HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 15, 2023, 1:46 PM

Woof!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 2:10 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Haha!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 7:00 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

I got a photo of this before they covered it with scrim..

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:37 PM

Thanks for getting that pic, aijuO! It looks like rumors that the Hoberman Arch would be placed there were correct. I'd much prefer the arch be used in an Olympic plaza, but at least here it can be seen, which is better than its current place in a warehouse.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBison View Post
Thanks for getting that pic, aijuO! It looks like rumors that the Hoberman Arch would be placed there were correct. I'd much prefer the arch be used in an Olympic plaza, but at least here it can be seen, which is better than its current place in a warehouse.
I thought I heard that some of the arch was stolen. Did they catch the thieves?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 4:50 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

The construction area on the south of the east concours is about cleaned up. They are starting to paint the lines on the concrete. They have gates 26 & 30 painted on.

A super far away look at concourse B Hub area

Park and wait expansion.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 4:55 PM

I just flew through SLC a couple of days ago. I'm still absolutely amazed at how miniscule the terminal frontage is. It's kind of embarrassing, actually

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 6:29 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 10:54 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I just flew through SLC a couple of days ago. I'm still absolutely amazed at how miniscule the terminal frontage is. It's kind of embarrassing, actually
Bro lmao

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeder113 View Post
Wow!! It’s really coming along nicely!! It’s perfect!! Thank you for sharing this with us and please keep us updated.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 5:12 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Have they announced a specific date for the gates opening in August? It says October 31st for the last of the gates in concourse A… but nothing for the August Gates, and it’s almost August.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 2:31 AM

It seems like I saw August 22nd as the date the other 4 gates will open.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
It seems like I saw August 22nd as the date the other 4 gates will open.
Yes! That’s exactly right! I completely forgot about that! I remember the days. They will open up 4 more new gates. Later on, they will open 17 more gates on October 31, 2023.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 2:53 AM

Do you suppose with record passengers the third concourse might be needed to be started when phase 4 is done? Because it would take years to build it would seem they will need to move forward sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 3:18 AM
Lahaina Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by djggrind View Post
Do you suppose with record passengers the third concourse might be needed to be started when phase 4 is done? Because it would take years to build it would seem they will need to move forward sooner rather than later.
The Airport Master Plan states that under a high growth scenario, concourse C wouldn't be needed until 2052. They'll get some prerequisite work done as part of the current redevelopment program, but don't get your hopes up for construction to start any time soon.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2023, 11:52 PM

I have an inside source that’s in many of the preliminary design meetings with the airport and airlines, and he gives me occasional updates when we get together. Most recently he’s mentioned that the city and airport are currently preparing the plans for the relocation of the existing fuel tanks, Skywest hangers, and Delta hangers that are currently sitting where Concourse C will eventually be located. It’s likely that construction on new cross-field taxiways on the north side of the airport would begin first, either concurrently with phase 4 of Concourse B, or immediately afterwards (approx 2026-2027).

The new taxiways are necessary before the maintenance hangers can be relocated, and would also facilitate the closure of the existing taxiway immediately north of Concourse B in order to dig the extension of the central tunnel. The goal is to begin the extension of the central tunnel well ahead of its need, and save money by doing it at the same time as the fuel tanks and maintenance are being demolished and relocated further north.

All of that will likely be well under way by the end of the decade so that construction on C Concourse can begin as soon as it’s deemed necessary and financing is secured.

Also mentioned was that United has signed on to build a United Club in phase 4, and also committed to enough additional gates to approximately double their SLC operation and become SLC’s second largest carrier (excluding Skywest.)

A bit of disappointing news too, though. Most of the recent air traffic studies and projections have suggested that SLC will reach its maximum takeoff and landing capacity much sooner than was previously expected, making the plans for an eventual Concourse D and 3rd parallel west runway irrelevant. Due to the shape of the valley, SLC is limited with available flight paths for approaching and climbing out of the airport, and the 3rd west runway would require such specific flight paths and conditions for use (weight restrictions, weather conditions, direction of departure) that it’s no longer cost effective to build. Realigning 17/35 would have similar challenges but is now the preferred alternative for future capacity increases. But unfortunately a hypothetical Concourse D would only be necessary if both a west parallel runway and a realignment of 17/35 were completed.

That said, I predict we will see PVU and OGD become much larger players as secondary airports by the 2050s as SLC starts approaching it’s capacity.

Last edited by downtownslcresident; Aug 3, 2023 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2023, 4:37 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Burger King is now open in South Concourse East.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2023, 8:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownslcresident View Post
A bit of disappointing news too, though. Most of the recent air traffic studies and projections have suggested that SLC will reach its maximum takeoff and landing capacity much sooner than was previously expected, making the plans for an eventual Concourse D and 3rd parallel west runway irrelevant. Due to the shape of the valley, SLC is limited with available flight paths for approaching and climbing out of the airport, and the 3rd west runway would require such specific flight paths and conditions for use (weight restrictions, weather conditions, direction of departure) that it’s no longer cost effective to build. Realigning 17/35 would have similar challenges but is now the preferred alternative for future capacity increases. But unfortunately a hypothetical Concourse D would only be necessary if both a west parallel runway and a realignment of 17/35 were completed.

That said, I predict we will see PVU and OGD become much larger players as secondary airports by the 2050s as SLC starts approaching it’s capacity.
To be completely honest, this isn't the worst news possible. This situation should only incentivise expansion of Airport services in Ogden and Provo. Provo could be international by the end of the decade, and Ogden by the end of next decade, if they begin to pursue expansion (as has been rumored in the past). Having 2 new international airports on the Wasatch Front can ease the burden on SLC by absorbing domestic flights as well as shorter international flights, so that SLC can have the breathing room to expand their international offerings without burdening their airspace. As a bonus, this could also provide an incentive to better connect the 3 cities with more reliable, and faster, transit. The wasatch front will continue to grow as both a community of residents and as an international destination, and having 3 international airports in one urban area can connect the region in a way that we haven't seen yet. By 2050, I'd love to see both Provo and Ogden with mass local transit, connected to a higher speed regional system, and this could be facilitated by the future expansion of these cities airports and the ensuing need to move large amounts of people around. Idk, just some random thoughts

Old Posted Aug 5, 2023, 9:56 AM
Exit 298

Not meaning to compare SLC to LA, but can you imagine if LAX served 100% of the traffic?

Thankfully, that airport has constraints as well. And that means vibrant airports at Burbank, John Wayne, and Ontario ... with an honorable mention for Long Beach.

I foresee SLC becoming a "mini LA" in the sense that SLC will be the hub for bigger routes, but smaller stuff out of PVU (our "Burbank").

Old Posted Aug 6, 2023, 8:52 PM
A.K.A. Vigo

Most of the construction and vehicles are cleared out from the south side of concourse A… looks like they just have a little bit of line painting and removing of fencing to do. In just a matter of weeks or possibly even days there will be no sign of construction on the front side of the airport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West