HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 12:57 PM
Closed account

Also proximity to Locke St., whereas Aldershot has proximity to...the strip malls of Plains Rd.?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 1:08 PM

I don't find the pricing unreasonable for the quality of product being offered. While the argument can be made that one can get a home for less cash than that, the market for homes and condos are two different beasts.

It took me a bit of time to get around the idea that there is a market segment in Hamilton that is willing to pay these prices for a condo, but there is evidence that the market does exist. The Herkimer Apartment condo conversion originally seemed steep to me (280-300K per unit), but that is just about sold out. There was much discussion in the Stisnon School thread that it was overpriced, but it is now 2/3 sold.

There does appear to be a market for quality condiminium product in Hamilton, and I think we'll be seeing many more similar small-scale products like this popping up about town.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2010, 7:27 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

$320K ??? and 50% sold already

Last edited by realcity; Oct 10, 2010 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2010, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
$320K ??? and 50% sold already
Well they ranged from 180k for essentially a bachelor apt with no parking spot to 400k+ for a penthouse.

Further they're 1 km from the heart of Locke Village. My current condo is 1.3 km from there while being even closer to downtown stuff so I think I will be staying put and investing in a major renovation as opposed to buying something new.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:12 PM

My wife was in the sales centre this past week and the agent on duty advised that they have sold enough units to start construction this spring (April or May or so) and that occupancy would be spring or summer in 2012. So hopefully we'll see that construction start soon. The most recent price list I saw had more than 20 of the 30 or so units sold, so that's 2/3rd. The last of the cheapest units ($179,900 with no parking) was going to close in a matter of days too. Probably once people see that the construction has started it might trigger some more purchases too. Hopefully the developer can leverage the capital from this project for another such infill development.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 2:36 PM

Glad to see Hamilton getting some decent modern infill finally.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 7:00 PM

I have seen surveyors out there in the last few day and the ground around is getting all marked up by them.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 5:24 AM
Concerned Citizen

Went by today and they have a new sign up with a new rendering of the proposed building. Looks like it's going to have red brick cladding. It also says that pre construction prices will be ending soon.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 5:49 AM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 12:40 AM
Concerned Citizen

Thats a much better picture. It looks alot better than what I thought when I first saw the picture on the new sign.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:15 PM

tough lock for anyone iliving in the apartment building just south of it!

looks good though - this will be a huge change on that corner. now can we get rid of the retail with setback and surface parking?

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 1:47 PM

The sales centre is now closed. There is a sign on the door that I noticed on the weekend saying that it is closed to prepare for demolition and that there are a 'couple' of units left so call for more information. I suppose closing the sales centre is a step in the right direction if indeed they move forward. But I want to see the thing actually come down and the construction crane moved to the site before I get really excited.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
The sales centre is now closed. There is a sign on the door that I noticed on the weekend saying that it is closed to prepare for demolition and that there are a 'couple' of units left so call for more information. I suppose closing the sales centre is a step in the right direction if indeed they move forward. But I want to see the thing actually come down and the construction crane moved to the site before I get really excited.
Great news! I'll be sure to get pics as soon as demo begins
..also I could use a Zarky's visit Mmmmmmm buns.

Should this be updated to 'Under Construction'?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC1983 View Post
Great news! I'll be sure to get pics as soon as demo begins
..also I could use a Zarky's visit Mmmmmmm buns.

Should this be updated to 'Under Construction'?
Hydro has put in new post on the corner and beside the building looks like they will be starting the demo soon.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 1:34 PM

I live in the area and I'm not sure the hydro polls are related to the development. We got a notice from Horizon or Hydro One in the mail a few weeks back saying they are replacing over the summer all the old hydro polls on Dundurn and on a few other streets in the area. Now, that may explain why demolition and construction hasn't started yet. They probably wanted to wait for that work to be done so they could more safely move their heavy equipment, crane, etc. to the site. So hopefully construction will start soon!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2011, 4:24 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I live in the area and I'm not sure the hydro polls are related to the development. We got a notice from Horizon or Hydro One in the mail a few weeks back saying they are replacing over the summer all the old hydro polls on Dundurn and on a few other streets in the area. Now, that may explain why demolition and construction hasn't started yet. They probably wanted to wait for that work to be done so they could more safely move their heavy equipment, crane, etc. to the site. So hopefully construction will start soon!
They replaced the ones on Aberdeen last year. So this is probably just a continuation of that work.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:24 PM

Urban West Condo Construction to Begin July 4 [Ryan McGreal, Raise the Hammer, June 30, 2011]

"Ward 1 Councillor Brian McHattie's office just issued a news release stating that Urban West Condos at Aberdeen Avenue and Dundurn Street South will begin construction this coming Monday, July 4. The project is ready to go: the demolition permit for the existing structure has been approved, as well as building permit and site plan approval for the new structure. The demolition is expected to take a week, and excavation/remediation work will take the rest of the month."

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 9:49 PM

fantastic! There will be cranes going up in ward 2 this summer:

Urban West
City square
Witton Lofts?
Staybridge?

Probably has something to do with the impending development charge hike.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 4:35 PM

Witton loft construction is supposed to start in august.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Urban West Condos - 427 Aberdeen Avenue | 25m | 7 fl | Approved > Urban West Condos - 427 Aberdeen Avenue | 25m | 7 fl | U/C

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton