HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:15 AM
-

Patois owners to open hamburger joint early next year

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf..._hamburge.html

Delta Queen steamboat could return to Mississippi River

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s..._could_re.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:12 AM

Cool...so it's the new Rouses. Great news for the CBD/Warehouse District.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
BTW if you go to the website for the Rouses I linked you can find all the architectual drawings for what the place is going to look like. Will be a very fine store and will make for an excellent flagship for Rouses.

Link http://planroom.fhmyers.com/Default....D=RousesMarket
Thanks! I've been looking for some type of renderings for Rouses.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:50 PM
TL;DR

I like that the most direct entry is from the sidewalk. People driving to the store have to come down from the roof deck or walk all the way around the elevators to the rear lot.

The little lighted bollards lining the sidewalk are a nice touch, too.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:47 PM

Rouses is such a win for the downtown area. So much is coming online, and has recently- really coming together.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 7:25 AM
-

It really is, because I think a full service grocery store can be such a game changer for a neighborhood. Definitely think the area of the Warehouse District closest to Loyola will benefit the most.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 7:29 AM
TL;DR

Too bad nobody lives in the part of the Warehouse District nearest Loyola... we need to change that!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 12:30 PM

Rouses

930 Poydras is just up the street. Rouses will be a great convenience to the residents there.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 3:54 PM
-

No one lives there now. Thats what is great about this. An area goes from no mans land to hot hood overnight. Not too mention the new streetcar line, hyatt reno, champions square/benson tower, 930 Poydras and its high quality commercial tenants, and walk ons. The new streets help too.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 4:12 PM

Now If we could just get something to visually break up all the surface parking from pretty much Baronne to Loyola. Even a very well done parking garage with retail on the bottom wouldn't bother me.

Just for grins question: What would you all prefer to see- a rehab of the WTC or the Plaza tower?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 6:08 PM

Another restaurant/pub is opening up in 930 Poydras this month called Ste. Marie. Haven't seen many details on it yet though.

I'd much rather see the WTC developed because of its location. That spot is perfect for some type of development.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 11:20 PM

Yeah thats a hard question WTC vs Plaza Tower. I would say Plaza Tower because its so much more visible being right of the interstate and being one of the tallest buildings in the city.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 12:31 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Now If we could just get something to visually break up all the surface parking from pretty much Baronne to Loyola. Even a very well done parking garage with retail on the bottom wouldn't bother me.

Just for grins question: What would you all prefer to see- a rehab of the WTC or the Plaza tower?
Plaza Tower because I think the World Trade Center will happen eventually and Im now on the side of tearing it down and building something more amazing in its place.

BTW the new WWL studios will be a start at breaking up the surface parking.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 4:43 AM

I think the Plaza Tower would be my preference for the next major redevelopment project in the city. Since it's now been completely gutted out by the owner, anyone who wants to come in and redevelop it has a clean shell to work with.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:04 AM

Definitely, Plaza Tower. That part of downtown needs life really bad, and it makes sense to have high rise housing near the arena / superdome / streetcar. Sure the neighborhood is terribly ugly and desolate right now, but the single biggest way to change that is to make Plaza Tower a nice place to be. Fill in those lots around it with other nice buildings and it can be a decent area. Sure, its too close to central city to be as safe as people would like. But that's the story of New Orleans. Plus, those artist renderings of Plaza Tower from a few years ago looked really cool!

As for World Trade Center, I've pretty much given up on it. Tear it down and build something better, for all I care. At this point redevelopment there seems hopeless.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 3:15 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
Definitely, Plaza Tower. That part of downtown needs life really bad, and it makes sense to have high rise housing near the arena / superdome / streetcar. Sure the neighborhood is terribly ugly and desolate right now, but the single biggest way to change that is to make Plaza Tower a nice place to be. Fill in those lots around it with other nice buildings and it can be a decent area. Sure, its too close to central city to be as safe as people would like. But that's the story of New Orleans. Plus, those artist renderings of Plaza Tower from a few years ago looked really cool!

As for World Trade Center, I've pretty much given up on it. Tear it down and build something better, for all I care. At this point redevelopment there seems hopeless.
Sure Central City is close but the Interstate negates that worry for me. Simply put the city made a mistake in the 70s tearing down all those buildings to supposedly make way for where they thought all the new highrises would go.

Also this project seems neat. Any idea what it is guys?

Apartments/Store and Deli CCYAD
201000653227 v. 12
Dodge Project Report, Plans, Specs and Addenda
Apartments/Condominiums 1-3 Stories,
Supermarket/Convenience Store,
Site Development Bid Results $2,999,999 LA (Orleans)

http://dodgeprojects.construction.co...VVviewprod.htm

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Plaza Tower because I think the World Trade Center will happen eventually and Im now on the side of tearing it down and building something more amazing in its place.

BTW the new WWL studios will be a start at breaking up the surface parking.
So, WWL is still planning to build its new studio downtown? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. Any info on when that begins?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midcity View Post
So, WWL is still planning to build its new studio downtown? I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. Any info on when that begins?
I was wondering the same thing. Can't find any source that confirms that the project is still alive.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:20 PM

I was wondering the same thing. The current WWL wikipedia page says the project is halted. Can anyone confirm?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2010, 4:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
I was wondering the same thing. The current WWL wikipedia page says the project is halted. Can anyone confirm?
All I know is we saw an RFP about four months ago for the project.

BTW there are several machines pile drivers at the DDAY Museum now. So the expansion is clearly underway again.

Last edited by tennis1400; Dec 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations