HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 10:29 AM

Joint Expo bid makes no sense: Mandel
By FRANK LANDRY, CITY HALL BUREAU
Last Updated: 3rd June 2009, 2:56am

Edmonton will not work with Calgary on a joint bid for Expo 2017, vows Mayor Stephen Mandel.

But Mandel yesterday said the southern city would be more than welcome to take part in the event, should it be awarded to the provincial capital. "We'd love to work with Calgary if they want to participate in the exposition in Edmonton; we'd love to have them as part of the team," Mandel said.

"That to us is fine, but it just doesn't make sense to have it in two cities."

Mandel said Expos don't lend themselves to be held in two centres so far apart.

"It's not event-driven like the Olympics, where you have a venue where people go watch soccer in one place and they're going to watch something else 100 miles away."

Calgary Mayor Dave Bronconnier earlier this week said there are options for the two cities to collaborate on a bid.

Edmonton has already worked on its bid for months and is requesting cash from the province to help it be chosen as the Canadian city that will be in the running for the Expo.

It didn't become public until last week that Calgary was also gunning for the event.

No other Canadian cities are reportedly interested in hosting the 2017 World's Fair, which would coincide with the country's 150th birthday.

Alberta Culture Minister Lindsay Blackett this week said the Calgary organizers should have informed Mandel of their intentions "out of respect."

Mandel declined to comment on that. "I'm not going to get into the situation in Calgary. The minister has his opinions," Mandel said.

"It's a difficult situation because it caught everybody a bit by surprise, but it doesn't change the fact that Calgary has every right to bid on the Expo."

In Calgary, former mayor Al Duerr said Calgary should seize a chance to host the world event after losing to Nagoya, Japan, the eventual 2005 host.

What's key in the highly political process is that the federal government is strongly on the bidding city's side, said Duerr. Duerr noted that preparing the bid against other Canadian cities is not as expensive as competing with other international cities.

"Where it starts to generate a greater cost is when you get into the international arena," he said.

FRANK.LANDRY@SUNMEDIA.CA
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmo...58671-sun.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 12:48 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

The fun never ends...

In new Battle of Alberta, Calgary mayor slammed for 'extortion' after his 11th-hour bid for Expo 2017

By RICK BELL - Edmonton Sun

Last Updated: 4th June 2009, 3:24am

CALGARY -- When the word "extortion" is used you know Mayor Dave Bronconnier has really got the wrong people steamed.

And now the province may not back anybody as Alberta's choice for Expo 2017. It's all up in the air.

Lindsay Blackett, the guy who always seems to sport a smile on his face, sure isn't smiling now.

Blackett, Premier Ed's main man on World's Fair stuff and a proud Calgarian, sounds like he's on a slow burn, more upset yesterday than late last week when Bronco pulled off his latest stunt.

You know the one, where at the last minute and out of nowhere, Bronco tells the feds Calgary wants Expo 2017.

Edmonton has been working on their World's Fair bid for quite some time and have already worked with the province on its pitch.

Then, with Edmonton a good bet to be Canada's choice to compete against other cities to host the event, Bronco suddenly wants the Expo action.

It is whispered Bronco figures if Calgary tosses its hat in the ring but Edmonton gets the nod and considerable cash from the province, and we're talking between $1.5 billion and 3 billion, then Calgary can also demand coin.

And, if Calgary doesn't get it, then our own Broncosaurus Rex can suit up as Captain Cowtown and go to battle in the leadup to next year's city election as our superhero.

Behind closed doors, Bronco gets almost all the aldermen to agree to his routine including a $400,000 cheque, like that's ever hard.

And so the province is now left with a love-me, love-me-not choice of backing one or the other city or, what could well happen, neither one. Thanks for showing up, Bronco.

"It reeks of extortion," says Blackett, who ... are you ready for this tidbit... has his brain picked by Bronco about the Edmonton bid a few days back without the mayor telling him an 11th-hour move by Calgary is in the works.

Then, when Bronco pushes the Go button, Blackett finds out from a TV cameraman.

Let the culture kahuna and man on Expo do the talking.

"Coming at the last moment they put pressure on us and put us in a difficult position. I don't succumb to that kind of pressure," says Blackett.

"I'm a Calgarian. I want to give my city an honest shake but please don't embarrass me. There's a way of being business-like and being professional. I just don't understand what they're thinking.

"It would be great if we could stand by one bid. Now we have to revisit this. Edmonton has spent time doing due diligence and now Calgary wants to come in and say they're equal. It doesn't work that way.

"The scenario has now changed. We have two bids and we're pushed into a corner. It's like having twin children, how do you pick?"

Blackett, like many people, wonders what is behind Bronco's move. How does Calgary, without a location, without a plan, without a theme for the big bash, without any indication of desire to host Expo, stand up with seconds on the clock and say: By the way, we want the World's Fair.

"You have to wonder about the motivation at the city of Calgary," says Blackett, showing no sign of a lowering temperature.

"Do they want to be a fly in the ointment? Are they trying to force us to make a decision one way or the other? If the city of Calgary thinks they are on an equal footing they're being foolhardy.

"I know what it's like to walk a political tightrope. But we will make a decision in the best interests of Albertans."

RICK.BELL@SUNMEDIA.CA

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmo...72336-sun.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 5:58 PM
HVAC guru

Even Kerry Diotte smells a rat....

A sneaky Cowtown plot to usurp Expo

Sneaky. Sleazy. Self-centred. Conniving. Outrageous. Boorish.

Any of those words could apply to Calgary's last-minute bid to host Expo 2017. That city's bid, led by Mayor Dave Bronconnier, literally did come at the last minute.

Calgary threw its famous white hat into the ring on Friday, the last day it could express interest in hosting the event. It would have been more appropriate if they'd waved a white flag.

It came months after Edmonton declared it wanted provincial financial support for the bid to be the Canadian city that will compete worldwide to host Expo 2017.

We know Calgarians think it's the centre of the universe. It's no surprise they want to trump Edmonton in any way possible. But talk about nerve!

The attempt to horn-in by the Cowtowners on Edmonton's bid,even took a Calgary Tory cabinet minister by surprise - Culture Minister Lindsay Blackett.

Blackett didn't mince words .

"I would think that just out of respect, for one, they should have contacted the mayor of Edmonton," said Blackett, who himself first heard about the bid from the news media and who would be involved in any funding decisions.

"They should have contacted us if they're going to do it.

"I don't understand what the benefit is of putting in a last-minute deal without telling anybody."

Our southern kissing cousins came up with another ditzie doozie - Calgary and Edmonton could jointly host Expo 2017, they reckon. That's laughable.

"Edmonton's a long way in their process," said Blackett. "They've put in the time and the effort ..."

Yesterday the peeved Blackett wasn't done, saying Calgary's bid "reeks of extortion."

We're still not convinced a majority of Edmontonians want to host Expo 2017 - given its price-tag of up to $3 billion - but at the very least, this city has earned the right to get the financial backing of the province for the next step.

Back off Calgary, and be content to get your yahoos out at the only big cultural event your town puts on: the Calgary Stampede. Shoo,you varmints.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/comment/e...72196-sun.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 6:59 PM
Community Guy

^well said.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:46 PM

The "Voice of Reason":

Can't we put childish rivalry behind us?
Calgary's ploy threatens Expo bid and civic relations

Scott McKeen
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, June 05, 2009

Calgary's last-minute strategy to challenge Edmonton for Expo 2017 is beyond the pale, beyond rude and beyond belief.

The political gambit is so off-side -- so off the decency dial -- that it left dishonourable behind and entered heinous territory.

Edmonton has been openly working on its Expo bid for two years. Not a peep or courtesy call from Calgary. Then, last week, Mayor Dave Bronconnier unabashedly announces Calgary wants Expo 2017, too.

Don't mistake Edmonton's diplomatic reaction for its true feelings. Political and business leaders in the capital city are furious.

Edmonton's Expo committee spent part of the last two years reaching out to Calgary business leaders, as well as Travel Alberta, with a message of collective opportunity.

Edmonton's hope was for a provincewide win -- tours to events in other cities and towns with a tie-in to Expo, as well as Canada's 150th birthday. Edmonton's hope was for Expo visitors to experience the diversity, geography and spirit of Alberta, not just the capital city.

Edmonton's hope was to use its Expo theme, likely energy, to counter the growing international distaste for the oilsands. Edmonton's hope was to showcase Alberta as a land of great beauty and environmental leadership.

But Calgary's ploy threatens everything, especially Edmonton's spirit of reaching out to its southern sibling. It raises the question of why these two cities can't get past their childish rivalry and work together for the common good.

Calgary is Alberta's corporate and business capital, period. Edmonton is Alberta's post-secondary and research centre of excellence.

Calgary is host to a summer festival, the Stampede, known around the globe. Edmonton's summer festivals, such as the Fringe, are thriving and growing in international repute.

The cities offer diverse, but world-class, opportunities to tourists and investors alike. That is, if the two support, rather than trying to undermine each other's ambitions.

Yes, we love to hate the rival city's professional sports teams. But such partisan feelings of joy at the other city's defeat shouldn't extend into business, politics or community development.

Calgary hosted an epic event, the 1988 Winter Olympics. Edmonton's hope is to host one of its own in 2017.

The fear is that Calgary, by joining the Expo race, will scuttle Edmonton's bid. Provincial and federal politicians are only too aware of the rivalry between Edmonton and Calgary.

As was the case with the National Portrait Gallery -- both Edmonton and Calgary tried for it -- Ottawa might again decide it's more politically palatable to choose neither, rather than one or the other.

"I'm afraid we'll have a case of divide and neither conquer," said Ruth Kelly, publisher of Alberta Venture magazine, who sits on Edmonton's Expo committee.

Could that be Calgary council's hope?

Politicians couldn't be that crass, could they?

Edmonton officials are beginning to wonder, to the point where they're seeing sour-grapes conspiracies. Calgary lost its bid for Expo 2005. Maybe Calgary council will soon announce civic studies that reveal Expo 2017 isn't much of an event. Beneath Calgary's status. So knock yourself out, Edmonton.

I've heard tell of Calgary political and business leaders being jealous to the point of subverting Edmonton. Sigh. I suspect there's some truth to it.

But believe me, it's not like Edmonton is a paragon of virtue in this regard. Our jealousy of Calgary is writ into our civic consciousness, it seems.

Having said that, I'd like to believe Edmonton would only offer its public support of Calgary in chasing international events. Former mayor Bill Smith did just that when Calgary sought the 2005 Expo.

But Edmontonians need to be clear here. We must not be tempted to point the finger of blame at Calgary, nor Calgarians. The blame rests squarely with Calgary's city council -- perhaps mostly with its bombastic mayor, the man they aptly call Bronco.

Yet Calgary and Calgarians will pay the price if things go awry on Expo. The 11th-hour expression of interest has already cost them political capital at the legislature, just as it cost them goodwill in Edmonton.

Calgary can still save its honour and reputation by doing the right thing: excuse itself and back out of the Expo bidding. Throw its support behind Edmonton.

But if Calgary council continues with this dirty-tricks attempt to out-manoeuvre Edmonton, it will leave one million fellow Albertans in the capital region seething for years to come.

It will leave rivalry behind and find itself in a new territory. Enemy territory.

smckeen@thejournal.canwest.com
© The Edmonton Journal 2009

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...8c40a&sponsor=

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:47 PM

Counterpoint:

Must we tiptoe around your feelings?
This is a case of healthy competition between cities

Naomi Lakritz
Canwest News Service

Friday, June 05, 2009

So what if this city is making a last-minute pitch to host the world's fair eight years from now?

My colleague at The Journal, Scott McKeen, thinks it was rude of Calgary city council to step up -- or rather sprint up -- to the plate at the last minute. But where is it written that we were supposed to tiptoe meekly around so as not to hurt some tender feelings in Edmonton, just because that city's bid has been in the works for two years?

Is this taboo inscribed in stone, etched on some prominent boulder strategically placed along the QEII Highway between here and Edmonton?

Did a private member's bill make its way through the legislature when nobody was looking, one that states it is against the law for Calgary to do anything that might throw a few noses out of joint in Edmonton?

McKeen fears that with the two cities in the race, neither may get it. Nonsense. Are both cities so fragile that one can't gracefully concede to the other, in sportsmanlike fashion, when the winner is announced? Nor should the decision-makers deliberately send Expo 2017 elsewhere because they perceive Edmonton and Calgary as children whose self-esteem is perceived to be in grave danger if one of them wins an award while the other doesn't. We're both a lot tougher than that.

The "r" word -- rivalry -- has typically been used to describe the sometimes rocky relationship between Calgary and Edmonton. This rivalry usually takes the form of salvos of sniping: "We have the Fringe Festival and you don't." Or, "We have the Stampede. You have that pale imitation known as Capital Ex." Or: "About those Oilers ... ."

C'mon. This bid for the 2017 fair is not petty tit-for-tat rivalry. It's healthy competition. And it's not the first time Calgary and Edmonton have been engaged in competition on a large scale.

Back in 1905, in more than one editorial, the Calgary Herald vented bitterly about the fact that Edmonton had been chosen for the site of the provincial capital. The battle had been so fierce for that coveted prize that there was even a faction who, possibly afraid civil war might break out, lobbied for a happy medium by pushing Red Deer as the best location for Alberta's capital. Later, in editorials that, when re-read 100 years later, still reek of the pungent odour of sour grapes, the Herald lamented the fact that Calgary had lost out again, this time as the site chosen for the University of Alberta.

Calgary's ego suffered a bruising when these events transpired, and again when it lost the bid to host the 2005 fair that went to Nagoya, but it rebounded and moved on to other glories. The same thing will happen to the also-ran in the contest for Expo 2017.

McKeen notes that a lot of Edmonton's hopes are pinned on this bid. Some of these include the likelihood of an energy theme for Expo 2017 to temper the rising global opposition to the oilsands industry, and a chance to show the world the beauties of Alberta's mountain and prairie landscapes. Calgary can do those things equally well -- the oil companies are here, and the mountains are less than an hour's drive away.

A snarky comment could be made at this point that world fairs always endow their host cities with some legacy of iconic architecture, and lord knows Edmonton could use some of that. But this is not about trading insults. This is about the whole province sharing in the international attention and the massive tourism opportunities generated by Expo 2017, and it's about both cities being able to showcase Alberta's diversity equally well.

A century ago, when then-prime minister Sir Wilfrid Laurier was talking of visiting Edmonton to lay the cornerstone of the legislature building, the Herald wistfully hoped that Laurier would grace "this unruly conservative city" with his presence, but that if he didn't, "Calgary will join with its sister city in rejoicing over the evidence of prosperity." Exactly. That's the bottom line. May the best city win the bid for Expo 2017-- and when it does, the other will rejoice and share in its good fortune.

nlakritz@theherald.canwest.com

Copyright © 2009 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...4edfb&sponsor=

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 12:48 PM

Edmonton, Calgary vie for national honour
Alberta only province bidding for world fair

Gordon Kent
The Edmonton Journal

Friday, June 05, 2009

Expo 67 featured a number of innovative projects, including Habitat.
CREDIT: Gordon Beck, Montreal Gazette, Canwest News Service, File
Expo 67 featured a number of innovative projects, including Habitat.

The first deadline for making a bid to host Expo 2017 has passed, leaving Edmonton and Calgary as the only Canadian cities in the running.

Calgary's interest only surfaced last week, while Edmonton has been working on its proposal for more than a year. Here are some of the details:

What does Edmonton want?

The city began looking two years ago into holding a world's fair, and decided last fall that hosting the smaller "recognized" event scheduled for summer 2017 -- Canada's 150th birthday -- would make the most sense.

This three-month exposition would be a similar size to the one held last year in Zaragoza, Spain, which attracted 104 participating countries and 5.7 million visitors.

Edmonton estimates 1.2 million people would make 4.7 million trips to the site, with 70 per cent of them likely to live within a 10-hour drive.

Canada's two previous world's fairs were in a larger category, Montreal in 1967 (50.3 million visits) and Vancouver in 1986 (22 million visits).

What would Expo 2017 look like?

The site can cover a maximum of 25 hectares, or about the size of Mill Woods Town Centre.

While details of the possible bid are still being completed, one likely location is the University of Alberta's South Campus, which has an LRT station and vacant land awaiting development.

Three themes being explored for Edmonton are energy, learning and knowledge, and global migration, multiculturalism and diversity.

The theme would be presented through arts and cultural events across the city, as well as pavilions sponsored by Canada, the provinces, foreign countries, non-profit groups and companies.

How much will it cost?

Like most other details, work on this key piece of information won't be finished before the end of July.

A conceptual report last fall gave a preliminary price tag of $1.6 billion-$3 billion (2008 dollars), adding that the Edmonton Economic Development Corp. (EEDC) had calculated a $1.8-billion-$2.6- billion Alberta-wide economic impact.

Funding will have to come from all three levels of government, private sponsors and admission fees.

Producing a business case for the fair and a national bid will cost about $2.3 million.

The city has put in half that money and is waiting to hear whether the province will cover the other half as requested.

The total cost of making it all the way to an international bid is estimated at $22.5 million, although that could change as further details are completed.

Why bother?

Hosting Expo 2017 would give Edmonton international exposure that would help attract investment, tourism and skilled labour, but it would also leave a legacy that will continue to benefit the city and the province once the show is over.

The fair could bring in money from other levels of government to speed up expansion of the U of A, as well as roads, transit, housing and other improvements that are already part of long-term plans.

Potential post-Expo uses for the site include homes, a research centre or a park.

However, there are risks of rising costs, construction delays and lack of workers (Zaragoza used 40,000 volunteers). That's why the city wants to be sure it has provincial support and a good chance of winning with a viable bid before it decides whether to proceed next fall.

What has Edmonton done so far?

The conceptual report and money for the next stage of the bidding process was approved by city council last October.

Officials have gone to two general assemblies of the Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), which will choose the Expo 2017 city in 2012.

Mayor Stephen Mandel led a delegation last summer, including Aboriginal Relations Minister Gene Zwozdesky and Tory MLA Thomas Lukaszuk, which met BIE officials and visited the Zaragoza Expo.

Mandel also talked to organizers of the 2010 Shanghai Expo during a February trip to China.

Leadership on the issue is now shifting to a volunteer bid committee board being assembled under its chairman, retired Stantec CEO Tony Franceschini, and representatives so far from the city, EEDC, the U of A, and local businesses.

There are also 60 to 70 people on four subcommittees working on the theme, the site, communications and marketing, and public involvement.

Members of the public will get their say through open houses and focus groups starting later this month. A report giving details of a possible bid will go in September or October to the province, and to city council for a final decision.

How will Calgary's last-minute expression of interest affect Edmonton?

That's not clear. Although Calgary Mayor Dave Bronconnier said it might be possible for the two Alberta centres to make a collaborative bid, Mandel has ruled out the idea, saying it would be hard to present a theme and split visitors between two cities.

Both cities must apply to Canadian Heritage by Nov. 30 if they want to be Canada's Expo nominee.

gkent@thejournal.canwest.com

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...01bb7&sponsor=

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 4:48 PM
Derp

Calgary City Council is looking pretty ridiculous right now. Do they even have anything to back up their bid? Studies? Funding? A site? Like Lindsay Blackett said, this reeks of extortion. I'll be really disappointed if Edmonton ends up losing out on 2 years of hard work and effort because of this nonsense.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 4:54 PM
Community Guy

^it is interesting to note though that one of Calgary's bids will a private venture it seems.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:00 PM
Derp

Convenient that they waited til the very last minute, wouldn't you agree?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:11 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^it is interesting to note though that one of Calgary's bids will a private venture it seems.
We'll see how that washes out. Expos do typically lose money, even if they generate a lot of side benefits. I doubt it's as cut & dry as being a private venture. In fact, like the Calgary bid itself, there's probably a lot of back room dealings going on.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
恭喜发财!

Bah. Considering what Shanghai is doing for its Expo, there's no way on Earth that Calgary or Edmonton could even come close to matching it. :p

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Bah. Considering what Shanghai is doing for its Expo, there's no way on Earth that Calgary or Edmonton could even come close to matching it. :p
we won't be attempting to "match" what shanghai is doing. although sanctioned by the same body, they are not hosting the same event that we will be in edmonton:

shanghai:

International Registered Exhibition (or World Exhibition). Usually known as “Universal Expo”

Frequency: every five years
Duration: 6 months at most
Size (area): no limit
Theme: general (involving the whole range of human experience)

edmonton

International Recognised Exhibition Usually known as “International Exhibition”

Frequency: during the interval between two International Registered Exhibitions
Duration: 3 months at most
Size (area): no more than 25 hectares
Theme: specialized

the "universal expos" happen every five years in years ending in 5 and 10. "registered" exhibitions happen twice in the years between universal expos and are awarding in years that they are bid for and not years that are set.

expo 86 will be a closer "comparable" to what we should be doing although vancouver's fair ran for closer to 4 1/2 months (the rules have changed somewhat in the meantime).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 1:02 PM
Big Dog

I would be pretty pissed if the feds decided not to back either bid because they don't want to choose one city over the other. Selfish, arrogant, pompous asses! Way to go Calgary, you screwed us again!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 11:47 PM

Not trying to sound like an ass, but doesn't every city in Canada have the right to bid for this, despite the fact Edmonton's been working on this longer? If Toronto or Vancouver threw their names in the race, would you really care this much? I believe competition is a good thing! May the best bid win!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
Not trying to sound like an ass, but doesn't every city in Canada have the right to bid for this, despite the fact Edmonton's been working on this longer? If Toronto or Vancouver threw their names in the race, would you really care this much? I believe competition is a good thing! May the best bid win!
Trying to suggest this is nothing more than a 'competition' is a total mischaracterization of what has happened. No on has sugested that Calgary doesn't have the right to bid for the Expo because they clearly do. What people are angry about is how Calgary (and Council, more correctly) went about entering the race. Calgary knew about Edmonton's bid, which has been public for more than two years. Bronco could have called up Mandel to let him know we were going to submit a bid -- it's called courtesty. But if that concept is too difficult to understand, then what about calling the Minister of Culture and trying to weasel secrets about the competition's bid? Can't Calgary win the bid on its own merits? And finally, filing on the last day possible without a theme, location or any financing whatsoever would seem to sugest this is nothing more than a ploy to 'get' the same as Edmonton from the province (and kill both bids in the process if need be).

Whether you would like to admit it or not, there is a price to be paid for acting like a douche and Bronco has hurt Calgary. It is unlikely that the province will support the City's bid so late in the process and under such unpleasent circumstances, but more than that it has poisoned our relationship with the province who holds the pursestrings for all major projects. I really wish Council was a bit more honourable because at the moment it is just packed with selfish political opportunists that don't give a flip about the city...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:17 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Cgy View Post
If Toronto put in a bid it would be a very different matter. The fact that Edmonton and Calgary share a province and a rivalry makes it much more difficult (politically) for the government to choose one over the other.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
probably backed-sponsored-supported-encouraged by cal nichols and the AEG... (i dont know, but it wouldnt surprise me)
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
Trying to suggest this is nothing more than a 'competition' is a total mischaracterization of what has happened. No on has sugested that Calgary doesn't have the right to bid for the Expo because they clearly do. What people are angry about is how Calgary (and Council, more correctly) went about entering the race. Calgary knew about Edmonton's bid, which has been public for more than two years. Bronco could have called up Mandel to let him know we were going to submit a bid -- it's called courtesty. But if that concept is too difficult to understand, then what about calling the Minister of Culture and trying to weasel secrets about the competition's bid? Can't Calgary win the bid on its own merits? And finally, filing on the last day possible without a theme, location or any financing whatsoever would seem to sugest this is nothing more than a ploy to 'get' the same as Edmonton from the province (and kill both bids in the process if need be).

Whether you would like to admit it or not, there is a price to be paid for acting like a douche and Bronco has hurt Calgary. It is unlikely that the province will support the City's bid so late in the process and under such unpleasent circumstances, but more than that it has poisoned our relationship with the province who holds the pursestrings for all major projects. I really wish Council was a bit more honourable because at the moment it is just packed with selfish political opportunists that don't give a flip about the city...
The reason they put deadlines on submissions is to ensure everyone who wants to enter the race, enters by that time. Calgary, and every other city in Canada HAD the right to wait until that deadline to enter their bid. I think its wonderful that Edmonton has worked really hard on their bid, and you know what...I'm sure it will pay off for them in the end over Calgary. However, to suggest that Calgary, or any other city for that matters needs to run it by Stephen Mandel first is preposterous! Its a free country and by no means did we do anything against the rules.

As far as Lindsay Blackett is concerned...don't even get me started on that hypocrite!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2009, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
If Toronto put in a bid it would be a very different matter. The fact that Edmonton and Calgary share a province and a rivalry makes it much more difficult (politically) for the government to choose one over the other.
I can see your point in this regards!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton