HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileLSUboy2005 View Post
so i got bored reading the same thing over and over on the Mobile forum, so i decided to check Montgomery's, and thats the first i've heard of that RSA Jucial Bldg. Is it still going to be as ugly as depicted in the renderings?! No one could stop them? RSA has given us down in Mobile our beautiful new tower, and revamped 2 hotels, and they leave you guys with that crap! I'd be fighting a bigger fight!

just my two cents haha

No, it's not an ugly building and it will be likely one of national attention because of its design. RSA continues to make huge investments in bringing class A office space, parks, conventions, concerts, and hotels downtown and has plans for more in the future. (BTW, many people forget the fact that RSA provided the financing that brought the Embassy Suites downtown waaay back in the Folmar years, and the reason the roof was painted green was because the developer (John Hammons) wanted it to be...as a compliment to RSA.)

Because the tallest is not in his HQ city doesn't mean he's slighted it or doesn't favor it. That's ludicrous.

Just as Donald Trump hasn't slighted New York City.
His investments have had more of an impact in New York City (his base) than anywhere else he's invested, although the tallest is in Chicago. (will be.)

Just as David Bronner hasn't slighted Montgomery.
His investments have had more of an impact in Montgomery (his base) than anywhere else he's invested, although the tallest is in Mobile.

That's just the way it is...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by | BRAVO | View Post
That is an interesting statement for somebody from Mobile.

BTW... I was in downtown Montgomery yesterday and it is looking good. I took some pics and will share them soon. Boomer T's was delicious too.
Cool. Can't wait to see 'em!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiijakd View Post
dang...why'd everyone get so defensive with LSU boy? i think he was just making light of our crappy situation with the judicial building and the 800 pound gorilla. you guys are right about all the comments to address RSA as far as their economic impact, can you imagine what that same investment would have done if it was all smart street friendly investment like the Renaissance?
by the way, i am trying to finish up 24 s. perry by the end of september and i am working on drawings for the others right now. i'll put up a rendering on a banner very soon.
hiijakd! We hadn't heard from you in a while.
We thought you and thoraudio had pulled a "Chad" on us.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 4:59 AM

nope..went to church camp to counsel for a week then came back and had to get my site all back on track since i was out in the boonies with no cell service or internet. i'm back though....and lurking

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 6:46 PM
Geaux Tigers!

good lord! you Montgomery folks are SO touchy/sensitive! My point was that I think that the RSA building ruins the view of Dexter Ave, and they should have done a better job at making it either fit in to the scenery, or move it to a different location. Yea, RSA's given us plenty other stuff in Mobile too (such as several hotels, and also the RTJ Golf Course that is just as great as yours... but I was only referring to downtown developments, and I really wasn't bashing RSA themselves; without them, Alabama would be lacking greatly, and I know they've done great things for Montgomery. My point was that instead of ruining our downtown skyline/scenery in Mobile, they have greatly enhanced it, and I think they should have put in the same effort for you guys. And I obviously was not the only one who felt that way, since I first heard about all of the uproar about it from this thread and your news stations!

Yes, the Boeing crap got old quick, but I think its calmed down a bit for now, until today when Boeing released a completely false advertisement about their bid(see the Press-Register for that...)

There is a LOT going on in Mobile, but I've already heard all of it, and since I don't live there full-time, I only want to hear big news instead of all the small things going on, too. I live in Baton Rouge most of the time.

To my personal stabs: just because my screen name says 'boy' does not imply that I am either a) too young to have an opinion, or b) don't know what I'm talking about.

Brown Duckz: you just need to calm down or take a xanax or something there buddy! but don't worry, you probably scared me off from writing on your apparently "exclusive club" of a forum! Sorry for taking an interest my state's capital!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 7:50 PM

Quote:

Brown Duckz: you just need to calm down or take a xanax or something there buddy! but don't worry, you probably scared me off from writing on your apparently "exclusive club" of a forum! Sorry for taking an interest my state's capital!
You don't have to let one person run you off.

...don't pull a "Chad".

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1 View Post
You don't have to let one person run you off.

...don't pull a "Chad".
Old Chinese proverb says "A BOY is more easily ran off than a MAN..."

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Boeing crap got old quick, but I think its calmed down a bit for now, until today when Boeing released a completely false advertisement about their bid(see the Press-Register for that...)
FALSE AD??? It cannot be false because it was in print and then it was discussed on the internet... so, it must be true!
Too bad Boeing was not going to build this in Mobile. I think every American (Citizens, Senators, Congressmen, etc.) would be behind it if it had been them...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 10:53 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
My point was that instead of ruining our downtown skyline/scenery in Mobile, they have greatly enhanced it, and I think they should have put in the same effort for you guys.
With this point you are implying that RSA has ruined Montgomery's Downtown scenery/skyline. You are making this asinine assumption based off one building that is in rendering stage, and not even being constructed YET. I don't need a Xanax as much as you need to research into your next point made in this thread.

Good day.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:03 AM
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
With this point you are implying that RSA has ruined Montgomery's Downtown scenery/skyline. You are making this asinine assumption based off one building that is in rendering stage, and not even being constructed YET. I don't need a Xanax as much as you need to research into your next point made in this thread.

Good day.
okay mr. wonka,

all of that is my own opinion, and if you don't like it, fine, you don't have to. Last I checked free speech was still (somewhat) legal.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 10:04 AM

I like the first one... hate the 2nd (I detest that style of architecture outside of Europe or New England) and don't really care for the 3rd (doesn't seem to fit w/ the other buildings in the rendering... assuming, of course, that those are buildings similar to what is already there... too contemporary in design is I guess what I'm saying, though that might just be the rendering). Somehow it just looks "right" for a state building of size to be in that Greek Revival-type style.

...at least it's not some mod monstrosity with "sails".

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 1:49 PM

duckz...relax
lsu boy...welcome to the montgomery forum, i appreciate your input and totally understand what you are saying about RSA, i hate the tower and i am not a fan of the judicial building in that site either.

bogue..the city hasn't released the rendering that actually looks the best. t is a greek revival style similar to the capital but it has a truncated dome to keep in scale a little better with that end of dexter. the historic buildings on that end of the street are all 3 stories and under until you get to the regions building, so a shorter building would be better. the red brick rendering was meant to be similar to samford hall at auburn to please the board member that is also on the board at auburn.

hopefully this project will go forward. unfortunately Bronner doesn't support moving it the the other end of Dexter. His plan, and it isn't a good one, would be to close off union street behind the capital and build across. we all know what happens when you close a street though.....destruction of street life...downfall of surrounding properties....perception that downtown is difficult to navigate...frustration for drivers....so they quit coming downtown.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:13 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Relax? Is everyone missing this guy's stupidity?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:19 PM
Midtown Montgomery

Some residential development on the Westside.

Some residential development on the Westside.

Quote:
New subdivision set for west side
By Jill Nolin • July 26, 2008

The city of Montgomery is planning to build a residential development on the west side, a market that has been stagnant since the exodus to east Mont­gomery started years ago.

The project marks the first time the city has played a domi­nant role in an affordable hous­ing development, and city plan­ners believe they can revitalize the area and make it attractive to private investors.

"I think it has the potential to make all the difference," said Ken Groves, the city's director of planning. "In this case, we're dealing with an old urban neigh­borhood that has been in the process of abandonment and is wishing to turn itself around."

The city plans to build the homes with federal grant money and then turn the project over to private entities once the city finds homeowners.

"We are in effect taking a risk for the private institutions. As soon as we can show that it works, they'll want to jump back in," Groves said.

While the city commonly aids nonprofit organizations that specialize in creating low-to-moderate income housing, it never has done so on its own.

"I think if we work at it hard enough and stick to it, we can show Montgomery how it can be," Groves said to the Planning Commission on Thursday.

The commission signed off on the development plan for the project, which is called Lanier Place. It will be built in three phases and will be located at the site of the former Lanier Court apartment buildings, which de­teriorated so badly they eventu­ally were torn down.

The first phase will include 19 patio-garden homes on Liberty Street, which is being extended to intersect the newly renamed E.D. Nixon Avenue, formerly Goode Street. The homes will have a traditional design.

Groves said he sees the initial phase as a demonstration that will show the private sector that is it possible to build, sell and even turn a profit in west Mont­gomery.

"Who knows -- in five to 10 years, west Montgomery might be the place to be," Groves said to the commission.

The city purchased the prop­erty, about eight acres of land just north of West Fairview Ave­nue, for $325,000 about two years ago, according to Groves. Grant money was used to purchase the land.

The target audience for the venture is young families and first-time homebuyers who are looking for low-to-moderately priced housing.

Private financing primarily will be used to purchase the homes, but Groves estimated that grant money is available to cover as much as 20 percent of the cost for those who need as­sistance.

This is also the first time that the city has concentrated efforts in one area. The city has operat­ed a first-time home ownership program for six years, but the homes are scattered throughout Montgomery.

The city has helped 215 fami­lies own homes for the first time, and only two of those pur­chases have ended in foreclo­sure. Also, 1,150 people have participated in the city's home ownership training program, which will be required of the residents who choose to live in Lanier Place.

Groves said that more home­owners in a neighborhood in­creases the likelihood of im­proving the overall quality of the area.

Groves said the city also is re­sponding to another need. With fuel costs increasing, more peo­ple are likely to look for housing closer to where they work. Lan­ier Place will have ready access to public transportation.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:05 PM

As far as I am concerned, all are welcome at this site. Particularly non-residents who bring a totally different perspective to the discussion about our fair city. Even Chad is welcome.

As far as the new State House....I am told that Dr. Bronner is coming around to the idea of moving it to lower Dexter Avenue. Hope springs eternal.

Y'all have a good day.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I hear what you are saying... but this is a place where everyone's views can at least be heard. I did not agree with him, but I tried to keep my reposnses sorta good-hearted.

I like reading (and occasionally commenting) on other forums and I welcome some fresh eyes and ideas on ours.

Lets all share the Xanax and have a beer together.
Hell, he spends time in Baton Rouge, so he could probably show us a good time!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Heights View Post
As far as the new State House....I am told that Dr. Bronner is coming around to the idea of moving it to lower Dexter Avenue.

Wow! Can this be true? Lets all keep our fingers crossed. I know funding is extremely tight right now and this idea is not very popluar with the general public, but if Bronner and RSA got behind this ($$$) who knows.

Stay tuned...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Come on, Brown Duckz, it ain't that serious dude. It's all good.

BTW, just to clarify something for those from other forums: Were talking about two separate buildings on Dexter Ave.
Upper Dexter: RSA Judicial Building - under construction - $49M
Lower Dexter: Alabama State House - proposal only (city) - $300-325M?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 8:39 PM

Here's one itty bitty rendering of the judicial building from RSA's website:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 8:40 PM
Midtown Montgomery

How is Bronner pulling off the RSA JB with only $49mil spent? That's not like him at all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast