HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanroo View Post
Thanks for your perspective! I love the Toronto brewery district (sorry for bashing the city in the above post, it's got a lot Edmonton can learn from) and I sure wish the Edmonton version was more than a generic strip mall! Edmonton must be one of the most isolated big cities on earth (I think Perth is the winner). Thanks for the note about the car-sharing service, Pogo. Have you had good experiences with it? Does it work? Are there usually cars available?
Why would Calgary not be as isolated as Edmonton? Or Minneapolis? Or Phoenix for that matter.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:24 AM

I love how people still believe that Edmonton is located up near the NWT even though it is only a 3 hr drive from Calgary.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Why would Calgary not be as isolated as Edmonton? Or Minneapolis? Or Phoenix for that matter.
It depends what your definition of the center of the world is. Calgary is only a 3 hour drive from Edmonton, so I guess it's not that isolated!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I love how people still believe that Edmonton is located up near the NWT even though it is only a 3 hr drive from Calgary.
In my experience, most people in America have heard of both Edmonton and Calgary but they wouldn't have a clue where to place them on a map, or which one is north and which one is south. (This is sometimes true for people out in Ontario too.) They are also surprised to find out how large each city is, and they know much much more about comparable US cities (Columbus, Indianapolis, Nashville, etc.) than they do about their Canadian counterparts.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 5:23 PM

At least Edmonton and Calgary have each other and 200 miles apart whereas the closest city to Phoenix or Las Vegaa is each other and thT distance is 300 miles and what is essentially a desert....Minneapolis has nothing.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 8:50 PM
HVAC guru

^ the perceived isolation is undeniable though, and for many of us is one of the biggest complaints about the city. We just got back from BC.. a 1500 km 16 hour round trip to our cottage to open it up from the summer. Although that place is really really is in the middle of nowhere, it's only a five hour drive north-east from Vancouver. And most of the folks who have vacation property up there (mostly Vancouverites) all seem to think that it's closer to Edmonton than Vancouver!

It's that truly awful drive west to Jasper. Boring, boring, boring. Just like the QE2. Same thing. When it takes you 3.5 hours to just get to the edge of nowhere.. the middle of nowhere feels awfully isolated

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:32 AM

You have to look at it from more than just proximity to other cities. Edmonton is 3hrs minimum from anything beyond prairie and parkland. Calgary may have us 3hrs away, but it is far closer to much more interesting scenery (and I'm not just talking about Banff) than we are. Winnipeg at least has the huge lakes which boast awesome beach towns nearby.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 4:55 PM

Urbanroo, you may want to consider Mill Creek - north of Whyte avenue and between 99 street and the Mill Creek Ravine. Lots of carless/low car living people there. You can walk to the grocery store/coffee shop/restaurants. Houses have a small yard that is easy to maintain. Quick transit downtown. Good schools in the neighborhood and tons of young urban families.

It's worth a look.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 2:41 AM

I'm back from my house-hunting trip to Edmonton and thought I'd give an update. One thing I noticed coming back to Edmonton after living in Chicago is that Edmonton isn't as flat as I remembered; the river valley is stunning and in many ways the city has done great things with it. I loved Constable Ezio Faraone Park, it's a real gem of an urban park. The 104 street corridor has come a long way and was buzzing during the fantastic farmer's market, though I was a little disappointed about how dead it was at night (on a weekday); there were a bunch of bums (but no-one else) hanging out in the Beaverhills park and on the corner of 104 street and Jasper. I was surprised, also, at how quiet Jasper Ave between 104 and 116 was around 8pm on a beautiful weekday evening...lots of people in the various restaurants and Save On Foods was packed, but no-one on the streets; I guess everyone was driving. I don't know if it's an "if you build it they will come" scenario, but Jasper Ave could really benefit from some beautification--wider and nicer sidewalks, etc. Right now it feels like you are walking next to a freeway. I think I read somewhere that there are plans for this? Those are my observations, the good and bad. I did find a really nice condo to rent on 104 street, though couldn't find anything to buy (which is what I originally intended). The problem with adult only buildings (and also no pet buildings) did get in the way and kept us out of Grandin, where I really wanted to be (closer to the river valley).

In case you are interested, I cut and past below text from a letter I wrote to the mayor about the age restrict covenants, though I'm not sure if he can do anything about it. As always, I value input from members of this board.

Dear Mayor Iveson,

[...]

I grew up in Edmonton during (what I consider to be) the dark years of Bill Smith. I left Edmonton for university and have had the opportunity, through work and study, to live in some of the world’s most dynamic urban centers: London, Paris, Osaka, San Francisco, and most recently Chicago. I have, however, always called Edmonton home and it was thus with great excitement that my young family found out we would be moving back to Edmonton this fall. Since my suburban, car-centric upbringing I have grown to value immensely the virtues of pedestrianized urban living: this is true in terms of health and recreation; the environment; finances; the prospects of small businesses; community sociability; and overall convenience and quality of life. This conviction has become even stronger as I’ve become a husband and father. I can’t think of anything more annoying than having to strap a struggling toddler into a car seat whenever we want to do groceries or go out for lunch. In addition, though I realize I might be in the minority on this point (old slogans like “Albertans love their cars” have an almost talismanic power to them, one that eludes rational thought), I find the climate and snowfall in Edmonton to be particularly ill-suited to having to drive everywhere (Scandinavia demonstrates the virtues of urban, pedestrian living in a cold climate). Why drive on ice and snow to an enormous parking lot (South Edmonton Common comes to mind) only to have to walk the same distance to a shop or restaurant than one would have to in a dense urban environment?

When we recently visited Edmonton on a house-hunting trip, we accordingly wanted to live in the downtown core or in Oliver. In particular we were attracted to the Grandin area for its high-density residential development, its leafy and salubrious streets, its proximity to the LRT and to our wonderful river valley and its many green spaces. There was, however, a recurring problem that persistently frustrated out attempts to find a home: age restrictive covenants. Despite the fact that there are very few three-bedroom condos in the city, we were happy to make do and purchase a two-bedroom condo, and we found several that we liked. One, in particular (in the Grandin Manor) we fell in love with. But in each case we were stymied by “adult only” restrictions. This is something I have never encountered in any other city. On the one hand I recognize the need for assisted living homes for the elderly, but I am totally perplexed by the fact that the majority of homes we looked at in Edmonton had restrictions against children. I find the legality of all this rather dubious, though I am not qualified professionally to comment. What I do know is that such restrictions serve to impoverish an urban community. Children are the lifeblood of any society, they are the future, they are what most people, at some point in their lives, come to value above all else. A community that prevents children from living in it is bound, literally, to be sterile. It will be a place void of any vibrancy or dynamism. Segregated cities are always the more impoverished for it: this applies to race and social class, but it also applies to age. Diversity is almost always a virtue, and if downtown Edmonton is to become a dynamic, livable community, it is vital that city leaders do everything possible to lift any sort of restriction that prevents families from living in the core of our city.

I write out of affection for Edmonton, concern for its future, and confidence that you as mayor have the vision to lead the city in the right direction. I also write to ask for information. Does the mayor and city council recognize that age-restrictive covenants are a problem? Has it investigated the problem, and if not, does it intend to do so? What resources and what policies does the city have to foster a livable, family-friendly urban environment, and more specifically, does the city have any authority to overturn existing age restrictions?

[...]

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 5:01 PM
Community Guy

Congrats on finding a place, even if temporary.

^^we simply do not have the density yet, but it is improving, although you made a good point... ^^we need to get people out of cars.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 5:08 PM

I'm going to guess that Alberta's condo legislation is a provincial matter, and not a municipal one. I would suggest you direct your message to the appropriate department of the provincial government. Just a thought.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Congrats on finding a place, even if temporary.

^^we simply do not have the density yet, but it is improving, although you made a good point... ^^we need to get people out of cars.
I agree that we can definitely work on density. At the same time, the downtown core is denser than you'd think. At least according to wikipedia, Oliver has a density of 28,810 people per square mile compared to my neighborhood in Chicago (Lakeview) at 30000 per square mile, and downtown Vancouver at 29,983 per square mile. So we have the people, they just aren't out on the street. Where are they?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I'm going to guess that Alberta's condo legislation is a provincial matter, and not a municipal one. I would suggest you direct your message to the appropriate department of the provincial government. Just a thought.
Thanks for this, I'll try the province too!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 3:49 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
I agree that we can definitely work on density. At the same time, the downtown core is denser than you'd think. At least according to wikipedia, Oliver has a density of 28,810 people per square mile compared to my neighborhood in Chicago (Lakeview) at 30000 per square mile, and downtown Vancouver at 29,983 per square mile. So we have the people, they just aren't out on the street. Where are they?
Density is one thing, but visitors and critical mass is another.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Well I can tell you from experience I know why. The 2 main streets in Oliver (Jasper Ave and 104 Ave) are not conducive to walking as they are built with the car in mind and not pedestrians. Jasper Ave is slowly changing with every new development but there is a significant amount that needs to continue along with actual street upgrades to make Jasper Ave more pedestrian friendly in this area. Therefore in many ways while the people are there they are hidden and people will drive rather than walk in the area due to the built form.

I live in Grandin near the Save on Foods and I rarely venture west, my wife and I usually head east or South and will walk along the 100 ave etc as the leafy streets are always nice for a walk. Jasper Ave west of 109 nope.

Starting from 109 heading west.

109 - 110 Street, either closed to pedestrians on one side (with retainer walls or parking lot) and developments built with car in mind to the north with many stores having the main door to the parking lot in behind rather than to the street.

110 - 111 Street, retail on both sides do not open on to street level (except 02's rest has retainer walls) and parking lot on the corner by the seniors home.

111 - 112 Street, has a hospital in behind with parking fronting onto Jasper thus creating a barrier. Other side of the street with Cactus Club patio, is much better and is always busy but there is the parking lot on the north side of the street.

112 - 113 Street is appears fairly busy on both sides of the streets on a constant basis.

113 - 114 Street has the Mac's liquor store plaza with parking fronting Jasper with the stores and the people in the back. Then you had a bank with parking fronting onto Jasper and now a vacant lot (the tower there once built will do wonders for the street level feel). The Church and Teddys on the other side are fine as Teddys does have foot traffic out front and the church is quite busy.

114 - 115 Street. Now the trouble really begins. Dealership with parking fronting onto the street thus killing any activity. Shoppers and the Office are fine but there is a vacant parking lot in between.

115 - 116 Street. Car dealership parking fronting onto Jasper on both sides of the street.

116 - 117 Street has a gas station and liquor store parking fronting onto Jasper Ave on one side and a bubble car wash on the other side of the street. Oh and another parking lot in case you were worrying about a place for people while on this block the rose bowl patio is in behind facing the street and not right onto jasper ave. I will give the newer development there credit as the dominos and Mac's parking is in behind with the stores fronting and opening onto Jasper and once again this area of the block always seems to have pedestrians on Jasper Ave.

117-118 Street - Cleaning by page, has store in behind with parking fronting onto Jasper. Rest of the block has stores that open onto the street including new development and guess what this area of Jasper always appears busy. On the other side, with Family foods closed and then parking fronting onto Jasper (Famoso Patio or On the rocks open onto the parking rather than Jasper Ave and thus pedestrians once again are hidden and all you see is cars).

118 - 119 Street - Japonais Bistro Patio and Subway open onto the parking lot rather than Jasper with the cars fronting onto Jasper Ave. Then parking lot, finally the Earls patio but again that is always busy. Other side of the street is the rexall parking.

119 - 120 Street - Illuminada always has people in front but again new development with stores opening onto the street parking is hidden, and then contruction on both sides of the street so that tends to make it a less than pleasant place to be but this will be great as the development has stores and people fronting the streets and not cars.

120 - 121 Street - North side is ok, but will be much improved with a new CNIB tower and again built with people in mind. The South side of the street however has a large parking lot fronting onto Jasper

121 - 122 Street south side is essentially buildings with no stores and set back from the road. North side is parking fronting onto Jasper with the stores in behind (Donair and Liquor store then parking lot then Planet Organic)

122 - 123 Street again the south side has no stores with the high rises set back and the construction on the north side which should improve things once done.

123 - 124 Street, same thing with the high rises lacking stores and set back from the street and on the north end the Cococo Chocolate again is in behind with the cars fronting onto the street.

I will not do 104 as that is all cars and no people in mind. The people are there but in many cases are hidden as we have put cars front an centre for most of the stretch and people and stores in behind. I don't like walking amongst parking lots and neither do most people hence the lack of people as you said. Then there is the issue with the street itself which is quite wide so you have cars whipping by and sometimes oblivious to the crosswalks in the area. The street upgrades cant happen soon enough and with continued development the area will be a real gem.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:39 PM

I must also add that I know several people who live in the area and will drive to where they want to go because its not an area to walk. Some of that is the mentality has not changed completely due to the ease of driving everywhere. In many urban areas driving someplace is a hassle, however in this stretch of Jasper Ave it appears built to drive rather than walk. However driving and getting a place to park etc on the other side can be a hassle for a quick stop at an oodle noodle for example so you walk.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:46 PM
Community Guy

^While not the world's most amazing sidewalks or public space, anyone who drives over walking is simply lazy.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
^While not the world's most amazing sidewalks or public space, anyone who drives over walking is simply lazy.
I agree, but I think its a mentality that is slowly changing. Many people are used to driving and when they move downtown continue to do so as it is normal for them and the street help in that regard.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 4:59 PM
Community Guy

Parking and traffic downtown are not usually too difficult so many choose to drive unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Parking and traffic downtown are not usually too difficult so many choose to drive unfortunately.
This council has taken out bike lanes next it will be bus lanes - after all they get intermittent use as well and interfere with car traffic. We know which Councillor has this type of "mind"set...and led the bike lane removal push behind closed doors. Once he is done with bus lane removal he can go on to burning books.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton