HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:05 AM

That a "business" background is considered a prerequisite for the public office of mayor, let alone the primary qualification, is a disturbing notion. Human society is not built on business acumen! I'm more concerned about whether or not a candidate is an earnest study of the human condition and demonstrates a capacity for understanding and governance above and beyond personal experience. Let them consult "business" folks for insight where necessary. Merchants, no doubt, are a key part of a city, but one concern among many.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:14 PM
SLC Lifer

And I repeat: If you have no business sense, you have business regulating business. This, my dear friends, is why SLC sucks to do business in and why that state keeps crewing us over. If you think I'm lying, then you simply don't do business in SLC. Salt Lake City will never take that next step until it has a business person (note I didn't say the dreaded and super scary "R" word) in charge. Deedee was a business person and we have not made strides since then. Right now, SLC has enough head-tilting feeling caring people. We do need some of those, but now that's all we have. Instead of recruiting tech businesses, they are burning through YOUR CASH to the tune of $21 million, raided from various city divisions, buying old motels for TOO MUCH MONEY, so that they appear to be "doing something" about the housing crisis. Ask me how I know how this is affecting the affordable housing game. Hint: it's not good. Commence head-exploding and teeth-gnashing.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
So let’s take a little poll. Should the Mayor be re elected? Is she good for the city and development?

I can’t really make an informed decision but it sounds like we need a better advocate for the city that can work better with the different levels of government from what I’m hearing.
From an urban and city-design perspective, which is what most of us are at this forum for, SLC's mayor, council, and planning commission seem to be quite far behind other major cities in their knowledge and implementation of good principles. So I say the city needs all new everything

The city also seems so focused on being the 'alternative' to the rest of Utah that it actually ends up alienating itself and comes off as being exclusive instead of truly inclusive.

Fortunately it has too much going for it with regards to location, the U, and investments from entities like the lds church, that it'll be fine. But it could be much finer (even HOT) with better leadership.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:40 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
And I repeat: If you have no business sense, you have business regulating business. This, my dear friends, is why SLC sucks to do business in and why that state keeps crewing us over. If you think I'm lying, then you simply don't do business in SLC. Salt Lake City will never take that next step until it has a business person (note I didn't say the dreaded and super scary "R" word) in charge. Deedee was a business person and we have not made strides since then. Right now, SLC has enough head-tilting feeling caring people. We do need some of those, but now that's all we have. Instead of recruiting tech businesses, they are burning through YOUR CASH to the tune of $21 million, raided from various city divisions, buying old motels for TOO MUCH MONEY, so that they appear to be "doing something" about the housing crisis. Ask me how I know how this is affecting the affordable housing game. Hint: it's not good. Commence head-exploding and teeth-gnashing.
Oh I don't think you're lying. I just don't think you know what you're talking about. Plenty of people with business backgrounds have gone into politics and failed miserably. Our current president has been a spectacular failure despite the fact he has a rich business background. There are plenty of mayors, all the world over, who've had no business background and have been absolutely successful. Your broad brush generalizations adds no value to the conversation is all.

There are plenty of politicians, from all walks of life, who've been great at what they do and been completely awful. So, I think your statement that only people with business backgrounds should be in politics is absolutely laughable. If not a bit moronic.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
From an urban and city-design perspective, which is what most of us are at this forum for, SLC's mayor, council, and planning commission seem to be quite far behind other major cities in their knowledge and implementation of good principles. So I say the city needs all new everything

The city also seems so focused on being the 'alternative' to the rest of Utah that it actually ends up alienating itself and comes off as being exclusive instead of truly inclusive.

Fortunately it has too much going for it with regards to location, the U, and investments from entities like the lds church, that it'll be fine. But it could be much finer (even HOT) with better leadership.
Very well said. They sometimes just seem to want to ying because the rest of the state yangs. I think they still get a lot right on the principles of urban development that I feel like the city is moving forward in that direction.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Agreed. SLC is notorious for their difficulty dealing with all the bureaucracy. We have had enough cultural crusaders in office. The hard part is since SLC is such an island politically you don't get those individuals who are rising stars come through SLC. If you want to be a rising star politically in Utah, being a Democratic Mayor in SLC is a dead end.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:15 PM

Inland Port bill is signed:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...alt-lake-city/

Best part is the letter to the House and Senate.

They are to work within their groups to find ways to fix the 4 items mentioned.

Land Use decisions, Tax Revenue, Boundaries and Representation:

Quote:
In his signing message to legislative leaders, the governor asked them to work with Salt Lake City to resolve four areas of concern the city has raised on land use and taxing authority, the boundaries of the proposed port jurisdiction, and the composition of the authority board.

“In my recent meeting with both of you, we all agreed that these are legitimate concerns that we can and should address. They do not, however, rise to the level of a veto,” the governor said.

“Therefore, in signing this legislation into law, I ask you and your respective houses to study each of these issues in the interim so that I can call the legislature into special session in the coming months to modify and improve what is already a good bill for Utah’s continued growth and success.”
There will be a special session in the next few months to resolve these items in a more amicable way for SLC.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 3:21 AM

Thank you Tony. You managed to hit multiples nails on the head

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 3:52 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Thank you Tony. You managed to hit multiples nails on the head

Not really. Salt Lake has had far better mayors than Utah has had legislatures as a whole. The problem won't resolve itself even with someone who kisses the legislature's ass. The problem will only resolve itself when we elect a legislature that values the urban dynamic and not one dominated by rural and suburban interests. I'd wager the legislature we have now is more reactionist and damaging than any of the bodies other mayors in the 80s and 90s worked with. Utah's steep one-party turn in the 80s, which really solidified at the government level by the end of the 00s, has severely damaged the community as a whole.

Frankly, Deedee Corradini worked with a legislature that was more diverse than the one we have now ... at least politically. In 2000, there were 9 Democrats in the Utah State Senate and 24 in the Utah House of Representatives. Currently? There's 5 in the Senate and 13 in the House of Representatives. That's the difference. That's the problem. Despite Utah becoming more diverse, the legislature has become more monolithic over the last 20 years. Until that changes, it doesn't matter who's mayor, Salt Lake will be fucked over. And frankly, I'd rather the city not adopt the bigoted, often racist, and certainly backwards, values of the legislature just to appease their deplorable egos.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 6:17 AM

The trick is in getting the moderates and liberals, particularly young ones, who are fed up with the one-party rule in this state to come out and actually vote for their local representatives. I'm hoping that the Democratic wave that's coming this year (and it's coming, make no mistake) will trickle down into some of the more moderate areas of Utah at the state level and make up some of that lost ground.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 1:26 PM

December 7, 2017 - Best Run States Rankings - 247wallst.com

As also reported by USAToday.com - https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ted/926586001/

In the United States, the federal government is the ultimate legislative authority — wielding the power to regulate commerce, declare war, as well as establish and maintain a currency. Beyond that, however, the U.S. Constitution grants states considerable leverage in the management of their own internal affairs.

Social and economic outcomes in a given state are often the product of a range of historic circumstances, including — but not limited to — the presence of major companies or universities, natural resources, and prevailing political ideology. While some of these conditions are outside the government’s control, states have the power to plan and react to economic and social conditions through carefully crafted fiscal policies and budgetary priorities.

There is no one-size-fits-all formula for effective state governance, and in this way, no two states are exactly alike. Still, some states are managed far more proficiently than others.

For the eighth year in a row, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed economic indicators, budget allocations, and balance sheets, in addition to a range of social measures to rank how well each state is run. These are the best and worst run states in the country

1. Minnesota:
2016 Unemployment: 3.9% (13th lowest)
> Pension funded ratio: 79.8% (18th highest)
> Credit rating and outlook: Aa1/Stable
> Poverty: 9.9% (6th lowest)

Ranking as the 10th best run state as recently as 2012, Minnesota has climbed steadily in the rankings in recent years and is now the best run state in the country. A relatively wealthy state, Minnesota’s $65,599 median household income is about $8,000 more than the median income nationwide. With a strong tax base, the state brings in about $4,400 a year per resident in taxes, more than all but four other states. In Minnesota, higher tax revenue means the government can save more. The state has saved the equivalent of 10.3% of its annual spending in a rainy day fund — more than most states and greater than the 8.2% average across states.

Minnesota has a nearly perfect credit rating from Moody’s with a stable outlook.

2. Utah:

2016 Unemployment: 3.4% (8th lowest)
> Pension funded ratio: 85.7% (12th highest)
> Credit rating and outlook: Aaa/Stable
> Poverty: 10.2% (7th lowest)

Utah’s population has increased by about one-third since 2000. As Utah’s population expanded, the state has been able to achieve smart, sustainable growth. Water consumption fell by approximately 25%, largely due to increases in housing density that resulted in smaller lot sizes. Air pollution has fallen by roughly 50%, partially as the result of an extensive clean air campaign. Also, the number of vehicle miles traveled per person has remained largely unchanged due to increases in density and public transit infrastructure.

Due in part to a growing GDP, the state’s economy has easily accommodated the population influx. Utah’s economy expanded by 3.7% in 2016, nearly the fastest GDP growth among states and more than double U.S. economic growth the same year. As of 2016, just 3.4% of Utah’s workforce were unemployed, and only 10.2% of residents lived in poverty, far less than the 4.9% national unemployment and 14.0% poverty rates.

3. Iowa
> 2016 Unemployment: 3.7% (10th lowest)
> Pension funded ratio: 85.1% (13th highest)
> Credit rating and outlook: Aaa/Stable
> Poverty: 11.8% (18th lowest)

Iowa has one of the healthiest job markets in the country. Just 3.7% of the Iowa workforce were unemployed in 2016, the 10th lowest unemployment rate of any state. For the small share of residents looking for a job, Iowa has one of the most generous unemployment insurance systems of any state. Some 40% of unemployed residents in the state receive unemployment benefits, far more than the 27% national rate. Also, the average weekly UI benefit is $398, or 45% of Iowa’s average weekly wage — the fifth highest replacement rate of any state.

Iowa is also one of the most fiscally responsible states in the country. While across all states, average state government debt amounts to 52.2% of total state tax revenue, Iowa’s debt load amounts to just 26.1% — one of the smallest shares in the country. Additionally, Iowa’s rainy day funds could cover about 10% of the state’s 2018 fiscal year budget, slightly better than the average across all states.

4. Oregon
> 2016 Unemployment: 4.9% (20th highest)
> Pension funded ratio: 91.9% (6th highest)
> Poverty: 13.3% (24th highest)

Oregon lawmakers have long exemplified fiscal responsibility. The state’s pension system is 91.9% funded, the sixth largest share in the country. Oregon’s rainy day reserves could fund 10.6% of the state’s expenditure for the 2018 fiscal year, one of the larger shares nationwide. Additionally, the state’s debt amounts to just 37.2% of total tax revenue, far less than the 52.2% average debt across all states. Oregon dedicates just 1.5% of its expenditure to interest payments on its small debt load, freeing the state to allocate more money to other public services. For example, Oregon spends 37.6% of its budget on public welfare, the fourth largest share of any state.

Oregon also leads much of the nation in gender equality in political leadership. As of 2015, some 31% of Oregon legislators were female, far more than the 24% national average. Female lawmakers in the state have helped pass legislation expanding access to birth control in recent years.

5. Washington
> 2016 Unemployment: 5.4% (9th highest)
> Pension funded ratio: 87.1% (10th highest)
> Poverty: 11.3% (14th lowest)

Ensuring state residents have adequate access to health care appears to be a priority for Washington. The state allocates 6.1% of its budget to health care spending, more than all but two other states and nearly double the U.S. average, and Washington is one of the 32 states to expand its Medicaid program. Partially as a result, only 6.0% of Washingtonians are without health insurance, well below the U.S. uninsured rate of 8.6%. Social safety nets do not stop at health care in Washington. The average weekly payout for unemployment insurance beneficiaries is $425, well above the $354 average across all states.

In addition to providing health care and generous UI benefits, Washington has one of the best funded state pension systems in the country. Some 87.1% of the pension system is funded, far more than the 71.6% average across all states.

Rounding Out The Top 10 Best Run

6. Nebraska

7. North Dakota

8. Idaho

9. Colorado

10. Hawaii...

Worst Run

40. Kentucky

West Virginia

Oklahoma

Illinois

Rhode Island

New Jersey

Pennsylvania

Alabama

Mississippi

New Mexico

50. Louisiana

Additional details and methodology: Fiscal responsibility and meeting budgetary obligations are hallmark traits of the states that rank highest on this list. Many states have promised public employees more than they can afford to pay and now have woefully underfunded pension systems.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 19, 2018 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The trick is in getting the moderates and liberals, particularly young ones, who are fed up with the one-party rule in this state to come out and actually vote for their local representatives. I'm hoping that the Democratic wave that's coming this year (and it's coming, make no mistake) will trickle down into some of the more moderate areas of Utah at the state level and make up some of that lost ground.
I've been interested in tracking this and seeing if any Democratic wave is coming to Utah. Nationally a Democratic wave is most likely coming. I like this article by FiveThirtyEight that shows the sheer volume of excitement among Democrats: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...for-the-party/. Yes the article is very old, but sheds a very compelling light on Democratic enthusiasm.

The question is whether that enthusiasm will trickle down into Utah. And I think that there is at least signs of it happening. If you look at candidates who filed for Utah State House seats (https://elections.utah.gov/2018-candidate-filings), there was a D candidate in 68 of the 75 state house seats, meaning 7 R's are running essentially uncontested. While that may seem disappointing for Democrats, it is significantly better than 2016, when D's only had candidates in 53 of the 75 seats (https://ballotpedia.org/Utah_House_o...lections,_2016). In fact, I went all the way back to 2008, arguably the last time that there was this level of excitement among Democrats, and there was consistently at least 10-15 house seats that were uncontested by Dems (and generally more towards the 15 side).

So while candidates doesn't necessarily translate to more D's in the House, at least there are more D's running and a bigger chance of D's taking over more seats.

I think another important stat to keep an eye on is the number of Republicans retiring. Right now, Republicans are retiring at historic rates from the (national) House of Representatives and here in Utah Republicans are following the trend. Incumbents have lots of natural advantages, which will make it hard for R's to keep the number of seats they have with so many people retiring. Also, as some have argued, the retirements are simply a result of people seeing the writing on the wall and getting out before they loose in an embarrassing battle trying to save their seat.

As a side note, 6 of the 7 state house seats uncontested in 2018 are in Utah County.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:48 PM

I think SLC needs to reclassify the sears block from D2 to D1 now and announce that they are considering funding another Trax station. I think if they did that potential developers would look at the property differently from the beginning and we probably get more.

I think they should rezone the fleet block to D1 as well and them get rid of it.

The metro is growing and its downtown should try to keep pace.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 9:17 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
This is absolutely true. It's unfortunate Utah has become decidedly dominated by one party. It's not healthy and you're rarely going to find a state whose government body is less diverse than that of Utah. The problem is that many Utahns would vote for Hitler if he had a R next to his name. There's not many states in this country, if any at all (outside potentially Wyoming and Idaho) where the partisanship is so extreme. Even liberal states like California and Massachusetts have elected Republicans to congressional seats and as governor.

Utah's last Democratic governor was Scott Matheson. He left office in 1985. That was 32 years ago. I doubt you'll find a state that equals a stretch like that (at least currently - some of those southern states went 100 years without electing a Republican) anywhere - liberal or conservative.

That's the rub. Utah hasn't elected a Democrat to a statewide office since Jan Graham was Attorney General in the 90s.

It's ridiculous. And it isn't as if the Democrats here are left-wingers or palin' around with Nancy Pelosi. Even moderate Democrats like Ben McAdams, who by all accounts is more qualified and competent than the awful Mia Love (despite his listless campaign), face an uphill battle to win. That says a lot about the perception of the Democratic Party among Utah voters. They'd rather support a bigoted, sexist, cheating, lying amoral scum bag like Donald Trump than ever think about voting for a Democrat.

Eventually the right-wing culture wars that define the Utah legislature will die out as the state diversifies and becomes more liberal ... even if it doesn't become all that liberal. But even conservatives in places like Colorado aren't on the level of bat-shittery as Utah conservatives. You know, those pious men on capital hill who still think teaching sex ed in public schools is tantamount to supporting bestiality and that gay marriage remains affront to god (and that marijuana is a gateway drug to meth). The good news is that those men are old and they're dying off. Guys like Orrin Hatch will be gone from this earth within a decade and we won't have to worry about their reactionary ideology any longer. Let's just hope the next wave of Republicans aren't extreme and totalitarian like the current Utah GOP.

I have faith they're not. I look at guys like Spencer Cox and I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Of course, then I look at Jason Chaffetz and realize Utah is still electing assholes to congress. So, who knows?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
This is absolutely true. It's unfortunate Utah has become decidedly dominated by one party. It's not healthy and you're rarely going to find a state whose government body is less diverse than that of Utah. The problem is that many Utahns would vote for Hitler if he had a R next to his name. There's not many states in this country, if any at all (outside potentially Wyoming and Idaho) where the partisanship is so extreme. Even liberal states like California and Massachusetts have elected Republicans to congressional seats and as governor.

Utah's last Democratic governor was Scott Matheson. He left office in 1985. That was 32 years ago. I doubt you'll find a state that equals a stretch like that (at least currently - some of those southern states went 100 years without electing a Republican) anywhere - liberal or conservative.

That's the rub. Utah hasn't elected a Democrat to a statewide office since Jan Graham was Attorney General in the 90s.

It's ridiculous. And it isn't as if the Democrats here are left-wingers or palin' around with Nancy Pelosi. Even moderate Democrats like Ben McAdams, who by all accounts is more qualified and competent than the awful Mia Love (despite his listless campaign), face an uphill battle to win. That says a lot about the perception of the Democratic Party among Utah voters. They'd rather support a bigoted, sexist, cheating, lying amoral scum bag like Donald Trump than ever think about voting for a Democrat.

Eventually the right-wing culture wars that define the Utah legislature will die out as the state diversifies and becomes more liberal ... even if it doesn't become all that liberal. But even conservatives in places like Colorado aren't on the level of bat-shittery as Utah conservatives. You know, those pious men on capital hill who still think teaching sex ed in public schools is tantamount to supporting bestiality and that gay marriage remains affront to god (and that marijuana is a gateway drug to meth). The good news is that those men are old and they're dying off. Guys like Orrin Hatch will be gone from this earth within a decade and we won't have to worry about their reactionary ideology any longer. Let's just hope the next wave of Republicans aren't extreme and totalitarian like the current Utah GOP.

I have faith they're not. I look at guys like Spencer Cox and I see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Of course, then I look at Jason Chaffetz and realize Utah is still electing assholes to congress. So, who knows?
What I think needs to happen is a dramatic expansion of the legislature(the population has grown dramatically so maybe our representation should grow as well). Currently we have 29 senators(around 1 per 100k) and 75 Reps(around 1 per 40k). That might not seem that bad but both of those numbers are larger than most cities, counties, and native tribes.

I propose the Utah state senate expands to 100 members(currently 1 per 31k) and the house to 200(currently around 1 per 15k). This would make jerrymandering harder and would allow for more diverse voices to be present even if they don't get their way. Right now the legislature isn't just a majority old Mormon white dudes but it is almost exclusively so. An expansion of the legislature would make room for more than just the majority preference.

The new state senate would probably look much like the current house. The new state house would be a legislative body we haven't seen in the state.

I really do think that more representation could make the situation much better. Maybe the legislature wouldn't be living in such a vacuum if they had more colleagues that were of a different stripe.

Last edited by Liberty Wellsian; Mar 17, 2018 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 12:39 AM

Here are photo updates on a couple projects in downtown and sugarhouse.

Skyhouse Apartments

[IMG][/IMG]

Hardware Village

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Pierpoint Apartments

Foundation work is underway we will soon see it rise!
[IMG][/IMG]

Sugarmont

[IMG][/IMG]

21 by Urbania

[IMG][/IMG]

The Morton
Pouring the foundation

[IMG][/IMG]

Milagro Apartments

[IMG][/IMG]

Marriot Hotel

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:23 AM

Quote:

And NO, SLC isn't being the rebellious teenager rebelling against the rest of the state just because they want to be different. SLC is following deeply held principles that happen to be different than those of the majority of the state.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:26 AM

Quote:
I know. My nephews are too disillusioned with Republicans always winning to vote. I think there are enough people like that, that we could actually change the makeup of the legislature if they'd just vote.

Last edited by Stenar; Mar 18, 2018 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
What I think needs to happen is a dramatic expansion of the legislature(the population has grown dramatically so maybe our representation should grow as well). Currently we have 29 senators(around 1 per 100k) and 75 Reps(around 1 per 40k). That might not seem that bad but both of those numbers are larger than most cities, counties, and native tribes.

I propose the Utah state senate expands to 100 members(currently 1 per 31k) and the house to 200(currently around 1 per 15k). This would make jerrymandering harder and would allow for more diverse voices to be present even if they don't get their way. Right now the legislature isn't just a majority old Mormon white dudes but it is almost exclusively so. An expansion of the legislature would make room for more than just the majority preference.

The new state senate would probably look much like the current house. The new state house would be a legislative body we haven't seen in the state.

I really do think that more representation could make the situation much better. Maybe the legislature wouldn't be living in such a vacuum if they had more colleagues that were of a different stripe.
I think this is a good idea. 200 people seems like a good size for a legislative body.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 9:34 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
I know. My nephews are too disillusioned with Republicans always winning to vote. I think there are enough people like that, that we could actually change the makeup of the legislature if they'd just vote.
Utah has some of the worst voter turnout percentages of any state. Even in 2012, when Mitt Romney, a Mormon, ran, Utah voter turnout (in a close election, mind you) was only 55%. It was up from 2008 but you'd think turnout would've been a lot higher than that. In the midterms, it's a lot worse.

Why? Because of what you just pointed out - people don't vote because it feels as if it's already predetermined who'll win. Most my friends are left-leaning. None vote. I am literally the only one of my social circle who votes in every goddamn election. I tell them to vote. They say they will and then they don't. It's frustrating.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West