HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:16 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
So here's ANOTHER reason why development is so slow in this town -- HRM actively working against it. Check this out:

http://www.thecoast.ca/Articles-i-20...ner_flubs.html

So not only do the garbage police secretly tail trucks all over HRM (what a crime buster!!!) but then they go ahead and harass the developer. Cripes.
I don't understand your problem with this - there are rules that many of us follow that add costs to development, however we follow them. If you are OK with a company hauling trash outside of the legal dump zone, would it be OK to dump it in the woods? or how about your backyard? or the ocean? Rules give all of us a level playing field. If you can't make a profit by following the rules, you shouldn't be allowed to stay in business.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 3:14 AM

Here's an update.

Is it just me or do the heights of these first few floors look a lot lower then they appear in the renders?

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 11:03 AM

While I'm not actually a big fan of the design, this project is already having good spinoff effects in the area. I heard that the garbage buildings opposite on Octerloney have been sold and are slated for new development for example.

Octerloney could become a much more important street in a few years than it ever has been traditionally.

Incidentally, anyone know where the name Octerloney comes from? Google turns up basically nothing and it seems to be a unique name with possible Irish roots.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:33 PM

The google search needed the coorect spelling for Ochterloney.

"This street was named for Superintendent Alexander Ochterloney who, in 1796, helped settle a group of 600 Jamaican immigrants on approximately 5,000 acres of Dartmouth land, purchased with funds from the Jamaican government. More information about this group of settlers known as the Maroons can be found at the Black Cultural Centre."

http://www.halifaxinfo.com/dartmouth-heritage.php

The new buildings will add to the street.It would be a shame to lose the soup kitchen on the corner. It's a nice building, and a good purpose and has been there longer than I've been in the neighborhood. JET

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:43 PM

One of those "garbage" buildings across the street is already gone. The soup kitchen building and the large blue one next to it on the Wentworth Street end of the block could go I wouldn't miss them too much, but the other two at the King Street end of that block are housing part of the Dartmouth Heritage Museum, and are beautiful buildings with a lot of history to the Dartmouth area, which should be preserved. Not sure if they're registered heritage buildings or not, but they should be.
I might take a walk around during lunch today and take a few pictures...

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 2:54 PM
Closed account

Hrmm...it seems that more people on this site than just me work in downtown Dartmouth. Interesting.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
"This street was named for Superintendent Alexander Ochterloney who, in 1796, helped settle a group of 600 Jamaican immigrants on approximately 5,000 acres of Dartmouth land, purchased with funds from the Jamaican government. More information about this group of settlers known as the Maroons can be found at the Black Cultural Centre."
Interesting thanks.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
The soup kitchen building and the large blue one next to it on the Wentworth Street end of the block could go I wouldn't miss them too much,
That blue one is crap and while the soup kitchen structure is ok, the kitchen itself needs to go completely.

Quote:
but the other two at the King Street end of that block are housing part of the Dartmouth Heritage Museum,
Those will likely not be touched and do have value. However, I would say the structures as opposed to their sites are most important so they could be relocated at some point perhaps.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 10:25 PM

Quick shot I took today from Queen Square.

They're tearing the street up too. And you can see the houses we were talking about above; the gold coloured one is the soup kitchen, the blue one is ugly as sin, but the grey one and the white one with the red roof are part of the Dartmouth Heritage Museum, and are quite attractive.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 1:13 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The brick building is also fairly new and I believe the blue condos were renovated from a commercial property (bowling alley?). The area's definitely becoming more attractive, although there's still a long way to go.

The apartment building on the Starr site is unfortunate but I'm not sure that's the end of the redevelopment. Doesn't the canal pass under that property? I think I've heard plans to uncover it in the past.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 3:33 AM

Yah, those three have all been built in the last 6 years or so. Last I heard they were still doing archaeological work on the Starr sight, but Ekistics does have a plan that I think should be constructed for a park and the daylighting of the canal there. I also remember seeing a plan a few years back with a few buildings on the end of the site. Where the bowling alley used to be.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 10:57 AM

Isn't the park plan for that piece like 4-5 years old now? If it doesn't happen then it could be a good place for a unique, maybe 5 story building. Great potential tie in with the pond and downtown.

BTW, has anyone seen the new Sullivan's Pond and Banook plan by Ekistics?

It's very much an "Ekisticsesque" plan for sure. Has some good elements as well but I was a bit dissappointed in it's emphasis on typical things like adding pavers and so on. Lacks a bit of bigger vision to me.

Old Posted May 13, 2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canopus View Post
BTW, has anyone seen the new Sullivan's Pond and Banook plan by Ekistics?
No, I haven't

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 4:07 AM

Took this from my window the other day.

It's really starting to have a big street level presence too.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 12:41 PM

The construction is now up to the 5th floor, with perhaps only the penthouse left to add. The new building on the harbourside of Founders Corner is finished (a restaurant, NECTAR, http://nectardining.com/ )
and appears ready for opening this month. JET

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:16 PM

I was going to grab a quick shot from my window today, but right now it's too foggy... maybe later if it clears.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:57 PM

I hope Nectar is a decent restaurant. It looks good in terms of the walk-by design but the downtown is in serious need of another good place.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 4:02 PM

Quote:
No, I haven't
http://www.halifax.ca/RealPropertyPl...BMP/index.html

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 1:23 PM

Quote:
I was going to grab a quick shot from my window today, but right now it's too foggy... maybe later if it clears.
Anybody have time to snap an updated photo?
Are they topped out yet?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 3:03 PM

I'll try and get one this weekend. I don't think they've quite topped out yet. It still looks like they have the penthouse level to build. They have started on the walls though. The first few floors are rigged to install the outer walls, and one of the back ones I believe has already been installed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth