HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Nice to see a condo portion included, according to the article... on what I would guess is the right tower portion. Reminds me of Toronto's River City condos... would be nice if the finishes are of the same quality:

Source

Source

I honestly think this will look great as a neighbor to and complement of the Remai Modern next door.... Our evolving modern architecture riverfront, and the skyline could certainly use some sleek black.

And looks like a shadow rendering for office next door...
Didn't the developer of River City partner with Alt on the residential in Winnipeg - The Glass House?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 11:01 PM

You're right! I guess they're called Urban Capital. Interesting connection - and sounds promising. Thanks for making that link.

http://urbancapital.ca/portfolio/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
An interesting nugget from the press release (see bolded text):
Surprising statement considering the vacancy rate for downtown and suburban office space is so high.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 11:57 PM

Nice. So what approximate height are we looking at? Est.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrolling View Post
Surprising statement considering the vacancy rate for downtown and suburban office space is so high.
It would seem that way, but there's not necessarily a direct correlation.

I don't know who the interest in the office space is coming from, but say it's a relatively stable, long-standing corporate tenant in Saskatoon who see it as a one-time opportunity to secure signature riverfront office space and for whom it simply means they're leaving their existing office space behind. In this instance, it's the existing, less current buildings that hurt more because of the vacancy rate as the new building fills with established tenants relocating. Where we have a "signature" office opportunity, the citywide vacancy rate might not matter as much - as the type of tenants it attracts aren't looking to fill the vacant odds and ends of the market anyway, they're looking to relocate to something new and shiny. (It's important to note that the old Police HQ is skewing the vacancy rate presently - it's not exactly move-in ready office space waiting for a tenant.)

Further to that, Triovest is an established office player with considerable access to capital. An office tower could take 3-4 years before it's ready for occupancy. If they secure a partial tenant and are willing to proceed with the rest on spec with a long term confidence in Saskatoon and that the timing may be just right with an upswing in the economy upon completion of the building.

Pure speculation on my part, but the quote from the Greystone rep. who singled out the office component is interesting.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Nice. So what approximate height are we looking at? Est.
My guess will be 68 metres.

Last edited by Dalreg; Jan 28, 2016 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
My guess will be 68 metres.
If you are referring to the 15-storey Alt, the height would be about 50 metres --- tops.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:41 AM

I personally don't want the project to look like the rendering at all. Not that the building isn't super nice but it looks like all 3 or 4 towers are going to be the same height and packed right tightly. Im worried (from certain angles) that it is going to just create a big 15 story wall. Blocking the rest of downtown from the river and vise-versa once completed.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Hoping to see this one under construction when I visit the city this coming Canada Day Weekend!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:43 AM

I am slightly confused. I know the city was talking about building River Landing in stages rather than all the planned buildings at once. Is this just the hotel tower in that plan, or is this an entirely new proposal? I'm also wondering if this plan has altered or gotten rid of the proposed plaza between the buildings. That would have been amazing for downtown.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:11 PM

Parcel Y hotel shows faith in Saskatoon, mayor says

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: January 27, 2016 | Last Updated: January 27, 2016 7:07 PM CST

Quote:
The partnership for a new hotel as part of a project that has been delayed for more than a decade at River Landing is “fabulous” news for Saskatoon, Mayor Don Atchison says.

Montreal-based Group Germain Hotels announced Thursday its plans for a 15-storey, 155-room Alt Hotel as part of a development at Parcel Y, a prime piece of riverfront real estate at River Landing.

A hotel-spa project for the plot of land was originally approved by city council in 2005. The project has gone through several changes and two new sets of developers since then. The current group of developers says it expects to begin the project sometime this year.

Atchison welcomed the announcement, which arrives as the province’s economy faces challenges due primarily to the drop in oil prices.

“I think it’s really tremendous,” said Atchison, a four-term mayor seeking re-election to an unprecedented fifth term in October. “I think it shows a vote of confidence in the economy of Saskatoon.”

Atchison said he expected work to begin sometime this year. He called the parties involved “very significant investors” and added he did not see any reason for residents to be skeptical this time, despite the project’s history of delays.

“The good news is that at least we’re getting started,” Atchison said Wednesday, adding that a resident had just asked him when the Parcel Y project would begin.

Group Germain is partnering with Regina-based Greystone Managed Investments Inc., Calgary-based Triovest and Saskatoon’s Victory Majors Development Corp.

Blair Sinclair, the project’s development manager with Triovest, confirmed the company hopes to start building the parkade for both the hotel and the condo tower this year, pending approval from the City of Saskatoon.

The condominium tower is expected to follow quickly after the hotel, although Sinclair hinted it might not be the 27 storeys that has been proposed.

“We’re still playing with the height of the second building,” Sinclair said in an interview.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...germain-hotels

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I am slightly confused. I know the city was talking about building River Landing in stages rather than all the planned buildings at once. Is this just the hotel tower in that plan, or is this an entirely new proposal? I'm also wondering if this plan has altered or gotten rid of the proposed plaza between the buildings. That would have been amazing for downtown.
The article I just posted above notes this is just phase one of the development of the entire site, with the public plaza still being a part of it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:26 PM

Bizarre

So why is Saskatoon's 'most valuable' piece of real estate not able to draw in any mainstream hotel chain? I had a look at Alt Hotels and while serving their market, they are definitely bare bones chic. Doesn't appear as though there will be any restaurant overlooking the river either which is a shame. And I also don't like that it is a tightly packed group of buildings which will block the skyline. Ah well, at least something other than a parking lot is going up and I guess that's good.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddStoon View Post
So why is Saskatoon's 'most valuable' piece of real estate not able to draw in any mainstream hotel chain? I had a look at Alt Hotels and while serving their market, they are definitely bare bones chic. Doesn't appear as though there will be any restaurant overlooking the river either which is a shame. And I also don't like that it is a tightly packed group of buildings which will block the skyline. Ah well, at least something other than a parking lot is going up and I guess that's good.
What is Alt if not a mainstream hotel chain? They are located in several Canadian cities (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Winnipeg, Halifax, Quebec, with locations on the way in St. John's, Calgary and now Saskatoon)... would it really make a difference if they were affiliated with Starwood instead of Groupe Germain?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 3:53 PM

I think ALT is perfect for that area. I would rather see ALT go up rather than a major chain like holiday inn (which went up a few years ago and is atrocious).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 4:12 PM

As excited as I am over this proposal and finally something happening at the site, if they entire project proceeds as the renderings indicate, it is a HUGE departure from what was a really nice plan from before. I think the plaza aspect is essential to connect to the river landing park and trail area. I know the article states the plaza is still a component, but can't see how it fits in given their current renderings.

Super happy to see the project started...just a bit anxious that it has been "downgraded" from what was expected overall.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:01 PM

Can someone post the link to the new master plan for the site or any other information with this new structure? Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread so far. Thanks

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:23 PM

I would love to see better renders if anybody has some.

If there is no restaurant in the hotel that's really a shame.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 5:50 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else count 19 floors in the portion on the right, 18 balconies on the adjoining portion and 17 floors plus roof element on the left?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperance View Post
I would love to see better renders if anybody has some.

If there is no restaurant in the hotel that's really a shame.
ALT is a boutique type hotel IIRC. They rely on surrounding amenities, like restaurants, to help keep the room rates down. As part of the larger developments, there would likely be restaurants included, I assume?

ALT Winnipeg has an ALTCETERA counter. Which has a bunch of misc food items to buy. Typical convenience store type stuff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan