HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^I don't see the parking. I assume in that location it has parking.
I just read the report and it states that there will be 323 parking spaces for this project

http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/_pdfs/...ttachments.php

http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/_pdfs/...taffReport.pdf

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 6:35 PM

Warm Springs BART station:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 7:35 AM
heavy user of walkability

along the Caltrain line...

South San Francisco (Cadence in distance)

still not sure what this is in the foreground, just south of SSF station... (edit: apparently it is 150 Airport Blvd: 5-story residential development consisting of 157 units with a 2-level parking garage). Pinefino in background

Hayward Park/Station Park Green

and, finally some news about the plans Caltrain has for developing the parking lot you can see in the foreground of those pics. summary is that it appears Caltrain's plan would have 10-20% affordable units in their plan, and some housing advocates are threatening to sue to get the percentage higher, under the Surplus Land Act (which Caltrain says does not apply). if the suit dies,

Quote:
...a finalized deal with Sares Regis [the developer] is expected to be ready for a vote by the Caltrain board in October or November
moving south through the three grade-separation locations, this is 25th Ave, which is the only one of the three that separates an existing road

future 28th Ave (the new Hillsdale/Bay Meadows station will pass over here)

I think this is roughly where 31st Ave will be

on the other side of the tracks, a look at some of the most-recently-completed housing at Bay Meadows on the right. certainly has more character than the stuff on the left (which I think is affordable)

at San Carlos, the phase II buildings are really going up quickly

am of course happy to have the density around the station, but it almost feels like the old depot building is getting a little overshadowed. it's a distinct enough building that it would have been nice to give it a *little* space

even the southern-most building, which got going last, has made good progress

and a better look at that other substantial project a couple blocks away, view across the recently-completed parking lot

Last edited by timbad; Sep 15, 2018 at 3:54 PM. Reason: changed 'St' to 'Ave' in San Mateo

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:29 AM

September 2, 2018 - The Fields (Milpitas) Update:

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:29 AM

Proposed new mid-rise in Milpitas:

[/QUOTE]

Currently:

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:41 AM

Overall Milpitas (near BART)

September 2, 2018 Update:

(Rendering):

Around the area:

====
Adjacent BART housing projects:

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:16 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

_

Goodlord, some of these architects need to be tarred and feathered. It's like they say "we've got a dozen different facade treatments to choose from... we can't make a decision so let's just use them all." This thing looks like a mess. Has anyone stopped and contemplated how horrible this will look in 25 years?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

_

Goodlord, some of these architects need to be tarred and feathered. It's like they say "we've got a dozen different facade treatments to choose from... we can't make a decision so let's just use them all." This thing looks like a mess. Has anyone stopped and contemplated how horrible this will look in 25 years?
Agreed. It's a fairly amateur and unfortunately garish way of trying to break up the massing of the structure. Definitely not ideal and definitely not timeless.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 4:16 PM

Anyone spend time in Redwood City? I'd love to catch an update from the handful of mid-rise projects there. From what I recall there were some large mixed-use along Camino and a few close to the station.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:46 AM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

I am more offended (is that the word I am looking for?) by the tiny park in the middle of a massive housing development. Cities need more parks ffs. This one has it, but man they really don't care about it as opposed to the profit churning buildings (even those they don't put effort into their design). Modern mass development is pathetic.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
Anyone spend time in Redwood City? I'd love to catch an update from the handful of mid-rise projects there. From what I recall there were some large mixed-use along Camino and a few close to the station.
I work there, and some pages back promised an update from RWC 'soon'. I haven't forgotten, but keep seeming not to find the time. thanks for mentioning it; hopefully will spur me to action 'soon'! in the meantime, the last couple posts that included RWC were this one and this one...

Last edited by timbad; Sep 28, 2018 at 6:56 AM. Reason: added links to older RWC posts

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 2:56 PM

[QUOTE=gillynova;8320773]

Makes me lose my will to live....

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 8:44 AM

Redwood City

had some time this evening to wander around downtown Redwood City...

starting at the familiar view from the east-side Caltrain platform, looking at Box and the other, newer office building

slightly different angle. on the ground floor of Box facing the little plaza on the right in the pic is a wine bar (not really visible). on the left you can barely see that there is still one more smallish surface parking lot desperately needing filling

for those not familiar with RWC, on the west side of the station one encounters the back wall of a large stripmall with a Safeway, called 'Sequoia Station'. but there is a passageway through, and if you walk through its parking lot toward the south, you'll get to Franklin St, where the third phase of housing projects is going up. these also back up to the tracks

the street is being worked on

a shot just show the relationship of this new housing to Box

a block further west, El Camino parallels Franklin, and a large project looks to be finishing up there. looking toward Franklin from El Camino

the next large lot to the south on El Camino appears to be the next one up

and they are just getting started. a couple blocks further down...

heading back over to the east side, there are a few at-grade rail crossings

Broadway is the 'main' drag in RWC, but Main St itself has a fairly lively stretch of a couple blocks as a side branch, and on it is this project

curving over onto Broadway, the most prominent u/c building has to be 2075 Broadway

across the street you can see some of the outdoor restaurant seating that lines a stretch of that block

we've almost come full circle, looking from Broadway down a little pedestrian street back at Box

oh heck, let's walk to the end of it, it looks inviting

again with this building?

looking back toward Broadway with the previously-mentioned smallish parking lot on the left

quick detour to look at random other things that have gone up in the surrounding blocks

between these two, they have done a nice job of thinking about pedestrians in shortening what used to be a wide crossing on a street whose light traffic didnt need all that space (in the background is the county Regional Operations Center)

in the 5 mins or so that I was there, this was the only car that used this street

back at the train station, ready to go home

Last edited by timbad; Sep 30, 2018 at 9:02 PM. Reason: added link for county ROC

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:36 PM

Thanks for the pictures! I've never gone to Redwood City but it looks really nice from the pictures you take timbad

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:36 PM

Excellent pics as always, Timbad. Thanks for snapping these before jumping on the train. RWC definitely seems to be moving in the right direction with respect to density, mixed-use, and infill.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 6:27 PM

thanks, guys. I quibble about the amount of parking involved in these projects (too much), and there is still a ways to go (broad sections of downtown still feel like a hodge-podge of parking lots and one-story buildings alongside the newer stuff), but I agree, I am also generally liking the direction it's going.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 5:58 PM

South City - Phase 1 of the Gateway of the Pacific project:

life in san francisco, scott richard
by torbakhopper, on Flickr

And in other news, Kilroy has their site up for their Oyster Point development:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 12:36 AM

in San Mateo, they've begun pouring the concrete base for the berm that will hold the raised Caltrain tracks, as part of the grade-separation project around Hillsdale/Bay Meadows station. (through dirty train windows and smoky air earlier this week)

and the progress on the newest buildings of the San Carlos transit village, at the Caltrain station itself. north side of station, where two of the three buildings are quite far along...

and the one on the south side

Old Posted Nov 26, 2018, 4:34 AM

Mountain View/San Antonio updates

I've got some updates on the San Antonio neighborhood in Mountain View that is transforming a neighborhood within walking distance of Caltrain (and with the transformation, a more pleasant walk than navigating parking lots).

Starting with a picture of Los Altos' new tallest building, taken from the Mountain View side of El Camino; those flags indicate the height and area if a second building currently in the approval phase.

Next up are some pictures of Phase II of the San Antonio village development (and one of Phase I with pretty fall colors).

Development of a three-building apartment complex under construction across the street, with the tallest building reaching seven stories in height.

A brand new pedestrian crossing to link the residences with the offices. As mentioned last time, newly painted and much needed bike lanes have been added to San Antonio.

Lately, some pictures of a memorial to Shockley Labs, the birthplace of Silicon Valley that used to be on this land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations