HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 9:29 PM
ハルウララ

Tolls on Route 11 would be particularly fruitless as travelers could simply bypass them by using the currently existing Route 126 as they already do. Route 126 has roughly half the traffic that Route 11 has north of Bouctouche.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 10:02 PM

I agree tolls would not work, I was just wondering if the idea would be floated around again. everyone, myself included would use 134 or 115 from Bouctouche To Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 2:41 AM

They would have had the money to have route 11 finished by now had they done the Fredericton highway correctly. Should have been routed from Sussex to Cambridge Narrows and connected to what was then the existing 4 lane stretch before the Bridges that cross the Saint John river.
In terms of what should be done, I think highway 15 needs to be twinned from Shediac to Cap-Pele. Highway 11 should be twinned to Buctouche, I think the Miramichi bypass is needed as it's only 2 lanes. They should also probably extend the two lane limited access highway to Buctouche simply for safety purposes if nothing else. Honestly though, the days of big expansive highway projects I the province are probably done.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 4:05 PM

Did anyone hear/read about the new service they are going to be giving for a small fee of 40$? The Confederation Bridge will have a 40$ fee if you want to have a members of The Bridge Authority drive your vehicle across the bridge for you (excludes the toll).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Did anyone hear/read about the new service they are going to be giving for a small fee of 40$? The Confederation Bridge will have a 40$ fee if you want to have a members of The Bridge Authority drive your vehicle across the bridge for you (excludes the toll).
It isn't a new service, but the $40 fee is new...

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/lo...on-bridge.html

Other fees

Transport Canada also approved other fees for various services offered for bridge users.

Customers will be charged a $40 “apprehensive driver” fee if they require bridge personnel to drive their vehicles across the Northumberland Strait. SCBL says an increase in the number of apprehensive drivers has impacted personnel who are otherwise tasked with bridge operations.

Running out of gas while crossing the bridge will now cost travellers $100. SCBL says running out of gas causes a significant safety risk, and remind drivers to fill up before making the crossing.

Transport Canada also approved a fee of $200 for wide-load lane closures to compensate for the 30-minute interruptions to regular traffic flow.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
It isn't a new service, but the $40 fee is new...

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/lo...on-bridge.html

Other fees

Transport Canada also approved other fees for various services offered for bridge users.

Customers will be charged a $40 “apprehensive driver” fee if they require bridge personnel to drive their vehicles across the Northumberland Strait. SCBL says an increase in the number of apprehensive drivers has impacted personnel who are otherwise tasked with bridge operations.

Running out of gas while crossing the bridge will now cost travellers $100. SCBL says running out of gas causes a significant safety risk, and remind drivers to fill up before making the crossing.

Transport Canada also approved a fee of $200 for wide-load lane closures to compensate for the 30-minute interruptions to regular traffic flow.
Few things. It's confusing because everywhere I've seen it it was written up as a New service all together. I knew about the price hike for stalling on the bridge thought it was already in affect, and as for the 200$ fee to block the lanes for oversize loads because it is a 30 Minute delay for other drivers since you really can't pass. Din't know it was approved.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 6:34 PM

Route 11

I guess we'll know more on Route 11 tomorrow :

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...ndredi/?pgnc=1

Basicly, they say that there will be 2 annoucements tomorrow, one in Bouctouche and one in Miramichi regarding upcoming work on Route 11 funded by provincial and federal gvnmt.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emad View Post
I guess we'll know more on Route 11 tomorrow :

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actual...ndredi/?pgnc=1

Basicly, they say that there will be 2 annoucements tomorrow, one in Bouctouche and one in Miramichi regarding upcoming work on Route 11 funded by provincial and federal gvnmt.
Ottawa et Fredericton annonceront 273 M$ pour la Route 11

PUBLIÉ IL Y A 13 MINUTES | Mis à jour il y a 11 minutes

Le gouvernement provincial a convié les médias en matinée pour deux annonces « importantes ». L’une à Bouctouche et l’autre à Miramichi. Des sources ont confirmé à Radio-Canada que la province et le fédéral injecteront au total 273 millions de dollars pour que la Route 11 soit doublée à quatre voies sur une distance de 20,6 km jusqu'au sud de la rivière de Bouctouche. Une voie d'évitement dans la région de Miramichi sera également construite.

Le premier ministre, Brian Gallant; le ministre des Transports et de l’Infrastructure, Bill Fraser; et le ministre fédéral des Pêches, des Océans et de La Garde côtière canadienne, Dominic LeBlanc, seront présents.

L’élargissement de la Route 11 est un sujet chaud au Nouveau-Brunswick depuis des décennies. Plusieurs gouvernements ont promis de l’élargir de Shediac jusqu’au nord de la province.

Le gouvernement progressiste-conservateur de Bernard Lord avait promis d'élargir la route à quatre voies sur 120 km. Les libéraux de Shawn Graham aussi.

En juillet 2015, la province avait annoncé des travaux allant jusqu’à 46,2 millions de dollars sur trois ans. Le gouvernement fédéral avait pour sa part annoncé un financement pouvant aller jusqu’à 27 millions de dollars.

En campagne électorale, tant les libéraux provinciaux de Brian Gallant que le Parti libéral du Canada ont promis un important projet d’infrastructure pour cette artère importante pour le développement économique du nord de la province.

En 2015, un rapport gouvernemental avançait que l'achalandage à certains endroits le long de la route est insuffisant pour justifier l'élargissement.

Même le plan du gouvernement progressiste-conservateur de David Alward de doubler la voie seulement de Shediac à Bouctouche, adopté par les libéraux de Brian Gallant, a été remis en question dans ce rapport.

Selon les études, la circulation dans les environs de Bouctouche s'élève à 7130 véhicules par jour, alors que le nombre nécessaire pour justifier une route à quatre voies est établi à 8000, selon les politiques du gouvernement.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...ur-la-route-11

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 11:41 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Le gouvernement provincial a convié les médias en matinée pour deux annonces « importantes ». L’une à Bouctouche et l’autre à Miramichi. Des sources ont confirmé à Radio-Canada que la province et le fédéral injecteront au total 273 millions de dollars pour que la Route 11 soit doublée à quatre voies sur une distance de 20,6 km jusqu'au sud de la rivière de Bouctouche. Une voie d'évitement dans la région de Miramichi sera également construite.
Perfectly reasonable IMO.

Quote:
En 2015, un rapport gouvernemental avançait que l'achalandage à certains endroits le long de la route est insuffisant pour justifier l'élargissement.
The section between Bouctouche and Miramichi certainly doesn't have the traffic numbers to warrant twinning.

Quote:
Selon les études, la circulation dans les environs de Bouctouche s'élève à 7130 véhicules par jour, alors que le nombre nécessaire pour justifier une route à quatre voies est établi à 8000, selon les politiques du gouvernement.
The section between Bouctouche and Shediac has been showing positive trending the past 6-10 years. It's likely with an increase in population in Southern Kent County that doubling Route 11 to Bouctouche is reasonable.

I was always under the impression that twinning required 10,000 and the investigation for twinning was triggered at 8,000, so this is interesting.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I agree that only the Shediac/Bouctouche segment justifies twinning, but if were up to me, I would have continued the divided highway to just beyond Bouctouche rather than terminating the twinned segment south of the Bouctouche River.

I suppose they will save $10-12M by adopting this strategy though (no bridge needed over the river, and no reconstructed interchange at Bouctouche)

I wonder what the construction timetable will be? My son currently commutes from Moncton to Bouctouche for work. I will be a lot happier once this dangerous road is divided..........

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 10:19 AM

the bridge at Cocagne is a bit bigger than the one at Shediac Bridge and that on will take a while to build. I HOPE THEY don't wait for those bridges to be complete before building the roadbed to the Mckees Mills St. Thomas exit

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree that only the Shediac/Bouctouche segment justifies twinning, but if were up to me, I would have continued the divided highway to just beyond Bouctouche rather than terminating the twinned segment south of the Bouctouche River.

I suppose they will save $10-12M by adopting this strategy though (no bridge needed over the river, and no reconstructed interchange at Bouctouche)

I wonder what the construction timetable will be? My son currently commutes from Moncton to Bouctouche for work. I will be a lot happier once this dangerous road is divided..........
While this is a great announcement, I'm a bit disappointed the twinning isn't extending a bit further. $273 million is a lot for 20km of highway, so I assume the rest of the highway will come with significant upgrades. I would assume they are going to proceed with a new portion of highway into Miramichi. In the past there was also discussion of making this double lane highway instead of just single lane. While I believe they will proceed with single lane it will be interesting to see what they plan. I will however stick to my stance that adding passing lanes will not do much to improve safety. There also hasn't been discussion of moose fencing. Highway 11 requires fencing and this could go miles in improving safety.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 1:29 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Seems like a lot of money, but there are three reasonably long bridges in there. Compare that to the cost of the new bridge in Moncton and it isn't all that unreasonable.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 2:41 PM

Yeah, and in 2017 road building are very high, it's just something we have to get used to.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the link to the CBC news story on this twinning project for NB Highway 11
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ades-1.3934023

- Work will begin this year with completion set for late 2021.
- The termination of the divided segment will be just south of the Little Bouctouche River, which would be about 4 km south of Bouctouche itself. I imagine they chose this as the end point because there would be two bridges required to get to Bouctouche proper (over the Little Bouctouche & Bouctouche Rivers), as well as interchange upgrades into the town of Bouctouche. This would have added tens of millions of dollars to the cost of the project.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:40 PM

I found this older PDF of the then proposed Glenwood-Miramichi Bypass.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:16 PM

Here's an image posted by Radio-Canada of route 11 which shows the section they are planning on widening. As MonctonRad mentioned, the upgraded section will end just south of the Little Bouctouche river.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 6:10 PM

Jonathan MacInnis ‏@macinnisCTV · 4 hours ago

$273M project includes an 11km, two lane bypass between #Glenwood & #Miramichi. @CTVAtlantic

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 8:50 PM

Dawn Arnold posted this on her Facebook page yesterday and I was wondering if anyone had any more information on this meeting?

Quote:
Just met with Yves Desjardins-Siciliano, President and CEO of via rail Canada to hear about some exciting future plans for rail travel in our community. / I just met with Yves Desjardins-Siciliano President and chief executive officer at the via rail Canada... some interesting plans for the rail service in our community.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 8:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I saw that too.

No, I don't have any updated information, but I assume it has to do with VIA's plan to reinstitute daily intercity service between Moncton and Halifax, and Moncton and Campbellton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces