HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 9:32 PM

56xx Charles Street | 3 fl. | U/C

I need to determine the exact street address for this small development, which is located on Charles Street just east of Agricola, directly behind Smith's Bakery. It is a new triple-decker currently under construction.

The notable thing is a roof feature -- skylights, perhaps, hard to say for certain -- that looks for all the world like the business end of one of Madonna's bustiers from her concert tours. Very strange.

A photograph can be found in the current issue of Frank Magazine.

Edited to add: the exact address is 5679 Charles Street.

Here is a listing for space for rent in the development, which has a drawing as well:

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-housing-c...QAdIdZ39722819

More info: I found a brochure!

http://www.avisonyoung.com/library/p...Nile_House.pdf

It is called "The Nile House" -- perhaps in honor of Cleopatra. Interesting that it uses geothermal heating and is being promoted as a green building.

Last edited by Keith P.; Mar 22, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: More info found

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is called "The Nile House" -- perhaps in honor of Cleopatra. Interesting that it uses geothermal heating and is being promoted as a green building.
Geothermal heating is great but this building uses a lot of concrete, especially for a three storey building. Concrete's about the most energy intensive material you can use.

I ran into this building a couple of weeks ago by accident and I really don't know if I like it. I'll have to wait until it's finished. It doesn't really look like much else in the city.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 2:58 AM

I've seen this building too. I like what is happening in this neck of town. Time+Space, the new building at Phonecian foods, FRED, Creative Crossing, the development for the bottle exchange..and other properties down the road. A little disappointed with how the Italian club turned out though.. it had so much potential, especially the landscaping out front.

Anyways, that sketch makes this development look like a Bourbon Street address ..kinda cool..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 5:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's hard to tell how this will turn out from the renderings and I don't know what the specific area looks like, but it's good to see more construction for this neighbourhood.

There are on the order of a dozen new buildings going up in an area of only one square kilometre or so. Some of the projects like Armoury Square and Spice are pretty substantial. Hopefully as these all add up over the next few years we'll see noticeable increases in pedestrian traffic, lots of new businesses, etc. I'd love to see Agricola and Gottingen become vibrant commercial areas.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's hard to tell how this will turn out from the renderings and I don't know what the specific area looks like, but it's good to see more construction for this neighbourhood.

There are on the order of a dozen new buildings going up in an area of only one square kilometre or so. Some of the projects like Armoury Square and Spice are pretty substantial. Hopefully as these all add up over the next few years we'll see noticeable increases in pedestrian traffic, lots of new businesses, etc. I'd love to see Agricola and Gottingen become vibrant commercial areas.
On a nice day Agricola is suprisingly busy already. Not busy like Spring Garden but a good number of people are out. There's definetly a solid base to grow from and this neighbourhood is quite exciting.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 6:29 PM

agricola

This street reminds me of what was happening to Queen street in Toronto and St. Laurent in Montreal 15 years ago. It has a great vibe that is starting to take off. A real neighborhood center is coming of age

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 8:02 PM
Salty Town

I agree, this area has so much potential. Furnitue stores, media buildings and Bistros, one could almost be on Queen St. in Toronto. Being at the edge of downtown makes the possibilities limitless. The houses here have just enough character to be restored and have new modern interiors as well. (eliminate the worst building product ever invented from this area...VINYL SIDING) A very modern structure does not seem out of place such as the Time and Space Media building on Agricola. I would like to see the Armory Building used for a community purpose such as a farmers market. The building has received the same attention as other similar Halifax buildings.....at best it is ignored and slowly over time it will be destroyed.....just look at the botched structure around it for ice, snow/runoff.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 9:04 PM

The structure around the Armoury is actually there to prevent pieces of the building that fall off from time to time from harming people who walk near it. The sandstone exterior is slowly degrading and needs repair. Agree that the wooden structure is not very appealing, and it has now been 10 years since it was first put up. While the idea of a farmers market is appealing, the lack of local parking and spots for ease of delivery for the vendors (the building has only one vehicle sized entrance) makes the idea unlikely.

Agricola is slowing coming around. Efforts to deal with the street prostitution and obvious drug use/dealing will be required before it reaches it's full potential. People like HCAP who have a vested interest in keeping things the way that they are there will also be a roadblock.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 9:52 PM

DND still uses the Halifax Armouries. I know its been opened for special events (like Mic Jagger's green room) but I have my doubts that they would want a full time or regular market in there. Especially in this age of terroism and ultra-vigilance..ahem. (eyes rolling)

Last edited by terrynorthend; Mar 31, 2008 at 2:31 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 10:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I agree that the malleability of the building stock in this area is really a strong point. There are both successful "restorations" that add period-style wooden detailing and then there are more modern looking projects that still look good.

There are definitely some problems but then again they tend to be concentrated in specific areas and a lot of the secondary effects will slowly go away as that part of the city improves.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 12:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There are definitely some problems but then again they tend to be concentrated in specific areas and a lot of the secondary effects will slowly go away as that part of the city improves.
Very specific areas, such as in front of the Liquor store, Charles St from Agricola to Gottingen (this development notwithstanding), etc. Agricola certainly shows the most potential of shedding the usual "North End" stereotypes, if it hasn't already.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 10:13 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commoner View Post
Agricola is slowing coming around. Efforts to deal with the street prostitution and obvious drug use/dealing will be required before it reaches it's full potential. People like HCAP who have a vested interest in keeping things the way that they are there will also be a roadblock.
The best policing for this area is already happening. The steady renaissance will do more for the area than the odd police drive-by. Morris St. was renowned for prostitution in the early 80's but has seen a reprive mainly due to revitalization. 70% of the area bounded by Robie-Cunard-Barrington-Young is under developed.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:56 PM

Yes... the roof breasts on that Charles St. building are really bizarre.

And the new Italian club building is a disgrace. Looks like a prison or government building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth