HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 3:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick10801 View Post
I live in downtown New Rochelle- 1 diagonal block from New Roc. I have a few thoughts.
1.) The name alone, "New Roc", to me, and a lot of my neighbors, connotes a gangster hangout.
LOL...what about the "Top of the Rock" in Manhattan?

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:21 AM
low-riding

Quote:
I live in downtown New Rochelle- 1 diagonal block from New Roc. I have a few thoughts.
1.) The name alone, "New Roc", to me, and a lot of my neighbors, connotes a gangster hangout. This, unfortunately, is proving to be the case. Not only was there the "Easter" riot, but often police are called to break up fights. Parents will not allow their children to go there, supervised or not. This is hurting the downtown image even as we strive to grow it economically and socially.

2.) By introducing mid-level retail (Macy's?) we will service the residents newly moved in and planning on moving into the area vis-a-vis Trump and Avalon II. (I myself have to drive to Manhattan for underwear. Ladies I know have to do likewise for pantyhose.) So we are certainly lacking a legitimate and servicing retail sector in the area- not just downtown.

3.) Removing the impulsion to attract gangs or kids bent of the disruption of downtown city life will be accomplished by removing the arcade; but moreover, that space (and the other space from various other transition businesses at New Roc) will provide a center of retail for all of New Rochelle and surrounding communities. This will marry nicely with the requirements of the new residents, and boost downtown spendng in restaurants. I agree with Mr. Cappelli's assessment that the time to make that change is now- he knows it is necessary for his own good name and legacy.

Thanks,
Patrick

I have to disagree. You would be doing a disservice to the young community by taking away new roc. Sure there are always some bad apples that spoil it for everyone, but thats par for the course. The retail is important, on that I agree with you 100 percent but instead of replacing new roc with retail, build retail ajacent. They are 2 different clienteles so one attraction will not cannibalize the other. The lower floors of Trump Tower are built for a big box in mind. Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Bed Bath and Beyond would all thrive there. Across the street where Cappelli wants his two towers would be a great spot for a macys and some other retail as the base and the towers above. Link it by bridge to the new roc parking like trump is. But at that point the parking might be maxed out.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.yachtchartersmagazine.com/read/380041.htm

Cappelli Announces Innovative Design Concept for Purchasers in The Ritz-Carlton Tower II
First 50 Buyers of Villa or Penthouse Residences Will Receive Complimentary Architectural Services To Customize Their Own Luxury

By: PR Newswire
May. 23, 2007 02:00 PM

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., May 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Cappelli Enterprises, the region's most dynamic developer, today announced a unique and exciting program that offers the first 50 Villa or Penthouse buyers of Tower II at The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Westchester complimentary architectural services to customize their own luxury condominium residence.

The launch of this innovative program coincides with the start of the sales campaign for Tower II, a new 44-story high-rise condominium that Cappelli Enterprises is building on Main Street in the heart of downtown White Plains, one of the nation's hottest real estate locations.

"This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for 50 fortunate buyers to work closely with our world-class architectural team in custom designing a residence that is uniquely theirs. No one in this market has ever offered this kind of custom architectural design program -- but then again, no one in this market has ever built a condominium like The Residences at the Ritz-Carlton, Westchester," said Louis R. Cappelli
, President of Cappelli Enterprises. "Our buyers deserve the very best -- whether it's the Ritz-Carlton's legendary five-star service, our first-class amenities or the opportunity to design their own dream home," he added.

Mr. Cappelli said a number of buyers in Tower I expressed interest in having creative input into the design of their new home. "Now as we launch our sales campaign for Tower II, we felt this was an opportune time to offer this unique design service to some of our buyers," said Mr. Cappelli.

The opening of sales at Tower II builds on the unprecedented success of Tower I, a 44-story high-rise with 185 residences that sold out less than eight months after opening for sales. Tower I will be completed this fall with residents moving in by year-end. Also opening this fall will be The Ritz- Carlton, Westchester hotel that is flanked by the two residential towers that form the $400 million complex.

The residences at Tower II will range in size from approximately 1,100 to 2,900 square feet and offer spacious floor plans from 1-bedroom, 11/2 baths to 3-bedroom, 31/2 baths. They are priced from $727,000 to $8,000,000. The 185 luxury residences in Tower II afford the same commanding views of the Manhattan skyline, Long Island Sound and the Lower Hudson Valley region that have made Tower I so popular with today's homebuyers.

"The sales success we've enjoyed with Tower I has been very impressive. We felt strongly that the Ritz-Carlton concept in residential living would be highly successful in Westchester. While the concept is a first in the market, it has quickly been embraced by discerning buyers who understand the incredible lifestyle advantages that can only be offered by a world-class player of the status of Ritz-Carlton. This is the right product, for the right community, at the right time," said Mr. Cappelli.

Mr. Cappelli said buyers are coming from both Westchester and throughout the region, including Manhattan. "Interestingly, we have found that many younger buyers have discovered the project and appreciate the tremendous quality and Manhattan-style amenities they can gain at significantly lower prices. While we expected to attract many empty-nesters, we have been surprised at the number of young professionals who have bought residences. Many of them work in Manhattan and enjoy the convenience of being two blocks from the MetroNorth station and a half-hour train commute from Midtown," he added.

The City of White Plains is enjoying a remarkable renaissance in downtown living that began with Cappelli's Trump Tower and City Center, a downtown residential, retail and entertainment complex that opened in 2003. The re- birth of the city's downtown is now reaching new heights with The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Westchester. "It's very exciting to see the many new restaurants and night spots that continue to open," Mr. Cappelli commented. "Downtown White Plains has taken on a totally new feeling, and there's much more to come."

The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Westchester is an entirely new concept in residential living that combines the carefree convenience of a condominium with the amenities and services of a world-class hotel. Owners at The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Westchester will have exclusive access to a wide array of The Ritz-Carlton's legendary five-star amenities and services including maid service, room service, concierge, chauffeured Bentley service and luxury spa. Owners will also benefit from The Ritz-Carlton privileges around the world.

The hotel -- The Ritz-Carlton, Westchester -- featuring 123 luxury rooms will set a new standard for hotels in the market. It will feature a 10,000- square-foot luxury spa and fitness center; 10,000 square feet of meeting and special event space; and a 500-person ballroom. The hotel will also feature BLT Steak, one of Manhattan's premier restaurants, which will open a 102-seat restaurant in the two-story glass "winter garden" fronting on Main Street. BLT Steak, which is the personal stamp of acclaimed chef and restaurateur Laurent Tourondel, is scheduled to open this fall. A second restaurant offering magnificent views of Manhattan, Long Island Sound and beyond will be located on the 42nd floor of Tower I.

Cappelli Enterprises is a leading real estate developer and general contractor in the Northeast. Headquartered in Valhalla, NY, the company has built more than 10 million square feet of mixed use, retail, waterfront, residential, office building, laboratory and parking facilities. Cappelli has been the driving force behind the dramatic revival of downtown White Plains with the highly successful 1 million-square-foot City Center complex including the sold-out Trump Tower, Westchester's first luxury high-rise condominium, and now The Ritz-Carlton, Westchester hotel and The Residences at The Ritz- Carlton, Westchester. For more information about The Residences at The Ritz- Carlton, Westchester call (914) 946-9200 or visit http://www.rcresidenceswestchester.com/.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 8:14 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...44/1026/NEWS10

New Rochelle sets hearing on skyscraper heights

By KEN VALENTI
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: June 3, 2007)

NEW ROCHELLE - The city has planned a public hearing to take comment on a proposal to raise the height limit for skyscrapers, a change that may only apply to four downtown sites.

The hearing is set for 8 p.m. June 12 at City Hall, 515 North Ave.

The city is considering increasing the maximum skyscraper height allowed downtown to 575 feet, from about 450 feet now.

A new study from Simone Development Cos., which is proposing a tower for one of the sites, examined the few places where it would be possible to reach the current maximum and what the results might look like.

Such heights are off-limits on other parcels because of other zoning restrictions, such as set-back requirements on Main Street.

Simone's project, which would include a 490-foot-tall tower with 42 stories of residential space, needs zoning changes to go forward.

The height-limit
change would allow a building's occupiable floors to rise 500 feet. Another 75 feet could be allotted to elevator equipment and other mechanical space.
Similar to current practices, a builder would only be allowed to go to the maximum height at the City Council's discretion, in exchange for some public benefit, such as a new park.

"I personally think it's a wonderful thing having these tall towers in downtown," said Joseph Simone, president of Simone Development. "I think it has helped and it will continue to help put New Rochelle on the map. It's extremely visible now on the shoreline and from many, many, many areas."

Councilman Michael Boyle, who often votes against the council majority, said he was concerned about the increasing heights of downtown buildings.

"The more height you allow, the more you look like New York City," he said. "I don't think that's why people moved to the suburbs."

Developer Louis Cappelli has already asked to take advantage of the potential higher maximum height allowance, planning two towers over 500 feet tall as part of his LeCount Square project between LeCount Place and North Avenue. The two other areas where the top heights could be reached are across North Avenue at Huguenot Street, now home to several businesses, and a triangle at North Avenue along Garden Street, which is an approach to Interchange 16 of Interstate 95.

City officials have said the Garden Street block would be a difficult site for such a tall tower.

A fifth site at the Huguenot Street-North Avenue corner also sits in a zone where the height could be reached, but it is not considered a potential area for such development because it is already the home of the Kaufman Tower, also known as the K Building.

If the taller heights are allowed, Cappelli's project would include 1.15 million square feet of residences, stores, commercial spaces and hotel rooms, an increase of almost a third from his earlier plans. The City Council voted 5-2 in April to change its agreement with Cappelli to let him pursue the height increase and added space. Boyle and Councilwoman Chris Selin voted against.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 9:34 PM
low-riding

tee hee. thats awesome. i have tuesday off. perhaps i might be able to go. But my fiance has family in the new rochelle city government adn they are disturbingly conservative. i know we will be at odds with this issue.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Meanwhile, an idea of the major changes taking place in Westchester...

NY Times

VERTICALITY New Rochelle’s increasingly muscular skyline is visible not only from Long Island Sound but from neighboring towns like Larchmont.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 2:44 AM
Everywhere all at once

don't mind my asking but what is that other considerably tall building going up across downtown from trump?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
don't mind my asking but what is that other considerably tall building going up across downtown from trump?
That would be the Avalon II. The first one is behind it in the picture and much smaller.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
1.) The name alone, "New Roc", to me, and a lot of my neighbors, connotes a gangster hangout. This, unfortunately, is proving to be the case. Not only was there the "Easter" riot, but often police are called to break up fights. Parents will not allow their children to go there, supervised or not. This is hurting the downtown image even as we strive to grow it economically and socially.

2.) By introducing mid-level retail (Macy's?) we will service the residents newly moved in and planning on moving into the area vis-a-vis Trump and Avalon II. (I myself have to drive to Manhattan for underwear. Ladies I know have to do likewise for pantyhose.) So we are certainly lacking a legitimate and servicing retail sector in the area- not just downtown.

3.) Removing the impulsion to attract gangs or kids bent of the disruption of downtown city life will be accomplished by removing the arcade; but moreover, that space (and the other space from various other transition businesses at New Roc) will provide a center of retail for all of New Rochelle and surrounding communities. This will marry nicely with the requirements of the new residents, and boost downtown spendng in restaurants. I agree with Mr. Cappelli's assessment that the time to make that change is now- he knows it is necessary for his own good name and legacy.

Thanks,
Patrick
New Rochelle should stick with what works. If entertainment is making money and bringing business into downtown then they should stick with it. New Rochelle will never develop into a retail center with White Plains, Stamford and Yonkers around it… plus the city isn’t centrally located enough or a business center so the chances of any serious retail other than like a Target coming to New Rochelle is bleak.

And for the most part most of the new development in New Rochelle is geared towards attracting people who work in the city, but take the train home to New Rochelle so a lot of the people who own condos or apartments in downtown don’t even spend much time there and the northern part of the city never ventures into downtown and I remember reading a few months back that the rich area wanted to leave the city and form its own town or join Scarsdale.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2007, 1:18 PM

Trump Plaza @ New Rochelle - Any idea on what will be the retail stores that might occupy the 1st floor on the Trump Plaza. I heard from the sales management that besides NYSC, there might be a Whole Foods market and a Starbucks. Not quite sure if it hosts any upscale designer boutiques or superstores like NeimanMarcus etc. Also heard that talks were going on with Target for more than a year.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2007, 7:08 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/p...711140366/1018

Five weeks before opening the Ritz-Carlton, developer Louis Cappelli is enjoying the view from the top

Developer Louis Cappelli stands in the unfinished Restaurant 42 on the 42nd floor of the South Tower of the Ritz-Carlton in White Plains yesterday.

By KEITH EDDINGS
THE JOURNAL NEWS
November 14, 2007

WHITE PLAINS - Louis Cappelli strode across the second-floor lobby outside the ballroom in the Ritz-Carlton hotel he is about to open, turned on the comfortable gold carpet and swept his hands out from his dark blue suit and across the room.

"Remember what was here?" he asked. "The wig shop."

Actually, it was an annex to an adjoining office building that Cappelli bought and demolished along with the wig shop and a few other low-rent Main Street retailers to make way for the $600 million Ritz hotel and the 46-story condominium towers that flank it. But Cappelli had made his point: More than anyone else building in this rediscovered city, the Bronx-born developer has remade White Plains into a regional destination by investing $1 billion into a downtown of wig shops and discount stores that many had given up for dead only a few years ago.

The city will take another giant step when the 123-room hotel and Restaurant 42, as he's calling the restaurant on the 42nd floor of the south condo tower, open on Dec. 19.
Yesterday, with just five weeks to go, Cappelli was riding elevators, climbing stairs, chatting with construction crews, waving to potential buyers, scanning an onslaught of BlackBerry e-mails and speaking in classic Cappelli hype as he led a Journal News reporter and photographer through the city's next big thing.

"It's the Winter Garden of 221 Main Street," said a man who once likened the City Center mall he built across the street to Rockefeller Center, as he looked through two sun-soaked stories of glass in the BLT Steak restaurant that will anchor the south tower on Main Street. Nodding toward a cluster of steel shards shaped like 8-foot blades of grass that spring from the sidewalk outside, he asked, "What do you think of that sculpture I had built? $220,000. It's art."

Other price tags - from the cost of the artwork throughout the buildings (in all, worth "millions") to the condos (his best sale so far is for $6,995,000, but he's hoping to fetch $10 million for the penthouses) - roll off his tongue like the ages of his two children (Bryan, 23, and Caroline, 18.)

In fact, Cappelli's mind is crammed with data and details: The exterior glass elevator will travel to Restaurant 42 in 19 seconds. All but seven of the 185 units in the south tower have been sold, not including a $2.9 million apartment on the 25th floor that he closes on today. The ballroom will hold 500 people, which Cappelli said is 225 fewer than have asked for tickets to a March of Dimes fundraiser to be held in the ballroom on Dec. 20, when Cappelli will be recognized as Westchester County's developer of the year.

"What do you think of that?" he asked in mock surprise. "How's that work?"

More than 400 construction workers buzzed through the Ritz yesterday, installing the Anigre veneer walls in the lobby (4-by-8-foot panels can be purchased online for $239.99), watering the orchids, buffing the walnut floors and attending to what still is very much a work in progress. But with deadlines closing in, including one today when Ritz inspectors arrive "to make sure we're on track," Cappelli was upbeat and lightfooted as he bounded through his biggest project yet. His smile disappeared only once, when a reporter noted that besides Manhattan's skyscrapers and Long Island Sound, the view out the floor-to-ceiling windows in the south-facing condos also includes close-ups of the acres of not-very-interesting rooftops of the City Center and Galleria malls.

Cappelli put the reporter in a headlock - literally - then snapped back: "Look, you're in your kitchen, you're sitting here on your couch, you're looking out from high-rise luxury. You're not looking down."

In fact, these towers were built for their views, and the one from the 5,200-square-foot apartment on the 41st floor that Cappelli and his wife, Kylie, will occupy must be especially delicious for Westchester's biggest developer. Oh sure, you can see Long Island Sound, the Hudson River and hints of the Manhattan skyline. But other landmarks will be visible from the bathtub Cappelli is installing against a window of his giant-sized bathroom, including the Trump Parc tower he just opened in New Rochelle, the Stamford, Conn., skyline where he recently broke ground on another condo tower with Donald Trump, and, of course, the City Center towers across Main Street.

But it's not all about the view from the top of Westchester's two tallest buildings. Back on the ground in the hotel lobby, Cappelli spent a rare minute sitting still and taking in the dozens of hopefuls who were streaming through the front door to apply for jobs.

"You'll be able to sit here and have a vodka tonic and order shrimp cocktail on my Decca chairs," he said. "It's a lifestyle. It's all about the lifestyle."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive