HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 11:37 PM

I do not know if this is a joke or not. It is similar to that cloud thing a few years ago.
But this is in the New York Times and it seems to be serious. The article is very short does not say much.

New York Times - Cloud Nine

Last edited by LoverOfDubai; Nov 4, 2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 3:47 AM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperar View Post
So, what WILL they build next?
BAHAHAHA!!! TOTALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Dubai already has shitloads of these. Look at this:

something fitting about it though, no? a random row of mcmansions in the middle of the desert. the empty blandness of it all seems fitting, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
seriously, amid all this middle eastern-cum-vegas kitsch/pastiche architecture, the important question is: why aren't these guys throwing up a few glorious deco temples? might be a nice way for them to fool people in 30 years into thinking they were part of the modern world back as it was just becoming modern.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:58 AM

I believe the Shangri-La Hotel is Art Deco. I could be wrong: I do not know much about architectural styles.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 1:07 PM
BANNED

Yep, Shangri-La Hotel in Dubai is Art-Deco Revival...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 4:50 PM

What will Dubai build next?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 8:12 PM
Bears of antiquity

Wal-Marts, as far as the eye can see!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoverOfDubai View Post
I do not know if this is a joke or not. It is similar to that cloud thing a few years ago.
But this is in the New York Times and it seems to be serious. The article is very short does not say much.

New York Times - Cloud Nine
You've gotta be kidding me.......

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 8:31 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKmillenium View Post
Yep, Shangri-La Hotel in Dubai is Art-Deco Revival...
ah yes, the shangri-la...

this is deco revival like dr. frankenstein's monster was a revival. lol, a revival that makes one wonder if it wasn't better off dead!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:38 AM
Skyscraper Freak

Dubai will build a skyscraper to the Moon. It will have Tractor Pulls straight out of Star Wars to help stop the moon from going away. Then people will be able to go to the moon and back without trouble.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:14 PM

Fashion guru Lacroix to design Dubai tower

Kuwait-based property developer Abyaar has teamed up with top international fashion designer Christian Lacroix to establish a luxury residential tower on Dubai’s Jumeirah beach.
The 38-unit tower will include a Lacroix-designed façade, expansive lobby and luxury interiors, Abyaar said in a statement on Wednesday.

Marzooq Al Rashdan, managing director at Abyaar, said the firm had approached the French designer and established a long-term partnership that would involve similar developments around the region and internationally........

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:39 AM

Um whats the big deal with Dubai....

First of all for the most part no booze, no history, no cultre, were are the musems, parks, collages, banks, stockmarkets, muscial theatre, opera.

When all I see is a gross Houston/Miami/Dallas/Atlanta/Los Angelos/Minneapolis/Almost every city in America. I mean reallly didn't we learn from the mistakes of building expressways, and freeways. And building low density really ugly and tacky buidlings.

Also this may be off topic but i dont care... America gets all of the crap for being wasteful, but for us we need to revese and redesign our cities to use mass transit and not use cars and have better land management. But Dubai gets away with buidling all fo this stuff.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysonny1 View Post
Um whats the big deal with Dubai....

First of all for the most part no booze, no history, no cultre, were are the musems, parks, collages, banks, stockmarkets, muscial theatre, opera.
Dubai does in fact have alcohol, history, culture, museums, parks, colleges, banks, stockmarkets, musical theatres and will soon have an opera. I am not sure where you heard that Dubai has none of these, but I need to inform you that whatever that source was, it is incorrect.

Quote:
When all I see is a gross Houston/Miami/Dallas/Atlanta/Los Angelos/Minneapolis/Almost every city in America. I mean reallly didn't we learn from the mistakes of building expressways, and freeways. And building low density really ugly and tacky buidlings.
When you say "we" you are talking about the United States. Dubai is not the United States and they still have a lot to learn. They are testing everything out, like all other developing cities in the developing world and like the United States did throughout the 1900s. I should also add that the United States still has a lot to learn about expressways, suburbs and buildings just like Dubai.

Although this is not the subject of this conversation, I would like to add that Europe is probably one of the best places to learn about cities. Dubai and the United States should attempt to learn from those cities. But still, I am sure that many cities all over the world (especially in the developing world) have features to offer European cities.

Quote:
Also this may be off topic but i dont care... America gets all of the crap for being wasteful, but for us we need to revese and redesign our cities to use mass transit and not use cars and have better land management. But Dubai gets away with buidling all fo this stuff.
Actually, many media outlets (if you try to keep up-to-date with Dubai in the American media) criticize the United Arab Emirates for having the world's largest ecological footprint per capita. Also, many times they mention things about Dubai that are extremenly wasteful: such as Ski Dubai (the world's largest indoor ski slope), man-made islands, building out into the desert, many homes with private pools, etc. Also, Dubai is not as powerful or influential as the United States. The U.S. is always in the news and is noticed by many people all over the world. Therefore, they receive a lot of more criticisms than Dubai.

Many of the thoughts that you mentioned are a result of an over-generalization of Dubai. I like to think that I know a lot about Dubai. I try to keep track of things happening in Dubai and the view of Dubai in the West. Many times people do not know Dubai or understand the city. By attempting to learn more about Dubai, you will learn many things that you did not know; just like I have.

Despite my defense of Dubai, I myself see many problems throughout the city. Many times I ask "why, why, why?" I know Dubai is making so many mistakes that I am sure will impact them hard in the future. I can only hope the leaders of the emirate will notice these and attempt to fix them. Actually, many problems are beginning to appear (such as high rents, too much traffic and congestion, and a loss of local culture and many others) and there have been several attempts to remedy them; but not enough in my opinion.

Please, if you have any more questions, I would be glad to answer them. My only goal is to show the truth of Dubai.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2008, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Please, if you have any more questions, I would be glad to answer them. My only goal is to show the truth of Dubai.
That says it all; EAU DOES have flaws about it, but aren't as extreme as sammysonny1 pointed out with no base of source.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2008, 5:20 AM

please...no more mcmansions....

www.domandhyo.com

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, many media outlets (if you try to keep up-to-date with Dubai in the American media) criticize the United Arab Emirates for having the world's largest ecological footprint per capita. Also, many times they mention things about Dubai that are extremenly wasteful: such as Ski Dubai (the world's largest indoor ski slope), man-made islands, building out into the desert, many homes with private pools, etc.
One of the things I believe they need to do is stop making all those expansive green lawns and use more native desert plants and landscaping. Sure, a large green lawn looks nice, but maintaining one in the desert is highly unsustainable and wasteful. There is a reason why deserts aren't covered by acres of green grass - the climate and percipitation are not right for it.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 8:54 PM

http://www.expatriates.com/cls/3074763.html

SSC is down so i post it here. A new tower for Business Bay

and a new one for Jebel Ali Downtown:

http://www.expatriates.com/cls/3054880.html

Last edited by Julito-Dubai; Jun 28, 2008 at 9:41 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 8:40 PM
(insert title here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Dubai is already building a deathstar. It's a hotel/convention center.

----

What I want to see personally in Dubai is a Borg cube. It can be a condo/hotel.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 9:28 PM
Architecture student

Borg Cube?

The Cube is going to be build! (Dubai Sport City)

More on http://dubai.mag3.be

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:13 AM

The above images puts a happy smile on my face.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 9:25 PM
Editor/Ilustrador/Mod

The next... is moving buildings

"The Dynamic Tower" by David Fisher

And the video...
http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/90sec.html
http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/D...i_640x360.html

The Brochure: http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/b...hure-Dubai.zip
(all the images by Dynamic Architecture -website)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Middle East & Africa