HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
All I can say is that I refuse to call the university anything but the University of Western Ontario. I graduated from the University of Western Ontario, and I'll die by that.

Media outlets such as the London Free Press shouldn't embrace these kinds of changes. They should persist with the old name in protest.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 3:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Last I heard, it is now just the "Press". The powers that be deemed "London" and "Free" to be "geographically constrained" and "downright misleading", respectively.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 8:55 PM
User Registered

Jimmy Kimmel makes fun of UWO's egg yolk study

Video Link

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
All I can say is that I refuse to call the university anything but the University of Western Ontario. I graduated from the University of Western Ontario, and I'll die by that.

Media outlets such as the London Free Press shouldn't embrace these kinds of changes. They should persist with the old name in protest.
Ditto. I graduated from the same university. I still think that the name 'Western University' could belong to any university anywhere in the world. But University of Western Ontario is a name with an indisputable provenance, and is far more immediately recognizable.

The London Free Press isn't much of a newspaper. It goes any way the wind blows, especially if certain factions want it to go in a given direction.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 2:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

My office was next to this guy for 2 years.

Quote:
Controversial prof Philippe Rushton dead

By John Miner, The London Free Press

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:53:46 EDT P
The mild-mannered Western psychologist became the focus of international attention in the late 1980s for his controversial research on differences between racial groups based on brain and penis size. At the peak of the firestorm, students took to the streets to protest his views, the OPP launched an investigation, and Ontario’s premier called for his firing. Western, though, stood behind him, citing academic freedom.

- - -

The Western psychology professor whose controversial work on racial differences triggered international outrage and sparked a heated debate over academic freedom at universities has died.

Philippe Rushton, 69, died of cancer at Victoria Hospital.

Rushton became focus of intense media attention in the late 1980s for his research on differences between racial groups based on brain and penis size, with East Asians scoring high and blacks lower for intelligence and sexual restraint. Whites scored in the middle.

He also concluded genetic factors made blacks less law-abiding than whites while both ranked below Asians.

At the peak of the controversy, Western students took to the streets in protest, the OPP launched a criminal investigation, and Ontario’s premier called for the university to fire the mild-mannered academic.

Rushton’s veiws also led to a televised debate between the professor and Canadian environmentalist David Suzuki.

“They were very difficult days,” Brian Timney, dean of the Faculty of Social Science at Western University, said Thursday.

[...]

Read more here: http://www.lfpress.com/2012/10/04/co...e-rushton-dead
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
My office was next to this guy for 2 years.
I'm curious about his research. My gut tells me he was off the wall, but did any of his research have any scientific merit? Or was it just him channeling racism through academia?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 2:52 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Aside from what I think are problems with (a) the theory and (b) the instruments, the research is first-rate. Of course, without a (a) robust theory, and (b) good instruments, you end up with (c) research lacking validity.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 8:49 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Some pretty astounding research coming out of UWO. A British neurologist found that some people in a "vegetative state" may, in fact, be able to communicate. Notice, however, that even the BBC refers to our institution as the University of Western Ontario, not Western University.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20268044

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 9:00 PM
User Registered

Meh I still call it UWO.

In addition to the neurology study, the first round of human trials for a HIV/AIDS vaccine passed with flying colours.

Two big stories for UWO/WU's health departments.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 13, 2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Some pretty astounding research coming out of UWO. A British neurologist found that some people in a "vegetative state" may, in fact, be able to communicate. Notice, however, that even the BBC refers to our institution as the University of Western Ontario, not Western University.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20268044
This could be very problematic for the Right to Die movements. Remember Terri Schaivo?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2012, 5:00 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
This could be very problematic for the Right to Die movements. Remember Terri Schaivo?
South Park made a parody of it, who could forget? What's really frightening is to think about how she may have been at least somewhat aware of what was going on.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2012, 6:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

good for a chuckle or two. Note that I have nothing to do with this video. I happened to come across it while searching for bombastic pronouncements by Kevin O'Leary.
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 12:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

UWO Computer Science student

Quote:
London teen charged in Heartbleed breach of taxpayer data

Read article in LFP here: http://www.lfpress.com/2014/04/16/lo...-taxpayer-data
A bit absurd, with all the concern focused on the perpetrator. I have very little sympathy. Do the crime, face the consequences. Besides, I am late filing my taxes because of his actions.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Study pegs Western University's impact on London

Click above link for more info

Quote:
Western University can take credit for pumping more than $3 billion a year into London's economy and supporting 10,840 jobs in the city, according to a study released Tuesday.

Conducted by KPMG Management Consulting, the study was commissioned by Western to estimate the impact of the university's activities locally, regionally and nationally.

The figures were based on 2012-13.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 2:27 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Can you fucking believe this? The 1 million dollar man, despite being utterly bereft of charisma. Faculty and staff cuts, shitty increases for the faculty. And this turkey doubles his income. What the hell??????

Amit Chakma, Western University president, earned $924K last year

cbc

Quote:
How is it that Western University president and vice-chancellor Amit Chakma collected almost double his $479,600 annual salary last year?

Salary earnings of $924,000, plus $43,244 in taxable benefits, is what's recorded next to Chakma's name in the salary disclosure included in this year's Ontario Sunshine list.
he also gets a free house (a mighty nice castle overlooking the city....I shit ye not). He is the third highest paid public servant in the entire province.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2015, 10:19 PM

Appointed in 2009? I started my degree at Western in 2006, when Western was ranked in the top 4 of the country for an undergrad degree. It stayed pretty high for the next few years. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the university's reputation plummetted down towards 15th in the past few years of rankings? The same time period that this man has earnt 1,000,000 for one year of work?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 4:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:10 PM
User Registered

Terrible memes / advice animals, but I laughed.

My Simcity Stuff

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy