HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 7:03 PM

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 8:39 PM

Public Information Meeting - Case 18809
Wed, December 11, 7pm – 9pm
697 Windmill Road, Dartmouth, NS (Dartmouth Yacht Club) (map)

Case 18809 Application by Genivar on behalf of Harbour Isle Hazelton to enter into a Development Agreement to construct 2 - 16 storey apartment buildings containing approximately 209 dwelling units including 160 apartment units and 49 townhouse units at 675 Windmilll Rd in Dartmouth.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 1:20 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Precast looks to be done, photo by me:

This image was posted on September 8th; has much more of the exterior been completed since then?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:26 PM
BUILD!

There's a lot more steel studs in the shell, as well as insulation sheets.

They've also built the outer shells of a row of townhouses at the base of the tower.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 12:07 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
There's a lot more steel studs in the shell, as well as insulation sheets.

They've also built the outer shells of a row of townhouses at the base of the tower.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully it will look good when it is finished.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:08 AM

New site rendering:

Source: Iredale Group Architechture

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:03 AM
Honored Member

It doesn't get much attention compared to developments such as King's Wharf but it will be a very substantial development if the entire site plan is completed. It is described as 10 towers and 1402 units.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It doesn't get much attention compared to developments such as King's Wharf but it will be a very substantial development if the entire site plan is completed. It is described as 10 towers and 1402 units.
This could be a really significant development, and I can certainly appreciate the allure of that waterfront location. My only hope is that this development doesn't lead to conflicts with the Burnside Industrial Park. Burnside may not be pretty, but it's an essential place for collecting those business that don't lend themselves well to "pretty", and the city has invested a lot of money in its development. I would hate to see anything jeopardize Burnside or make life difficult for its resident businesses.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
This could be a really significant development, and I can certainly appreciate the allure of that waterfront location. My only hope is that this development doesn't lead to conflicts with the Burnside Industrial Park. Burnside may not be pretty, but it's an essential place for collecting those business that don't lend themselves well to "pretty", and the city has invested a lot of money in its development. I would hate to see anything jeopardize Burnside or make life difficult for its resident businesses.
There should be little to no land-use conflict. Residential (up to 16 floors with conditions) is only allowed on the waterside of Windmill Road and only commercial/industrial is allowed within 200 feet of the thoroughfare.

I think in the long-term (say 20 years);

- Windmill Road will be widened to 7-lanes and act as a major BRT corridor.
- The waterside of Windmill will be mostly residential of varying density with the exception of the steel plant at Victoria Road.
- There will be a significant commercial node at Windmill & Wright.
- From Windmill to the railway there will be mostly commercial offices with some light industrial.
- Uphill from the railway the industrial uses will intensify and heavy industry will continue migrating outwards onto new lands.

The Chronicle Herald had an article on this development tonight and there was a new rendering released maybe for the apartment building in phase II

Source : Dartmouth Project's Next Phase Set" (November 27th, 2013) - TheChronicleHerald.ca

Construction on the Hazelton will wrap up in late spring. Once that building is substantially complete Magazine Landing Phase I will commence. Residential Phase II will start in Spring 2015.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 12:54 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

There has been many faces of this development but this has been the first one that actually built something. I love the site plan posted above. This could look awesome by 2020.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Public Information Meeting - Case 18809
Wed, December 11, 7pm – 9pm
697 Windmill Road, Dartmouth, NS (Dartmouth Yacht Club) (map)

Case 18809 Application by Genivar on behalf of Harbour Isle Hazelton to enter into a Development Agreement to construct 2 - 16 storey apartment buildings containing approximately 209 dwelling units including 160 apartment units and 49 townhouse units at 675 Windmilll Rd in Dartmouth.
Case 18809 Details

Concept Plan

- two new 16-storey apartment buildings with ground-floor townhouses
- Installation of permanent waterfront gravel trail
- Three new "blocks" created.
- 2'400 sq ft waterfront restaurant
- Land for future Windmill Road widening
- Extension of Market Place Drive to Bancroft Lane (Wright Ave)

Full Build Out Concept Plan - Harbourisle.ca

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:14 AM

So according to the Kijiji Ad I just found a luxury 1-bedroom apartment in a brand-new building in Halifax gets rented for $100/month less than I currently pay for a 1-bedroom in a 40+ year old building in Calgary.

Kijiji Ad

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
So according to the Kijiji Ad I just found a luxury 1-bedroom apartment in a brand-new building in Halifax gets rented for $100/month less than I currently pay for a 1-bedroom in a 40+ year old building in Calgary.

Kijiji Ad
God. That's less than I pay for my crappy, rundown, noisy, not-particularly centrally located, knob-and-tube firetrap in Toronto. (And I'm considered to be getting quite a bargain for this place.)

BUT: I just started looking for Hali apartments this afternoon, cooincidentally, in preparation for an imminent move, and indeed: Haligonians, the rent is not too high.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
God. That's less than I pay for my crappy, rundown, noisy, not-particularly centrally located, knob-and-tube firetrap in Toronto. (And I'm considered to be getting quite a bargain for this place.)

BUT: I just started looking for Hali apartments this afternoon, cooincidentally, in preparation for an imminent move, and indeed: Haligonians, the rent is not too high.
My place is in a convenient location but its seldom I come home and don't see a fire truck out front or CPS arresting a drug dealer or prostitute. I live across from the only payphones in the neighbourhood. Hearing people talking to their dealers with hundreds of people walking by is hilarious.

Odd coincidence I also started looking for Halifax apartments today. I got laid off for the second time in a few months and Calgary has a tendancy to kick me while I'm down so I'm trying to find a place for my puppy and I in March.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
My place is in a convenient location but its seldom I come home and don't see a fire truck out front or CPS arresting a drug dealer or prostitute. I live across from the only payphones in the neighbourhood. Hearing people talking to their dealers with hundreds of people walking by is hilarious.

Odd coincidence I also started looking for Halifax apartments today. I got laid off for the second time in a few months and Calgary has a tendancy to kick me while I'm down so I'm trying to find a place for my puppy and I in March.
So the west ISN'T always best...

All joking aside, I got laid off in Toronto about eight months ago. Got back on my feet, but it's time to move on...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:13 AM

Quote:
So the west ISN'T always best...

All joking aside, I got laid off in Toronto about eight months ago. Got back on my feet, but it's time to move on...
Well as I always say the EAST COAST IS THE RIGHT COAST.

Well hopefully your search goes well. A forum meet might be in order this spring with some of us moving back.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:26 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'd be game for that. I've never made a forum meet.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Well as I always say the EAST COAST IS THE RIGHT COAST.

Well hopefully your search goes well. A forum meet might be in order this spring with some of us moving back.
I've not even heading back--I'll be a first-time Haligonian. Moving for a relationship. Spent loads and loads of time in the city, but haven't lived there permanently.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 3:20 AM
Halifax Promoter!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 8:15 PM

Quote:
I've not even heading back--I'll be a first-time Haligonian. Moving for a relationship. Spent loads and loads of time in the city, but haven't lived there permanently.
Good luck!

I've managed to land a place in the "North Downtown" area for March 1st close to where I used to live. It's similar if not nicer than my current apartment and $200/m cheaper.

I suggest using Halifax Kijiji for apartments if you're not already. Be careful of the occasional scam but I have found every apartment I have ever lived in on the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs