HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
Much better, from a designer perspective. Colors, limited materials, etc. The top photo is likely the same floorplan of the house above that was so hiddeous. Wow, same gravel drive, concrete must be expensive?
Gravel driveways are temporary. It is paved with asphalt after a year or so.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Does anyone think that 100 years from now these urban sprawl structures will be considered historically important and will be preserved like in historic districts? Or do you think that nobody in their right mind would look at these houses and strip malls and say hey, lets stop tearing them down and preserve them? I mean, who knows, 100 years from now these structures might look beautiful to the people.
stranger things have happened

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 4:22 AM

suburbs are a depressing thing to look at

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 7:32 AM

Whoa, necro thread big time. Freaking awesome, though.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 10:48 PM

Great stuff... NOT! Hopefully the change from city to suburb will change more quickly than it is now, but I must say, seeing this change over the last few years is very promising.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2008, 9:37 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

KRUDMONK, I love your avatar pic! LOL

I don't know why some of you think that suburbia is so nasty. I grew up in the city, and I far preferred my uncle's suburban locale to my own. He has a Garden, a few animals, pretty much a mini-farm. It rocks, if you ask me. When the economy goes to shit and walmart closes, all the evil suburbanites will have to do to survive is harvest from their own gardens whilst the city folk starve.

Also, I think the houses you've shown for the most part are actually very nice-looking and will be for years to come. It looks nothing like what is being built in suburban Utahpia, though. It seems here we favor darker, rustic tuscan styles with rock stucco and rough brick or an American colonialism.
As for there being no thought put into planning subdivisions, I would highly reccommend checking out this link:Daybreak Utah

It's got a man-made lake you can go fishing in, beautiful mountain views, miles and miles of trails, schools, businesses and shops within WALKING DISTANCE, and plenty of room to roam. The ULTIMATE Suburban location.
All within twenty minutes of downtown Salt Lake City, I might add.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Does anyone think that 100 years from now these urban sprawl structures will be considered historically important and will be preserved like in historic districts? Or do you think that nobody in their right mind would look at these houses and strip malls and say hey, lets stop tearing them down and preserve them? I mean, who knows, 100 years from now these structures might look beautiful to the people.
Victorian houses were considered old and ugly in the mid 20th century and many were destroyed. I expect many suburban homes to suffer the same fate. Some of the ones that survive will probably be considered great examples of the style of their era.

I already find some suburban house designs from the 50s and 60s interesting. In many cases, the build quality on a lot of newer homes won't stand the test of time anyway. The houses where the garage sticks out prominently on the front will probably never be considered aesthetically pleasing.

House styles constantly change, and while I don't think the housing of our era is all that great, my and others' main complaint about suburbia is its haphazard and insular layout and automobile dependence.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
KRUDMONK, I love your avatar pic! LOL

I don't know why some of you think that suburbia is so nasty. I grew up in the city, and I far preferred my uncle's suburban locale to my own. He has a Garden, a few animals, pretty much a mini-farm. It rocks, if you ask me. When the economy goes to shit and walmart closes, all the evil suburbanites will have to do to survive is harvest from their own gardens whilst the city folk starve.

Also, I think the houses you've shown for the most part are actually very nice-looking and will be for years to come. It looks nothing like what is being built in suburban Utahpia, though. It seems here we favor darker, rustic tuscan styles with rock stucco and rough brick or an American colonialism.
As for there being no thought put into planning subdivisions, I would highly reccommend checking out this link:Daybreak Utah

It's got a man-made lake you can go fishing in, beautiful mountain views, miles and miles of trails, schools, businesses and shops within WALKING DISTANCE, and plenty of room to roam. The ULTIMATE Suburban location.
All within twenty minutes of downtown Salt Lake City, I might add.
I agree. I wish NYC had some suburbs like this. Our suburbs are so old and boring, we need some new developments. I actually think I can be happy in the suburbs you posted Flar.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 6:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill View Post
Looks like _______ (insert US suburb)

Good job, I felt as if I was in the Inland Empire for 5 minutes
disagree. some of the inland empire suburbs are still much more beautiful....at least the architecture and planning are. can't say much for scenery tho as the inland empire is a big valley of dirt so pick your poison

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 8:12 PM
Closed account

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
^^wow, that is hideous, what the hell is going on there.
Youve got brick, stone, stucco, prairie light windows and corinthian columns & a gravel driveway...
I thought you libs (I'm assuming you're a lib) liked diversity and multiculturalism? Don't like this house because it doesn't look like your vision of what a house should look like? Man, you're starting to sound like a... gasp... conservative!

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 2:12 AM
Never Dell

Does that mean that every aspect of taste should be respected as "diversity"?

Don't like onions on pizza? You must be against diversity!

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:24 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ It's only when you disapprove of other people having onions on their pizza that you're against diversity.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:12 AM
Motor City Mountaineer

Unfourtunately, almost every city in the World, Not just Canada and The United States are subject to this.
Nice pics, but very sad.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 2:49 PM
Resident Jackass

cool thread

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 10:43 PM

Last edited by djlx2v2; Apr 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos