HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
I don't think that what she bought is even legal.

Unless she was related or friends with the owner of the house. Then they would of just split the ownership up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
In 2004 I bought the basement suite (well, "garden" suite) of a house in Kitsilano. It was an old character house that had been stripped down, jacked up and redeveloped into two units, plus a laneway house. (This was in a Kitsilano RT-7 zone).

The legal structure was a strata corporation, just like a condo building.
it must have been something like this - it was in the east end though near the drive - i think it was an older home that had been done over in the 90's and there two units upstairs and one in the basement and were like condos - we walked past it and she said it was cute but she didn't like something about it

I said I had never heard of that before - a basement suit for sale and she said she had looked at a few of them i don't know where they all were - but they were within her budget

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 3:17 PM
loafing in lotusland

Have we got a thread for housing in Vancouver? This thread is getting quite polluted. As much as the discussion is interesting ( and as much as I TOTALLY agree with jlousa, 110% and would love to discuss this further ), it really deserves its own thread.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 6:29 AM

Keeping this thread alive!
The latest info from "Moving Forward" 2012 Supplemental Plan and Outlook
Quote:
Main Street Station Upgrades
The 2012 Supplemental Plan will provide funding for access, capacity and passenger environment
upgrades at Main Street Station. Pre-construction for these upgrades will begin in 2012, which will
include:
• an expanded east station entrance,
• escalator and elevator access to the platform at the east entrance,
• direct escalator access from the west entrance to the platform, and
• improvements within 800 meters of the station to enhance station access, subject to municipal
cost share and development or update of an area plan.
Metrotown Station Upgrades
Under the 2012 Supplemental Plan, construction of upgrades to Metrotown Station will begin in 2013
and will include:
• a new station house to serve transfer movements to a new bus exchange,
• reconfigured and expanded bus exchange immediately below the station,
• down escalators from the platform,
• expanded elevator capacity,
• elimination of the stairs between the elevated pedestrian walkway and mezzanine at the east
side of the station,
• implementation of faregates,
• realignment of BC parkway path system as it passes through station area, and
• improvements within 800m of the station to enhance station access, subject to municipal cost
share and development/update of an area plan.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 8:25 AM
ARTchitecture

There's construction going on on the south side of Royal Oak station in Burnaby. Anyone know what's going on there?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 9:29 AM

That construction is for faregates... which are technically separate from these two station rebuilds.

Given the descriptions above I assume that they've scaled back the architectural re-working of Main Street Station.... I hope the end result doesn't look too patchy. =S

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 1:22 AM

So I was talking to a TL rep the other day. He said that the Metrotown project didn't have funding, though Main was going ahead definitively. He also said to prepare for major changes at Commercial, which seemed odd as I hadn't heard of it on the books yet.

Apparently, to coincide with Evergreen's opening, TL will be adding a second passarelle and platform on the north side of the Expo Line. The rep said TL will be deconstructing a portion of the Safeway to build the platform. He noted that there are several traffic configurations that could occur re: controlling train doors and which side passengers would board for either entrance or exit.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4 View Post
So I was talking to a TL rep the other day. He said that the Metrotown project didn't have funding, though Main was going ahead definitively. He also said to prepare for major changes at Commercial, which seemed odd as I hadn't heard of it on the books yet.

Apparently, to coincide with Evergreen's opening, TL will be adding a second passarelle and platform on the north side of the Expo Line. The rep said TL will be deconstructing a portion of the Safeway to build the platform. He noted that there are several traffic configurations that could occur re: controlling train doors and which side passengers would board for either entrance or exit.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a passarelle?

Also, I'm not quite sure why the heck they would need to tear down part of the Safeway.. it's nowhere near the track alignment.

Edit: oops, I was thinking of the Burquitlam Safeway. Never mind!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:14 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Interesting. A dual platform configuration was always in the plans. Not that I don't believe you, but I'll believe it when TransLink releases RFPs/Plans =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a passarelle?
Synonym for overpass/foot-bridge.

Last edited by deasine; Feb 11, 2012 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 2:33 AM

Its in the Evergreen RFP I think

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:06 AM
testify

passarelle is a pedestrian walkway, most often suspended.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 4:10 AM

Quote:
This actually is mentioned in the "Moving Forward" 2012 Supplemental Plan and Outlook document. The station expansion is an important part of the Evergreen Line project. Without that, Commercial-Broadway station might become gridlock with the additional passenger transfer flow.

From page 25,
Quote:
Commercial-Broadway Station Phase II Upgrades
The Commercial-Broadway Station upgrade project was originally conceived as part of the Commercial-Broadway Transit Village Plan, which was completed in 2006. The station improvements are a component of the successful implementation of the Evergreen Line and will support future increases in the capacity on the rapid transit network as outlined in the Provincial Transit Plan and TransLink’s Expo Upgrade Strategy. As part of the Evergreen Line Program upgrades at this station will include:
• construction of an additional inbound platform for the Expo Line, to be added to the East side of the existing station, with associated platform access improvements to accommodate the projected increase in transfer volumes from the Evergreen Line,
• upgrading the bus waiting areas serving the station complex to include weather protection and passenger amenities, and
• construction of a pedestrian plaza adjacent to the portion of the complex south of Broadway Avenue.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 4:57 AM

transferring at commercial/broadway is quite painful during rush hours - they definately need to improve it - sounds like an extra platform could be helpful

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
transferring at commercial/broadway is quite painful during rush hours - they definately need to improve it - sounds like an extra platform could be helpful
Or spend the money, plus some more, to extend the line to Cambie

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 PM

Reporting this by jlousa in the compass card thread:

http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Docu...058%20RFP.ashx

Quote:
RFP issued for the Main St Staion upgrades. Nothing that we didn't already suspect. Completion date is set for May 2014

Quote:
3 SCOPE OF WORK3.1 The proposed improvements and Scope of Work required for the Main Street SkyTrain Upgrade Project are detailed in the drawings provided in the Reference Documents. A summary of the scope of work is included below:

3.1.1 Eastside:

3.1.1.1 Remove the existing staircase and associated structure and landscaped plaza;
3.1.1.2 Provide required hoarding to facilitate the work;
3.1.1.3 Construct a new glazed station house, which includes:
a) new staircase to the platform level
b) new up escalator to the platform level
c) new elevator to the platform level
d) CRU space within the station house
e) bike storage facility within the station house
3.1.1.4 Provide for gating and Smartcards implementation; and
3.1.1.5 Include landscaping at the concourse level.

3.1.2 Platform:

3.1.2.1 Create a new platform level at east station house, which forms the roof of structures below to accommodate new escalator, stair and elevator;
3.1.2.2 Remove existing pavers and provide floor tiles;
3.1.2.3 Provide glazing on both the north and south sides of the station;
3.1.2.4 Remove existing chain link barrier as indicated on demolition drawings; and
3.1.2.5 Include all associated lighting design as indicated.

3.1.3 Westside:

3.1.3.1 Remove existing mezzanine level, including existing stair and escalator to platform and related structure;
3.1.3.2 Remove existing entrance and stairs from Terminal Avenue;
3.1.3.3 Remove existing Starbucks retail space, and related existing other structure under the mezzanine level;
3.1.3.4 Add one staircase from concourse to platform;
3.1.3.5 Add two escalators (one up and one down) from concourse to platform;
3.1.3.6 Provide a new entrance directly off west side of Main into station concourse providing a direct visual link between the vertical circulation to the platform level and the major bus offloading and loading point;
3.1.3.7 Provide a new wide plaza entrance off Terminal Avenue into station concourse providing a direct visual link between the vertical circulation to the platform level and activity on Terminal Avenue;
3.1.3.8 Provide for gating and Smartcards implementation;
3.1.3.9 Add new retail space to replace existing space taken for Main Street entrance; and
3.1.3.10 Include landscaping at the concourse level, particularly in the area of the plaza on Terminal Avenue

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 8:45 AM
ARTchitecture

I'm currently living in Calgary, but would very much appreciate it if anyone could show us a photo update of the station renovations going on around the city! Especially would love to see the completed New Westminster station.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 5:47 AM

there are pics somewhere in another thread of what is done, metrotown and main street haven't had anything started yet and new west is still undergoing - at least when i was home in august it still had a bit to be done

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 5:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Oh okay, thanks. Have they released drawings of what metrotown and main street stations will look like when complete?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 5:57 AM

this for metrotown:

.perkinswill.com

for main street - from 2008 though

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=139672&page=7

pics from may
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...186684&page=78

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 7:02 AM

The Metrotown plan can also be found here:

http://www.bunteng.com/bunt/images/s...20Analysis.pdf

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:46 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
The Metrotown plan can also be found here:

http://www.bunteng.com/bunt/images/s...20Analysis.pdf
I find it funny how they used a map not from TransLink but something that was done for the Transit Fantasies thread. The routes don't even exist or aren't up-to-date!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure