HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 2:30 PM
You talkin' to me?

Halifax's "Mojo"

HALIFAX - It's been a year of Halifax often saying "no," setting off debate on how the East Coast's biggest city can recapture its lost mojo in 2008.

As 2007 draws to a close, some citizens are looking back with regret at the mega-events that might have been, such as the 2014 Commonwealth Games bid that the city scuttled in March, or Celine Dion's November decision to back out of an outdoor concert with her manager citing the city's media negativity.

"It would have caused a revival of investment of the city beyond the Games," argues Mills. "People would have paid attention to us."

Towards the end of the year, discontent surfaced among business leaders in the city as the Chamber of Commerce launched a campaign featuring "Yes" buttons. Meanwhile, Mills's Citizens for Halifax Society is half way to its initial goal of 1,000 members.

But Mayor Peter Kelly doesn't see the year in the same way.

Continue Article

He cites accomplishments ranging from 2,500 housing starts this year, the arrival of natural gas on the city's peninsula and progress on a sewage cleanup plant. He also argues the Commonwealth Games would have left a heavy burden of debt for future generations to bear.

"I think we need to be realistic and send positive messaging as to what we can do, and what we cannot do," he says.

"Sometimes you can't be afraid to say 'no' if it's outside of your realm of affordability."

However, there are also ordinary citizens who argue the city's "vision" is blurry compared with 12 years ago, when Halifax hosted world leaders at a G7 summit and was declared among North America's "hippest" cities by Harper's Bazaar magazine.

Some of the loudest debates in the city have centred on proposals to redevelop the downtown, with heritage advocates opposing developers who want to build taller buildings that obstruct views of the harbour from Citadel Hill, a historic fort perched above the city centre.

Peter Henry, a Halifax architect, wonders why compromises can't be reached between heritage advocates who resist highrise buildings in the downtown and developers who want "tall buildings in the middle of a parking lot."

"We need to embrace modernity, while respecting our heritage," he says.

"We should be building a city that is dense, rich and exciting to be in. I can't imagine being here as a young person who just left school at 25 or 26 years of age."

Henry is critical of the city's development plans, describing himself as deeply offended by the amount of public money spent on roads and infrastructure for big-box stores on the outskirts.

"We seem more and more destined to make ourselves look like Cincinnati or Cleveland and other beige cities in the American heartland."

Meanwhile, Mills argues height restrictions on downtown office complexes means there's a risk that the centre of the city will hollow out.

He also claims that since a provincially dictated amalgamation in the early 1990s, an unwieldy council is a balkanized collection of old suburban communities, the inner city and rural areas.

However, for all the criticisms, Kelly notes there are outsiders who praise Halifax, and he suggests some landmark building is on the way.

A Conference Board of Canada 2007 study ranked Halifax - with a population of 372,858 - as being among the nine "hub cities" of Canada, and gave it a rare A grade for the education level of its citizens.

Richard Homburg, a Halifax and Netherlands-based real estate developer who created Homburg Invest (TSX:HII.A), raised spirits in the city earlier this year when he donated $5 million to renovate the fitness centre at Saint Mary's University.

He views the city as a likely candidate for some major construction, even though the bulk of his company's acquisitions and growth has been in Alberta.

"I think it's still a hip city," he says.

The multi-millionaire is musing about a "major" public-private partnership to redevelop the city's downtown core.

"We don't want to build a building for $5 million or $10 million in Halifax," he says. "If we do something let's build something major. Maybe a financial centre, maybe there should be one large government place being built."

The city has potential, provided the citizens start to participate in the public discussion over how to develop the city, says John DeWolf, a former Halifax graphic designer who now works as a professor at Washington's Corcoran School of Art and Design.

DeWolf recalls that the G7 put the city on centre stage. At the time he was featured in magazine articles as his company created television graphics for U.S. cable channel Nickelodeon.

He says Halifax designers are still making an international mark, even if they're out of the limelight.

Educate the public about good urban design and soon they will respond, he predicts.

"Halifax just finished an urban redesign plan and I do hope they implement it," he says.

"When you have community understanding what good design is, then you can have change. People need to understand why we need to push the limits, why we need to change, why we can stop recreating our historic elements."

Old Posted Dec 18, 2007, 4:52 PM

Quote:
"We seem more and more destined to make ourselves look like Cincinnati or Cleveland and other beige cities in the American heartland."
Ouch. That's harsh (to both Halifax and Cincinnati/Cleveland) lol

Seriously though, I hope Halifax works out its internal-debates, because they seem to be holding it back from achieving the kind of heritage/modernity balance that I've always felt it was capable of. I'm not in favour of "okaying" every new development, but I don't think that the Heritage groups should be as negative toward development as they have been either. Someone needs to get these people to watch a few episodes of Sesame Street and learn what the words "Sharing" and "compromise" mean.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 2:48 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't think it's true that the city is "slipping" and that the mid-90s, for example, were a kind of golden era. They weren't. Halifax felt a lot smaller and quieter then generally and its economy was not as good.

As for housing starts, natural gas, and a sewage plant being "accomplishments", well... natural gas was paid for and built by private companies, housing starts can really only be screwed up by the municipality (which seems to be doing that as much as possible under the circumstances), and the sewage plants came after several decades of screw-ups (I don't see how eventually building something obvious with taxpayer money is something to be hugely proud of). I really hate how Kelly spins everything as an "accomplishment".

Mainly I just want to see some renewed investment in the downtown. If Barrington is fixed up and a few of the major projects being talked about actually come into being the impact will be pretty significant. I think the economy, on the whole, is doing fine.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 9:12 PM
You talkin' to me?

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/161422

An article in the T&T today. I really bold statement to say the least.

I don't understand how some people can say Halifax is stagnating when $700 million in building permits were handed out in 2006, compared to Moncton's $141 million.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Well, some people just don't know what they're talking about. I remember reading comments to the effect that there have been no construction cranes in Halifax for 20 years, for example, which is funny because at the time I passed about half a dozen each day.

When it comes to people in Moncton and the paper there, a lot of it is just cheerleading and willful denial combined with a lack of perspective. The fact that Moncton is doing well says nothing either way about Halifax, and in fact the scale of development happening in Halifax is much larger. Halifax may have said "no" to the CWGs but they were never even on the table in Moncton to begin with. Moncton's smaller today than Halifax was in the 1950s.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2007, 2:06 AM

Quote from the T&T article:
Quote:
Part of Metro Moncton's strength, he thinks, is in not simply trying to be another Halifax but in "being the best at who we are. We don't worry about keeping up with the Joneses."
That's hilarious. All Moncton has been doing for the past 15 years is gunning at Saint John and comparing absolutely every single little statistic with their provincial rival. Now they feel like they've beaten Saint John (which isn't true), and are trying to "keep up" with Halifax.

That being said, I would love to see New Brunswick as a whole try and take some steam away from Nova Scotia - we've been playing second fiddle for far too long.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 9:12 PM

The economy in Halifax is doing well the Conference Board of Canada shows that Halifax has the third fastest growing economy in Canada this year.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 11:52 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I think everybody is giving the T&T too much credit. New Brunswick News' papers make a point of pandering as much as they can to their core market. If an accurate statistic says Fredericton is doing better at something, the T&T will spin it to make Moncton look best. The Telegraph will do exactly the same for Saint John. I don't even read the paper here anymore. You can get 90% of the content 100% of the spin if you just read the headlines.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
-- and the city's frequent self-conscious comparisons of itself with Moncton, and all this Haligonian agonizing and fingerpointing is underscoring just how good things are in Metro Moncton today.
Halifax is the one self-consciously comparing itself to Moncton? That's funny because I very rarely see articles this outrageous in either the Herald or the Daily News and I read them pretty much daily.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think it's true that the city is "slipping" and that the mid-90s, for example, were a kind of golden era. They weren't. Halifax felt a lot smaller and quieter then generally and its economy was not as good.

Mainly I just want to see some renewed investment in the downtown. If Barrington is fixed up and a few of the major projects being talked about actually come into being the impact will be pretty significant. I think the economy, on the whole, is doing fine.
Totally agree with both statements. I remember Barrington St. in the mid 90s and it was empty.

Some of our saying "No" has been because we have been doing so well lately. The development debates that we've seen fire up in the last two or three years didn't exist ten years ago because there was hardly any interest in big projects downtown. Our antiquated development process is now under the microscope and I think we are just beginning the debate on how we can move the city forward. It's going to be painful to watch for a while because all parties are entrenched in their positions and there is a lot of bad blood but I think this whole awkward year or two is simply growing pains made worse by poor leadership. We haven't "lost our mojo" we're just coming up against some big questions that will take a while to sort out.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 1:58 AM

I do agree that Halifax is doing good. But it could be a lot better. There have been a lot of "No's" thrown around lately. If the figures are right about over 20,000 people leaving the city, then obviously there is a problem. Halifax needs more 'upscale' development other then a big site with a couple hundred shopping stores. We need office towers etc. That require people who work in them to have an education higher than grade 10 or so. Which working in shopping stores does not require that much intelligence.

Obviously the mayor is going to be optimistic... He's running the city and needs to be. If he was pessimistic, then the city mood would also drop. He's representing the city and needs to be cheerful.

The fact is, is that Halifax and Dartmouth are developing... But its mostly department stores and big box retailer's. Hardly the look of a city. But rather a suburb of something better. You do see a few high rises growing up also, so kudos to that. But with all the hopeful projects canceled, Halifax will continue to loose people, and i bet a lot of the people leaving are higher educated people. Halifax has a lot of post-secondary educational facilities, but once the students graduate, chances are they leave, because they see there is no opportunity for them here.

Halifax has along way to go, to be a great city. Right now its about average.

I said it before and I'll say it again... What good is holding on to the heritage, when you don't have the modern to compare it to, or when everyone leaves, there is no one to enjoy it.

I have seen lots of buildings tore down in other cities that had a lot more historical significance then most buildings in Halifax, and those cities are the one's that grow. Halifax has good heritage... But you don't need to make every other building on this street or that street a heritage building. Imagine if the world opperated like that... We would have nothing. The critics from the Heritage trust are living in a past that no longer exists. This is 2007 not 1907, we need to move on.

Halifax Hillbilly... I hope your right!

Last edited by Canadian_Bacon; Dec 28, 2007 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 8:38 PM

i think it's a matter of perception.
which can have more effect than reality sometimes.
halifax is perceived from the outside as a city that "used to be cool".
the city can certainly turn it around.
but a few lousy deicisions and a mayor who appears to be in over his head can make a city look bad.
if only they'd start construciton on the Twisted Sisters!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:02 PM
Honored Member

I didn't know where to post this information so this thread seemed as good a place as any.

Halifax is a featured city in National Geographic's "World's Best Cities: Celebrating 220 Great Destinations" as reported in the MacDonald Report - http://www.themacdonaldreport.com/#. I won't use any of the information in the MacDonald Report since they and allnovascotia.com protect their information by requiring subscriptions (as opposed to large scale advertizing).

I can provide a link to the Amazon.com link for the book - http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Best-Ci...t+Destinations. According to the Table of Contents in the book preview (Look Inside option) Halifax is one of 62 featured cities (only Toronto and Montreal in Canada, are also featured whereas some other Canadian cities have shorter writeups).

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

I hope nobody comes to visit right now. Between the roads and sidewalks still being ice-bound, much of the city is still not easily accessible.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 8:42 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I hope nobody comes to visit right now. Between the roads and sidewalks still being ice-bound, much of the city is still not easily accessible.
I don't think many people visit Halifax in the winter...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 12:03 PM

They really should close all the hotels for the winter.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General