COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Unique opening planned for Lakeshore East mixed-use building

BY SUSAN DIESENHOUSE
Published May 9, 2007

A $400-million, 76-story mixed-use tower is being planned for Lakeshore East by Magellan Development LLC.

The striking design by Miami-based Arquitectonica features a 20-story opening through the building's midsection. The tower, which will rise at 375 E. Wacker Dr., has two intersecting components programmed to house a five-star hotel with 224 suites, as many as 671 condominiums and six stories of underground parking.

The sale of condominiums, priced from $500,000 to about $3 million, will start in August. By mid-2008, construction will get under way. The first residents are expected to move in two years later, said Jim Loewenberg, co-chief executive of Magellan.

So far at Lakeshore East, seven buildings with about 2,500 residential units have been built or are in construction. In total, the developer might put up 16 major buildings with about 5,000 units, Loewenberg said.
That could look amazing or it could look horrible. But it will certainly be interesting. Can't wait to see the design. Magellan must know now after the huge success of Aqua that unique designs sell great.

Last edited by Kngkyle; May 9, 2007 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:10 AM

There is a small rendering in Tribune. I don't think it will be in the range of 1000 feet but more like 900. No spire was attached. 20-floor opening is an interesting feature because it looks like a keyhole.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 12:02 PM
Registered

Hmmm... glad it's a reality; too bad it's not quite as wonderful as some of us had hoped it would be. Oh well, now it's time to consider the actual design - much more important than a few hundred feet.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 1:34 PM
you know where I'll be

Ok - it's a small rendering, but I like it! Although I'm a little disappointed with the height (to me it definitely looks to be under 900'), I'll take a design I like with less height than a lesser design that stretches to some arbitrary number in the sky. Thumbs up here...

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:47 PM

i saw the trib article but couldn't find the rendering... i'm hoping it looks as good as i want it to, although i'm kinda bummed it's not going to crack the 1000-foot mark.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:55 PM
tilted & shifted

I scanned it as a .pdf, but I can't link the .pdf, so I put it on Yousendit.com. Can someone then find a way to post a shot of it?

http://download.yousendit.com/7D2368192E5F7794

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I scanned it as a .pdf, but I can't link the .pdf, so I put it on Yousendit.com. Can someone then find a way to post a shot of it?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post

Thanks! It is striking and will be very cool indeed. However, I was kinda hoping that the "opening" was going to be the arched keyhole at ground level that served as an entrance of sorts into Lakeshore East.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle2 View Post
Is that the Tides in the background to the right?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

thanks for scanning hydrogen

EDIT:

ah, you beat me to it kngkyle2

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:09 PM

Can't tell too much from that picture. What's the story with the Trib being the sole source in the universe for renderings of this project?

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

would someone from emporis please create a building entry for this proposal so that i can get it added to the boom rundown? thanks in advance.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:27 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
Is that the Tides in the background to the right?
Yes. So that would mean this is the southern face of this building.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:29 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ nah, i'm pretty sure we're looking at the northern face. if we were looking at the southern face, then that would mean that the arquitectonica building is south of the tides, which is impossible, as the park is south of the tides. the arquitectonica tower will be north of the tides along the river.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:31 PM

Yeah. . . it looks like the north face. . . I wonder what the price range is going to be for units here. . . this project is far out enough that I'd put money down on a unit just to flip it. . .

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
I wonder what the price range is going to be for units here. . . this project is far out enough that I'd put money down on a unit just to flip it. . .
according to the initial article..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:50 PM

Thanks. . . I guess I'll shut up and get back to work now

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:59 PM

Added bu>299071 to Emporis database. . . we'll probably need to clean up the LSE information related to the buildings planned along East Wacker Drive that are being replaced by this super-structure. . .

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:03 PM

Here's another scan that hopefully shows a little more detail...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive