HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 7:47 PM

This library should be great if done right!! I'd love to see the park thats nearly across Slater from it be developed a bit more, into some more usable green space. Im not exactly sure what, but a bit more than an empty field.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 7:56 PM
Mooderator

Will we actually get a skyscraper out of this development, or no? They talk about 'office space' but I'm thinking it won't be that tall, even though this area is where a tall-ish development could be slipped in without much fuss (I would imagine?)

At the very least, it should be a striking building. I'll take that over height, any day.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 9:19 PM
National Capital Region

The selection of this site should strengthen Richard Eade's case for running the LRT tunnel initially under Slater from LeBreton Flats (it would be pretty much a straight line from the prospective station location just south of the current one) and then cross under this site with a station to head to an alignment further north. The station could be right under the Library - no need to worry about digging up the streets or the difficulties of mining stations out from below or anything like that. Since the station could be done by cut-and-cover (or rather, not cover) without concern of massive disruption, the tunnel could also be shallower here. What better opportunity for an integrated development than to have something like a central library go in right on top of a transit station?

There are synergies here, just on the construction side: the site has to be excavated anyway for the Library so before long it would be deep enough for the station. The mezzanine level could have a shared use of some sort with the Library. And then there's the savings from not having to mine a station out from below - it's absolutely absurd that we're going to mine out the Downtown West Station when there is a City facility going in right next to it!

Now why is it that this Library site was announced *after* Council made its decision on the tunnel alignment? It's like we're incapable of planning outside of silos.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 10:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Well, to get the design ball rolling, here are some ideas for you. The American Institute of Architects recently announced the eight recipients for the 2009 AIA/ALA Library Building Awards:

http://www.otto-otto.com/2009/03/200...uilding-awards

While some of these are very bold, I think that the Minneapolis Central Library represents about the correct mix of wow-factor and corporate Ottawa architecture. Having seen it in person, I can say that it is actually pretty impressive, with the roof projections at both ends of the building.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 10:18 PM
National Capital Region

Library site selection catches current landowners by surprise
By Peter Kovessy, Ottawa Business Journal Staff
Thu, Jun 11, 2009 12:00 PM EST
http://www.ottawabusinessjournal.com...2825190533.php

Although city officials selected the site for a new central library a year ago, two of the affected landowners said they first learned they will be forced to part with their property in the hours following Wednesday morning's official announcement.

The largest affected landowner in the city block bounded by Slater, Lyon, Bay and Albert streets, Alterna Savings, had a bit more notice and was notified late last week, company officials said.

While the city has emphasized it wants to negotiate a purchase of the properties, officials have made it clear the municipality retains the right to expropriate the land if necessary.

Following a press conference Wednesday morning, Pamela Sweet, the chairperson of the library facilities and planning committee, said the site had actually been chosen a year ago, but that library officials needed to gather more information on their space requirements before making a public announcement.

Officials apparently kept the site's selection a well-guarded secret.

"I just got wind of it (Wednesday) morning ... I wasn't aware that that was one of the sites," said Michael Fleming, of Fleming Property Management, which owns a pair of 14-unit apartment buildings on Albert Street that the company said date back to the 1930s.

"We've had them for a long time. They are really quite an urban attraction to me, they are in a nice location ... (This) is a shock to me. No one contacted me directly," he added, declining further comment until he had more information on the city's plans.

Similarly, Irene Kaczmarek, whose family has owned a three-storey rental property that currently featuring a street-level restaurant for more than 40 years, said she only learned about the situation Wednesday night.

"I am sort of surprised. I don't know how to react ... I haven't had time to think about it yet. Even if I have time to think about it, what can I do?"

Even though the announcement caught Ms. Kaczmarek off guard, she said knew someone was eventually going to want to redevelop the property, given the limited amount of available land in the downtown core.

Kimberley Ney, Alterna's senior vice-president of marketing and communications, told OBJ Wednesday the company was notified by the city late last week that is eyeing the property, still commonly known by its former name, Civil Service Co-operative Credit Society Ltd. She said it was Alterna's intention "to co-operate with the city" and that the company is "willing to talk" about selling the property.

A city report said if the company cannot be accommodated on the redeveloped site, the municipality intends to "assist in any relocation requirements."

Dave Donaldson, the city's manager of realty initiatives and development, said the nature of the "landmark" library project meant his department had to take a different approach than normal to reaching out to the affected landowners.

Typically, the realty department would be given instructions at an in-camera meeting to move forward with an acquisition and contact the landowners in question. They would then either report back at an in-camera meeting or submit comments for a public report, he said.

However, Mr. Donaldson the central library project was a unique situation, not only because of its size and significance, but because it involved the library board making a request to the city's corporate services committee to give city staff permission to begin the acquisition process.

"It was important to keep this as confidential as possible until the report was finalized (and) was on the agenda," he said, adding he was directed not to approach the landowners until the report was on the verge of being made public.

Mr. Donaldson said the city's process to acquire the library site actually involves a greater amount of information being made public in the early stages of the project.

"In this particular case ... the greater public knows in a very transparent fashion what the library board and the city are trying to do," he said.

"The intention is to negotiate in a very positive fashion with the landowners. ... We are trying to negotiate so there is a win-win for everybody."

Old Posted Jun 11, 2009, 11:16 PM
Mooderator

Pamela Sweet is the most media friendly name I've ever heard of..

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:39 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Well, to get the design ball rolling, here are some ideas for you. The American Institute of Architects recently announced the eight recipients for the 2009 AIA/ALA Library Building Awards:

http://www.otto-otto.com/2009/03/200...uilding-awards

While some of these are very bold, I think that the Minneapolis Central Library represents about the correct mix of wow-factor and corporate Ottawa architecture. Having seen it in person, I can say that it is actually pretty impressive, with the roof projections at both ends of the building.
I love the Minneapolis Central Library. Thanks for that link!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:23 AM
Closed account

The city should offer up some vacant land in the core for Alterna, or help it buy a parking lot in Centretown. Would be a shame to see employees leave the core to make way for the library when this could be a twofer. Get a new library, and get another Telus-style office building to keep downtown rejuvenating.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2p View Post
The city should offer up some vacant land in the core for Alterna, or help it buy a parking lot in Centretown. Would be a shame to see employees leave the core to make way for the library when this could be a twofer. Get a new library, and get another Telus-style office building to keep downtown rejuvenating.
There are a number of buildings downtown with empty street level spaces and plenty of towers with vacant floors. It won't be hard to find a new place for Alterna, but the question is whether or not they will choose to move out to the 'burbs in search of cheaper rent.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2p View Post
Or they could just design in some space for Alterna within the new library building. It's not a bad fit. Maybe Alterna could provide the financing for the construction?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 10:48 AM

I know that in the early-mid 90's, a 3 tower mixed use development was proposed for this site ranging from 12 to 20? floors, it was never built though...I remember reading an article about it, there were even suggestions a grocery store possibly to anchor it. Perhaps there will be buildings of similar height with the library proposal?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 1:59 PM

There are definately people at the city who have visions for this area and the visions involve some highrise architecture as seen by their escarpment plan. See anything resembling a library in those renderings?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 2:59 PM

blogged with various map links

downtown location for new central Ottawa Public Library?

Hopefully they will design it so that we will get some pedestrian traffic walking around this area - if they can integrate the nearby greenspace and get some cafes going, it would really improve this part of the city.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 5:23 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
There are definately people at the city who have visions for this area and the visions involve some highrise architecture as seen by their escarpment plan. See anything resembling a library in those renderings?
Point being?

The Technical High School plans don't affect the Library since it's on a different block but they will be clsoe.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Pamela Sweet is the most media friendly name I've ever heard of..
Pamela Sweet is a former Planning Dep't manager (with the RMOC) and now in the private sector in a consulting role.

If those stories about affected landowners are true about lack of notice about the City wanting the land, the City need to improve their consultation process. They can't just ride roughshod over valid businesses.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Point being?

The Technical High School plans don't affect the Library since it's on a different block but they will be clsoe.
That was exactly my point. I was just asking what the rendering shows on the Central Library site as I have trouble figuring out which block is the one slated for the development. An already dense urban neighbourhood about to get more dense .

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 8:10 PM
Busy Beaver

I'd like to see the site completely surrounded by tall buildings on every side but the library itself low and object-like and loose on the block, kinda like a jewel in a box. The Roy Thompson Hall in TO is a bit like this, or the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.

Maybe the air rights for this block could be sold to surrounding developers and allow them to build beyond the current height limits? That way, we get funding, and a more interesting skyline

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 4:59 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
That was exactly my point. I was just asking what the rendering shows on the Central Library site as I have trouble figuring out which block is the one slated for the development. An already dense urban neighbourhood about to get more dense .
Ah, I see. I was confused as to what exactly you were trying to say.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 2:46 AM
National Capital Region

more details available here
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...Agenda_Eng.htm

or pdfs
http://www.biblioottawalibrary.ca/ar...5/index_e.html

Quote:
It is some time in the near future. You are walking along a street in downtown Ottawa, on your way to visit the newly built Central Library. The day is clear and bright, and there’s a spring in your step. There’s been a lot of buzz since the library opened – buzz about the beautiful new urban landmark for Ottawa, buzz too about how it has already become a gathering place, a focal point in the downtown core.

You haven’t been to the new library yet, and you eagerly anticipate this voyage of discovery. You want to find out about the building – what it contains, how it works. You could have come by car and parked in the library’s underground lot. You could have come by bicycle, too, and parked in the library’s bike parking zone. Or you could have come by transit. But you are approaching on foot, the way most people will. After all, the new library is in the heart of downtown – an area full of pedestrian traffic, especially in the busy daytime office hours.

You round a corner – and there it is. The buzz was right; it is indeed a beautiful building, solid and impressive, yet light, open and inviting. You are surprised by how well you can see the building. It is set back from the street, separated from the traffic and the sidewalk by a spacious urban plaza. This distance makes it easier for you to take it all in. The plaza also gives the library presence. You realize that this is a building designed to be noticed – and admired.
The exterior plaza in front of the building is full of people. A few public servants on break are reading in the shade of a couple of trees. Over in one corner, a busker is entertaining a small group with juggling tricks. You see a group of seniors about to walk in, and a high-energy group of school-children leaving with backpacks full of books.

You see a pond in the plaza and recall hearing that in winter, it will become a skating rink. You see sculptures – one of them a dynamic work of art moving in the wind – and imagine how dramatic the plaza would look at night, all lit up. You immediately get the feeling that this plaza is a space that calls out to people, that makes them want to linger.

You take a quick glance up. The building before you has two independent but linked sections: Further back from the street is a taller building. The library has eight levels, including the ground floor. Directly on the plaza is a lower building of only four stories. Both buildings have generous windows and terraces that make them seem open and as inviting as the plaza. You can’t see them from here, but there are also three levels below grade, and an atrium and concourse linking the four-storey front building with the eight-storey main building. You stride across the exterior plaza toward the entrance. Your tour is about to begin.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 3:43 AM

More info on New Central Library from 580 CFRA:

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=65919

Central Library Vision Includes 11-storey Building
Josh Pringle
Monday, June 15, 2009

The Ottawa Public Library Board's vision for the new main library is a grand 11 storey structure at the western edge of the downtown.

Public consultations on the proposed facility kicked off with the presentation of a "functional program" to determine the needs of a new library.

The plan was developed over the last three years with Resource Planning Group.

It includes an outdoor plaza, a link to the proposed downtown transit tunnel and three underground levels.

There are also plans for 700-thousand collection items to be housed in the building, an 11-hundred seat auditorium and 800 technological stations.

The Corporate Services and Economic Development Committee approved a plan to spend $26 million for the land bounded by Albert, Bay, Lyon and Slater Streets.

The Ottawa Public Library announced last week it has chosen the site at the western edge of downtown Ottawa as the new location for the 300-thousand square foot facility.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa