HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 11:38 PM

South False Creek Seawall Improvements – Stamps Landing Redesign Neighbourhood Chats

Google Earth - https://www.google.com/earth/desktop/

Quote:
Stamps Landing Redesign Consultation Marred by Suspected Counterfeit Reporter

South False Creek Seawall Improvements – Stamps Landing Neighbourhood Chats
During the South False Creek Community Workshops, we heard several reoccurring themes, like the neighbourhood’s ageing population needs more seniors housing, or that the community feels isolated from our Metro Core. A common transportation concern was that the seawall feels like a bicycle highway; if that is true, then Stamps Landing is the equivalent of a four way stop on the Trans-Canada Highway....

...Finally, it seems city engineers have come up with a very safe, workable solution, and held “neighbourhood chats” at the nearby Convivial Café and Bakery in Leg-in-Boot Square to hear the community’s thoughts. Unfortunately, a lot of that time was taken up by complaints about larger issues. Some felt that more healthcare workers would be needed to look after the ageing population so there should more parking for them, yet others complained about the noise visitors bring to the neighbourhood.

Anger was also directed at local businesses, as some neighbours complained garbage pick-up at 8 am was too noisy, and so were the employees when they got off work at night. Acknowledging these concerns, city staff revealed that, although rain protection over the future bike racks is being considered, there was no plan to add benches or any type of space which could encourage people to gather. That said, a couple voices expressed these things were simply a part of urban living...
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2018/1...feit-reporter/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2018, 11:28 PM

The Richards St. bike lane will become 2-way and moved to the east side of the street:

https://vancouver.ca/files/cov/richa...ign-boards.pdf

Through traffic will have 1 lane except during evening rush-hour when curb parking will be banned.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 12:58 AM

New Pedestrian and Cyclist overpass at Stewartson Way

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2018TRAN0206-002327

Source BC Government

There used to be a crosswalk here back in 2006

Last edited by tybuilding; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:45 AM. Reason: Added picture

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 10:46 AM

Heh, at least there's one crossing in the Metro that's getting grade separation.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 8:47 PM

Proposed Surrey Active Transportation Cuts

https://www.surreynowleader.com/news...-complex-more/

Quote:
... The budget proposed to eliminate a planned one per cent increase to this road and traffic levy. If approved this move will “reduce the City’s repaving program, bike and sidewalk program, and land acquisition program by approximately $60 million over five years.”

The city’s Finance Committee is set to review the plan on Dec. 11. ...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:39 AM

i cant remember, has this been posted before? it is a good idea i think.

BC Hydro Grandview Cut Cycling Bridge

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i cant remember, has this been posted before? it is a good idea i think.

BC Hydro Grandview Cut Cycling Bridge

What the ever-living hell...

Speaking as cyclist, that's just embarrassing. Who thinks that cyclists are to princess-y to use that bridge that's only, what, a freaking block away! The bridge that I use, and often.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Speaking as cyclist, that's just embarrassing. Who thinks that cyclists are to princess-y to use that bridge that's only, what, a freaking block away! The bridge that I use, and often.
Yeah, the bridge doesn't seem all that useful for cyclists, although I think that pedestrians who come from nearby houses might find it convenient. That having been said, if they're going to have to build a structure across the cut to carry the transmission line anyway, then I think incorporating a pedestrian and cycling path is the right thing to do.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Yeah, the bridge doesn't seem all that useful for cyclists, although I think that pedestrians who come from nearby houses might find it convenient. That having been said, if they're going to have to build a structure across the cut to carry the transmission line anyway, then I think incorporating a pedestrian and cycling path is the right thing to do.
This. It's probably cheaper than doing it underground in this area, and a "transmission only" bridge would look ugly, and not save much money.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
This. It's probably cheaper than doing it underground in this area, and a "transmission only" bridge would look ugly, and not save much money.
they realistically would have problems going down and back up the cut. those transmission lines are like 8" thick and solid lines; they don't bend easy and they need nice gradual turns to be able to get pulled through the duct.

i doubt the bridge costs much more, if at all, since the transmission line is quite heavy and would need to be earthquake resistant anyways.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 3:03 AM

Seymour River Suspension Bridge officially opens in North Vancouver

This 75 metre long suspension bridge just opened in Metro Vancouver
Photograph By phoenix45photo / Instagram
https://www.vancourier.com/news/seym...ver-1.23555129

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 1:07 AM

Its back! The Granville Bridge median pedestrian / bikeway is now wider at 4 lanes.

City of Vancouver pushing forward with Granville Bridge bike lanes and walking path
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gran...h-january-2019

Old rendering showing it using 2 lanes:

City Report:
https://council.vancouver.ca/2019013...ents/pspc2.pdf

A 2012 RFP for the Granville Bridge Rehabilitation had some "concept" drawings for the old 2 lane proposal showing connections at the ends and some impacts:

https://bids.vancouver.ca/bidopp/RFP...758-SF-RFP.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 3:51 AM

This is a joke, right? They aren't removing the crosswalks on the on/off ramps??

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Its back! The Granville Bridge median pedestrian / bikeway is now wider at 4 lanes.

City of Vancouver pushing forward with Granville Bridge bike lanes and walking path

Old rendering showing it using 2 lanes:

That is an absolutely deceitful rendering. No way in HELL does that rendering only take up the width of two lanes, one from each direction.

It's that sort of BS that instantly puts me in the HELL NO category. I don't like being BS'd by activists.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
That is an absolutely deceitful rendering. No way in HELL does that rendering only take up the width of two lanes, one from each direction.

It's that sort of BS that instantly puts me in the HELL NO category. I don't like being BS'd by activists.
They probably removed the existing narrow sidewalks, so that would provide extra space.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 12:35 PM

From the city report:
Quote:
Preliminary analysis shows that the existing traffic could be accommodated by two lanes in either direction, however further analysis is underway.
https://council.vancouver.ca/2019013...ents/pspc2.pdf

That is the only sentence referencing the number of lanes in the report.
I interpret that to be the same as from previous reports and the above plans and renderings. Two thru lanes of Granville Street plus the third add/drop lane.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 4:09 PM

What about the loops on the North End? Would those go at the same time?

I'm not sure on the traffic requirements. We don't need 8 lanes, we might not need 6 lanes...

Also better have a direct connection down to Granville Island if we are spending all of this money.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 4:34 PM

Who the hell wants to walk down the middle of the bridge with busses and trucks whizzing by on either side? They already screwed up Burrard Bridge with unsightly jumpers fence and now this?!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Who the hell wants to walk down the middle of the bridge with busses and trucks whizzing by on either side? They already screwed up Burrard Bridge with unsightly jumpers fence and now this?!
No sh!t. That hasn't stopped them from creating a BS rendering with children, facepainting, balloons, bunnies and butterflies. Well, almost all of those things. Don't BS me and pretend this will be like a playground.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
What about the loops on the North End? Would those go at the same time?

I'm not sure on the traffic requirements. We don't need 8 lanes, we might not need 6 lanes...

Also better have a direct connection down to Granville Island if we are spending all of this money.
The loops would go as well.

I'm not sure there's space to build another bridge, on either side. Unless you could build it on the underside of Granville Bridge.

Quote:
No sh!t. That hasn't stopped them from creating a BS rendering with children, facepainting, balloons, bunnies and butterflies. Well, almost all of those things. Don't BS me and pretend this will be like a playground.
Anything is better than the current state for pedestrians.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure