HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 24, 2006, 10:01 PM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2006, 10:55 PM
A before E

the virginia beach city center is actually starting to look like a real city center instead of a glorified shopping center that I was affraid would happen when I first heard about the town center.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 9:16 AM
Future God

Geez, those sidewalks have the capacity to hold about three people.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker
Geez, those sidewalks have the capacity to hold about three people.
What sidewalks are you referring too? I didn't take a picture of any sidewalks.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2006, 7:24 PM

Westin Progress: 11th story finished, 12th floor started

Old Posted Jul 15, 2006, 1:26 PM

Westin and AH Tower side by side comparison.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2006, 11:51 PM

14th story finished

Old Posted Jul 28, 2006, 2:49 PM

New Westin office should enhance robust sales
Aggressive schedule keeps tallest building

Janet Dunphy
Inside Business - Hampton Roads
Monday July 31, 2006

Flying tables and tower cranes dominate the western edge of Town Center in Virginia Beach as the tallest building in Virginia takes shape.

The Westin Hotel and Condominiums has a $183.6 million price tag and a $98 million contract price for the builder, Armada Hoffler. It is due for delivery in late 2007.

The clients are Town Center Associates LLC, which includes Armada Hoffler and Divaris Real Estate, and the Virginia Beach Economic Development Authority.

Thanks to what the builder calls an aggressive construction schedule, the Westin is showing vertical progress toward the goal of 39 floors . One is poured per week with number 15 scheduled for Aug. 1 or 2.

The project includes retail, a conference center and parking. The hotel will be managed by Crestline Hotels and Resorts.

The flying tables on the upper reaches of the Westin are platforms that are moved along the outer edges of the building before a concrete floor is poured. The tower crane was just raised 100 feet to keep the process going.

“It’s a big expense, so it needs to go fast,” said Bernard Shumate Jr., a project executive with Armada Hoffler, the builder. “It took two years to get to this point.”

The topping out is planned for Jan. 31, 2007.

Sales have been robust for the 119 condominiums. Last week, 76 were under binding contract with 10 percent down and the sales office, manned by Rose & Womble Realty Company, didn’t even open until July 20.

Incidentally, it is located on the ground floor of the Dick’s Sporting Goods building – across from the work site – in space that has never been occupied. Streamlined models of the Westin’s 236 guest rooms will be constructed in more space next door to work out any bugs in the design and for Crestline marketing purposes.

The official opening of the sales office on July 20 included a hard hat tour that only a few people took. Bob Scott, director of the Virginia Beach Department of Planning, was one of them. Shumate and Phil Sheridan, Armada Hoffler’s site manager at the Westin, conducted the tour.

“It’s fascinating because it creates a brand new ID for the city,” Scott said.

“When we did the 21-story building, we were in brand new territory,” said Sheridan, referring to the Armada Hoffler Tower in Town Center.

The tour started on Commerce Street, which connects to Independence Boulevard, where the main entrance will be located. A restaurant, described as American Fusion by the hosts, will be to the left of the entrance.

The lobby will feature a glass stairway, a waterfall and a replica Fresnel Lens, a design originally developed for lighthouses. It’s all supposed to reflect a nautical theme. There will also be retail on the ground floor.

The second floor consists of the conference center and business facilities and the third and fourth floors are storage for the residences.

The days when the concrete is poured are intense. The crews start at 2 a.m. and stop at 7 p.m.

“It’s a long day, but it’s the only way we keep the cycle going,” said Sheridan, a former Navy Seabee who wants to make sure the superintendents – Mike Clifford, Keith Sanders and Dean Stacy – get credit for their roles, too.

Shumate said he and Sheridan helped create the construction schedule and then trimmed two months off of it.

“We tightened up the activities and there’s no time when we aren’t working on the critical structure,” Shumate said.

A pre-cast concrete site along Independence helped to speed the job along and also provided a lay-down yard for the subcontractor, Sheridan said. It butts up against the cast parking garage that wraps around a portion of the building.

The portable construction elevator runs up and down the side of the building all day long. Sheridan said it is tested with 8,000 pounds each time the project goes up six floors.

In the future, two more elegant versions from two different lobbies will run hotel guests from floors one to 15 and residents from floors one to 37, but the latter will not stop at the hotel floors, which are six to 16. There are 37 livable floors and two floors for storage and mechanical purposes.

The first stop on the tour was the fifth floor, the future fitness center. The pool and Jacuzzi have been poured. There are no outside walls, so a mesh fence serves as a temporary wall that can stop 200 pounds as a safety measure, Sheridan said.

While the concrete crews move upward, the poured floors begin to take shape. The electricity, plumbing and mechanical contractors move in. Sheridan can pinpoint each guest room or residence based on the pipes sticking up through the concrete or lining the ceiling above.

“These holes don’t happen by accident,” Sheridan said, indicating the places where pipes will run. “They have to be properly engineered. It doesn’t allow for a lot of hiccups.”

Safety, supplies, schedules and architectural questions are all reviewed in weekly meetings. Stakeholder meetings are held every other week.

According to Rose & Womble information, more than half of the 15 penthouse condos, from 2,800 square feet to 4,200 square feet, have been sold for amounts ranging from $1.5 million to $4 million.

So who wants to buy a condo in the heart of Virginia Beach?

“People that travel and are used to urban areas,” answered Frank Mageras, a Rose & Womble Realtor. “It’s very similar to what they were used to in previous experiences. Others have lived here before or have business interests or family here.”

He said the buyers start at about age 30.

The condos start on the 16th floor with the efficiency models, which are 700 to 1,000 square feet and cost $390,000 and $416,000. The two-bedroom models are 1,700 to 2,500 square feet and range in price from $624,000 to $1 million. The one-bedroom with a study at 1,500 square feet costs $602,000 to $702,000.

The two-bedroom model has been the most popular, but there are only three one-bedroom units left of 14, Mageras said. One selling point for prospective buyers is the hotel below where out-of-town guests can stay, he said.

http://www.insidebiz.com/output.cfm?ID=4355516

Last edited by vdogg; Jul 28, 2006 at 3:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 11:42 PM

16th floor finished, 17th floor started

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 6:33 AM

Once again that for the relentless up dates here. This is gonna look sweat and it will be great to extend the foot traffic in town center westward once this and the PAC open there doors. Hopefully too, it will held fill the retail space next to Dick's sportings goods. Retailer won't feel they are so isolated once the Westin becomes operational.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 5:14 PM
InfillJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyweaxguy
When it gets close to being topped out we should sweet talk the workers into giving us a tour.
Hey Navy, how come rotten stinken Denver cant get a tower like this built??? HA?!!?!?! You're a CO native...tell me?? WHY WHY WHY??

LOL

Old Posted Aug 12, 2006, 2:59 PM

18 floor finished, 19th started

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 1:20 AM

i found this page

while doing a search of Virginia Beach Town Center stuff. I thought it was an interesting thread. I'm moving into The Cosmopolitan within the next couple of months. My apartment will look out at the The Westin. I figure it should be a pretty cool view. If any one is interested i'll take some construction pictures from my apartment after i move in.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2006, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellie
while doing a search of Virginia Beach Town Center stuff. I thought it was an interesting thread. I'm moving into The Cosmopolitan within the next couple of months. My apartment will look out at the The Westin. I figure it should be a pretty cool view. If any one is interested i'll take some construction pictures from my apartment after i move in.
Of course I would love to see pictures from there. You should visit and post your pics here
as well.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2006, 8:30 PM
Lowe's

Here is a small update from this afternoon.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 5:00 PM

About halfway up and making an impact.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2006, 6:45 PM

This is looking great! Several floors added since the last time I was in the area.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2006, 4:43 AM
A before E

I still can't believe something this tall is being built in VB, just too cool.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 6:58 PM

21st floor completed, 22nd started. They slowed down quite a bit due to the storm, holiday weekend, and the fact that they have to raise the crane today. Things should be back at a quicker pace however once they finish raising the crane.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 9:44 PM

An additional pic courtesy of guynvb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast