HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:23 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Thought some others on here would find this interesting. I stumbled across a recently-posted video on youtube with some high-quality aerial day and night drone footage of the city. The footage must be pretty recent - guessing earlier this year, because the Studio Park work near Van Andel has not started yet. The night shots especially are amazing. Go full screen for the best viewing experience. Kudos to TAPP Channel for creating and posting this.

Video Link
Sometimes GR looks like a baby Portland to my eye. The river, the bridges, some of the urban fabric, the way the highways exist in relation to downtown, and similar distance to the ocean/lake. Also: beer.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 2:47 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Sometimes GR looks like a baby Portland to my eye. The river, the bridges, some of the urban fabric, the way the highways exist in relation to downtown, and similar distance to the ocean/lake. Also: beer.
I can picture it! Good news for the Studio Park development -

Quote:
Jackson Entertainment receives state loan approval
The $5.5 million will go toward Studio Park residential development, parking deck, piazza, theater and site improvements.
Ehren Wynder | GRBJ
May 4, 2018

Jackson Entertainment recently received approval for a multimillion-dollar loan for Studio Park. According to a memo from the Michigan Economic Development Corp. to the Michigan Strategic Fund, Jackson Entertainment received approval for a Michigan Community Revitalization Program award for $5.5 million late last month...

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 3:00 AM
somewhere in-between

Not the most brilliant article title , but a neat little project nonetheless for Grand Rapids-based HexArmor -

Quote:
Manufacturer expanding operation
Justin Dawes | GRBJ
May 3, 2018

A local manufacturer of industrial personal protection equipment is investing $8.7 million in an expansion. Grand Rapids-based Performance Fabrics, or HexArmor, will be expanding to a new location at 640 Leffingwell Ave. NE in Grand Rapids, according to The Right Place yesterday. This expansion will result in the creation of 50 jobs. HexArmor has outgrown its current facility at 2000 Oak Industrial Dr. NE in Grand Rapids. The new location will allow the company room to grow...
They are planning to remodel this building. It would be quite a transformation, although I think the piece in the foreground is a new addition -

Source: GRBJ | Courtesy The Right Place

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 1:28 PM
somewhere in-between

An update on the new Amazon distribution facility planned for South Kent County. Sorry, the 'rumored / alleged / supposed' Amazon distribution facility. I don't know why the developer is still keeping quite on what seems so obvious to all -

Quote:
Gaines Township planners sign off on distribution facility linked to Amazon.com
Nick Manes | MiBiz
April 27, 2018

GAINES TOWNSHIP — A proposed “massive” distribution and warehouse facility in southern Kent County has moved one step closer to a groundbreaking. The Gaines Charter Township Planning Commission on Thursday recommended the overall development plans of “Project Rapids” move ahead to the township board. The board could approve the project at its meeting next month, according to David Riefe, senior vice president for the Midwest region of Seefried Industrial Properties Inc., the Atlanta-based development firm behind the proposed project...

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 11:40 PM
somewhere in-between

Rockford Construction announced an official name for the apartment portion of the mixed-use development going up on Bridge St. that will be anchored with an urban Meijer. The article also has some current construction progress photos -

Quote:
'The Hendrik' apartment complex named after Meijer founder
Justin P. Hicks | MLive
May 10, 2018

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- The apartment complex being constructed on the future site of Meijer's first neighborhood store on Grand Rapids' West Side will be named to honor Meijer's founder. Rockford Construction Co. announced Thursday, May 10, that the 116-unit residential property will be named "The Hendrik," as a homage to Hendrik Meijer, founder of the namesake Michigan-based supercenter and grocery store retailer...

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 1:35 AM
somewhere in-between

The rumored Amazon distribution facility planned for Gaines Township took another step forward Monday when Township officials approved the site plan. A week and a half before this, the local Planning Commission gave its recommendation for approval.

Quote:
Board grants final site plan approval for rumored Amazon distribution facility project
Logan T. Hansen
May 16, 2018

GAINES TOWNSHIP - Following a lengthy discussion about traffic implications, among other things, the Township Board voted to grant final site plan approval for a large distribution and warehouse facility being proposed in the northeast corner of the township. Rumored to be the future home of an Amazon distribution facility, the proposed planned unit development encompasses a parcel containing about 104 acres in the southwest corner of the intersection of 68th Street and Patterson Avenue...

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:31 AM
Registered Ugly

I keep coming back here hoping for info on the proposed new tallest for GR. Has that swirled down the drain?

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:56 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
I keep coming back here hoping for info on the proposed new tallest for GR. Has that swirled down the drain?
No news that I've seen. And not a peep out of Hinman. I'm still hoping for something too.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it's been publicly announced, but the discussion on U.P. is that it was reduced to 14-stories.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:24 PM

I need to get back over to Grand Rapids area, I haven't been there since I got out of the Navy Reserve. It's nice to see the city is doing well.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the atx View Post
i don't know if it's been publicly announced, but the discussion on u.p. Is that it was reduced to 14-stories.
What?!

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
What?!
14 from ?

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
14 from ?

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
ouch

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 8:00 PM

Amazon to move to GR

Seattle-based Amazon won a $4 million state grant to open a fourth fulfillment center in Michigan — this time in Gaines Township near Grand Rapids. It is the fourth grant awarded for such a warehouse in 18 months.

Amazon plans to create 1,025 full-time jobs with benefits. The site is on land owned by furniture maker Steelcase. The MEDC said Amazon chose Michigan over competing sites in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ting-1000-jobs

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 9:17 PM
Registered Ugly

Lookout, Walmart.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 12:18 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Amazon to move to GR

Seattle-based Amazon won a $4 million state grant to open a fourth fulfillment center in Michigan — this time in Gaines Township near Grand Rapids. It is the fourth grant awarded for such a warehouse in 18 months.

Amazon plans to create 1,025 full-time jobs with benefits. The site is on land owned by furniture maker Steelcase. The MEDC said Amazon chose Michigan over competing sites in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Wisconsin.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ting-1000-jobs
This $4 million incentive must have been what was holding up the official announcement that this would be an Amazon facility, at least in part. But it was fairly obvious that Amazon was behind it all.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Ya'll have some good craft beer up there? What are some of them? I wanna see if I can get my hands on some.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:38 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Ya'll have some good craft beer up there? What are some of them? I wanna see if I can get my hands on some.
Founders, for starters, will be the easiest to find. Brewery Vivant is another one. Bells is down the road in Kalamazoo, but still close enough. Just google a list and you'll find plenty.

Old Posted May 26, 2018, 3:39 PM
somewhere in-between

Information on the 201 Market proposal has been slim to none these past few months. This article gives a little more explanation as to why. I hope the stakeholders (namely, the City and the Developer) reach a favorable agreement soon and that this doesn't drag on for years. Among other things, it could mean that they run the risk of missing out on millions of dollars in brownfield incentives (the same incentives that Dan Gilbert has been capitalizing on in Detroit) -

Quote:
Grand Rapids officials target Dan Gilbert-scale tax incentive for 201 Market
Amy Biolchini | MLive
May 22, 2018

GRAND RAPIDS, MI -- Grand Rapids city officials will be following in the footsteps of Detroit mega-developer Dan Gilbert as they seek out a new type of tax incentive for the city's 201 Market redevelopment. Negotiations have been underway for seven months with bi-weekly phone calls between Grand Rapids city officials and the Indianapolis firm of Flaherty & Collins over the city's 15.8-acre riverfront property. Those talks have included discussions of what tax incentives the city can offer, said Interim City Manager Eric DeLong...

...Projects are eligible for the transformational brownfield program if the developer meets a certain threshold for investment in a community relative to its population. In Grand Rapids, a developer has to invest, at a minimum, $100 million in a project to be eligible for the program, according to the MEDC...
There is a lot at stake with these negotiations. And so far, everything has been happening behind closed doors, with even the City Commission being mostly kept in the dark. The article also says that on Tuesday, 5/22, the Commission was requested to approve a one-year extension with Jones Lang LaSalle Americas - the company that has been in charge of facilitating the whole deal. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that this will quickly resolve.

A reminder of the winning development proposal, as initially proposed by Flaherty & Collins.

Source: MLive | Courtesy | Flaherty & Collins Properties

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations