HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:14 AM

Nice to see that we're finally getting some serious proposals for new construction, at least in the more vibrant neighborhoods. The implication was that they are going forward with the development quickly in spite of the appeals process. Maybe they can get it built before the court has a chance to change its mind

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:24 AM

Conventus, taken yesterday morning:

Also, they've got Main Street northbound down to one lane next to the new Medical School site (right side of the first image) and they're doing some earthwork there, so it looks like that project has started.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 11:35 PM

In light of the tundra finally thawing to the point when I can take my time and walk places downtown as apposed to only running between my office and wherever I'm going here are some updates on some downtown projects.

Last edited by sullymon54; Apr 15, 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 11:04 AM

Wow, massive photo update!! Yay! Thanks for putting these up.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 1:03 AM
The Cat's Meow

Great photos, you certainly made your rounds!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:54 PM

55 Apartments in Larkin: Box Factory Lofts in portion of 500 Seneca Street

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/box...rkin-district/

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 10:07 PM

I tried driving downtown last week to get near enough to the HarborCenter site to take some pictures. You used to be able to get close, on Washington Street, at least. Now it seems they have the whole south end of downtown blocked off. I tried from several directions and streets were closed blocks away. Every place I turned I encountered "street closed" signs. Finally I gave up. I have been in Manhattan where 60 story buildings were under construction on very busy traffic streets and lots of pedestrians (walking in wooden closed walkways) and the streets weren't blocked off all around. Why they have to close down so many streets here for just one rather low-rise building I don't understand. Guess next time I will have to park and walk.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:35 AM

Some news via Go Bike Buffalo's FB page regarding the Scajaquada Expressway downgrade:

--------------------------------------------

Today, April 15, 2014, New York State Assemblyman Sean Ryan announced that the New York State Department of Transportation (DOT) will broaden their modeling and study new options for the downgrade of the Scajaquada corridor in Buffalo, specifically by looking into a 30mph speed limit, and converting the expressway into a city street.

The DOT has been working on a plan to improve the expressway and surrounding corridor and create a more pedestrian friendly design. Last week, the DOT discussed their latest plans with the public at a meeting at Buffalo State College, co-hosted by Assemblyman Ryan.

The DOT’s latest plans call for a 40mph speed limit, and two lanes going in each direction. Many attendees of the meeting said that they would like to see the impact of a speed limit set at 30mph, and one lane going in each direction. Others said that the project also needed to incorporate bike lanes throughout the 3.3 mile length of the Scajaquada.

Said Assemblyman Ryan:

“I am pleased that the DOT is actively listening to the public, and is willing to study the impact of reducing the speed of the Scajaquada to 30 miles per hour, and converting the expressway into a city street. The public clearly stated at our meeting last week that they wanted to see data that explored further downgrade options. The DOT is making public outreach and comment a priority, and I thank them for taking these important steps in the process to fix the historic mistake of the Scajaquada expressway. I would also like to thank the public for attending last week’s meeting, and giving the DOT critically important information that will help to improve this project.”

----------------------------------

For readers outside the Buffalo area, the Scajaquada Expressway was built in the 1960s right through Buffalo's main urban park. In 2005, they started studying a downgrade to a boulevard (DOT isn't interested in doing a total removal). Construction is supposed to start in a couple of years, so they are fine-tuning plans on what the new boulevard will actually look like.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:03 PM

Great news about Sinatra buying the Phoenix Brewery at Washington/Virginia.

http://buffalorising.com/2014/04/big...pment-planned/

New residential announced this year:
78 Tracy: 9 units
Square at Larkinville: 31
Saturn Rings: 29
Box Factory Lofts: 55
Phoenix Brewery: 40
American Standard (Elmwood): 38
1285 Main Street: 19

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:16 AM

What is Saturn Rings? Perhaps I know it by another name?

-----------------------------------------------

The list of new restaurants planned near Main/Genesee continues to grow:

former Burger King (rumored): Mediterranean
535 Main: D'Avolio
537 Main: Raclettes
5-7 Genesee: TBA upscale
9 Genesee: "street food" deli
Genesee/Washington: Oshun
Genesee Gateway: Marco's Deli + 1 other rumored
128 Genesee: Dog e Style
"Curve" Building @ Genesee/Oak: TBA coffee shop
former Golden Swan: TBA Cajun

11 within a 3 block stretch of Genesee in the next 6-8 months. Pretty impressive. So - City of Buffalo - about that streetscape project you keep claiming is planned?

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladsnine View Post
What is Saturn Rings? Perhaps I know it by another name?
505 Pearl

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:44 AM

Another interesting idea from Rocco:

Quote:
In one plan, 1950s-style fun called key to Market Arcade Theater's future

photo credit: Buffalo News

Four proposals to privatize the Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre would keep it a movie theater.

But at least one of those interested in taking over the complex in Buffalo’s Theatre District envisions a splashier attraction.

Developer Rocco Termini proposed a $4.5 million project, tentatively titled “Laverne and Shirley’s Bowling and Eating Emporium,” that would add 10 bowling lanes, live music and dining.

“It would be the only facility like this in the country. There are bowling and music venues like this, but nothing that includes movie theaters,” Termini said. “This is something that will bring the whole building back to life. You will start to see suburbanites come down. People will want to come back here.”
I think the general opinion around town is that this place is seriously dated and lacking in modern amenities (it was built in 1987 and hasn't been updated). The Regal on Elmwood or the various suburban cineplexes have it beat in pretty much every way. Whatever happens needs to make it a unique destination, something that people will come downtown for, while also serving the population of downtown and nearby neighborhoods. It sounds like this plan, crazy though it is, fits the bill. I wonder what the other plans are?

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladsnine View Post
Another interesting idea from Rocco:

I think the general opinion around town is that this place is seriously dated and lacking in modern amenities (it was built in 1987 and hasn't been updated). The Regal on Elmwood or the various suburban cineplexes have it beat in pretty much every way. Whatever happens needs to make it a unique destination, something that people will come downtown for, while also serving the population of downtown and nearby neighborhoods. It sounds like this plan, crazy though it is, fits the bill. I wonder what the other plans are?
I like the bowling component. When Termini was looking to do AM&As the second time- the rumor was that Earl Ketry from Pearl Street was going to do a full-on brew pub and a Lucky Strike type facility. It would have been a game changer for that block. I think he's on the right track with what he has in mind for the Theater District. I'd like to know what the others have planned.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
I like the bowling component. When Termini was looking to do AM&As the second time- the rumor was that Earl Ketry from Pearl Street was going to do a full-on brew pub and a Lucky Strike type facility. It would have been a game changer for that block. I think he's on the right track with what he has in mind for the Theater District. I'd like to know what the others have planned.
This is similar to the old Alamo Drafthouse / Highball in South Austin. Unfortunately, the new Highball will not include bowling.

http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/new-highball

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, these aren't your typical old bowling alleys. If it's anything like the places he Termini mentioned, it'll be great. Visitors complained there was nothing to do downtown but the options are growing quickly.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 4:57 AM

500 Seneca's progress:

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 8:23 PM

Construction started on a few projects:

UB Med School (site prep?)

Dog-E-Style :

Lofts on Genesee:

And the rendering on site

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 2:31 AM

Hey- how about the trees in the Theater District?

Lots of projects underway - big and small.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Hey- how about the trees in the Theater District?

Lots of projects underway - big and small.
There are trees planted? Hope they grow big and strong and a bunch of planters installed. Will look just as barren without some softening of the landscape. The block between Tupper and Goodell is well done.

Has to be at least a $billion under construction downtown alone.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedious View Post
There are trees planted? Hope they grow big and strong and a bunch of planters installed. Will look just as barren without some softening of the landscape. The block between Tupper and Goodell is well done.

Has to be at least a $billion under construction downtown alone.
Between HARBORCENTER, Conventus, Med School, 250 Delaware, Cath Health, Roswell, Tishman, and soon- Children's Hospital....$1 billion is about right. Plus lots of 'small' projects and public sector infrastructure/streetscape work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations