HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 5:29 PM

I love Indian food. And one of two Indian places in town has moved. Curry Village has moved from Clyde to Dresden Row, north of spring Garden....I will always remember eating there one time,
and sitting behind me was one of the most beautiful woman I have seen in my entire life.....The greasy owner would not stop harassing this lovely young lady while she was trying to eat, and he was ignoring me and everyone else in the place......so I got up and gave him a lecture in front of everyone and stormed out!!...

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:05 PM
we built this city

Anybody know where you can get really good kebab? Last time I orderded it, I didn't get the type you would find in most european cities.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 8:10 PM
we built this city

Oh, btw Barrington, do I get bonus points if I say HH? lol

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Anybody know where you can get really good kebab? Last time I orderded it, I didn't get the type you would find in most european cities.
Considering the origins of a "kebab" are Arabic, and are not native to Europe, I would give Anatolia restaurant a try, or considering that you are on a no longer "Ballin"...try Turkish Delight.....
And yes I am aware that Turkish culture is not technically Arabic, but the two cultures have been heavily influence by each other, and I think the Turks do a better job at the Kebab than the Arabs.....
for the most part.....

WARNING....

I have not eaten at either restaurant however,
and am just talking an educated guess....so I hope it works out if you go to either.....
Anitollia is supposed to be quiet desent....but like I said, Turkish Delight is probably more along the lines of your non-ballin budget now that you are no longer staking chips at one of big 5....

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Considering the origins of a "kebab" are Arabic, and are not native to Europe, I would give Anatolia restaurant a try, or considering that you are on a no longer "Ballin"...try Turkish Delight.....
And yes I am aware that Turkish culture is not technically Arabic, but the two cultures have been heavily influence by each other, and I think the Turks do a better job at the Kebab than the Arabs.....
for the most part.....

WARNING....

I have not eaten at either restaurant however,
and am just talking an educated guess....so I hope it works out if you go to either.....
Anatolia is supposed to be quiet desent....but like I said, Turkish Delight is probably more along the lines of your non-ballin budget now that you are no longer staking chips at one of big 5....
Wordly, I checked it out for you,
as I am now "Mr. spring garden"....

amongst many other things.....

DO NOT GO TO TURKISH DELIGHT!!!!

I thought because it was opened by the same people as Anatolia it would be similar,just more budjet......
WRONG...first off, they fry their Kebabs....TOTALLY WRONG, second, they appear to be using meat usually reserved for dog food....and lastly, the bloke cooking looks like an ex-garbage man

Now Anitollia....is totally authentic....cooked over charcoal embers....soooo much better....this is what u would of had in europe....that is if you had the real thing....try saving up you flow, and try it.....I give it my seal of approval.....and I know a lot about food dude

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 10:51 PM

Tareks
Hungry Chilli
Milamodo
Mezza

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:26 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Wordly, I checked it out for you,
as I am now "Mr. spring garden"....

amongst many other things.....

DO NOT GO TO TURKISH DELIGHT!!!!

I thought because it was opened by the same people as Anatolia it would be similar,just more budjet......
WRONG...first off, they fry their Kebabs....TOTALLY WRONG, second, they appear to be using meat usually reserved for dog food....and lastly, the bloke cooking looks like an ex-garbage man

Now Anitollia....is totally authentic....cooked over charcoal embers....soooo much better....this is what u would of had in europe....that is if you had the real thing....try saving up you flow, and try it.....I give it my seal of approval.....and I know a lot about food dude

Oh I am a foodie as well and what I'm looking for is more like "street meat" version, almost average donair quality, like doner kebab. The more authentic Turkish doner is usually served on a plate, but is generally the same quality as the other forms unless you go to one of the type of places you visit. When I lived in Amsterdam I lived off of the cheaper wrap or pita style (almost like the donair, except less greasy and different sauce and meatloaf) with the delicious hot sauce and garlic sauce (different from our garlic sauce).

I went into Turkish Delight and the guy didn't seem to know what I was referring to and I left. Its massive in Germany and there is a whole wikipedia article dedicated to it that includes mention of our donair form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_kebab

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 9:29 AM

Ohh a Doner Kebab as it is called in the U.K...where it also massive, as in Germany. Don't no much about fast food.....

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 9:58 PM

I read the Wiki article and every variation on this regardless of the country seems equally disgusting...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:29 AM

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the food at Shiraz (1240 Hollis Street) is great, very authentic Persian. If you like hot sauce then make sure you ask for it. The restaurant is about the size of a postage stamp, plus, the guys that run the place are too nice.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:40 AM

My favorites are Athens, the Economy Shoe Shop, Mezza, The Wooden Monkey.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:57 AM

Il Mercato is awesome along with the Keg, and Cafe Chianta.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 1:17 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggard View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but the food at Shiraz (1240 Hollis Street) is great, very authentic Persian. If you like hot sauce then make sure you ask for it. The restaurant is about the size of a postage stamp, plus, the guys that run the place are too nice.
I've always been curious about that place, thanks for the suggestion... I figured just where it was, how it looked (a little shady lookin')...that it was a front for "something" lol. Now I know, I'll have to go try!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Cafe Chianta.
Like their rabbit a lot, their Caesar salad is also descent

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 2:05 AM

My fav 5 (in no order) are.....Mosaic, Seven, Stories fine dining...(absolutely love all the exotic wild game they prepare.....and they re-invent their menu every couple of monthes).... and fiasco....I truly love high end seafood too, so my choice for that is the 5 fishermen

These are not where I do my partying, so I am not including places like the shue shop, whose scene....while not what it used to be ...I like....but who's food has become unbearable

Ohhh and just so y'all don't think I got a silver spoon up my ass, I love getting drunk at bubba ray's, watching European soccer or UFC or getting hammered on the Mustache patio on a glorious day

Man, I know some dirty ass secrets about he owner of Mezza....hehe

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 2:08 AM
we built this city

I love rabbit... deer venison is ultra baller.

Yeah, kebab is "fast food", but I wouldn't call it disgusting... I've had alot of shitty supposed cuisine (especially in Halifax).

Now Toronto and Montreal are both killin it... my friend's dad is one of the biggest chefs in Canada and has such creativity. Lobster Poutine anyone? Sounds gross but it is amazing...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=worldlyhaligonian;4369123].. deer venison is ultra baller.

QUOTE]

very true....but caribou is the best meat I have ever eaten......by a mile.....when eaten rare...it is impossibly succulent, incredibly flavorful and it's tenderness makes the finest beef grade seem like hoarse meat

Old Posted Aug 30, 2009, 11:19 PM

Got a juicy piece of gossip here!!!...
Ray Bear, the owner of the quasi-fine dinning res.

BEAR RESTAURANT

is in serious financial trouble it seems....his partner has pulled out, he owes over $500,000 to creditors and contractors.....

he is on the verge of filing for barcrupcy....

and I've noticed in the last few days he has a nice new sandwich board out front with the entire menu on it, he has started putting table and chairs on the side walk, to create as mush of a patio as possible for the location, and pulled back the curtains and opened the main doors, so people can actually tell it's an establishment....Hmmmmm......maybey he should have thought of all these tactics before....his business was about to kick the can.....i'm starting to sound like frank magazine here.....not good...

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 2:58 AM

Is that place any good at all?

Also, everyone has to find their way out to wolfville to go to actons, the food is great for fine dining, portions are excellent, and it's not to expensive to cause its so far out they dont charge as much

Old Posted Aug 31, 2009, 12:20 PM

the food is supposed to be decent, but over priced and not by any means inspirational.....one stand out item that many love is the Spicy Dragon Sushi Roll

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment