HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
My response was prompted by the "highly segregated" comment but I am speaking in more general terms than specifically to any particular post. Generally, it seems people tend to make excuses for the number of murders rather than accepting that it's unacceptable.
I only half agree with that. I think the segregation comment is a response to people attacking Chicago saying it's all dangerous when its actually not. Also, these things are important to point out when trying to figure out the causes. If you cannot understand the communities this happens in and understand what's going on in them versus other areas, then you will not truly understand how to actually fix this.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:11 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I only half agree with that. I think the segregation comment is a response to people attacking Chicago saying it's all dangerous when its actually not. Also, these things are important to point out when trying to figure out the causes. If you cannot understand the communities this happens in and understand what's going on in them versus other areas, then you will not truly understand how to actually fix this.
I completely understand the reasoning behind using that particular excuse to dispell the stereotype of crime. I think it gets really easy to use that as a cop out especially if you live in an area of the city unaffected by crime but we should all view it as our problem. As my fellow Illini stated, the only thing that would change people's perspective of Chicago on this matter would be for Chicago to address its crime problem. I also should state, I don't think anyone has negative intentions when they try to defend Chicago in this way either.

Last edited by UPChicago; Yesterday at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
As IrishIllini stated, the only thing that would change people's perspective of Chicago on this matter, would be for Chicago to address its crime problem.
i think that kinda cuts right to the heart of the matter.

chicago's violent crime problem is overwhelmingly focused on a specific racial/socio-economic group (poor blacks), and for those of us not in that group i think there's a big giant gaping hole of not having a single fucking clue as to what needs to be done "for chicago to address its crime problem".

i think everyone in this city is rightly disgusted by chicago atrocious and persistent levels of gun violence (stretching back over a half century now), but at the same time i think there's also a lot of "fuck if i know what hell should be done about it", you know what i mean?

Old Posted Today, 1:14 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i think that kinda cuts right to the heart of the matter.

chicago's violent crime problem is overwhelmingly focused on a specific racial/socio-economic group (poor blacks), and for those of us not in that group i think there's a big giant gaping hole of not having a single fucking clue as to what needs to be done "for chicago to address its crime problem".

i think everyone in this city is rightly disgusted by chicago atrocious and persistent levels of gun violence (stretching back over a half century now), but at the same time i think there's also a lot of "fuck if i know what hell should be done about it", you know what i mean?
Absolutely agree with you, but I think the issue is that there has been no discernible effort by City leadership to even attempt to understand the problem. I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that certain areas of the City are destined to be crime-ridden, it takes efforts by the government to try to ameliorate the problem and that is where I believe we are lacking.

Old Posted Today, 1:35 AM
>~< , QED!

I mean the obvious solution is to ban handguns nationwide, that makes a bunch of rednecks feel emasculated so it won't happen any time soon.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest