HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 9:19 PM

Twin Cities

According to Wikipedia, Halifax is officially twinned with four cities: Hakodate, Japan; Campeche, Mexico; Liverpool, UK; and Norfolk, VA. I knew about Hakodate and Norfolk, but had no idea Halifax was a sister city of Liverpool or Campeche. What exactly does this entail, does anyone know?

I think there are three cities that it would make great sense for Halifax to twin with: Victoria, Quebec City, and Boston..

Victoria is Halifax's counterpart on the west coast. About the same size and growing at the same rate, Victoria probably faces similar challenges (for example right now they are planning a BRT service very similar to MetroLink, and eventually an LRT). There is a lot we can learn from each other, I think.

Quebec City is to French Canada as Halifax is to English Canada. Both were major military bases for their respective colonists and Quebec even has the same kind of Citadel (or Citadelle). Halifax could undoubtedly learn a lot from Quebec City about heritage conservation and becoming official sister cities would be a great way to bury the hatchet once and for all AND might give a boost to the Quebec federalists!

Boston, again, is to New England as Halifax is to Atlantic Canada. From the typical east-coast drunken brawler stereotype to the architecture to the numerous universities in each city there are many parallels, and Boston was also the first city to come to Halifax's aid after the explosion. Like Quebec, Boston would provide a good model for heritage preservation and restoration, and is living proof that old and new architecture can easilty coexist.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 9:47 PM

I think they try to avoid having sister cities in the same country for the some reason. Victoria is far enough away to count as an other country though...

I would defenitely be pleased if Boston and Halifax were sister cities. As you stated we are similar the only difference is that Boston is a lot bigger, which could be helpful to our growth. As far as I can tell Boston is a smart city (Big Dig), and very friendly (Hfx Explosion). We could defenitely learn from Boston about architecture and urban design.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 4:00 PM
Urban Thinker

Boston is undoubtedly a fantastic city that Halifax could learn from.
I recently (summer of 2009) went on a trip to Boston and the people there seem to be interested in having high quality urban design. For example, across the street from the hotel I was staying at there was a parkade. But this one wasn't your typical metro park piece of concrete crap. This parkade was designed to fit in with the surrounding, historic neighbourhood and included street front retail. Also, the glass was mirrored so I had no idea that it was a parkade until the valet parked our car there!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 3:42 AM
we built this city

Meh, I think Boston is overrated. Lets look to europe.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2010, 6:57 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Boston is facing the same issues when it comes highrises though. If you read through some of the forums there is a lot of talk about Heritage Groups holding back or ending projects. The biggest difference is that Boston's issues are for buildings that are 30-50 storeys.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 6:21 AM
we built this city

Many cities in Europe have benefited from concessions amongst various groups moreso than the battles that are fought in Halifax and Boston. The tax structure is just better in Europe for these kinds of things, and I wish we could change our attitudes so that we can build ourselves a financial and historical capital. A more diverse cultural captial for the maritimes with a strong transportation network.

We should have a HRM, but various areas should be considered as boroughs.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2010, 6:25 PM

My understanding of the whole 'twin cities' concept is that it's more a symbolic relationship - you give each other gifts; maintain contact - not much else.

Boston would be an interesting option mainly because of the connection with the Halifax Explosion and their contributions.

As to getting ideas for urban development; I'd say you could get ideas from anywhere - not just Boston. Boston has it's good and bad examples, like any other city.

Although as far as 30 stories (or more) in Halifax; I honestly believe the day will come when it may be needed. Halifax is in a good position to benefit (if things line up right) from the offshore oil (if oil goes above $100 a barrell). I can't see many of the oil companies putting their regional offices in St. John's when the primary transportation links to the maritimes are all through Halifax. Plus with a deep harbour and good industrial backbone, the servicing industries for the rigs are already in Halifax, versus other locations. As for a post-carbon world - that I'm not sure about. Depends on what replaces oil; but if the city gets to a good size, I'm sure it would adapt. Unlike Fort McMurray, which would really struggle (since it's so based on oil).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment