HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 5:21 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I believe they've already sold the 60% percent.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:25 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
For them to supposedly break ground in December and there not be any kind of activity at the site for 4 months, it sure seems like the groundbreaking was for appearances only. For all we know, they may still be trying to reach 60% (going on one year since they started selling the units).

We were in town this past weekend and the Broadway is all boarded up in a way that seems like they are trying to hide THEIR lack of activity.
I agree with this theory...

If the place was sold out (or even sold to a level that was profitable for the developer) that tower would rise so fast our necks would snap.

Quote:
I believe they've already sold the 60% percent.
And they may have sold 60%, but it may be that the number of profitability is 75% and that's the number that they're really waiting on before they sink 10s of millions into a building.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 5:46 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

My theory is that Vidorra is right now situated in a part of the city that is very detached...Yes there is Sunset station, but to be honest there isn't a WHOLE lot of nightlife/energy/convenience to that part of town, coupled with the fact that the east side is just not very pretty....yes I think Vidorra will be a nice addition to our skyline, but it will take some time before the east side of 37 is going to be an attractive place to live IMHO. Lets take the Vistana...that was just announced like what a year to maybe a year and a half ago...and they are already doing construction on it! Vistana is in an up and coming part of downtown. Its in an area close to UTSA downtown, Houston Street, walking distance to the financial district and the riverwalk .... its in a great location!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:07 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
My theory is that Vidorra is right now situated in a part of the city that is very detached...Yes there is Sunset station, but to be honest there isn't a WHOLE lot of nightlife/energy/convenience to that part of town, coupled with the fact that the east side is just not very pretty....yes I think Vidorra will be a nice addition to our skyline, but it will take some time before the east side of 37 is going to be an attractive place to live IMHO. Lets take the Vistana...that was just announced like what a year to maybe a year and a half ago...and they are already doing construction on it! Vistana is in an up and coming part of downtown. Its in an area close to UTSA downtown, Houston Street, walking distance to the financial district and the riverwalk .... its in a great location!
I agree to a large part....

BUT I think it is important to note that the economics of making an apartment building work (or a hotel for that matter) versus the economics that drive a condo building are VERY different.

Apartments build and then lease, hotels do much the same - therefore they can go up faster, since the sooner they open the sooner they make money.

Condos have to sell first. Money is made when enough units have sold. Build too quickly and the project will bleed money...

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:35 PM

The Vistana was announced 8 months ago in August of 2006. However that is a apartment building, Vidorra is a condo highrise. Two different breeds of animal.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 6:36 PM

Isn't downtown ideal for apartment living? Why aren't there more apartment highrise projects planned?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 9:19 PM

Quote:
sirkingwilliam-Isn't downtown ideal for apartment living? Why aren't there more apartment highrise projects planned?
Look for the River North/Museum District to explode with new apartments and condos within in the next few years. In fact, KSAT 12 recently reported a new hotel/condo was in the works for a vacant lot in this district. I didn't catch the location but it appears to be near Pearl Brewery.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 12:53 AM

Just got back from downtown, dropped off some friends who wanted to watch the parade, and drove by the Vidorra site. The entire site has been cleared, so much has progressed at Vidorra so that's looking good. Also, never noticed that the building at the northwest corner of Houston St. and Alamo Plaza was being turned into a Hotel Indigo. Cool.

Finally, does anyone know what the 6-story building at Hackberry Ave. and Nolan St. across from Dignowity Park is going to be? It look renovated and very nice. Actually, there's a small pocket in that area that seems to be on track to becoming a quasi King William like neighborhood, with the homes and streets having that feel, I saw atleast half a dozen homes under renovation, really nice homes next to homes that either have just been renovated or were renovated within the past few years. So that area is shaping up nicely.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Look for the River North/Museum District to explode with new apartments and condos within in the next few years. In fact, KSAT 12 recently reported a new hotel/condo was in the works for a vacant lot in this district. I didn't catch the location but it appears to be near Pearl Brewery.
Any new information on this one? By the way, when by the Hotel Indigo building and construction was still going on.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 7:49 AM

estimated 250,000 at the river parade tonight...I was dissapointed with the floats though.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 1:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Ya, a friend of mine had a fire escape party at the Exchange Building and we watched from there...

The floats (that really float) were what they were...it was the number of people who showed up that impressed me.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Are you sure it was KSAT? I contacted KSAT and they have no information pretaining to a hotel/condo development in the River North district.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:43 AM

I'm postive it was KSAT 12. It was aired last week if not the week before.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I'm postive it was KSAT 12. It was aired last week if not the week before.
Did they say how tall it is supposed to be.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 3:28 AM
Endless Moments...

I was downtown today (in San Antonio). For some updates, there is a crane, its a Y crane, at the marriott site. The Hyatt is on floor 14. It already has some good height to it. I have some pics,that i will post, i just need to recover from the past 2 days.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 3:35 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
I was downtown today (in San Antonio). For some updates, there is a crane, its a Y crane, at the marriott site. The Hyatt is on floor 14. It already has some good height to it. I have some pics,that i will post, i just need to recover from the past 2 days.

I'm looking for an excuse to use new found terminology from this past semester in construction science....

the crane you are referring to is a "luffing-boom crane" the types of cranes on the Hyatt site are actually called "hammerhead boom cranes"...

ok just had to do that!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 1:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Complex01 - I am pretty sure I saw you last night at NIOSA....you were the guy with the 8ft sombrero and 14 white cups stacked up in your hand, right?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 3:52 PM
Endless Moments...

He he, no i was the one with, well you know i dont know how many beer cups i had, but if anything i had a Faux Hawk, and taking pictures of cranes and stuff, he he...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 6:03 PM

I didn't really like the crowd at NIOSA on thursday...if i had been sober i really wouldn't have liked it They should make it 18+

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
I didn't really like the crowd at NIOSA on thursday...if i had been sober i really wouldn't have liked it They should make it 18+
Yeah. The 'College Nite' crowd is usually mostly people who have never been to college. Either too young or just thugish.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio